2018 JETS

Beezer34

It's not unprecedented. Dan Rooney was ambassador to Ireland a few years ago. I'm not sure anything will change...Woody will still be a call or text message away interjecting his dumb opinions. I doubt his reigns will loosen much.

Jets have hired John Morton as their OC. Was previously the Saints WR coach and called plays for USC in the past. 

Seems like a JAG OC. At least he's coming from a high powered offense but I'm not thrilled or particularly upset at the pick.

Yea Quinn is an idiot...well that is kind of harsh but this will probably be the closest he ever gets.

I know it's Shanahan who calls the plays but when all of American is screaming at you to run the ball, kill the clock, set up the field goal and you're dropping back...getting sacked and fumbling and taking holding calls...I mean this is uncharted levels of playcalling idiocy. That was right up there with Carroll in terms of idiocy

• 2 weeks later...

The criminal docket sheet has just been released on Revis. He is being charged with 4 counts of felony, and 2 misdemeanor. Terroristic Threats, Conspiracy, Theft & Robbery, and Aggravated Assault. There is an open warrant out for his arrest, but people close to him are saying he's going to turn himself over to the police. --  Revis turns 32 in July.

..and so ends the career of Darrelle Revis. Mindboggling. Simply mindboggling.

The criminal docket sheet has just been released on Revis. He is being charged with 4 counts of felony, and 2 misdemeanor. Terroristic Threats, Conspiracy, Theft & Robbery, and Aggravated Assault. There is an open warrant out for his arrest, but people close to him are saying he's going to turn himself over to the police. --  Revis turns 32 in July.

..and so ends the career of Darrelle Revis. Mindboggling. Simply mindboggling.

That's insane. Just fvcking insane.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Even if it turns out he was provoked/did nothing wrong, WHEN OH WHEN will these athletes ever learn that nothing good comes from being out past 1 in the morning?!

Probably never. They will do what they desire. Money. Fortune. Fame. Most athletes are hanging out at clubs, bars or strip clubs. Their lives aren't normal. You would think they would use more caution. 

I can't put up with this. He went from All-Pro to a sh!t player overnight...now this (and Revis never had off the field problems before)

I know it's offseason but this is just a continuation of the poorly disciplined Bowles era Jets.

13 hours ago, '7' said:

I know it's offseason but this is just a continuation of the poorly disciplined Bowles era Jets.

You hit the nail on the head. If this was under Rex, they'd want him tar & feather'd in a public square. He's heading into his 3rd year with the Jets, and has shown absolutely no signs of growth whatsoever. The double-standard with this guy is nauseating.

29 minutes ago, Beezer34 said:

You hit the nail on the head. If this was under Rex, they'd want him tar & feather'd in a public square. He's heading into his 3rd year with the Jets, and has shown absolutely no signs of growth whatsoever. The double-standard with this guy is nauseating.

So is Bowles now supposed to babysit a guy in the offseason, who was never known for having any off-the-field issues previously?  Sounds like Revis was in the wrong place at the wrong time.  I don't know how this reflects on Bowles.  Not saying he's been a great coach, but the guy can't be blamed for everything...especially stuff that happens out of his "jurisdiction".    

26 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

So is Bowles now supposed to babysit a guy in the offseason, who was never known for having any off-the-field issues previously?  Sounds like Revis was in the wrong place at the wrong time.  I don't know how this reflects on Bowles.  Not saying he's been a great coach, but the guy can't be blamed for everything...especially stuff that happens out of his "jurisdiction".    

He can't but...generally when you attempt to change a culture of losing into winning, you want to start with a disciplined, quiet off-season to set the tone with everybody on the same page and a renewed focus on football

Maybe I'm stretching this a bit putting it on Bowles but he really has no control of this team, in-season and off-season

4 minutes ago, '7' said:

He can't but...generally when you attempt to change a culture of losing into winning, you want to start with a disciplined, quiet off-season to set the tone with everybody on the same page and a renewed focus on football

Maybe I'm stretching this a bit putting it on Bowles but he really has no control of this team, in-season and off-season

If anything, there's certain guys that you just kind of assume will stay out of trouble, due to track record.  No one could've seen that incident coming with Revis (and it sounds like this definitely wasn't all on him).  Of course, now that he's on a sharp decline, his whole situation just feels worse all around.   

5 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

If anything, there's certain guys that you just kind of assume will stay out of trouble, due to track record. No one could've seen that incident coming with Revis

You're arguing against your own point CR. When you factor in problem child players that have a history, that is when the Head Coach deserves a mulligan. Because those players start trouble no matter where they go, or who coaches them. But when you're talking about players that have ZERO track-record(s) THAT's when red flags start to be raised.

You said it yourself: These players never pulled this sh!t under Ryan. Revis was never out with his own entourage @ 2:30am in the morning "knocking guys out" under Ryan. You never heard that Mo Wilkerson was habitually late to practices\meetings. You never heard about any bullsh!t with Sheldon Richardson.. or Enemkpali breaking another players jaw. I don't bring up the hyjinx of Brandon Marshall, because again.. that's not on Bowles. Marshall was a clown WAY before he became a Jet. But other players that have seemingly had clean backgrounds.. that's alarming to me. They respected Rex enough, because he commanded that respect. What changed?

Edited by Beezer34

I don't see the 'Bowles effect' having anything to do with Revis.  That's an off-field offseason problem, grown men have to police themselves at that point.  And if Revis is convicted of even some of the stuff he's being charged with, state and federal law's going to be more of an issue than Rex or Bowles.  Revis should be worried about going to jail more than about a coach yelling at him in that situation.

