GDT - Devils @ Oilers 1/12/17

NJDfan1711

1 minute ago, Gunslinger27 said:

Same old, same old ! Shero needs to address this sometime soon. Also fans need not show up for home games. Empty home seats my friends !

The place hasn't been full this season anyway and that's with them giving out tons of free tickets. Plus my seats are already paid for, staying home is just as much of a waste of money and time as is going lol

1 minute ago, Satans Hockey said:

The place hasn't been full this season anyway and that's with them giving out tons of free tickets. Plus my seats are already paid for, staying home is just as much of a waste of money and time as is going lol

lol, damned if you do and damn if you dont, lol

• Like 1

Tough loss.  I don't know whether Henrique or the person on the bench is at fault for the line change there - it certainly looked like Palmieri also tried to change and basically no one came on for him.  It's not like they played well, so 1 point is about as good as they could hope for.

Santini ended up with 18 minutes and played a decent game.  

Kalinin missed a bunch of time but it doesn't matter, he is simply not a center at the NHL level.

Power play misses Josefson, they just don't have anyone who enters the zone well.  Hall enters like it's 5 on 5, Wood has no idea (he does not belong on an NHL power play), Henrique is Henrique, Cammalleri is Cammalleri.  Zajac's too slow to do it consistently but he at least knows where the puck should go and how to get things started.

8 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

7-15-7 in their last 29 games.  About as fugly as it gets.  

Very discouraging and depressing season.  Just feels like there's less and less hope with each new loss.

You know, when you do look at it like that, it looks terrible, but...29 games is basically most of the season that has been played so far, in fact, it's the bulk of it with the exception of the earlier stages, the first 10-12 games where we started off hot and looked pretty good.  So really those numbers are just proof that you can spin and twist anything to make it seem like something when perhaps it isn't.  Maybe this is just me trying to find some positives, but if you look at our last 9 games, there's actually a few wins in there that are encouraging, and we are 4-3-2 over that span (4-4-2 if you wanna make it an even 10).  Not only that, but those few overtime losses that are also in that stretch, including last night's, again maybe this is just me being positive, BUT...I feel like those losses, in theory anyway, were close bouts considering we at least got a point, and are possibly closer to being a win and a full 2 points than they are closer to a loss and 0 points.  But maybe that's just me being naive and stupidly positive, I don't know.  What I do know is that, prior to the last 9/10 games I just mentioned, we had a very ugly skid of 5 losses in a row that hurt our record and our confidence.  That's well behind us now though, and the bright spot, in theory again, is that we have a lot of home games coming up with minimal travel, so perhaps, maybe, just maybe, things will shift in our favor a little bit.  If we can get a few guys healthy like Greene and Auvitu, maybe Josefson, who knows, maybe we string a few wins together and climb back above .500.  Not saying that's gonna do a whole lot, but I think it would capapult us back into the conversation and at least being relative again.  Take a look at a team like the Flyers, they're quite a few games above .500, and if you think about why they're in a wild card hunt right now, it's because of that insane stretch of 10 wins in a row they had.  They haven't done anything close to that since, and who knows how/why/if they even deserved that to begin with, but the fact is that it happened, and if we can go on a run of 5 losses in a row, why can't we go on our own run of 10 wins in a row (I'm speaking rhetorically, I, you, and everyone else here can give me a lot of reasons why we can't lol).

But you get my point.  And speaking of point...we got one last night.  Let's get 2 tonight, and start something magical.  

12 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Team just flat out sucks.  Discouraging to watch them, but at least tickets for games should be even more dirt cheap with the exception of the Rangers games.

Agree this team does suck and tickets should be cheaper for home games but I don't get very excited with a cheap ticket watching a sh!tty team, it's like why bother.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BostonNala370 said:

Agree this team does suck and tickets should be cheaper for home games but I don't get very excited with a cheap ticket watching a sh!tty team, it's like why bother.

It's a time killer.  I have only planned to go to 1-2 games a months this season anyways and have been doing that so far.  Down from my 15-20 games a season.

