2018 JETS

Beezer34

Of course. Very typical Jets thing to happen to a promising up and coming young receiver. Wasn't even a contact play. Just up and collapsed. Supposedly was bothered by it before.

Just brutal. 

I was ok getting rid of Marshall. Dumping Decker was idiotic and now it's come back to haunt us. They need to sign a receiver now (or two) because you cannot go out there with this kind of squad and get a fair evaluation for a QB. It's really not fair for Hack and Petty to play behind that line and throw to this drech. Even if the protection holds up, nobody will be able to get open. These QB's are going to get hit a lot.

7 minutes ago, '7' said:

Of course. Very typical Jets thing to happen to a promising up and coming young receiver. Wasn't even a contact play. Just up and collapsed. Supposedly was bothered by it before.

Just brutal. 

I was ok getting rid of Marshall. Dumping Decker was idiotic and now it's come back to haunt us. They need to sign a receiver now (or two) because you cannot go out there with this kind of squad and get a fair evaluation for a QB. It's really not fair for Hack and Petty to play behind that line and throw to this drech. Even if the protection holds up, nobody will be able to get open. These QB's are going to get hit a lot.

Guess you just have to embrace the tank and hope one of those top three QBs is going to be as good as advertised. 

So far as not giving Hackenberg or Petty a real shot, do you really think that either of them is a long term answer?  I mean, I guess the brass has to say that Hackenberg could be given where they drafted him, but we all know the story. 

8 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Guess you just have to embrace the tank and hope one of those top three QBs is going to be as good as advertised. 

So far as not giving Hackenberg or Petty a real shot, do you really think that either of them is a long term answer?  I mean, I guess the brass has to say that Hackenberg could be given where they drafted him, but we all know the story. 

I've seen some good things from Hackenberg. Petty is just a backup and will remain as such for the rest of his career, but I'd say Hackenberg has impressed by just looking decent.

It doesn't look like he's the long term answer, though it's really not fair to say that before he's thrown an NFL pass. He also doesn't deserve to be thrown to the wolves and beaten piller to post every Sunday either. And once McCown gets beat up and hurt, Hack will come in to get beat up and hurt.

I'm not going to say embrace the tank makes no sense, but it makes no sense to not even give Hackenberg a chance behind a competent NFL line with at least a couple of experienced receivers unless you're already that convinced your own 2nd round pick was a waste.  What this offense tells you is they have ZERO faith in Hackenberg or Petty.  If they did it would be malfeasance to have OL and WR cores that could easily be 32nd in the league. Here you go kids, go out there with a Division II-A offense going up against Division I-A defenses.

Edited by NJDevs4978

9 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

I'm not going to say embrace the tank makes no sense, but it makes no sense to not even give Hackenberg a chance behind a competent NFL line with at least a couple of experienced receivers unless you're already that convinced your own 2nd round pick was a waste.  What this offense tells you is they have ZERO faith in Hackenberg or Petty.  If they did it would be malfeasance to have OL and WR cores that could easily be 32nd in the league. Here you go kids, go out there with a Division II-A offense going up against Division I-A defenses.

It's also not fair to the defense (which actually looks good, though granted they're not exactly facing Brady and Moss in practice) but I think this is going to be a good NFL defense...that will probably be gassed as hell by the 4th quarter (which will lead to injuries)

Boldin was signed by Buffalo today. Not sure he would've considered the Jets anyway but it was an option.

Barely anybody left. Cecil Shorts, Eddie Royal? They may be forced to trade for a receiver.

4 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

The Jets drafted Hackenberg off a season where the team almost made the playoffs.  So my guess is that drafting him was the product of two factors:  1. that it was largely Woody's decision and 2.  that he could sit on the bench or even be relegated to the practice squad for at least two years where he could learn, a la Rodgers and Brady.  This has all gone out the window now that it's been revealed that 2015 was a fools gold season, Woody is in England, and there are some real legit QBs to be had at the top of next years draft.

It stinks for Hackenberg, I guess, but at the same time, he's probably just not that good, and never was.  

