2018 JETS

Beezer34

3 minutes ago, Beezer34 said:

That really pisses me off. I wanted Hightower BAD.

Maccagnan can't seal the deal if his life depended on it. And I thought Idzik was bad. Dont'a Hightower, Jack Crawford, RG3, Ron Brooks, Jermaine Gresham, K'Waun Williams, Courtney Upshaw. Over the past year, every free agent MM hosts, leaves and signs elsewhere. Even CJ Spiller originally visited, then signed with Seattle, before tucking his tail between his legs and signing with the Jets 3 months after the fact when Seattle released him. He's such an amateur GM it's comical. At this point, I hope Jay Cutler just signs instead of visits. Visits are the kiss of death.

Howard Jones & Zach Line are the next two guys that'll be here for a "visit" this week. Maybe try brownies this time. :P

IMG_2556.PNG

Ha, that's a great picture!

Howard Jones would be a great signing on the cheap. He has shown ability to get after the QB and anybody who was uncovered by the Steelers and was schooled in their ranks, even for a short period of time, is alright by me.

16 minutes ago, Beezer34 said:

Maccagnan can't seal the deal if his life depended on it. And I thought Idzik was bad. Dont'a Hightower, Jack Crawford, RG3, Ron Brooks, Jermaine Gresham, K'Waun Williams, Courtney Upshaw. Over the past year, every free agent MM hosts, leaves and signs elsewhere. Even CJ Spiller originally visited, then signed with Seattle, before tucking his tail between his legs and signing with the Jets 3 months after the fact when Seattle released him. He's such an amateur GM it's comical. At this point, I hope Jay Cutler just signs instead of visits. Visits are the kiss of death.

Howard Jones & Zach Line are the next two guys that'll be here for a "visit" this week. Maybe try brownies this time. :P

IMG_2556.PNG

u forgot hoyer. hoyer visited twice last season before signing with the bears. he was suposed to be ur back up plan to fitzpatrick

8 minutes ago, SS#4-Life said:

u forgot hoyer. hoyer visited twice last season before signing with the bears. he was suposed to be ur back up plan to fitzpatrick

Hoyer and Fitz are interchangeable. No great loss.

3 hours ago, Beezer34 said:

Exactly. I have never been a supporter of a full "rebuild" when it comes to football. Baseball & hockey, fine. But when it comes to a 16 game year (where injuries can completely change the course of a season for teams) single-elimination playoffs, and the amount of parity that already comes with the league.. it just doesn't pay to fully blow-up the whole thing. There have been so many examples of "average" teams getting hot at the right time, and doing great things in the NFL. I don't often see that in hockey. In the NHL & MLB, the best teams usually win. In the NFL, the hot teams do.

Marshall had altercations with Revis, Pryor and Richardson last season. He had a halftime meltdown during the New England game that angered the entire team. Seth Walder said that no one on the roster really wanted him back. I would like to give the guy the benefit of the doubt, but let's be fair here.. he's on his 5th different team now (with the Giants) over the last 7 years. The guy has a history of wearing out his welcome everywhere he goes. Fans blast the Jets for acquiring malcontent players like Marshall.. but question why when they get shown the door?

Regarding Mangold.. you have no idea what type of conversation(s) the organization had with him. They may have told him: hey, go out there, see what your value is, and let us know. He may find his way back this year. If he doesn't.. that's okay too. He's 33 years old, and had alot of trouble staying on the field this past season. The guy wasn't going to play forever.. and thank God (like 7 pointed out) Johnson's 26 years old. He went up against some tough front sevens, and looked damn good.

Rebuilds are usually a two year plan. You don't look at the current year as much as you look forward towards next season. Having said that.. next season will be Season #4 for this administration (Maccagnan & Bowles) provided they last that long. If the organization was genuine about a "rebuild".. why didn't they do it Year 1 after Rex got fired December 2014? Why did they go out and acquire Forte, Marshall, Gilchrist, Skrine, Cromartie, Revis, etc. and spend 50 million dollars?

The Jets have a GM & HC that are fighting for their lives.. and fans think they're going to tear it all down? --I don't see that.