58 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

You know, when you do look at it like that, it looks terrible, but...29 games is basically most of the season that has been played so far, in fact, it's the bulk of it with the exception of the earlier stages, the first 10-12 games where we started off hot and looked pretty good.  So really those numbers are just proof that you can spin and twist anything to make it seem like something when perhaps it isn't.  Maybe this is just me trying to find some positives, but if you look at our last 9 games, there's actually a few wins in there that are encouraging, and we are 4-3-2 over that span (4-4-2 if you wanna make it an even 10).  Not only that, but those few overtime losses that are also in that stretch, including last night's, again maybe this is just me being positive, BUT...I feel like those losses, in theory anyway, were close bouts considering we at least got a point, and are possibly closer to being a win and a full 2 points than they are closer to a loss and 0 points.  But maybe that's just me being naive and stupidly positive, I don't know.  What I do know is that, prior to the last 9/10 games I just mentioned, we had a very ugly skid of 5 losses in a row that hurt our record and our confidence.  That's well behind us now though, and the bright spot, in theory again, is that we have a lot of home games coming up with minimal travel, so perhaps, maybe, just maybe, things will shift in our favor a little bit.  If we can get a few guys healthy like Greene and Auvitu, maybe Josefson, who knows, maybe we string a few wins together and climb back above .500.  Not saying that's gonna do a whole lot, but I think it would capapult us back into the conversation and at least being relative again.  Take a look at a team like the Flyers, they're quite a few games above .500, and if you think about why they're in a wild card hunt right now, it's because of that insane stretch of 10 wins in a row they had.  They haven't done anything close to that since, and who knows how/why/if they even deserved that to begin with, but the fact is that it happened, and if we can go on a run of 5 losses in a row, why can't we go on our own run of 10 wins in a row (I'm speaking rhetorically, I, you, and everyone else here can give me a lot of reasons why we can't lol).

But you get my point.  And speaking of point...we got one last night.  Let's get 2 tonight, and start something magical.  

I'm all for optimism, and that's how I try to roll...but this team just looks too overmatched and overwhelmed too often to feel like anything magical is coming...there's just been so little progress, and that's all I wanted to see...I actually expected the Devils to put up less points than last season from the get-go, but I thought they were going to become a more compelling product, with reasons to say "Yep, we're going the right way."  Sure, the record's not awful over the last nine, but that was to be expected with the schedule easing up.  But no matter how you slice it, when you consider that this team has all of four regulation wins in their last 29 games...FOUR!...and only nine on the season...that's just another reminder of how shaky this team is.

For the first time, I'm actually very open to the Devils moving Schneider in the near future (though I doubt it will happen anytime soon).  The guy can't win here...if he has a bad month or two, the team can't overcome it...when he plays well and helps keeps his teams in games with little to no margin for error, they can't score enough to support him...every iffy goal gets blown up as a result.  November and December were bad months for him, goes without saying, but for the most of his time as a Devil, he's been very good (.921 save% as a Devil, even with his .909 mark this season).  And he has nothing to show for it (81-85-34 record here).

If he was 25 or 26, I'd say keep him...but he'll be 31 in two months, and I don't see this team being able to challenge for a playoff berth for at least two more years.  That will make Cory 33 or 34 by the time the Devils might be icing a decent team.  It's really too bad, because he's obviously quite good a lot of the time, and an easy guy to root for.  But his career is being wasted in NJ.  I'd be very sorry to see him go, but he's quickly becoming an unnecessary luxury here. 

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I'm all for optimism, and that's how I try to roll...but this team just looks too overmatched and overwhelmed too often to feel like anything magical is coming...there's just been so little progress, and that's all I wanted to see...I actually expected the Devils to put up less points than last season from the get-go, but I thought they were going to become a more compelling product, with reasons to say "Yep, we're going the right way."  Sure, the record's not awful over the last nine, but that was to be expected with the schedule easing up.  But no matter how you slice it, when you consider that this team has all of four regulation wins in their last 29 games...FOUR!...and only nine on the season...that's just another reminder of how shaky this team is.

