2018 JETS

Beezer34

2 hours ago, '7' said:

This is the end for Bowles. He's 11-26 in his last 37 and makes the same mistakes over and over again. There is talent in that secondary. Good talent. And Bortles carves us up like a Thanksgiving Turkey with 10 days to prepare for him.

This is perfectly said. Unbelievable that he's approaching a 40 game span, with only 11 wins. Tell me there's not a double fvcking standard with this guy? They were calling for Rex's head after Year 4, and Rex actually had 6 playoff games worth of exp. to brag about. This guy has absolutely NOTHING, and next season is YEAR 5 already!

He is an in-over-his-head, above average DC, who came here with no prior coaching exp. The exact same model as Rex Ryan before him.. Eric Mangini before him.. Herm Edwards before him.. and Al Groh before him. -- Have you ever in your life?? Have you ever heard of an organization that hires the exact same type of guy, (FOR 20 YEARS) and never deviates?? Would it kill this franchise to hire someone with a resume? -- Or God forbid, an experienced OC as HC to help out the kid a little?

1 hour ago, Beezer34 said:

This is perfectly said. Unbelievable that he's approaching a 40 game span, with only 11 wins. Tell me there's not a double fvcking standard with this guy? They were calling for Rex's head after Year 4, and Rex actually had 6 playoff games worth of exp. to brag about. This guy has absolutely NOTHING, and next season is YEAR 5 already!

He is an in-over-his-head, above average DC, who came here with no prior coaching exp. The exact same model as Rex Ryan before him.. Eric Mangini before him.. Herm Edwards before him.. and Al Groh before him. -- Have you ever in your life?? Have you ever heard of an organization that hires the exact same type of guy, (FOR 20 YEARS) and never deviates?? Would it kill this franchise to hire someone with a resume? -- Or God forbid, an experienced OC as HC to help out the kid a little?

Whoever they bring in next I hope has prior HC experience at some level. Collegiate or Pros. I don't care if he's an old guy or a young guy. Or even if he's a guy who comes from the defensive side as long as he respects and is accepting of the NFL being an offense first league.

I'd prefer someone like Bruce Arians. Veteran. Been through the wars before. Very insightful and respected. Or one of the Harbaugh's. Bill O'Brien, Mike Shanahan, John Fox. Even guys who've flamed out of late. Even they would be an upgrade over Bowles

5 hours ago, '7' said:

This is the end for Bowles. He's 11-26 in his last 37 and makes the same mistakes over and over again. There is talent in that secondary. Good talent. And Bortles carves us up like a Thanksgiving Turkey with 10 days to prepare for him

The same clock management and situational understanding persist. Punting when he should be going for it. Kicking field goals when he should be going for it

Nobody expected them to win at Jacksonville but a decent effort was expected. They got manhandled and embarrassed. Bowles and Rodgers are absolute befuddled clowns. Bates I'm souring on.

I don't see a turnaround coming. They're not competent enough for one.

You could see after the meltdown of year 2, 2016 that Bowles had to go. And yet here we are in year 4 and he's still a fool. He's not a Ryan or a Kotite. He's stoic and serious and looks like a guy who should be taken seriously. And maybe that's why they've been patient with him because he looks like he should be a good coach and succeed. Nonetheless he remains a fool and in over his head  

Funny you should say that...I've thought the same thing.  He doesn't have that doofus-y look, the way that Kotite or some other guys have had.  He looks like a guy who you think is going to be good at his craft.

Remember OF Daryl Boston from the Mets?  The Mets basically claimed him off waivers from the White Sox...got him for free.  He had been selected 7th overall in the 1981 draft, and I remember thinking he LOOKED like he should be a hell of a ballplayer...the guy was 6' 3", muscular yet lean and quite cut...and just looked athletic, healthy and strong...a solid specimen.  He was pretty good as a Met (his best three seasons as a major-leaguer were with the Mets), but he was never much more than decent, and his career overall was pretty meh.  It's just funny how some guys just LOOK like they should have a lot more going on than they should.  I agree, you see Bowles and the image doesn't match the results, the quotes, the same mistakes made over and over, the lack of discipline...yeah, maybe if he was some dorky-looking Kotite dweeb, he gets shown the door earlier.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

After watching the Colts dumpster fire defense last night, Sam Darnold will have the perfect opponent in a week to finally find his footing and confidence.

