2018 JETS

Beezer34

http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/66392/bucs-backup-mike-glennon-emerges-on-jets-quarterback-radar

Glennon, Cousins, Taylor, McCarron, RGIII, Romo, McCown, Cutler, Kaepernick, Hoyer, Garoppolo.. the Jets have their pick of the litter. Cimini breaks it down.

Next season, for the Jets.. BEGINS NOW!

Edited by Beezer34

No way the Patriots trade Garoppolo to the Jets...c'mon.  Glennon seems like a good move though.  Still young and his (limited) body of work is pretty respectable...kind of surprised no one's attempted to trade for him.  At any rate, Jets could sign him to a 2-year "Show Me" deal, where if he doesn't look good after his first season, they could move or cut him.

5 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

I wouldn't want him if they WERE willing to trade Garropolo to the Jets, aka Bledsoe to the Bills or McNabb to the Skins. It's buyer beware if they're open to trading him to a rival

I remember being pretty blown away by that at the time...wow, they're really willing to trade Bledsoe to a division foe?!  And Bledsoe actually was terrific for the Bills in his first eight games (and pretty good overall in his first Bills season)...I'll never forget when the Bills beat the Pats 31-0 in Week 1 (that was the start of Bledsoe's second season in Buffalo), more than one person actually said "The Patriots traded the wrong QB!"  Bledsoe crashed and burned pretty horribly with the Bills after that...his last two seasons with them were dreadful. 

I don't think the Patriots should trade Garoppolo at all. Unless they're secretly super high in Brissett. Garoppolo will go to an NFC team if he is traded. Perhaps Chicago. But really he's probably the Patriots QB of the future.

I'm on the fence with Glennon. I discount his W/L because Tampa was a mess when they brought him in. He is tall and gangly and immobile in an NFL where you really need a guy who can elude the rush...but has a great arm and is gutsy. 

His sample size from last year was microscopic but...10/11 75 yards and a TD. He's only attempted 630 NFL passes and he's at least proven to be not to be mistake prone with the ball. His completion % could stand to be better but again...Tampa was not very good back then. I think at one point his #2 receiver was Tiquan Underwood?

3 hours ago, '7' said:

I don't think the Patriots should trade Garoppolo at all. Unless they're secretly super high in Brissett. Garoppolo will go to an NFC team if he is traded. Perhaps Chicago. But really he's probably the Patriots QB of the future.

I'm on the fence with Glennon. I discount his W/L because Tampa was a mess when they brought him in. He is tall and gangly and immobile in an NFL where you really need a guy who can elude the rush...but has a great arm and is gutsy. 

His sample size from last year was microscopic but...10/11 75 yards and a TD. He's only attempted 630 NFL passes and he's at least proven to be not to be mistake prone with the ball. His completion % could stand to be better but again...Tampa was not very good back then. I think at one point his #2 receiver was Tiquan Underwood?

Good point on Glennon.

I actually think that both Rivers & Brees could be available too (if the price is right) despite no one really mentioning them. 4 of the last 5 seasons for New Orleans have ended 7-9. You're going to tell me that if the Jets dangle the 6th overall pick in the draft.. the Saints ain't gonna bite? --doubtful

The Jets aren't close enough to being a win-now team where they should trade the 6th overall pick.  Yeah yeah I know, elite QB's turn teams from 4-12 to 12-4, but who's gonna protect Brees?  The OL's a mess, and the D's just about as bad as the ones Brees has had - clearly other areas need work too.  Build the foundation the way the Jets did when they drafted D'Brick and Mangold in the first round and set themselves up to be in the mix for a decade.

Edited by NJDevs4978

21 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

The Jets aren't close enough to being a win-now team where they should trade the 6th overall pick. Yeah yeah I know, elite QB's turn teams from 4-12 to 12-4, but who's gonna protect Brees? The OL's a mess, and the D's just about as bad as the ones Brees has had - clearly other areas need work too. Build the foundation the way the Jets did when they drafted D'Brick and Mangold in the first round and set themselves up to be in the mix for a decade.

You're arguing against your own point here. "Elite QB's turn 4-12 teams into 12-4" --END! The conversation ends there. When I look at Brees, (and the mess the 2016 season was for the Jets) I don't look at him as a guy that will cure the defense. I look at the games I lost, and wonder: Could I have won them with Brees? A 21-3 loss to the Chiefs. A 23-22 loss to Cincinnati. A 22-17 loss to the Pats. A 9-6 loss to the Rams. etc. You'd be amazed how a franchise QB can magician 3 or 4 more wins out of a smoke & mirrors team. As is.. the Jets somehow won 5 games, with the 32nd worst QB play in the NFL.

