2018 JETS

Beezer34

11 hours ago, '7' said:

Joseph is an upgrade over Kacy Rodgers though, but essentially we're going from a D student to a C student here and that's not the goal. Not for the Jets or any other team

I was surprised too. Denver usually knows what they are doing (though they have lost their way a bit, starting with the drafting of someone like Paxton Lynch and Kubiak leaving. But Joseph is nothing more than a coordinator who will bounce around the league for another 20 years

They’re also talking about Greg Williams for D coordinator which would be a pretty good hire.

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

They’re also talking about Greg Williams for D coordinator which would be a pretty good hire.

That would be a good hire. But it would also be a guy that may force Gase to look over his shoulder a bit. And a guy who we know wants to be a HC. If the Jets aren't winning, but the D is playing pretty well...there will be pretty quick calls for Williams to take over. Jets fans will not have much patience with Gase

16 minutes ago, '7' said:

That would be a good hire. But it would also be a guy that may force Gase to look over his shoulder a bit. And a guy who we know wants to be a HC. If the Jets aren't winning, but the D is playing pretty well...there will be pretty quick calls for Williams to take over. Jets fans will not have much patience with Gase

From a fan's standpoint, you really don't want Gase to have anything to do with the defense.  He inexplicably was attached Burke to perhaps the Dolphins' worst d-coordinator since Tom Olividati.  Do your job and you don't have to look over your shoulder. 

4 hours ago, Daniel said:

From a fan's standpoint, you really don't want Gase to have anything to do with the defense.  He inexplicably was attached Burke to perhaps the Dolphins' worst d-coordinator since Tom Olividati.  Do your job and you don't have to look over your shoulder. 

The HC needs to be somewhat involved in all three phases. The fact that Gase wasn’t as involved and trusted Burke is part of why he got fired. 

33 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

The HC needs to be somewhat involved in all three phases. The fact that Gase wasn’t as involved and trusted Burke is part of why he got fired. 

I mean, I do believe that Ross’s plan is to tank next year and that it probably became apparent after the loss to the Jaguars.  It would be a tough pill to swallow to have your starting QB in week 1 be either David Fales or Luke Falk.  So Gase probably sought to make it easier for Ross to let him go.  

In a way this bodes well for the Jets, as Gase might not be the Mangini/Chip Kelly weirdo that people think.  

On 1/10/2019 at 4:45 PM, Daniel said:

I mean, I do believe that Ross’s plan is to tank next year and that it probably became apparent after the loss to the Jaguars.  It would be a tough pill to swallow to have your starting QB in week 1 be either David Fales or Luke Falk.  So Gase probably sought to make it easier for Ross to let him go.  

In a way this bodes well for the Jets, as Gase might not be the Mangini/Chip Kelly weirdo that people think.  

Yeah, word is leaking out that gase forced his hand to get fired.. he trying hard to get williams as DC... that would be a solid combo for the jets in a now offensive NFL...  now they need to rebuild that OLine for sammy and get a stud WR

Williams is precisely the type of fiery take no prisoners personality the Jets need within the organization especially after the totally inept and confused Bowles & Rodgers error. I'm definitely looking forward to a lot better preparation and attention to detail from these two. Doesn't mean these are the two guys to lead us to the promised land, but I do think things will absolutely get better and Gase/Williams are just outright better football people

Could care less about Gase's eyes. So he has bug eyes. Don't care how awkward he comes across in those settings. He's not a suit and press conference guy...he's a football guy. All the better

Also like how we retained Boyer as Special Teams coach. Did a terrific job in 2018-19

Edited by '7'

Jets have signed Frank Pollack to be the offensive line coach. Was with Dallas from 2013-2017. First two years as an assistant, last two as the OL coach. 2018 he spent in Cinci. Left on his own accord but their line was much improved this season under his guidance (Zac Taylor will likely be bringing his own people in)

Good hire. Respected coach throughout the league. I think we're putting together a quality coaching staff. Miles better than Bowles and his merry band of idiots

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Mawae was a brilliant center. Incredibly agile, never had a bad snap to a QB under center or in the shotgun. Incredibly durable. Team leader and a consistently great player. One thing you never saw the Jets have to deal with during the Mawae (and then Mangold) era was interior pressure

2 minutes ago, '7' said:

Mawae was a brilliant center. Incredibly agile, never had a bad snap to a QB under center or in the shotgun. Incredibly durable. Team leader and a consistently great player. One thing you never saw the Jets have to deal with during the Mawae (and then Mangold) era was interior pressure

Well deserved. Hell of a player. 

• 1 month later...

Jets trade for OG Kelechi Osemele (gave up nothing) he is a former Pro Bowler/All Pro who was derailed by injuries last season

Jets also going to make a heavy push for Adam Humphries. He's not a #1 but a very solid reliable #2 on the upswing of his career that they have to get. Solid hands, good route runner. Would be a big help for Darnold in terms of a reliable security blanket to go along with Herndon. Get him guys who can catch the football!

And the Jets working on the defense now, signing both linebackers CJ Moseley and Anthony Barr.  This could blow up the way other Jet spending sprees have, but at least unlike the Devils they're actually trying and unlike the Mets it isn't automatically with the second-tier guys.