That is if we survive Miller and Chubb against Denver. But Denver is flawed and beatable and I hope Bowles is using the last years massacre of a loss as motivation. We really should be 3-3 in a few weeks. 

No Trumaine Johnson on Sunday. Ruled out

And Kacy Rodgers is apparently suffering from some serious health issue. So our defensive coordinator (use this term loosely) is out of commission. Granted he's a terrible coach but this totally throws our gameday preparation out of whack. 

On ‎10‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 10:07 AM, '7' said:

After watching the Colts dumpster fire defense last night, Sam Darnold will have the perfect opponent in a week to finally find his footing and confidence.

I'm liking the new Colts D compared to the last couple of years.  I think they will do good against the Jets.

Colts will still have NO run game, so all the Jets have to do is keep making Luck wear his arm out until it falls off.  Colt penalties and dropped passes will do the rest.

Well at least Crowell earned his keep after all the nonsense of the last couple weeks :blink:

Thankfully this has been a bit of a breakout game for the offense with Darnold at least completing the deep passes (though that short ball needs some work) and the best running performance I've seen since the Ground and Pound Rex days.

Finally the great Leonard Williams was a force in a game too, his most impactful game as a pro.

Edited by NJDevs4978

This was a game the Jets needed so badly, and there were many a moment where it looked like it was going to be Jetted up (the missed Myers FG, Darnold batted pass IN) but it never happened really because of how dominant the Jets running game was. Can't remember the last time they imposed their will on another team like this. Perhaps that OT loss and 6 pick Sanchez game to Buffalo in 2009

Darnold seems like had to jump up to corral every snap to him. He dealt with drops as usual. Passes batter at the line. But made absolutely perfect TD throws too. And was out there trying to throw a block on the Crowell run which was good to see

Edited by '7'

On 10/6/2018 at 7:15 PM, LetsGoDevils said:

I'm liking the new Colts D compared to the last couple of years.  I think they will do good against the Jets.

Colts will still have NO run game, so all the Jets have to do is keep making Luck wear his arm out until it falls off.  Colt penalties and dropped passes will do the rest.

Well they won't have the ordeal of facing the Patriots offense. But going forward as an organizational philosophy they need to get luck help. People feel bad for him. They want him to succeed

What's going on with Spencer Long, and I hate to say this. It's reminding me of Mackey Sasser. It's not physical it's psychological. He doesn't have an injury that inhibits him from getting the ball into Darnolds hands. It's something that centers  regularly do with excellence hundreds of times in a row

This is a big problem and the Jets need to fix it asap

Edited by '7'

Right now the Jets are still 3-3 but it feels better than that cause of the quantam leap Darnold's been taking as the youngest Opening Day starting QB in NFL history.  He and Jason Myers carried the team today.  The D did nothing but be opportunistic...four turnovers including a TD, great.  Thank goodness for that cause they didn't stop Luck and his band of backups otherwise.

45 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Right now the Jets are still 3-3 but it feels better than that cause of the quantam leap Darnold's been taking as the youngest Opening Day starting QB in NFL history.  He and Jason Myers carried the team today.  The D did nothing but be opportunistic...four turnovers including a TD, great.  Thank goodness for that cause they didn't stop Luck and his band of backups otherwise.

Baffling how those clowns shredded us in the 2nd half. Whatever adjustments were made Bowles couldn't handle them. As soon as the Jets went up 17 they totally lost focus.

Though it was pretty clear Indy really couldn't stop us through the air either. I was really impressed with the Colts D line. 

Well here we are. 6 games in with 10 to play, and we're a .500 team hoping to make it 3 in-a-row this Sunday against a team who's also looking for their 3rd straight.

Things I like thus far:

#1) Darnold. I think the kid is progressing as well as we all hoped he would back at draft day. I'd like to see the interceptions come down a bit, but overall.. I don't think there's much more you could ask for. This season was all about the kid learning and developing into a franchise quarterback, and allowing him to go through his development with no expectations. If he and the Jets can go 5-5 the rest of the way, I don't see how you can view this season as anything but a success.

