2018 JETS

Beezer34

50 minutes ago, CarterforPresident said:

Bowles most definitely will. Teams have interest already from what I saw.

I'm surprised...guy seems more suited to being a DC.

I can see Bowles getting interviews sure, some may be serious, some may be to be in compliance of a certain rule. However once teams really start digging deep on Bowles and his tenure here with the Jets, they're not going to like what they find. 

I just don't know how an owner and GM can sell Todd Bowles to another franchise. I don't.

Gase is supposedly getting a lot of interest. I thought he'd get another year in Miami but you'd also figure Stephen Ross would do what he can to prevent the Jets from getting Jim Harbaugh. 

Edited by '7'

Eh I think Marvin Lewis becomes the 'token' guy before Bowles.  Everyone knows Bowles is an awful coach, at least Marvin Lewis you could sell some good regular seasons for a franchise that hasn't been that great in general.  Anyone even gives Bowles more than a token interview they're as big an idiot as Mike Brown is for even considering Hue Jackson.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Agree, Marvin Lewis is now the new Dennis Green.  The token interview guy.  

I can't believe I'm hearing Jim Caldwell will interview for the Jets job. Are they actually stupid enough to hire Caldwell? Can't be? He's not the worst thing in the world but his two tenures have essentially been him walking into one nearly perfect situation (Indy) and one just completed rebuild (Detroit) that was ready to compete. And he never got either team over the hump. He's always had above average talent and not been able to take it to the next level. He's just basically been lucky.

14 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Well the plot thickens

Part of me thinks going for MM will backfire, but goshdarnit, I've had enough of the 'unproven defensive' HC hires, might as well hire a proven offensive guy.

I think McCarthy will do well here if he gets the job. He's been a bit unfairly smeared on his way out of Green Bay and does not receive nearly enough credit for the job he did repairing Favre as well as his work with Rodgers. And the Packers being consistent winners.

Also intrigued with Rhule. He seems like a very thorough, smart guy who is detail oriented and wouldn't let things slip like Bowles did. Culture changer

Gase is meh. He could do well but he could also end up a total dud

On 12/31/2018 at 2:57 PM, EdgeControl said:

Bowles will be interview fodder for the rooney rule.. good man , terrible HC  

The jets clown show continues, new coach and mccags both report to chrissy J. Moron.

And it looks like Bowles is on his way to Tampa to be the DC for Arians

Arians is a good hire for the Bucs

• Like 1

6 hours ago, '7' said:

I think McCarthy will do well here if he gets the job. He's been a bit unfairly smeared on his way out of Green Bay and does not receive nearly enough credit for the job he did repairing Favre as well as his work with Rodgers. And the Packers being consistent winners.

Also intrigued with Rhule. He seems like a very thorough, smart guy who is detail oriented and wouldn't let things slip like Bowles did. Culture changer

Gase is meh. He could do well but he could also end up a total dud

And it looks like Bowles is on his way to Tampa to be the DC for Arians

Arians is a good hire for the Bucs

Arians will attempt to fix jamis,  that will be interesting... happy for todd

Don't know crap about rhule.. he better know how to groom a young FQB.. MM has strong experience there

As wary as I am of McCarthy I'm REALLY wary of Gase though I'm glad they're not going for a first-time coach apparently.  For all the nonsense about how McCarthy and Rodgers didn't get along in the end (after 'thirteen years'), I'm more worried about Gase having multiple problems in the locker room in Miami although in his defense Tannenbaum always seems to specialize in the high-risk high-talent guys that usually don't pan out and he hasn't done THAT bad considering his QB's there. 

Edited by NJDevs4978

Welp that didn't take long...Schefty-official

The people who were pumping this guy's tires for years better be right.  God knows we're owed a guy who would be better second time around after we were denied it from Darth Hoodie.  Joe and Evan will be comic listening tomorrow since Evan didn't want Gase as bad as Joe did want McCarthy.

I guess I was spoiled with Davey Johnson in the '80's, Bobby V in the late '90's and the good coaches Lou usually brought in (albeit for five minutes) - now my three coaches are Hynes, Callaway and Gase...which granted is an improvement over Hynes, Callaway and Bowles but still :P

Edited by NJDevs4978

8 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Welp that didn't take long...Schefty-official

The people who were pumping this guy's tires for years better be right.  God knows we're owed a guy who would be better second time around after we were denied it from Darth Hoodie.  Joe and Evan will be comic listening tomorrow since Evan didn't want Gase as bad as Joe did want McCarthy.