EDIT:  And for everything everyone says about how bad the Jets defense was this season.. they practically finished Top 10 in the league. The revered New York Giants (who everyone and their Mothers sucked off all year) actually finished only one spot above the Jets, after spending: $200,000,000.00 LITERALLY in the offseason. If you judge them fairly, the Jets stabilized mid-season defensively. It wasn't until Week 13 after they lost that 9-6 game where the defense said fvck this and mailed it in. The Saints defense finished 27th in the league.

Edited by Beezer34

2 minutes ago, Beezer34 said:

You're arguing against your own point here. "Elite QB's turn 4-12 teams into 12-4" --END! The conversation ends there. When I look at Brees, (and the mess the 2016 season was for the Jets) I don't look at him as a guy that will cure the defense. I look at the games I lost, and wonder: Could I have won them with Brees? A 21-3 loss to the Chiefs. A 23-22 loss to Cincinnati. A 22-17 loss to the Pats. A 9-6 loss to the Rams. etc. You'd be amazed how a franchise QB can magician 3 or 4 more wins out of a smoke & mirrors team. As is.. the Jets somehow won 5 games, with the 32nd worst QB play in the NFL.

EDIT:  And for everything everyone says about how bad the Jets defense was this season.. they practically finished Top 10 in the league. The revered New York Giants (who everyone and their Mothers sucked off all year) actually finished only one spot above the Jets, after spending: $200,000,000.00 LITERALLY in the offseason. If you judge them fairly, the Jets stabilized mid-season defensively. It wasn't until Week 13 after they lost that 9-6 game where the defense said fvck this and mailed it in. The Saints defense finished 27th in the league.

brees just turned 38. u really parting with picks for a qb that old?

1 minute ago, SS#4-Life said:

brees just turned 38. u really parting with picks for a qb that old?

Yes. (and that's an easy question to answer) I don't think the Saints would be stupid enough to trade Brees. But if they were to entertain a trade with the Jets.. I would make that in a heartbeat.

Favre played until he was 42. Testaverde was 43. Brady will probably play until he's 45. As long as the QB is still producing, who cares how old he is. QB's are playing later and later. Brees is coming off a year throwing 5,000+ yrds, 40 TD's. If Maccagnan can get 3 seasons out of Brees, they should build a statue of him @ MetLife. I'll worry about who's playing QB for the Jets in 2020. Until then, give me Brees.

39 minutes ago, Beezer34 said:

I was being facetious, Brees hasn't turned his own team into 12-4 for the last few years and unlike us they have an NFL coach.  Yes a great QB can make a difference but he isn't going to make enough of a difference at this point of his career with this team for it to matter.

If we were the Houston Texans by all means, trade two first rounders for him yesterday.  The Broncos, sure.  But this team is below average.  Getting Brees and a bunch of short-term vets to go 9-7 or 10-6 while blowing up the cap even more is just delaying the inevitable.  Brees, Romo, whatever guy you want to name isn't going to fix this sorry excuse of a team.  They need to start an actual rebuild instead of an ill-advised patch.  Whether Maccagnan's the guy to do it is another story, his drafts have been suspect at best so far but it's still a touch on the early side.

Edited by NJDevs4978

I don't think it was based on anything concrete, but Francessa brought up the idea that the Browns would trade the first overall pick for Garropolo.  Imagine that, winning the Super Bowl and having the number 1 pick.  I think that's pie in the sky, but trading the number 12 overall, which Cleveland has, seems like a decent bet, even though I wouldn't do it.  Remember Matt Cassell when you want to trade for Tom Brady's back-up.  

Onto the Jets, I would go the free agent route for a QB and not give up any draft picks for one, the only exception being that I would give up a third rounder and something else minor for Romo.  If Jerry thinks he can do better, thwn so be it.  The Jets are not getting a long-term franchise QB except by pure luck , a la Brady or Russell Wilson.  And tanking to get a franchise QB in the NFL only works for one team maybe every ten or fifteen years, when someone like Andrew Luck comes around.  So maybe try to build a team the way the Broncos have, which is to try to build a dominating defense, which has taken the Broncos and the Seahawks farther than Andrew Luck has ever gotten.  