#2) The Defense. Looks reborn. Making plays, getting turnovers, getting to the quarterback. No Maye, no problem. No Johnson, no problem. No Skrine, no problem. I'm very excited to see people get healthy, and having everyone on the field all at once.

#3) The Running Game. A hallmark of what made those first two seasons under Sanchez (24-14 record) so much of a success, was the fact that he was asked to do very little, under the "ground & pound" philosophy Rex employed. The Jets have nearly 800 yrds on the ground this season, giving them one of the best rushing attacks in the league. (only 5 teams have rushed for more) It takes the pressure off of your rookie QB when you have a running game this good.

#4) Bates. Bates is a damn good OC. He's still learning Darnold's strengths and weaknesses, but has been able to adjust during games on the fly. He's also patient.. which is uncommon for coordinators in today's game. A perfect example was last Sunday. The running game wasn't working the 1st half.. but he stuck to the run. He didn't give up on the plan, and the Jets ended with 100+ yrds on the ground for the game. My one criticism is I'd like to see the TE's included more in the redzone, but otherwise I've very happy.

#5) The White Out. I've said this before for many many years: When the Jets go all-white.. they win. They should make it their permanent combo the way the Cowboys do.

7 hours ago, Beezer34 said:

Well here we are. 6 games in with 10 to play, and we're a .500 team hoping to make it 3 in-a-row this Sunday against a team who's also looking for their 3rd straight.

Things I like thus far:

#1) Darnold. I think the kid is progressing as well as we all hoped he would back at draft day. I'd like to see the interceptions come down a bit, but overall.. I don't think there's much more you could ask for. This season was all about the kid learning and developing into a franchise quarterback, and allowing him to go through his development with no expectations. If he and the Jets can go 5-5 the rest of the way, I don't see how you can view this season as anything but a success.

#2) The Defense. Looks reborn. Making plays, getting turnovers, getting to the quarterback. No Maye, no problem. No Johnson, no problem. No Skrine, no problem. I'm very excited to see people get healthy, and having everyone on the field all at once.

#3) The Running Game. A hallmark of what made those first two seasons under Sanchez (24-14 record) so much of a success, was the fact that he was asked to do very little, under the "ground & pound" philosophy Rex employed. The Jets have nearly 800 yrds on the ground this season, giving them one of the best rushing attacks in the league. (only 5 teams have rushed for more) It takes the pressure off of your rookie QB when you have a running game this good.

#4) Bates. Bates is a damn good OC. He's still learning Darnold's strengths and weaknesses, but has been able to adjust during games on the fly. He's also patient.. which is uncommon for coordinators in today's game. A perfect example was last Sunday. The running game wasn't working the 1st half.. but he stuck to the run. He didn't give up on the plan, and the Jets ended with 100+ yrds on the ground for the game. My one criticism is I'd like to see the TE's included more in the redzone, but otherwise I've very happy.

#5) The White Out. I've said this before for many many years: When the Jets go all-white.. they win. They should make it their permanent combo the way the Cowboys do.

I agree with the white on white being the best combo. And it looks even better with the white or grey facemasks

Bates was well regarded in league circles. And that's with him being out of the NFL since 2012 and bouncing a round a bit before there. But when he was in the league he apparently left an impression. I was a bit frustrated with Bates a bit early on but the last two games he's really done well calling plays and using his personnel properly

Jets are going to be in bad shape injury wise heading into Sunday (and Minnesota is having its issues too) but Terrelle Pryor has a groin tear and has been released with the hope of re signing him. Enunwa has the dreaded high ankle sprain so say goodbye to him for a while. Robby Anderson will likely play but has a hamstring injury. Marcus Maye broke his thumb and is out. Trumaine Johnson is still out. Buster Skrine is still out.

If they find a way to win this one I would be jaw dropping impressed. This is an extremely tough spot for a 21 year old rookie QB. I think we may need to prepare ourselves for this being an ugly one

On 10/14/2018 at 3:50 PM, '7' said:

What's going on with Spencer Long, and I hate to say this. It's reminding me of Mackey Sasser. It's not physical it's psychological. He doesn't have an injury that inhibits him from getting the ball into Darnolds hands. It's something that centers  regularly do with excellence hundreds of times in a row

This is a big problem and the Jets need to fix it asap

You called this last week...god, how can an NFL center not be able to you know, snap the ball?  