Average teams don't win the Super Bowl.  People can bring up the Giants but they had an elite pass rush and a solid coach/QB.  Maybe Baltimore was the closest thing to a mediocre team that won a SB recently but even Harbaugh/Flacco are a bit better than what we'll be trotting out at QB/coach the next couple years.  You either need an elite QB to win a Super Bowl or an elite roster around the QB.  Option A isn't walking through that door anytime soon (at least not until the next draft, or if Deshawn drops this year, they take him and he turns out to be a franchise guy), option B you need a series of solid drafts and smart FA signings, not short-term patchwork moves.  I don't think they're close enough to justify short-term signings, it's not like the 2008-09 team where you did have a solid defense/running game and could justify win-now moves.

They themselves claimed they wanted to sign Marshall to an extension and then dropped him when he declined, that's the only thing that made cutting him so odd.  I get Mangold's not all that healthy anymore but he's still a competent player and it's not like the Jets are going to have cap issues now that nobody wants to come here.  Worse comes to worse you could always move him or Johnson to another spot on the line, it's not like the rest of their line's all that great either.

I don't disagree with your last sentence, at least inasmuch as Bowles obviously wants to win and who knows about Macc's job status if they don't win soon.  Maybe with Woody going to Europe there's a willingness to take the longer view now?  That's the only rationale I can come up with for why rebuild in year 3 when you didn't in year 1.

Edited by NJDevs4978

I have to say though that Macc and Bowles fates should not be tied together. Macc deserves at least one attempt at picking his own coach.

I still have this feeling (wishful thinking) that the plan, perhaps between just Macc and Woody, is to lure an unhappy Bill O'Brien out of Houston after this season and pair him with Hackenberg to start off 2018. 

14 minutes ago, SS#4-Life said:

u forgot hoyer. hoyer visited twice last season before signing with the bears.

I'm sure I forgot several other players over the course of the last year. Kinda says something about Bowles & Maccagnan don't it? The fact that after a player meets one\both of them, they go running. :lol: That sh!t never happened with Mr. T & Rex. A player would have dinner with Rex, and then run home to pack his bags.

Rex  -->  Bowles

Mr. T  -->  Maccagnan

Sanchez  -->  ???

I remember how badly everyone wanted to run out the old regime. 3 years later, where the fvck are we?? How's that old saying go? -- "Careful what you wish for."

5 hours ago, '7' said:

I'll give Macc credit in that he holds his cards very close to the vest and throws out many conflicting and misleading reports. Especially about players the Jets are supposedly hot on (Trubisky) then those reports are refuted. I would never guess the Jets would be in on Hightower at all pre free agency. The Jets next moves have been a lot more difficult to predict under Macc.

I guess with Mangold, Wes Johnson either did a good enough job in Maccs eyes...or they're likely going C somewhere in the top 3 rounds.

I love Mangold but perhaps the fact that he hasn't been signed yet (or Revis for that matter) while Marshall was scooped up ASAP) is quite telling regarding what the rest of the league thinks about his abilities and where they're heading

You're right about the first paragraph, I saw on Twitter today (just before word leaked out he'd re-signed) where supposedly Hightower wasn't even an option for us after he left the building so who knows what the level of interest really was.  It is getting comical that they're ostensibly coming up short on everyone they're after.  If nothing else Macc's stubborn about valuation - albeit probably went over his inner scale to re-sign Fitz last year, but that's because there was going to be a mutiny if he didn't bring him back.  Little did anyone know there was going to be a mutiny anyway :P 

5 minutes ago, '7' said:

I have to say though that Macc and Bowles fates should not be tied together. Macc deserves at least one attempt at picking his own coach.

Fvck that bro. If they can't right the ship, then get rid of them both. Seriously.. as bad has Bowles has been -- and he's been awful -- Maccagnan has equally done a poor job. If 2017 turns into another laugher, then they don't deserve to get a 4th season.