I don't think Woody had a thing to do with Hackenberg.  If he was a first round pick sure but Woody's not Jerry Jones-type involved after day one of the draft. Hackenberg was drafted because of Maccagnan's connection to Bill O'Brien who got the best college season out of Hackenberg.

Edited by NJDevs4978

10 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

I don't think Woody had a thing to do with Hackenberg.  If he was a first round pick sure but Woody's not Jerry Jones-type involved after day one of the draft. Hackenberg was drafted because of Maccagnan's connection to Bill O'Brien who got the best college season out of Hackenberg.

I still wonder if the end game is getting O'Brien here. Though that doesn't necessarily mean we were planning on a Hack-O'Brien reunion. To be honest I don't think Bill wants anything to do with Hackenberg as his QB, but I think he wants out of Houston and wants a true stud QB, which we'd have next year with Allen, Darnold, or Rosen.

7-3 is kind of strange, even for a pre season game (I seem to remember the Patriots and Bengals, two high powered offense playing a 7-6 game years ago)

Overall it was nice to not see the Jets look like total dogsh!t. I really like the newfound speed that the Jets possess on the 2nd level of their defense. Jets got great penetration all game and just battered the poor Titans backup. They were smart getting Mariotta out of there quickly. 

McCown looked good in his one series. Connected on a long one to Robby Anderson (who was reported to have drops issues in camp) and finished the drive off with a TD throw to Charone Peake.

Hackenberg I thought looked very good in terms of poise, reading the D and finding the right guy to throw to, his accuracy seemed above average. His finishing line was 18-25 for 127 no TD's but no INT's either. But really it should've been more like 21-25. He had three perfect throws that were dropped. One I recall by the FB from Harvard Firkser and another one by Marshall.

Jets run blocking was pretty bad yesterday, but I like Elijah McGuire's speed and moves. The guy is absolutely going to be a positive NFL contributor.

Have to cut down on the penalties.

Edited by '7'

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

What happened to poor Bryce Petty last night was so Met-like.  Poor kid looks like he wins the backup job going away then he gets seriously hurt :rant:

Well Jet-like and Met-like is pretty interchangeable anyway. Really with the way he played yesterday it looked like he deserves reps with the 1s. Though I get the feeling Petty is pretty much a football version of baseballs AAAA player in that he dominates the backups and 3s, but struggles mightily against #1 competition. 

I sure hope the injury isn't severe, but no doubt it will be.

1 hour ago, '7' said:

Well Jet-like and Met-like is pretty interchangeable anyway. Really with the way he played yesterday it looked like he deserves reps with the 1s. Though I get the feeling Petty is pretty much a football version of baseballs AAAA player in that he dominates the backups and 3s, but struggles mightily against #1 competition. 

I sure hope the injury isn't severe, but no doubt it will be.

Petty kind of gives me a Glenn Foley-type vibe, a guy who can provide a short-term spark but can't stay healthy and isn't the long-term answer anyway.

But given the way Hackenberg's played so far I'd still much rather see the AAAA guy over the guy who's washing out of AA.  Unless we're truly all in on the tank and if that's the case might as well start Hack from day one :P

And if it was completely Met-like Petty'd be out for the season but as it is looks like we dodged a bullet for once

Edited by NJDevs4978

23 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Petty kind of gives me a Glenn Foley-type vibe, a guy who can provide a short-term spark but can't stay healthy and isn't the long-term answer anyway.

But given the way Hackenberg's played so far I'd still much rather see the AAAA guy over the guy who's washing out of AA.  Unless we're truly all in on the tank and if that's the case might as well start Hack from day one :P

And if it was completely Met-like Petty'd be out for the season but as it is looks like we dodged a bullet for once

I was shocked to hear that too, but they'd better not play him vs. Philly because that'd be tempting fate. Foley is a good comparison (though Petty's arm is definitely better than Foley's) but you're right he's a sparkplug type, definitely believes in his abilities and believes he's better than he is. But long term as a QB he just strikes me as too reckless. Last year even when he did have time...he forced the ball way too much for my liking. 

