2018 JETS

Beezer34

On 7/27/2018 at 5:33 PM, NJDevs4978 said:

Apparently no deal at the start of camp, I really don't get why this offset money is such an issue.  If the Jets cut Darnold before their contract is up they have bigger issues than a few million dollars, and it won't be Maccagnan doing it anyway.

Lots of strange leaks coming out. Some say this is not an offset money issue but rather an issue with how the bonus is paid out. Some reports are saying it has something to do with forfeiture of bonus if he gets suspended by the league for bad behavior. Darnold supposedly is upset over this but I guess not upset enough to put this dickbag agent (who we have a history with) in his place. Sucks that we even got to this point. Both sides share blame but I put most of it on Darnold and Jimmy Sexton. If he's not in pads by midweek we have a full blown same ol Jets crisis.

1 hour ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Thank god this stupidity is about to end

They took it about as far as they could. Just pure idiocy all around. He'll probably be a bit rusty to start off with but he was doing well in OTA's. Kind of thinking he'll outperform McCown and Bridgewater and take the #1 job. The Jets seem to be expecting him to do that and Bridgewater has been rumored to be trade bait.

So far lots of great signs from Jets camp.  You're seeing guys like Trent Cannon, Derrick Jones,  Chris Herndon, Chad Hansen and Nathan Shepherd emerge and play really well. And to see these kind of comments made about Darnold has left me pinching myself. Despite how early it is and with the time he's missed he seems way ahead of the curve. 

On 8/10/2018 at 8:52 PM, NJDevs4978 said:

Well, it's one half into preseason football but man you couldn't have scripted that half any better on offense or defense, with both Bridgewater and Darnold looking impressive.

Overjoyed with Darnold. Full field reads. Goes through progressions quickly. His last throw was really the most impressive rolling out to his left, squaring his shoulders and throwing a pinpoint strike for a 15 yard gain. Very few QB's in the NFL would be able to execute it with that much precision

Bridgewater did great as well. Showed mobility, great accuracy. Good command of the offense. He is a legit asset. I almost feel bad keeping him here as a backup. No sense in starting him. Darnold is the present and the future. McCown is his mentor. Bridgewater is just 25. He can go somewhere and be somebodies QB of the future. New Orleans perhaps? Tampa?

Edited by '7'
  • Like 1

Yeah this whole QB thing is fascinating to me and actually is making these preseason games more watchable.  Ultimately I think they just trade Bridgewater if he shows he can play and roll with McCown mentoring Darnold.  Keeping all three is only problematic in that how do you find reps for all three during the season?  Preseason keeping McCown in mothballs is fine but that's not going to work if he's playing or if he's here as the primary backup.  Trading McCown isn't practical with his cap number and releasing him would be unfortunate since you want him around as the mentor and both he and Teddy are basically in the same boat in terms of being on a one-year deal.

Edited by NJDevs4978

On 8/20/2018 at 5:10 PM, EdgeControl said:

Reports are that two teams are now interested in teddy B.. let's get a bidding war started.. we need a real franchise LT and a few guards.. start stock piling 1st round picks..

Well I think a 1st rounder is out of the question for Bridgewater...but maybe a 2nd rounder? Depends on how desperate some teams get. But Bridgewater has looked outstanding considering his knee was basically hanging by a thread two years ago. Some are calling for him to start though I don't believe he's actually outplayed Sam in training camp if you look at the numbers.

Jets are looking into trading for Khalil Mack. No doubt a 1st rounder would have to be part of the package. He is a game changing type player. A dominant pass rusher. Just the attention he commands would open up a lot for other players

Jets reach out to Raiders to express interest in trading for disgruntled All-Pro Khalil Mack, per sources

The Jets are going big-game hunting.

Gang Green has reached out to the Oakland Raiders to express its interest in trading for perennial All-Pro outside linebacker Khalil Mack, according to league sources.

The Raiders have fielded queries from more than a dozen teams, including several that have reached out multiple times, sources said.

On 8/25/2018 at 9:00 AM, EdgeControl said:

We have not had a pass rusher since john abraham..  qbs make sandwiches back there and do their taxes....... get him or fowler..or both... throw in teddy for or if Carr sh!+s the bed

It's a pressing need. A top pass rusher changes everything for a defense. It ruins the offenses timing, the QB takes more hits, he's forced into more bad throws. If we can land one that will help the entire D so much

Really need to clean things up on special teams and the penalties. Other than that I've liked what I've seen from this team as a whole this pre season. And pre season is so tough to evaluate anyway because so much vanilla D is played. So much of the offense is kept under wraps. The team we'll see week 1 in Detroit will be so radically different from what we've seen so far

I just hope they're smart during the Philly game. Darnold is the week 1 starter and should be in street clothes. Really we need a camp arm to be under center that entire game because you just don't want to even entertain a scenario where McCown or Bridgewater has the opportunity to get hurt

Edited by '7'

Bridgewater traded to the Saints for undisclosed picks (as I was leaving the car they broke the trade news on Sirius ) ....interesting trade on both sides, I'm fascinated about this being a possible reason to move on from Brees next year from a Saints perspective, but it tells you what the Jets think of the QB room now

They got a 3rd round pick...meh, it was inevitable he was going to get dealt at some point since he was on a one-year deal, you can't have enough reps for three QB's and McCown has more value as the mentor than he would in trade (especially with his salary).  Was hoping they'd be able to get one of the 2's they traded for Darnold back but getting a 3 for a guy they signed for nothing in the offseason is still pretty good asset management.