EDIT:  And for people talking about trading for Brees, I would also say buyer beware, especially if you don't play your home games in a dome or in a place with pleasant weather year round.  I haven't looked at any statistics, but my impression is that Brees is a much different QB when he's playing in less than ideal conditions.   Seems like that was part of the reason for Kurt Warner's horrendous time as the Giant's QB and his resurgence when he went to Arizona. 

Edited by Daniel

17 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

I was being facetious, Brees hasn't turned his own team into 12-4 for the last few years and unlike us they have an NFL coach.  Yes a great QB can make a difference but he isn't going to make enough of a difference at this point of his career with this team for it to matter.

If we were the Houston Texans by all means, trade two first rounders for him yesterday.  The Broncos, sure.  But this team is below average.  Getting Brees and a bunch of short-term vets to go 9-7 or 10-6 while blowing up the cap even more is just delaying the inevitable.  Brees, Romo, whatever guy you want to name isn't going to fix this sorry excuse of a team.  They need to start an actual rebuild instead of an ill-advised patch.  Whether Maccagnan's the guy to do it is another story, his drafts have been suspect at best so far but it's still a touch on the early side.

I don't ever believe in a "full rebuild" when it comes to football. The NHL\MLB\NBA, sure.. but not football. The NFL is so crazy that each and every year, you have a viable shot to do damage. The 2012 Ravens were riddled with flaws. The 9-7 Giants from 2011 the same story. That didn't stop them from winning Superbowls.

It's the NFL. It's a season where (depending on mathups, injuries, luck, etc) you can trip your way into a 9-10 win season. And then in the playoffs it's single elimination where anything's possible. The 2016 Jets are the exact same team as the 2015 Jets.. with the exception of Jeff Cumberland, Jeremy Kerley & Antonio Cromartie. Don't tell me that they were the difference in a 5 win swing.. because they weren't. Time and time again over the last 10 years, you'll see examples of teams doing exceptional things with numerous holes on their teams. Hasselbeck's Seahawks, Grossman's Bears, Kaepernick's 49ers.. they all found their way into Superbowls, with very flawed teams.

EDIT: Regarding your point on: "Bree's hasn't turned his own team around" :rolleyes: Have you watched Saints games this season?? A 41-38 victory against Carolina, with Brees throwing 4 TD's, 465 yrds. A 48-41 victory against Arizona, with Brees throwing 4 TD's, 400 yrds. A 41-33 games against SF, with Brees again throwing 4 TD's. Another 4 TD performance against the Rams where the Saints scored 49 points. THEIR DEFENSE IS DOGSH!T. They're a 2-14\3-13 team without Brees. It's actually AMAZING that he's gotten that team --void of talent-- a game below .500 this season. If they're a losing team with a guy that notched 40 TD's, 5,000+ yrds.. how many wins are they registering with the next guy that comes after Brees?

Edited by Beezer34

1 minute ago, Beezer34 said:

I don't ever believe in a "full rebuild" when it comes to football. The NHL\MLB\NBA, sure.. but not football. The NFL is so crazy that each and every year, you have a viable shot to do damage. The 2012 Ravens were riddled with flaws. The 9-7 Giants from 2011 the same story. That didn't stop them from winning Superbowls.

It's the NFL. It's a season where (depending on mathups, injuries, luck, etc) you can trip your way into a 9-10 win season. And then in the playoffs it's single elimination where anything's possible. The 2016 Jets are the exact same team as the 2015 Jets.. with the exception of Jeff Cumberland, Jeremy Kerley & Antonio Cromartie. Don't tell me that they were the difference in a 5 win swing.. because they weren't. Time and time again over the last 10 years, you'll see examples of teams doing exceptional things with numerous holes on their teams. Hasselbeck's Seahawks, Grossman's Bears, Kaepernick's 49ers.. they all found their way into Superbowls, with very flawed teams.

Maybe not Grossman's Bears, but both the Seahawks and 49ers had excellent coaching.  The 49ers' defense was also a lot better than what the Jets can expect to have next year, and Kaepernick and the read option took the league by storm in the same way that the Wildcat managed to help the Dolphins win the division.  The other big difference in hoping for things to turn around by luck is that none of the teams you mentioned had a dominant team like the Patriots in their division.  So you're already competing with one hand tied behind your back from the start.  Yeah, the Jets managed to get to two conference finals even with the big bad Patriots around, but they can't count on finding a cornerback that was a dominating as Revis was back then.