It has to be McCown at this point with Petty as his backup. Hackenberg can sit and learn and do whatever. I don't care about him anymore and I have zero faith in him progressing. No pocket presence or feel for the rush, he doesn't read defenses as well as I expected him too. Gets baited into bad throws. Just a mess. Next year we'll have little use for him once Darnold or Allen is here.

Interesting to see the Jets pick up Kony Ealy who I guess just didn't fit into the Patriots scheme. He had a tremendous Super Bowl. Really what we need is a veteran receiver and O-line help but I guess this regime is insistent on building as beastly a D-line as possible. They'll be great for 2 1/2 quarters every Sunday before getting gassed and blown off the field.

I think the Jets D will be pretty good this year. But I really really feel for them with what the offense is going to put them through. 

Edited by '7'

23 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

No, if it was Met like, Petty would say his knee felt OK, then he'd feel a minor tweak or two in the following week or so that would be "nothing to worry about, he should be OK", then he'd be out at least 3 weeks with his "nothing to worry about...we're just taking precautions", THEN he'd need major surgery and would be out for the season. 

4 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

No, if it was Met like, Petty would say his knee felt OK, then he'd feel a minor tweak or two in the following week or so that would be "nothing to worry about, he should be OK", then he'd be out at least 3 weeks with his "nothing to worry about...we're just taking precautions", THEN he'd need major surgery and would be out for the season. 

The Jets would also try to change Petty's running style (Reyes) lol, remember that?

Jets are gauging the trade market for Matt Forte. His salary will be tough to move though. But there really is no sense in him being here in a tank season. Give Elijah McGuire the carries and let Forte compete for a Super Bowl somewhere else. He doesn't have much time left in the league. 

18 hours ago, '7' said:

Jets are gauging the trade market for Matt Forte. His salary will be tough to move though. But there really is no sense in him being here in a tank season. Give Elijah McGuire the carries and let Forte compete for a Super Bowl somewhere else. He doesn't have much time left in the league. 

rumors also saying the jets will trade richardson to  http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/70774/sheldon-richardson-in-play-as-jets-look-to-continue-roster-overhaul

4 minutes ago, SS#4-Life said:

They have been trying for a while and just haven't gotten anything in return they'd like. But they've been trying since last year. They don't want to sink $ into him with the $ already sunk into Wilkerson. He's playing great football though. In retrospect they should've signed him and put up with his BS and just trade Mo Wilk

So.. Matt Forte, Sheldon Richardson, Darrelle Revis, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Geno Smith, Brandon Marshall, Eric Decker, David Harris, Calvin Pryor, Nick Mangold, Breno Giacomini, Marcus Gilchrist and Nick Folk are all shown the door in one offseason.. and the organization is going to stay straight-faced that they're not trying to tank this year??! -- Pathetic! Absolutely pathetic. I've officially lost all respect for this franchise. It's clear every negative thing that's said - or has ever been said - about the Jets is 100% gospel truth. I guarantee you the NFL implements a draft lottery after this puerile spectacle the Jets are trying to pull on the rest of the league. This is NOT the way you go about acquiring a franchise quarterback. You don't manufacture a tanked season. You let it happen organically. It's a bad message you're sending to your younger players, and your fans - who pay good money to watch a product that should be somewhat competitive. At this point I'd have so much more respect for Bowles if he gave his resignation. At least it'd show he'd have the dignity to say: I'm not pantomiming an entire year through this nonsense.

They've officially lost all self-respect as a professional football operation over these last 6 months. I boycotted this joke of an organization Week 4 last season.. first time I've ever done that since 1987.. and I'm proud to stay I stuck through it ever since. They lost any shred of a chance in me coming back when they picked McCown over Cutler. Until they show me they're not amateur's, I refuse to have my intelligence insulted any longer.

In fairness Beez, not everyone on that list was worth keeping.  For starters, did you really want Revis, Fitzpatrick, and Smith to stick around any longer?  And it sounds like Marshall can be a serious PITA on a losing team.   