8 minutes ago, Beezer34 said:

Fvck that bro. If they can't right the ship, then get rid of them both. Seriously.. as bad has Bowles has been -- and he's been awful -- Maccagnan has equally done a poor job. If 2017 turns into another laugher, then they don't deserve to get a 4th season.

how many times have u said that? has anything ever gotten better? this is why ur team never has sustainable success. to much flux

FWIW Revis got exonerated legally, which I could care less about cause I don't want him back anyway after he was jaking it last year.

Meanwhile Austin Seferian-Jenkins wasn't so lucky, getting suspended the first two games next year.  What a waste of talent.

Edited by NJDevs4978

30 minutes ago, Beezer34 said:

Woody should have let the GM pick his own coach, just like he should have with Idzik/Rex.  Otherwise you run into loggerheads when the GM and coaches work at cross purposes.

And yes I realize the Giants sometimes handcuff a coach to a GM too, but when the coach is Coughlin that isn't so bad.

1 hour ago, SS#4-Life said:

this is why ur team never has sustainable success. to much flux

More flux than the Broncos?

2007-2017.  Jake Plummer, Kyle Orton, Patrick Ramsey, Brady Quinn, Chris Simms, Jay Cutler, Tim Tebow, Peyton Manning, Brock Osweiler, Trevor Siemian, Paxton Lynch.. and highly likely.. Tony Romo next.

Equally.. the HC's... Mike Shanahan, Josh McDaniels, Eric Studesville, John Fox, Gary Kubiak, Vance Joseph.

10 years.. 12 quarterbacks.. 6 head coaches.
5 Division Titles.. 2 Conference Championships.. 1 Superbowl.

Flux like that?

The Jets don't have sustainable success for the same reason the Bills & Dolphins don't have sustainable success. We play in the same division as the Brady and the Patriots. The greatest dynasty in the league since 2002. Before that Peyton and the Colts were in our division from 1997-2001. That's been the last 20 years of the AFC East. That's our division. That's why it's been hard. Not flux.

1 hour ago, SS#4-Life said:

how many times have u said that? has anything ever gotten better? this is why ur team never has sustainable success. to much flux

Well it's not like Idzik or Rex have succeeded wildly anywhere else. Or Mangini for that matter. Or Herm. Or Terry Bradway (though he had his moments. I don't think he was as bad as he's remembered) If you have the wrong guys, you move on from them.

20 hours ago, '7' said:

In Mehta's article he mentions that Revis played last year at 217lbs, which is a good 20lbs above his regular playing weight. What is the excuse for being so overweight last year? And Bowles was ok with this just throwing him out there?

Yup. In today's article, Manish claims that people are saying Mo is tipping the scales too.  http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/sloppy-shape-mo-wilkerson-shocks-scouts-temple-article-1.2999708?utm_content=buffer3a602&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=mmehta+twitter

Seems like Bowles is running a food orgy on 1 Jets Drive.

Reminds me of the stuff I read in Gang Green (a Gerald Eskanzi history of the Jets written in the late '90's I think) when during the Kotite era Mo Lewis used to have someone sign in for him when he was supposed to be weightlifting and get another cheeseburger instead :P

1 hour ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Reminds me of the stuff I read in Gang Green (a Gerald Eskanzi history of the Jets written in the late '90's I think) when during the Kotite era Mo Lewis used to have someone sign in for him when he was supposed to be weightlifting and get another cheeseburger instead :P

Ha. Well I doubt Kotite would even care to check. Though Lewis played so well and never took a down off so I guess he can be forgiven.

But overall...what the heck kind of lax ass backwards no accountability culture is this clown coach building here!? Absolutely nobody respects Bowles or takes him seriously. 

I am ready to dump him and let anybody off the street coach this team already. I would literally beg Gailey out of retirement now to have him be a caretaker coach for 2017 while we look for somebody else.

Get lost Bowles.