Edited by NJDevs4978

2 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

And the Jets working on the defense now, signing both linebackers CJ Moseley and Anthony Barr.  This could blow up the way other Jet spending sprees have, but at least unlike the Devils they're actually trying and unlike the Mets it isn't automatically with the second-tier guys.

Kinda sensed that a big spending spree was coming from the Jets...in the NFL, if you're willing to spend it, they will come.  Having a young QB who looks like he's going to have a nice career doesn't hurt either.  Looks like this latest valley that the Jets have been in is going to come to an end. 

Your point on the Mets is accurate, the one on the Devils isn't, but the latter is a narrative that people confuse with the GM not saddling himself with bad UFA overpayments, and sticking to the approach that he's made clear that he doesn't want to deviate from.  Of course Shero's way is no guarantee (no such thing), but at least with the picks he's accumulated and the cap space he's got (and which will still be good once others' hits come off, even with raises to dole out to current personnel), he's got flexibility to make trades, take on existing contracts if that's the way he wants to go, etc...easy to forget how little he had to work with when he got here.  Just because he decided not to jump into a mediocre UFA market last season and wanted to take a step back to get a better read on the bodies he had in house doesn't mean he isn't trying. 

4 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

I like these signings. I mean yes overpayments were going to happen but these are also guys who have consistently performed at a high level throughout the entirety of their careers, have had no motivational issues, and are still young and have plenty of prime years to go. These are the proper investments to make and barring unforeseen injuries, I think Barr and Mosley will perform during their tenure here and significantly upgrade the defense.

Jets fans have been clamoring for this. They have had a lot of open cap space for a while and have refused to move on it. Finally they're doing something and I think these are the right guys to invest in. Kind of reminds me of 2008/09. Bart Scott, Jim Leonhard, Calvin Pace. These were the right guys at the right time for what the defense wanted to do. I have faith Gregg Williams worked with Mac to bring in his guys as well...versatile players.

Bell I wouldn't be so sure. He's a luxury we may want to pass on and just keep up with the cheap RB by committee approach

Edited by '7'
  • Like 1

And the Jets still have a major hole at center that has to be addressed one way or another. Spencer Long was an embarrassment last year. Paradis + Osemele totally changes the complexion of the o-line. He's a more important signing than Bell would be

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Kinda sensed that a big spending spree was coming from the Jets...in the NFL, if you're willing to spend it, they will come.  Having a young QB who looks like he's going to have a nice career doesn't hurt either.  Looks like this latest valley that the Jets have been in is going to come to an end. 

Your point on the Mets is accurate, the one on the Devils isn't, but the latter is a narrative that people confuse with the GM not saddling himself with bad UFA overpayments, and sticking to the approach that he's made clear that he doesn't want to deviate from.  Of course Shero's way is no guarantee (no such thing), but at least with the picks he's accumulated and the cap space he's got (and which will still be good once others' hits come off, even with raises to dole out to current personnel), he's got flexibility to make trades, take on existing contracts if that's the way he wants to go, etc...easy to forget how little he had to work with when he got here.  Just because he decided not to jump into a mediocre UFA market last season and wanted to take a step back to get a better read on the bodies he had in house doesn't mean he isn't trying. 

re: the Devils they could have also done things like the Jet trade for the Raider offensive lineman too, or taking on expiring deals to get an asset - using cap isn’t all about free agency or locking up long term deals. It’s just annoying seeing $25 million in cap go to waste every single year.

Even the Jets have had seasons of banking cap but you know they’ll eventually spend if that doesn’t work out. I’m not even sure how confident I should be in Mac doing the spending, since 2015 only worked for 15 games. Then again they did at least have a 10-win season with Fitz.

26 minutes ago, '7' said:

I like these signings. I mean yes overpayments were going to happen but these are also guys who have consistently performed at a high level throughout the entirety of their careers, have had no motivational issues, and are still young and have plenty of prime years to go. These are the proper investments to make and barring unforeseen injuries, I think Barr and Mosley will perform during their tenure here and significantly upgrade the defense.

Jets fans have been clamoring for this. They have had a lot of open cap space for a while and have refused to move on it. Finally they're doing something and I think these are the right guys to invest in. Kind of reminds me of 2008/09. Bart Scott, Jim Leonhard, Calvin Pace. These were the right guys at the right time for what the defense wanted to do. I have faith Gregg Williams worked with Mac to bring in his guys as well...versatile players.

Bell I wouldn't be so sure. He's a luxury we may want to pass on and just keep up with the cheap RB by committee approach

With Bell I’m really torn on going for him or not, for all the obvious reasons. He seems like this season’s version of Kirk Cousins, the guy we try to overpay but can’t, then we’re forced to go to a plan B which was likely better in the long run anyway.

21 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

With Bell I’m really torn on going for him or not, for all the obvious reasons. He seems like this season’s version of Kirk Cousins, the guy we try to overpay but can’t, then we’re forced to go to a plan B which was likely better in the long run anyway.

Great production can be had with Tevin Coleman, a 3rd or 4th round RB, and Elijah McGuire. Bolster the line and the production will be there. 17 million for such a burn and turn position is silly.

14 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

A reminder nothing is official this week till players can actually sign....pfft

odd. But yea very Jetsian. Just curious the comparison between both purported deals.

Scummy move by Barr is he agreed and went back on it, but we don't know if he agreed

Edited by '7'