2018 JETS

Beezer34

11 hours ago, Antiquated Colorado Rockie said:

Forte hangs up the cleats

Had a great career. Not Hall of Fame but a workhorse through and through. Really deserved a Super Bowl but that's the way it goes sometimes.

28th all time in in yards from scrimmage. If he played another year he would've passed a lot of guys and probably ended up between 15th and 18th in yards from scrimmage. Elite company.

Edited by '7'
  • Like 1

mayfield.png

Well this is interesting. Mainly because the Jets were supposedly very enamored with Allen and Cousins. Mayfield despite being undersized height wise has an outstanding arm, can make all the throws. Can beat you with his legs. He just has this spark. This excitement around him, a ton of confidence. He's a pure playmaker and I feel ahead of where Allen would be as well as ahead of where Sanchez was ability wise when we got him. New York won't be too much for him and he won't be another Manziel. I really don't worry about that at all.

The one thing the Jets do well though is disguise their intentions heading into the draft. Last year they were supposedly in love with Trubisky and he was there guy...apparently it was all misdirection and they weren't interested in him. That's why I'm totally not sure about any of this. I would be very happy though with Mayfield and then bringing McCown back to start in 2018. 

Edited by '7'

On 3/2/2018 at 7:47 AM, NJDevs4978 said:

And this after they're supposedly gonna spend 900 million dollars on Kirk Cousins.  As much as Devil fans harp on transparency post-Lou I like a little misdirection from GM's time to time, especially in the NFL.

They have done a good job with this. The Claiborne signing last year was totally out of left field and I like their pursuit of Hightower even if it was to drive the price up for him in N.E.

I just don't like Bowles and wish Macc had the ability to get rid of him and hire his own guy. Macc is a lot more savvy in his job than Bowles in his. I'm wondering how much pull Bowles has and if he lobbied heavily for Maye. Whatever talent he gets on D to fix, he just mucks up. I really wasn't all that impressed with either guys development over the season. I just don't trust him coaching up valuable assets.

On 3/4/2018 at 11:47 AM, CarterforPresident said:

Seems like the Jets fear Cousins is going to Minnesota

I'd be ok with that. It's just going to be so damn much to pay for this guy it will really hamstring us long term in other places. If he was a true undisputed top tier QB, then ok. But he's not. And so much money we'd tie up in him could be used to really bolster the roster in others.

I'm fine with bringing McCown back and drafting Mayfield or Rosen or Darnold (not so much Allen) 

And we can bring Petty back too and cut ties with Hackenberg

When Cousins was two years younger than he is now, the most he managed to do was get a pretty good Redskins team into the first round of the playoffs.  Not chopped liver, but if you're the Jets, you're better off taking a chance on one of the QBs in the draft if the goal is to compete for the Super Bowl while the current fanbase is still alive. 

In that respect, they'd be better off throwing a lot of money at one or more of the free agent offensive linemen in free agency so that whoever that QB is doesn't have his career ruined like David Carr or what almost happened to Alex Smith.

32 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

So be it...now can we do SOMEthing with our $100 million in cap space?  Seems like literally the only FA we’ve been linked to has been Cousins while half the league’s either been traded or agreed to deals.

I'm fine with Cousins to Minnesota as long as I have McCown/Mayfield for 2018. It was way too large an investment in somebody who is a clear rung lower than the elite QB's of the league and may never truly get a team to that next level. Cousins has just never been the guy to elevate a team. He's gutsy, he's smart, but the physical abilities of a Rodgers or Brady or Brees are not there and will never be there

Yes the Jets have to start using some of that cap space and soon. Thought they'd be more in on Allen Robinson or one of the tackles...no dice.

I think the Jets were out of the Cousins sweepstakes for a while, their love of Josh Allen was just a smokescreen just like with Trubisky last year (all the reports of him being "our guy"). The reports of them being all in on Mayfield I believe are true though. They've been doing a lot of homework on him

Edited by '7'

Unfortunately I think Allen will be the only QB that drops to us anyway unless the Bills are kooky enough to trade up for him (they’re 100% trading up for a QB now, and the Browns/Giants also likely take one). His accuracy issues and the fact teams are actually concerned about him being rich and socially active in 2018 will probably drop him to QB4

Edited by NJDevs4978

I'd take Siemian but it looks like the Jets will settle for the very limited (mentally and physically too perhaps) Bridgewater. You can't really do much with Bridgewater except dumb the offense down and have him play as safe and careful a game as possible. His poor arm strength means you can't really stretch the field with him. But they need SOMEBODY under center at this point. He's attempted exactly two passes over the past two seasons and one was a pick. yippee!

Edited by '7'

4 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

So assuming Bridgewater signs guess QB's off the table for the draft unless they wind up picking Allen as a strict project move.

I don't see how they don't draft a QB with their top pick.  So maybe the Bridgewater talks fell apart.

I think they'll still draft a QB even if they bring in Bridgewater now. Hackenberg and Petty will likely be jettisoned. McCown has no future in the league and neither does Bridgewater really. Maybe his future is brighter than McCown because of age but he does have that awful knee injury and his ceiling is pretty much nothing more than backup even before the injury. I think they still need a QB of the future.

Happy about bringing McCown back. His production pretty much mirrored Cousins last season

Edited by '7'

Crowell is a good signing. And we needed him with Forte retiring and Powell aging(though still good) Elijah McGuire is a part of there plans going forward as well. Looks like it'll be those three in 2018. Don't see them spending any premium picks on RB (nor should they) with how the position is valued.

25 years old, 3 year deal. Never missed a game. Seems like a good investment and the sweet spot of years right where you want to have a back.

Had an awful tweet a little while ago that's going to surface again and not make him very popular among the fanbase. Not a guy that Jets fans will find easy to root for. I'm not going to be able to root for him though he makes the team better on the field. It doesn't make them any more likeable.

Edited by '7'

47 minutes ago, '7' said:

Crowell is a good signing. And we needed him with Forte retiring and Powell aging(though still good) Elijah McGuire is a part of there plans going forward as well. Looks like it'll be those three in 2018. Don't see them spending any premium picks on RB (nor should they) with how the position is valued.

25 years old, 3 year deal. Never missed a game. Seems like a good investment and the sweet spot of years right where you want to have a back.

Had an awful tweet a little while ago that's going to surface again and not make him very popular among the fanbase. Not a guy that Jets fans will find easy to root for. I'm not going to be able to root for him though he makes the team better on the field. It doesn't make them any more likeable.

Well not like it'd be the first time this regime brought in a guy of questionable character :P  But yeah you can't argue it talentwise, he's had some decent numbers considering the dumpster fire he played on.  Jets also sign Trumaine Johnson so yeah guess they're opening the pocketbooks all right

Edited by NJDevs4978