It’s a good thing that FAN’s coach shows are with Giants people.  Gase would not handle himself well being interviewed there after a bad loss.  

Having seen his body of work over the past three years, it’s not a terrible hire.  The bubble screens will drive you absolutely nuts, but I think it’s safe to say he’s more or less competent.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Daniel said:

It’s a good thing that FAN’s coach shows are with Giants people.  Gase would not handle himself well being interviewed there after a bad loss.  

Having seen his body of work over the past three years, it’s not a terrible hire.  The bubble screens will drive you absolutely nuts, but I think it’s safe to say he’s more or less competent.  

I'm pretty sure tannehill was the issue, bUT I'm not jumping for joy about this AT ALL

12 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I don't think the Kay-Lagreca show is any day at the beach either although their Bowles interviews were frequently ten minutes of bupkus cause that's all Bowles gave them is bupkus.  

24 minutes ago, EdgeControl said:

I'm pretty sure tannehill was the issue, bUT I'm not jumping for joy about this AT ALL

Tannehill was AN issue.... and not a small one. But he was not THE issue. Gase’s play calling, his choice of defensive coordinator and refusing to fire said defensive coordinator, and his abrasive, arrogant treatment of his players was THE issue, which I’m sure you’ll see in time. 

30 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Oh and btw, the NY media will detest this guy. He’s the most arrogant prick you’ve ever seen. He isn't a guy who will handle NY well if things aren’t going so hot. 

Some people do learn and change, at least a little.  If Gase can, he’ll probably have success.

40 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Tannehill was AN issue.... and not a small one. But he was not THE issue. Gase’s play calling, his choice of defensive coordinator and refusing to fire said defensive coordinator, and his abrasive, arrogant treatment of his players was THE issue, which I’m sure you’ll see in time. 

Well Vance Joseph's probably an improvement over whoever his DC was in Miami...but yeah Gase sounds like a cross between Mangini and Josh McDaniels - hypersensitive and power-hungry.

9 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Some people do learn and change, at least a little.  If Gase can, he’ll probably have success.

Too bad unlike BB (who had four years to learn), Gase had four minutes to learn after the Miami job.

55 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Well Vance Joseph's probably an improvement over whoever his DC was in Miami...but yeah Gase sounds like a cross between Mangini and Josh McDaniels - hypersensitive and power-hungry.

Joseph was the DC in Gase’s first year as head coach. Is he better than Matt Burke, the DC the last two years? Yes. But Joseph is nothing to write home about either. Most Fins fans were pretty surprised Denver poached him to be their head coach. His defense in 2016 was nothing terribly special. 

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

Sure, and he also has moldable clay in Darnold.... it’s not some batsh!t crazy notion to think Gase could be successful with the Jets. But he’s be wise to give up play calling duties, which he won’t do. His play calling is absolutely atrocious, and his lack of involvement with the defense pissed me off to no end. You’re the HEAD coach, you can’t only be into one side of the fvcking ball. He’s Rex in reverse in that way. 

I think the majority of Jets fans are overreacting a bit. But they have a right to be perturbed. Gase doesn't seem inspiring. His track record is sort of middling. I don't think he'll end up a clueless bozo like Bowles but he does not strike me as a guy who can take a club to the next level

With Belichick, at least he displayed brilliance as Giants DC. You saw real innovation and lightning quick adaptation from him. In Cleveland his lack of people skills really hurt him (among other things, he never had a Brady either) but with him you knew there was some brilliance lurking there. He just had change some things, find the right spot, mellow out a bit. Forget the press conference character, behind the scenes he's really like that.

With Gase I've just seen a pretty average coach who's kind of a curmudgeon for a young guy. Supposedly he did really well in talking to Darnold who seemed to like him the best of all the other candidates

6 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Joseph was the DC in Gase’s first year as head coach. Is he better than Matt Burke, the DC the last two years? Yes. But Joseph is nothing to write home about either. Most Fins fans were pretty surprised Denver poached him to be their head coach. His defense in 2016 was nothing terribly special. 

Joseph is an upgrade over Kacy Rodgers though, but essentially we're going from a D student to a C student here and that's not the goal. Not for the Jets or any other team

I was surprised too. Denver usually knows what they are doing (though they have lost their way a bit, starting with the drafting of someone like Paxton Lynch and Kubiak leaving. But Joseph is nothing more than a coordinator who will bounce around the league for another 20 years

• Like 1