22 minutes ago, Daniel said:

And for people talking about trading for Brees, I would also say buyer beware, especially if you don't play your home games in a dome or in a place with pleasant weather year round.  I haven't looked at any statistics, but my impression is that Brees is a much different QB when he's playing in less than ideal conditions.   Seems like that was part of the reason for Kurt Warner's horrendous time as the Giant's QB and his resurgence when he went to Arizona. 

Brees vs the elements: https://www.playerprofiler.com/article/drew-brees-advanced-stats-metrics-home-road-splits/

Kurt Warner's stint with the Giants is also misunderstood. That was a very flawed team. Warner was given 9 starts, and he posted a respectable 5-4 record. Then they gave Eli the remaining 7 games, and he went 1-6. Warner didn't struggle because of late-summer\earl-fall like conditions with the Giants playing in September & October.

2 minutes ago, Beezer34 said:

Brees vs the elements: https://www.playerprofiler.com/article/drew-brees-advanced-stats-metrics-home-road-splits/

Kurt Warner's stint with the Giants is also misunderstood. That was a very flawed team. Warner was given 9 starts, and he posted a respectable 5-4 record. Then they gave Eli the remaining 7 games, and he went 1-6. Warner didn't struggle because of late-summer\earl-fall like conditions with the Giants playing in September & October.

This is a fantasy football analysis, and also just talks about dome versus non-dome.   By virtue of playing in the NFC South at least two of his non-dome games are played in temperate conditions, much different than the cold and swirling wind of Metlife come mid-November.

What we do know is that the Saints have been a pretty bad road team in recent years.  And the fantasy football statistics don't tell you whether a lot of those non-dome numbers were put up in garbage time (Ryan Tannehill's season and fantasy statistics have been inflated in this manner) or whether the Saints got into an early hole and had to throw more than they usually would.  The article also glosses over the fact that his QB rating is 15 points lower when he's not playing in a dome.

Bottom line, Brees would help the Jets a lot, just not enough to get them where they want to go for the price they'd have to pay, which would be at least this year's first and next year's first.  As a Dolphins fan, I'd be happy if the Jets did that.  Even though it means the Jets will be a tougher team to play for the next couple of years, I know that their Super Bowl drought will continue. 

1 hour ago, Beezer34 said:

EDIT: Regarding your point on: "Bree's hasn't turned his own team around" :rolleyes: Have you watched Saints games this season?? A 41-38 victory against Carolina, with Brees throwing 4 TD's, 465 yrds. A 48-41 victory against Arizona, with Brees throwing 4 TD's, 400 yrds. A 41-33 games against SF, with Brees again throwing 4 TD's. Another 4 TD performance against the Rams where the Saints scored 49 points. THEIR DEFENSE IS DOGSH!T. They're a 2-14\3-13 team without Brees. It's actually AMAZING that he's gotten that team --void of talent-- a game below .500 this season. If they're a losing team with a guy that notched 40 TD's, 5,000+ yrds.. how many wins are they registering with the next guy that comes after Brees?

Did you see OUR team this season? Our defense was every bit as bad as the Saints. I didn't say them going 7-9 was his fault, just pointing out there was only so much even he could do with a substandard team. Just like there's only so much he could do with us.

And sure you can make the case a turnaround is easier in the NFL, defining a turnaround as going from 4-12 to 10-6, but it's harder to build a legit championship contender. That doesn't happen overnight and requires more than one move and one season. A lot of the teams that do go from 4-12 to 10-6 come crashing back down the next year, like us. Would the Browns or 49ers go from 1-15 to 10-6 with Brees? Not alone. They could go to 10-6 with spending on Brees and other vets but where would that leave them in a year or two when the vets get old and the bill comes due after early playoff exits? Same place we're in now.  

You're equating a turnaround with being a playoff team because all playoff teams 'have a chance'. And that's fine but not the same thing as building a real contender. You get Brees when you're a couple moves away from that (say the 2008-09 Jets) not several or more. In a salary cap NFL you have to be judicious when you take your shots. You can't take a shot with a bad foundation that has no chance of winning a SB, then have to reset and waste another two years getting out of cap hell.