And btw speaking of QB's, I don't make much of this audio that got released of Kirk Cousins basically admitting he was using the Jets to up offers from other 'teams' (re: Minnesota, Denver), everyone knew this at the time but it's still a bit low-rent he actually allowed that quote to be publicly released in whatever documentary that was getting made on his FA courting.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Just now, NJDevs4978 said:

They got a 3rd round pick...meh, it was inevitable he was going to get dealt at some point since he was on a one-year deal, you can't have enough reps for three QB's and McCown has more value as the mentor than he would in trade (especially with his salary).  Was hoping they'd be able to get one of the 2's they traded for Darnold back but getting a 3 for a guy they signed for nothing in the offseason is still pretty good asset management.

Yeah, in the end you're only going to get so much...the team that's dealing for him knows that he's a spare part and not really the future of the Jets.  But a third-rounder under such circumstances feels about right.  Probably would've been nice to get a 6th or 7th-rounder too, as a throw-in, but oh well.  Like you said, a third-round pick that's kind of a bonus. 

7 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah, in the end you're only going to get so much...the team that's dealing for him knows that he's a spare part and not really the future of the Jets.  But a third-rounder under such circumstances feels about right.  Probably would've been nice to get a 6th or 7th-rounder too, as a throw-in, but oh well.  Like you said, a third-round pick that's kind of a bonus. 

More of a meh, unfortunately there wasn't that team desperate for a starting QB on the eve of the season like the Vikings ironically enough after Bridgewater's injury there to drive up the value.  Plus he's technically a spare part/insurance policy for the Saints too.  Nobody that's any good needed a starter cause seemingly Jacksonville still has a blind spot for Blake Bortles.  They're one team I'm surprised didn't get into the bidding.

Edited by NJDevs4978

2 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:
More of a meh, unfortunately there wasn't that team desperate for a starting QB on the eve of the season like the Vikings ironically enough after Bridgewater's injury there to drive up the value.  Plus he's technically a spare part/insurance policy for the Saints too.  Nobody that's any good needed a starter cause seemingly Jacksonville still has a blind spot for Blake Bortles.  They're one team I'm surprised didn't get into the bidding.

Yeah, kinda surprised that the Jets had to throw in a pick.  Like you said, just unlucky timing, really (no truly desperate team). 

3 hours ago, CRASHER said:

Bridgewater traded to the Saints for undisclosed picks (as I was leaving the car they broke the trade news on Sirius ) ....interesting trade on both sides, I'm fascinated about this being a possible reason to move on from Brees next year from a Saints perspective, but it tells you what the Jets think of the QB room now

The Jets can't afford to carry 3 QB's this year because of some serious deficiencies on special teams and needed offensive line depth (look for them to pick someone up on cut down day from some team) I was pipe dreaming about a 2nd for Bridgewater but the ideal situation just never materialized where some team with a top starter and sketchy backup lost that starter for an extended period of time. 

And if a team did lose their starter during the season, that doesn't mean they'll be desperate for Bridgewater. What if they're happy with their backup. What if their season was over anyway.

All in all they got free 3rd. I'm fine with that

Jets still need a legit pass rusher. Will they use this third in a package for one (Ray, Fowler...Mack?) or just sit on it and use it in 2019 to try and build their pick pool back up after trading a bunch of seconds away for Darnold

Edited by '7'

3 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

And btw speaking of QB's, I don't make much of this audio that got released of Kirk Cousins basically admitting he was using the Jets to up offers from other 'teams' (re: Minnesota, Denver), everyone knew this at the time but it's still a bit low-rent he actually allowed that quote to be publicly released in whatever documentary that was getting made on his FA courting.

I don't think much of it. It doesn't feel good to have your franchise used like that but I think it happens during every worthy players UFA period. Using one team to drive up price. Plus it's not like the Jets offer blew away Minnesota's. He didn't leave $10+ mil on the table. When taxes and cost of living are factored in, it gets even closer. Also Minnesota being 1 step away from a Super Bowl

18 hours ago, '7' said:

I don't think much of it. It doesn't feel good to have your franchise used like that but I think it happens during every worthy players UFA period. Using one team to drive up price. Plus it's not like the Jets offer blew away Minnesota's. He didn't leave $10+ mil on the table. When taxes and cost of living are factored in, it gets even closer. Also Minnesota being 1 step away from a Super Bowl

The Devils will be used this way at times I'm sure...the Mets have been on the wrong end of that on occasion as well.  The good news is that I think in Shero's case, he sniffs it out pretty quickly, and decides he's not going to waste too much time on players who don't really want to play in NJ. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, '7' said:

He was being facetious, but Bart Scott was saying "hit the knee" when they were talking about it on CMB.  So maybe players do take things like that somewhat personally.