1988 Patrick Division Playoff championship rings

Satans Hockey

Now I've been following this team for a long time but I'm working on clearing off my dvr now, I always set the games and then watch the intermission stuff since they don't show any of that when you're at the games. On Saturday night the former director of player personnel Marshall Johnston was on and he was wearing a Patrick division playoff championship ring. Apparently Dr. McMullen bought everyone this ring and a belt buckle because he was so excited to win the playoff division championship. I've never seen this before but thought it was pretty cool. I was looking for the belt buckle but couldn't find anything. I figured I'm not the only one who hasn't seen this before since Johnny Mac even said he forgot about it... 

voHWZbmh.jpg

7J7exVil.jpg

LFBVUwk.jpg

Edited by Satans Hockey

The Devils were actually the Patrick Division PLAYOFF Champs.  The regular season Division Champs were the Islanders that season.  McMullen must have been so happy to win SOMETHING though...and I think a lot of players on that team who were getting tired of losing needed that run badly. 

I remember all those years when that lone PDPC 1987-88 banner was all there was...even the '93-'94 season, great as it was, didn't result in any new banners.  Then a slew of them from '95 on...was fun watching them all go up. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

The Devils were actually the Patrick Division PLAYOFF Champs.  The regular season Division Champs were the Islanders that season.  McMullen must have been so happy to win SOMETHING though...and I think a lot of players on that team who were getting tired of losing needed that run badly. 

I remember all those years when that lone PDPC 1987-88 banner was all there was...even the '93-'94 season, great as it was, didn't result in any new banners.  Then a slew of them from '95 on...was fun watching them all go up. 

Thanks, updated it and that had to be awesome to watch them all go up from the beginning. I was lucky enough to see the vast majority of them go up. 

Been starting to feel old lately when there are games where some of the guys bring their kids and I realize they haven't even seen the team make the playoffs lol

Just now, Satans Hockey said:

Thanks, updated it and that had to be awesome to watch them all go up from the beginning. I was lucky enough to see the vast majority of them go up. 

Been starting to feel old lately when there are games where some of the guys bring their kids and I realize they haven't even seen the team make the playoffs lol

My daughter is starting from the same point I did, as far as the state of the team goes...I didn't start paying attention to the Devils until December 1983, when my parents took me (I was 13 at the time) and my brother (later became a Ranger fan, fvck him) to an 8-2 loss at BBA to the Flyers.  Obviously had to slog through some rotten years, same as my daughter is now.  It's funny, because she almost looks surprised when I tell her that the Devils were good for a long long time.  She's never seen a playoff game (she was only three during the '11-'12 run and simply doesn't remember any of that), and the ghosts of Devils past that I remember oh so well are just photos and stories to her.  I can't wait until she grows up with some memorable players and teams of her own...that are memorable in good ways!  What's good is that we're watching as often as possible, even though it's often painful to do so...she'll appreciate better Devils teams that much more when we see them again.  As grim as the immediate future may be, I don't see this being a decade-plus run of futility.  I do think they will at least become competitive and playoff-bound in the next 2-3 years. 

• Like 2

At the meet and greet before the Ring of Honor ceremony, Bruce Driver was telling us about this ring. He started out with a story how his 95 Cup ring was thought to have been lost when his car was stolen. Flash forward a few years and when they were cleaning out the lockers, it ended up being found randomly stashed. But yeah...he talked about how McMullen was so excited to win the division that he had these rings made for the team. Said it was one of the biggest honors to get a ring because teams never do this. Really neat. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

When Daneyko let me put on his 95 SCF ring while wasted in a Tampa Bay bar, he talked about it being the "real" first ring he won. That confused me, until now. 

Great stuff

LOL - when they did the Jersey tour with Dano, Grant and Bruce back in 2010, he also let me wear his ring (after quite a few drinks) at the Mannion's bar in Somerville. He even walked away and left me with it for like ten minutes. He eventually came back and bought me and my buddies a round of drinks. Ring was heavy asf

• Like 2

I saw this ring on one of the team doctors in the early '90's.  He was no longer with them, and I don't think he was the "team" doctor, but very medically involved.

He was surprised when I said I was a die hard...........he said most people he knew liked the Rags.......this was in Monmouth

2 hours ago, Jimmy Leeds said:

I saw this ring on one of the team doctors in the early '90's.  He was no longer with them, and I don't think he was the "team" doctor, but very medically involved.

He was surprised when I said I was a die hard...........he said most people he knew liked the Rags.......this was in Monmouth

Wasn't he a dentist? 

36 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

May I add that I too have met Dano and have worn his 1995 ring (unsolicited, he offered after I said something along the lines of "holy sh!t, '95 Champs ring!!!").

That thing has had more fingers in it than a Kardashian. 

Hope you're not referring to Rob...