The Ravens and Giants are faulty examples cause the Ravens were consistent contenders who'd been to the championship game the year before, while the Giants arguably underachieved to go 9-7, then pulled an inside straight not only to make the playoffs at 9-7 but to also win four road playoff games. You can always come up with outliers to prove any point, I can cite the '02 Bucs, '00 Ravens or even last year's Broncos if I wanted to say you can win with below average QB play but it's not a realistic model to copy.

And the main difference between last year's Jets and this year's is simpler than that - schedule, schedule, schedule. That and Revis falling off a cliff, Decker getting hurt early and the o-line deteriorating with D'Brick retiring (you egregiously left him out of your comparison of last year's team to now) and Mangold getting hurt.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Regarding scheduling, only two games for each team in any given division are based on the previous season's finish...that's 12 common opponents for everyone in the AFC East (out a possible 14 games, as a team obviously can't play against itself):

2017 Patriots Opponents

Away: Steelers, Bucs, Saints, Raiders, Broncos, Bills, Dolphins, Jets            Home: Texans, Panthers, Falcons, Chargers, Chiefs, Bills, Dolphins, Jets

2017 Jets Opponents

Away: Browns, Bucs, Saints, Raiders, Broncos, Bills, Dolphins, Patriots       Home: Jaguars, Panthers, Falcons, Chargers, Chiefs, Bills, Dolphins, Patriots

2017 Bills Opponents

Away: Colts, Bucs, Saints, Raiders, Broncos, Jets, Dolphins, Patriots           Home: Bengals, Panthers, Falcons, Chargers, Chiefs, Bills, Dolphins, Patriots

2017 Dolphins Opponents

Away: Titans, Bucs, Saints, Raiders, Broncos, Jets, Bills, Patriots                 Home: Ravens, Panthers, Falcons, Chargers, Chiefs, Jets, Bills, Patriots

Dolphins gets screwed out of a home game, as they will be going to London to play the Saints.

I'm guilty of it too, but we probably make a bigger deal out of the schedules than we really need to.  It's also very year-to-year...games that seem tough going in suddenly aren't, and vise-versa. 

5 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Did you see OUR team this season?

Yeah.. I did. And in no way shape or form was our defense as horrid as the Saints.

There's a lot of overstatements\exaggerations when it comes to football, especially in this area with the NY media\fans.. and the Jets are falling into that right now after last season. The defense finished 11th.. it's hot garbage! Revis had a bad year.. so he's finished. Mangold, Carpenter, Giacomini, Winters all got hurt.. that means our o-line's in shambles. :blahblah: It's exhausting hearing it. The Jets are in no way a very good team.. but they're not a very bad team either. --and I'm confident that we'll have a bounce-back year next season to prove my statement. This doesn't have to be a 4-5 year process. The Giants proved that in June. With the proper tweaks here & there, Maccagnan can turn this around very quickly.. and yes, acquiring a QB the caliber of Rivers\Brees\Romo solves 75% the Jets issues.

5 hours ago, Daniel said:

As a Dolphins fan, I'd be happy if the Jets did that. Even though it means the Jets will be a tougher team to play for the next couple of years, I know that their Super Bowl drought will continue.

That's bullsh!t, and you know it. What would you care the state of the Jets in the year 2021, when your team just had a 10 win season and made the playoffs?? You're trying to build off of what you had last year. Trying to improve on last year with the players you have currently.. and you'd be happy playing in a Division with Brees & Brady, because it would cripple the Jets 4 years from now? :rofl:rubbish.

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Regarding scheduling, only two games for each team in any given division are based on the previous season's finish. That's 12 common opponents for everyone in the AFC East (out a possible 14 games, as a team obviously can't play against itself) I'm guilty of it too, but we probably make a bigger deal out of the schedules than we really need to.  It's also very year-to-year...games that seem tough going in suddenly aren't, and vise-versa. 

I've always maintained that.. which is why the Jets can never win the AFC East, as long as BB & TB are still around. Even in years like last season, where the Jets won 10 games off of sub .500 teams.. the Pats played the same teams, and won 12. In 2010 the Jets won 11 games -- didn't matter.. the Pats won 13. etc..

1 hour ago, Beezer34 said:

Yeah.. I did. And in no way shape or form was our defense as horrid as the Saints.

There's a lot of overstatements\exaggerations when it comes to football, especially in this area with the NY media\fans.. and the Jets are falling into that right now after last season. The defense finished 11th..