For the first time, I'm actually very open to the Devils moving Schneider in the near future (though I doubt it will happen anytime soon).  The guy can't win here...if he has a bad month or two, the team can't overcome it...when he plays well and helps keeps his teams in games with little to no margin for error, they can't score enough to support him...every iffy goal gets blown up as a result.  November and December were bad months for him, goes without saying, but for the most of his time as a Devil, he's been very good (.921 save% as a Devil, even with his .909 mark this season).  And he has nothing to show for it (81-85-34 record here).

If he was 25 or 26, I'd say keep him...but he'll be 31 in two months, and I don't see this team being able to challenge for a playoff berth for at least two more years.  That will make Cory 33 or 34 by the time the Devils might be icing a decent team.  It's really too bad, because he's obviously quite good a lot of the time, and an easy guy to root for.  But his career is being wasted in NJ.  I'd be very sorry to see him go, but he's quickly becoming an unnecessary luxury here. 

I also didn't think I would say trade Schneider  but you're correct about the situation  so trade him. Also Hall will waste his time here while it takes this club to get its act together so trade him for young prospects. Our susposed best players can all take a hike, Cammy, Palms Greene and Henrique. This is a very bad rebuild and needs to start again. Very sad

Just now, BostonNala370 said:

I also didn't think I would say trade Schneider  but you're correct about the situation  so trade him. Also Hall will waste his time here while it takes this club to get its act together so trade him for young prospects. Our susposed best players can all take a hike, Cammy, Palms Greene and Henrique. This is a very bad rebuild and needs to start again. Very sad

Hall is still young enough that he can be part of the solution...he's only 25.  Plenty of good years left in him. 

9 minutes ago, BostonNala370 said:

Understood but sooner than later is isn't going to want to wait for the fix, it too big a fix.

Trading Hall this quickly is REALLY throwing in the towel too soon.  Right now, the Devils need young pieces, and Hall is one of them.  If they're still looking hopeless in three years, they can move Hall as he's heading into his walk year. 

If Cory was younger, I would feel the same way...of course, he has a no-trade, so any trade talk about Cory might be a waste of time. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Trading Hall this quickly is REALLY throwing in the towel too soon.  Right now, the Devils need young pieces, and Hall is one of them.  If they're still looking hopeless in three years, they can move Hall as he's heading into his walk year. 

If Cory was younger, I would feel the same way...of course, he has a no-trade, so any trade talk about Cory might be a waste of time. 

With the way Cory was pissed last night and the countless times he has been hung out to dry by this team I would figure Cory wouldn't be too against waiving that NTC if it means going to a contender.

Just now, DevsMan84 said:

With the way Cory was pissed last night and the countless times he has been hung out to dry by this team I would figure Cory wouldn't be too against waiving that NTC if it means going to a contender.

I agree, if I'm Cory I'm probably wondering about possibly playing for a better team, but sometimes these guys surprise you.  Not everyone craves playing for a contender first and foremost...not saying that is the case with Cory, but sometimes other considerations (a player not wanting to move or uproot his family, etc) that most fans don't really think about sometimes come into play.  And some of these guys really do want to slog through the lean years and be a part of the improvement process, or are simply that loyal. 

49 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

You make a good point OK 2 or 3 years. Lets hope that isn't necessary.

just finished watching this BS on replay... the bad change everyone is talking about isn't the one that cost us the two pts, it was the tying goal bad change which left slowpoke pelly trying to backcheck the trailer.. horrible.  not a great rebound by cory, and he has to cover that puck.. but yeah the 4 guys standing there was beyond soft..  cmmy with henri on the halfboards is aggravating , cammy just cant pass. how many times does he just give the puck away... and please , a sauser pass is just that,, a frisbee like rotation, not a bouncing puck.  greene-severson, Merrill-santini, just do it hynes.

btw. Merrill was mad at himself, how many times do they tell the kid take away the pass 2v1.. serious brain cramps 4 years in.. but he's had to good games vs mcdavid 1 v 1