I also don't attribute Sheldon to Bowles since he was flunking weed tests earlier in his career to the point where he got a four-game suspension before Bowles had coached a game, and first got in trouble with the law basically before he met Bowles.  Mo got his big money and started jaking it, is that on Bowles?   I wouldn't absolve Bowles entirely on Mo cause everyone quit on him the second half of the season but in Mo's case the fact is he was playing for the big money still when Rex was here.  It's a little easier to get guys to play for you then.  You never know which guys are going to **** you over after signing their big contract until after they sign it.

Edited by NJDevs4978

14 hours ago, Beezer34 said:

You're arguing against your own point CR. When you factor in problem child players that have a history, that is when the Head Coach deserves a mulligan. Because those players start trouble no matter where they go, or who coaches them. But when you're talking about players that have ZERO track-record(s) THAT's when red flags start to be raised.

You said it yourself: These players never pulled this sh!t under Ryan. Revis was never out with his own entourage @ 2:30am in the morning "knocking guys out" under Ryan. You never heard that Mo Wilkerson was habitually late to practices\meetings. You never heard about any bullsh!t with Sheldon Richardson.. or Enemkpali breaking another players jaw. I don't bring up the hyjinx of Brandon Marshall, because again.. that's not on Bowles. Marshall was a clown WAY before he became a Jet. But other players that have seemingly had clean backgrounds.. that's alarming to me. They respected Rex enough, because he commanded that respect. What changed?

To put it simply:  I think when it comes to in-season shenanigans, though I do think that these players need to be held accountable for their own actions, you can get on the coach if too many players seem to be doing whatever they please, to the detriment of the team. 

What happened to Revis could've happened to a lot of people, under the wrong circumstances, and really should be seen as an isolated incident.  I'm not saying that Revis was necessarily right here, but part of the reason this whole thing is being blown up is because he had a rotten year, which makes it all the easier for many to try to make it sound like that Revis is now on a dangerous path.  I don't buy that...I think Revis is simply a player in sharp decline (nothing can be done when Father Time decides to take your skills away), who got caught in an unfortunate situation...some will say "Well he should've know better", but it's not like he has any history of this at all.  For all we know, Revis could've been going out plenty through the years, with no incidents at all...then this ONE particular time, something happened (and we still don't know all of the details as to exactly what).  And in the heat of the moment, I doubt the identity of the Jets' head coach ever crossed Revis' mind.  And though Rex had both his strong and weak points, I don't ever think that Rex was this Parcellish/Belichickish "Oh sh!t we better not fvck up because this is a man to fear and respect" kind of guy.  If anything, as time went on, Rex probably became a little too much of a player's coach.  As much as his players seemed to love playing for him, they definitely didn't reward him with consistent efforts. 

One other point:  some coaches do find a way to rein in constant "problem children" (though like you suggest, some just can't ever get out of their own way).  BB has done it with questionable players before (though even he could only do it temporarily with Randy Moss).  Parcells reached Curtis Martin in a way no other human being ever did...Martin credits Parcells for basically everything that he is today.         

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Jets have released Nick Folk.

Have to say he's had a really nice tenure here. Other than game 1 vs the Bengals I can't recall a single other game where you can point to him and say he's cost us. Seemed like every year some of his misses were blocks. Not sure how much it had to do with our piss poor ST blocking or him trying to kick the hell out of the football.

Every year the Jets seemed to bring in competition for him in training camp. And every year Folk beat it out.

When we signed him and let Feely walk I honestly thought this guy would be a disaster for us with the year he was coming off in Dallas.

Gould would be a good pick up. Don't want them going after Zeurlein.

They may end up drafting a kicker in the late rounds and hopefully end up with somebody good and cheap. Cap savings with Folk is 3mil. Not a ton, but not nothing either.

Edited by '7'

2 hours ago, '7' said:

Jets have released Nick Folk.

Have to say he's had a really nice tenure here. Other than game 1 vs the Bengals I can't recall a single other game where you can point to him and say he's cost us. Seemed like every year some of his misses were blocks. Not sure how much it had to do with our piss poor ST blocking or him trying to kick the hell out of the football.

Every year the Jets seemed to bring in competition for him in training camp. And every year Folk beat it out.

When we signed him and let Feely walk I honestly thought this guy would be a disaster for us with the year he was coming off in Dallas.

Gould would be a good pick up. Don't want them going after Zeurlein.

They may end up drafting a kicker in the late rounds and hopefully end up with somebody good and cheap. Cap savings with Folk is 3mil. Not a ton, but not nothing either.

As someone who roots against the Jets, I say by all mean waste a draft pick on a kicker, even a seventh rounder.  It almost never works out in the long run, the only exception I can think of being Janakowski.

Basically a retread free agent kicker is more likely to be better than someone you draft.  

15 hours ago, Daniel said:

As someone who roots against the Jets, I say by all mean waste a draft pick on a kicker, even a seventh rounder.  It almost never works out in the long run, the only exception I can think of being Janakowski.

Basically a retread free agent kicker is more likely to be better than someone you draft.  

eh. But you know sometimes there is somebody really good out there. It's like in baseball with the closer. A great kicker can be pretty worthless to a bad team. But a great kicker on a good to great team is crucial. Look at the Patriots how they went from Vinatieri to Gostkowski. if you want to build a team...you have to have a kicker. The Patriots took him in round 4 and I don't think they regret it.