You're looking at yards per game with that 11th ranking, I don't know why you always put that over points per game in rating defenses (both stats in themselves you can argue are faulty but points per game are more bottom-line to me) but in points per game the Jets were 28th, the Saints 31st.  Both teams were equally pitiful in forcing turnovers.  And you know in certain games teams could have piled up more yards and more points on us in the second half of games we were already out of and just running out the clock on if they needed to torch our secondary some more, while teams had to move the ball and keep scoring on the Saints for four quarters cause their offense put up points.

And in terms of the schedule sure there's no 'last place' schedule anymore CR...but there's no denying there was a difference between 2015 when the Jets played a mediocre NFC East/bad AFC South and this year when they played the AFC North and NFC West, granted you did get three pretty bad teams - against which we went 2-1 - a talented but mediocre Arizona team and four pretty good teams including the Bengals before injuries finished them.  Schedules aren't determined by record as much as they are by luck of what straw you draw and what division you're in, it also didn't help the Fish were much better than they were last year (the Bills/Pats remained much the same as last year).

Edited by NJDevs4978

13 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

And in terms of the schedule sure there's no 'last place' schedule anymore CR...but there's no denying there was a difference between 2015 when the Jets played a mediocre NFC East/bad AFC South and this year when they played the AFC North and NFC West, granted you did get three pretty bad teams - against which we went 2-1 - a talented but mediocre Arizona team and four pretty good teams including the Bengals before injuries finished them.  Schedules aren't determined by record as much as they are by luck of what straw you draw and what division you're in, it also didn't help the Fish were much better than they were last year (the Bills/Pats remained much the same as last year).

We're basically in agreement...that's what I meant with the "year-to-year" thing (like you point out, those four "other AFC division games" and four NFC games can vary wildly from season-to-season, from an overall quality-of-opponents standpoint).  My point was more that we still hear "easy schedule/hard schedule", with people tying the schedules to how a given team finished, when that only affects two games on the schedule per season...and as we've seen, those "easy" or "hard" games can go the other way in the course of an offseason or within the next season.  Right now it's pretty easy to think that the Jets should beat Jacksonville and Cleveland.  But sometimes in today's NFL, those teams suddenly improve enough to where they become much tougher outs. 

I agree with your take on ranking defenses by yards-allowed-per-game and points-per-game...ranking defenses is a little tricky because there's other moving parts (the offense and special teams) that affect how a defense performs.  How much time is a given D spending on the field?  What kind of field position is their opponent getting?  Is the defense penalty-prone (penalty yards aren't tallied up with yards-allowed)?  My problem with some of Rex's Ds was that some of them finished with good yards-allowed numbers, but so often, you could never could on them to make the big stops.  That's been a problem with BB & Puppet's Ds for a while now too...this year has been different, in that the Pats D of recent seasons was giving up a ton of yards, but finishing middle-of-the-pack in points allowed...classic "Bend But Don't Break"...only they'd break against the better teams, and usually at the worst possible times (it almost happened again against Seattle in the Super Bowl...thank God for Pete Carroll). 

Sometimes you have to go with your eyes...you KNOW if a defense is really what their numbers suggest.  You KNOW if you feel comfortable when they're on the field with the game on the line. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

18 hours ago, Beezer34 said:

That's bullsh!t, and you know it. What would you care the state of the Jets in the year 2021, when your team just had a 10 win season and made the playoffs?? You're trying to build off of what you had last year. Trying to improve on last year with the players you have currently.. and you'd be happy playing in a Division with Brees & Brady, because it would cripple the Jets 4 years from now? :rofl:rubbish.

You're not looking at the cost when it comes to acquiring someone like Brees.  He would cost you two first round picks, at a minimum, not to mention his cap hit, which prevents you from upgrading at other positions of need.  (Notice how the Patriots are always acquiring a lot of picks, not giving them up).  He's 38, would now be playing most of his games outside of a dome behind an offensive line that will only get worse and with a receiving corps that figures to get worse without Marshall.  It also doesn't help that the head coach is pretty terrible. 

The bottom line is that if the Jets want to be in a position for long term success, they should not be mortgaging the future for a guy who's had trouble getting his own team into the playoffs for the past four years or so.  If he were cut, or you could otherwise get him on the cheap that would be one thing.  But that's not happening.