A team is rarely going to outright admit that they're tanking, and sure, most Jet fans can easily see what's going on...but considering where they are, what would you rather they do?  This team HAS tried to win at various times over the past six seasons and has one winning season and no playoff appearances in that time.  The Pats will probably win the East again this year no matter how hard the Jets try to win more games.  Yeah, it won't be fun for you this season, but if they tank their way to a franchise QB who can be your rock for the next several years (quite possibly as the Pats run finally starts to crumble), is it really so bad to suffer through one year where trying to put a less-bad product on the field really wouldn't make much difference?  Put it this way...if you say this isn't the way to acquire a franchise QB, then what is?  What's the "organic" way?  Pats got Bledsoe by being a complete trainwreck and getting the #1 pick.  They later got an insane amount of luck when they chose Brady as a what-the-hell pick with the #199th pick (they almost took Tim Rattay). 

If you get your guy and your team becomes a consistent force in the years to come, you will forget 2017 very very quickly.   

There'll be some fans that want to try to win every year no matter what, but beating your head against a wall doesn't do anything long term either. In many ways the current Devils are proof of that. If Lou had pulled the rip cord the minute Parise walked maybe the Devils would be done with the rebuild already instead of going on six plus years missing the playoffs with even more work to be done.

To Macc's credit he did try it your way Beez, and attempt to patch a short term winner and it didn't work.  Now he's trying the long term approach instead of doing the same thing again and throwing bad money after worse. I mean the Jets haven't exactly been super successful the last 25 years other than Parcells and Rex's first two years and even those teams came up short.

I sympathize with Beez in that it feels disheartening going into a season knowing it's already over and you have absolutely no hope, no chance. Even in bad Jets season (2005, 2007, last year etc) there was hope heading into it. The only other year in recent memory that compares to this was 2013, and they somehow snuck out of it 8-8 in what was probably Rex's best coaching job.

The only unusual thing is that this defense top to bottom will be a good defense until they get tired in games. So maybe they'll lose a lot but just won't be embarrassed all that often

I'm willing to take my medicine this year if it means Darnold or Allen. The Jets will have a ton of cap room as well so really if we end up with a top college QB, we can be set to compete 2018. The defense will be way ahead of schedule.

The WR corps are an absolute joke though. Just a disaster of 1995 Jets proportions. And the offensive line is criminally bad and will get 3 QB's injured this year. Just watch.

Edited by '7'

7 minutes ago, '7' said:

I sympathize with Beez in that it feels disheartening going into a season knowing it's already over and you have absolutely no hope, no chance. Even in bad Jets season (2005, 2007, last year etc) there was hope heading into it. The only other year in recent memory that compares to this was 2013, and they somehow snuck out of it 8-8 in what was probably Rex's best coaching job.

The only unusual thing is that this defense top to bottom will be a good defense until they get tired in games. So maybe they'll lose a lot but just won't be embarrassed all that often

I'm willing to take my medicine this year if it means Darnold or Allen. The Jets will have a ton of cap room as well so really if we end up with a top college QB, we can be set to compete 2018. The defense will be way ahead of schedule.

The WR corps are an absolute joke though. Just a disaster of 1995 Jets proportions. And the offensive line is criminally bad and will get 3 QB's injured this year. Just watch.

Not saying that he has to like it, just that this could result in one small step back to take a big one forward, and relatively quick, and at an opportune time.  I could understand people being pissed and disillusioned if the Jets were tearing down a 9 or 10 win team that looked like it could do it again.  And the Jets still have the NY factor (even if they play in NJ), so with cap room + a franchise QB, they can start filling in missing pieces very quickly next season.  It won't have to be a multi-year slow rebuild.     

Obviously the circumstances are a bit different (especially since the NFL is non-lottery), but would I trade the Devils not falling to pieces down the stretch last season for not getting Hischier?  Sometimes (definitely not ALL of time) you have to make that difficult decision:  do I want to be a team that struggles to get to somewhere between 6-10 or 8-8, or am I willing to take some heat for not going all out and finishing with 4 wins or less because I know that there's a player out there at a key position who can potentially help my franchise for YEARS?  That if he succeeds will make EVERYONE forget that we had to endure a rough year when even if I had gone all-out, it would've been a decent year (likely no playoffs) at best? 

I think the Jets are doing the right thing here.