21 hours ago, Beezer34 said:

IMG_2556.PNG

I don't think you can lump Hightower into that group...I think the Jets AND Steelers handled this one right, in that they gave it a good shot, but they weren't going to be participants in Hightower's "Let me see if I can use your offer to get a little more money out of the Pats, the only team that I really want to play for" game...to their credit, both franchises basically said "If you're serious about joining our team, then sign right here, right now.  Don't take our offer back to your old team."  I get that there's technically nothing wrong with doing that, as players and agents do it all of the time, but at least the Jets and Steelers were smart enough (in this case) to not allow themselves to be used.  Apparently both teams dropped out when Hightower left the building.  They saw through the BS.  The market wound up being pretty soft for Hightower for a reason...sure, Hightower's shopping around worked a little, in that he was able to get some more money out of the Pats (supposedly they had offered about $10 million per year on a potential extension before last season, but Hightower wanted to test the market)...but probably not as much as he thought...and a big part of the reason for that was the Jets' and Steelers' outright refusal to get into bidding wars.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Jets are supposedly close to signing Morris Claiborne.

Would be a good move. He was a slow developer but came into his own last year and played well in limited action. Injury plagued in the past (of course) so a risk. But at 27 one worth taking. Former 1st overall pick.

Edited by '7'

16 minutes ago, '7' said:

Jets are supposedly close to signing Morris Claiborne.

I saw this. I absolutely love this move. He's peaking as a player at the perfect time. Thank God he just signed without visiting us before hand.

They needed a talented CB period.  Claiborne's fine with me, assuming they didn't give him some ridiculous deal (he's only played 32 games in the last four seasons), but at least he's the right age where you could see him contributing 3-4 years.

Edited by NJDevs4978

as a cowboys fan who has seen claiborne up close take it from me, u guys just got a excellent corner. clairborne had a tough first 2 seasons learning the nfl but he turned it around in '14. if he can stay healthy ur going to forget about revis

35 minutes ago, SS#4-Life said:

as a cowboys fan who has seen claiborne up close take it from me, u guys just got a excellent corner. clairborne had a tough first 2 seasons learning the nfl but he turned it around in '14. if he can stay healthy ur going to forget about revis

Forgetting Revis would be pretty lofty. If he can make me forget about Juston Burris, I'll call it a win for the Jets.

I didn't follow Clairborne that closely in 2014. I know 2015 was considered the year he start putting it all together, and 2016 was his breakout season. PFF ranked him the 9th best CB in the league Week 13 of last season before he got injured.  https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-top-25-nfl-cornerbacks-this-season/

I'll keep my expectations low until I see (at least) a 10 game body of work. But I'm very pleased we chose Claiborne over guys like Flowers & Carr.

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

News that the Giants are going to sign Geno.  Troll job or not, as a Dolphins fan, I guess I'm glad to see him go.  While he might have stunk against everyone else, he sure played well against the Phins.

I remember in an utterly meaningless game he put up a perfect QB rating against Miami. To me that would be like Ken Daneyko putting up a 5 goal game out of nowhere. Just one of those statistical oddities

Geno to the Giants probably means they have little faith in Nassib. Geno will bounce around the league for the next decade as a backup likely.

Edited by '7'

1 hour ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

Here's the thing about Claiborne: he's someone with raw untapped talent. He may be the best cornerback in the league next year. He may play 3 games. He may be the worst cornerback in the league next year. Nobody has any idea.

I'll say this: he's frustrating. As hell. He got the lowest score of all time on the Wonderlic. When my boys drafted him I thought "ah who cares if he's a little lazy/stupid, he'll be fine with his athleticism". And then, for 3 seasons, he showed why that test is important. He'd skip practice if he got benched. He'd pout if he wasn't on the field for a 3rd down play. 

There's one game that I will always remember as a microcosm of Claiborne's Dallas career, 2 years ago in St. Louis. He had an okay game, seemed to be getting targeted a lot but was holding his own. Towards the end of the game, he dropped a pick and on the very next play got TORCHED and blew an assignment for a touchdown. Dallas scored and STL got the ball back, and I was FUMING that claiborne was still on the field. Well, wouldn't ya know, he made a game-ending fantastic interception just a few plays later.

He was a 4th overall pick, not quite 1st

Yea I remember hearing about that scintillating 4 score. He's since admitted to just basically blowing the test off and barely "taking" it

Deion Sanders tells a similar story. Basically the Giants met with him and gave him some big thick test book...and he asked where what pick they had...they answered 18th. Sanders just got up and left. "Nah I'll be gone by then"

Edited by '7'
  • Like 1