Race To The Bottom Thread

Triumph

4 hours ago, Antiquated Colorado Rockie said:

They didn't tank for Neidermayer, they acquired that pick from Toronto, which is much more an example of savvy management. They didn't need to tank for Martin Brodeur (20th) or Danyeko (18th) or Elias (51st) and they sustained a good team for 20 years without drafting high.

I don't disagree with you that high picks give you a better chance of improving, though they aren't a guarantee, they also mean you suck. Zacha was 6th overall and he is the best prospect we have had probably since Parise, so I am not really disagreeing (and it was also a signal that changes were needed and it was about there where Lou was ushered out). My wish is that they first and foremost manage well and develop their players well. Also, it isn't totally a rational thing, I just can't cheer for losses.

In fairness, yeah, Lou did make a hell of a move to acquire the pick that allowed the Devils to nab Niedermayer, but it's fair to note that the Leafs were one of THE worst-run organizations back then...they were an absolute mess...and that team was in no position to give up what could very well turn out to be a Top-5 pick for a merely pretty good (but limited) player in Tom Kurvers, who had already played for three teams by the time Lou moved him.  You don't usually get franchises to make those kinds of mistakes.  The Rockies made a similarly boneheaded deal years before, trading a first-round pick to the Islanders (who took advantage of general Rockies' stupidity more than once) for a couple of nothing-specials in Dave Cameron and Bob Lorimer.  The pick they received wound up becoming Pat LaFontaine.  But unless Mike Milbury becomes a GM again, you probably won't see this level of WTF?! deals anytime soon. 

I don't outwardly root for the Devils to lose, and like Steven suggested, I don't think that was ever Tri's point in starting the thread, but at this point, with the playoffs very clearly out of reach, and this team fully capable of losing plenty on its own, I'm not going to get too upset if they lose, say, 13 out of the next 19 games, and draft higher up in their rounds.  And yes, at the moment, the Devils do indeed suck...as hard as they try not to.   

As far as the bolded goes...well, duh, of course.  Every fan and franchise wants that.  But sometimes you need a little help.  And though it's no guarantee, sometimes a high pick can provide that help (and drafting closer to the top of each round can't hurt either).   

21 minutes ago, Triumph said:

Sportsclubstats now gives us this:

25% chance of finishing 24th or higher

12% of finishing 25th

16% of finishing 26th

20% of finishing 27th

24% of finishing 28th

2% of finishing 29th

Feel like AZ has a good shot at beating us this week. Especially if we don't start getting guys back from injury, they have been play better hockey as of late. Certainly playing better than we are. Still think it would be tough for the Devils to be passed by them though.

The best anyone could do tonight was Vancouver keeping pace.  Everyone else down near the bottom lost.  Standings expressed in games under .500

WIN:  -1

CAR:  -1

BUF:  -1

VAN:  -2

DAL:  -2

DET:  -3

NJD:  -4

Edited by Triumph

Watch, with our luck we'll go on a run, miss playoffs by 5 pts. mgmt will marvel at our new found whatever, and reward non core players w/ contracts.  We need a few new "core' players like Shattenkirk, and larger skilled fw that can help on top 2 lines occasionally.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vadvlfan said:

Watch, with our luck we'll go on a run, miss playoffs by 5 pts. mgmt will marvel at our new found whatever, and reward non core players w/ contracts.  We need a few new "core' players like Shattenkirk, and larger skilled fw that can help on top 2 lines occasionally.

I actually see this happening as well.  I mean, if you look at the last half dozen games, they were against very tough opponents (WSH, NYR, BOS, MTL, CBJ twice).  Then there was OTT, NYI twice, and so forth.  We really haven't had any easy games in the past 10 or so.  Certainly not any teams that are really on our level or someone to be considered an 'equal', except maybe for the Islanders (we play them tough, and I don't think they're that good).

Basically the 8 game losing streak we're on now is just unsustainable, and is/was bound to break.  The schedule gets easier with COL, ARZ, and even NYI/PHI as was mentioned (and I just don't think either of them are much better than us, we play them both well and have beaten them each).  

Watch us win four straight here and suddenly be back in the conversation of relevancy and "on the outside looking in", as opposed "in the lottery conversation".  Even optimistic and never-say-die me doesn't want that to happen at this point per se, but I can't say I'd be disappointed to see some wins and something to cheer about.

The Devils are terrible and are not going to miss the playoffs by 5 points.  They're currently 11 points out and the Islanders have a game in hand on the Devils.  Even winning 4 straight won't put the Devils back in the conversation of anything.

2 hours ago, Triumph said:

The Devils are terrible and are not going to miss the playoffs by 5 points.  They're currently 11 points out and the Islanders have a game in hand on the Devils.  Even winning 4 straight won't put the Devils back in the conversation of anything.

I'm not saying it's likely by any means, I'm just saying that would be our luck.  We get hot at the end when it doesn't matter, and end up missing by just a little bit again.

FYI, if we're 11 out at the moment, and go on a 4 game streak, that's 8 points and would put us 3 behind them. With their game and hand, assuming they won it, that puts them 5 out, and I think most of us can agree that 5pts is considered in the conversation ;)

28 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I'm not saying it's likely by any means, I'm just saying that would be our luck.  We get hot at the end when it doesn't matter, and end up missing by just a little bit again.

FYI, if we're 11 out at the moment, and go on a 4 game streak, that's 8 points and would put us 3 behind them. With their game and hand, assuming they won it, that puts them 5 out, and I think most of us can agree that 5pts is considered in the conversation ;)

And that's assuming they lose those 4 straight games that we win?

3 hours ago, Crisis said:

And Toronto loses all their games too.

Please keep talk of the playoffs out of this thread.  It is not about delusion, there are plenty of other threads for that.

At points tonight looked bad, but everything kinda turned out the Devils' way.  Standings expressed in games above or below .500.  I put Arizona on here just to show you that even if the Devils lose in regulation to Arizona, they will be 5 games ahead of Arizona and are virtually a lock to be ahead of them at season's end.

CAR:  0

BUF:  -1

WIN:  -2

VAN:  -2

DAL:  -3

DET:  -4

NJD:  -5

ARI:  -12

18 hours ago, Crisis said:

Yes :-p  Obviously us winning 4 straight would be more than a longshot, it would be a miracle, but hey, if we were to do that, it wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility for them to lose 4 straight too lol.  

But alas, we lost anyway, to the lowly Avs, so it's a moot point.  

It's looking like we might end up in a tie with the Wings.  They don't seem to want to win lately either.  And funny enough, I will be in Michigan and going to the last game of the season between the Devils and the Wings.  The last game at the Joe.  Too bad both of these teams will be playing for nothing, though I'm sure the Wings will want to end with a win in the last game there.