Kind of an imperfect storm of crap this week, top three WR's are all hurt so that leads to issues with the passing game, nobody left can catch, Darnold has some scattershot throws in semi-windy and cold weather (something he's gotta get used to now) and the D couldn't stop Latavius Murray.  Hate that we have to play the Bears next week now that they're going to be pissy they lost two tight ones in a row to the Fish and Pats, it'll probably get worse before it gets better.

Edited by NJDevs4978

4 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

You called this last week...god, how can an NFL center not be able to you know, snap the ball?  

Kind of an imperfect storm of crap this week, top three WR's are all hurt so that leads to issues with the passing game, nobody left can catch, Darnold has some scattershot throws in semi-windy and cold weather (something he's gotta get used to now) and the D couldn't stop Latavius Murray.  Hate that we have to play the Bears next week now that they're going to be pissy they lost two tight ones in a row to the Fish and Pats, it'll probably get worse before it gets better.

Yea they have no shot on the road against a Bears team that is flawed but still better than they are. Next week will probably be a total carbon copy of this week. Not really worried about Darnold but catches just have to be made. Would've been a nice to see the Bills next week, but they'll be 3-5 now with the season pretty much over.

Looked like the Jets were making some kind of push in the 4th and they got a very very clear PI on a play Robby Anderson was tackled by Xavier Rhodes but it was completely ignored by the refs. Some teams always get those calls. Some don't.

Edited by '7'

Jets signed Rishard Matthews.

This is a solid acquisition. Matthews commands alot of coverage, and can make some  acrobatic catches. He sniffed 1,000 yrd - 9 TD season in 2016, and at 29 years old, you know he’s going to be playing hard auditioning for other teams next season. I like this move.

The whole Matthews situation is odd...not the Jets signing him...that's a no-brainer, doesn't cost them any assets except a little money...it's a perfect "What the hell, why not?" kind of signing that doesn't really have a downside.  But it's odd that a guy who, while not a top receiver by any stretch, was phased out of Tennessee so quickly, as to not have any trade value at all...they just basically didn't play him (he did fall down the depth chart, but they REALLY just didn't play him).  13 TDs total and a 925 catching yards per 16 GP rate over the last two seasons combined.  Depending how he performs, he might even be a guy the Jets wouldn't mind signing to a one or two-year deal after this year. 

I like the Matthews signing too but they outright released Pryor (with an injury I thought would linger) but it turns out he's just about ready to go...and we don't have him

It's tough to take on a receiver in the middle of the season and have him step in and immediately have chemistry with Darnold. But Matthews at his best is probably a better every down impact player than Pryor.

Basically I try to bring back Pryor and roll with Anderson Pryor Matthews Kearse on Sunday. Give Darnold all the help he can get. Once Enunwa comes back you can have a good problem to deal with

Edited by '7'

Should be pretty exciting when all 5 are playing at once and healthy again. It's an interesting alignment that the Jets employed this season, where they don't have a bona’fide #1 WR. Anderson, Kearse, Matthews, Enunwa & Pryor are all capable of having 1,000 yrd seasons.. but none are what I would call a legitimate One on the depth chart. It's as though the mindset is: death by a thousand papercuts from the passing game. Dink & dunk 20-30 chunk yards to whoever can get open.

Powell was put on IR with a neck injury...ending his season unfortunately. Could be the end of his Jets career as well

Elijah McGuire will likely take his spot. Just activated and plenty of potential. His straight away speed is insane

Wonder if we try to bring Rawls back too

Edited by '7'

23 hours ago, '7' said:

Powell was put on IR with a neck injury...ending his season unfortunately. Could be the end of his Jets career as well

Elijah McGuire will likely take his spot. Just activated and plenty of potential. His straight away speed is insane

Yeah, he should definitely see more playing time in addition with Trenton Cannon. I know Crowell, McGuire & Cannon aren't exactly household names, but maybe that's what we need. Stevan Ridley, Matt Forte & CJ Spiller didn't exactly move the needle in 2016. Our backfield is at least hungry.