Race To The Bottom Thread

Triumph

5 minutes ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

Seems like it's just our luck that we're finally bottoming out the year that Las Vegas gets to have a top-5 pick. 

Scrolled through the thread but might have missed it; anyone have a breakdown of how the lottery system works this year? Also including Vegas? 

As far as I understand it, they're not locked into anything other than having the same percentage chance as 3rd to last. So if we were to finish right where we're at, we'd have the same chance at the lottery as Vegas. They're guaranteed to pick no lower than 6th in the first round.

https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-expansion-draft-rules/c-281010592

9 minutes ago, Steven M. said:

As far as I understand it, they're not locked into anything other than having the same percentage chance as 3rd to last. So if we were to finish right where we're at, we'd have the same chance at the lottery as Vegas. They're guaranteed to pick no lower than 6th in the first round.

https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-expansion-draft-rules/c-281010592

actually, the devils would have 4th best odds. 3rd to last means you get pushed back. you don't have same odds as vegas. vegas automatically gets placed like the 3rd worst team and everyone else gets pushed back.

27 minutes ago, sundstrom said:

actually, the devils would have 4th best odds. 3rd to last means you get pushed back. you don't have same odds as vegas. vegas automatically gets placed like the 3rd worst team and everyone else gets pushed back.

it says right in that article they'd have the same odds as 3rd to last. everywhere I've looked has the devils and vegas both currently at 10.3% for #1 overall and 30.7% for top 3.

19 minutes ago, Steven M. said:

it says right in that article they'd have the same odds as 3rd to last. everywhere I've looked has the devils and vegas both currently at 10.3% for #1 overall and 30.7% for top 3.

Yeah, I believe this is how they are doing it.

3 hours ago, Steven M. said:

i know what it says. it's what it doesn't say. saying same as does not necessarily mean that they both get it. it could mean their odds are the same as what the 3rd place team WOULD have. And so the third place gets pushed back to 4th. I have heard it said this way on nhl radio on sirius when discussing race to the bottom as well as Talking Red and Devils Insiders podcasts although neither are the actual be-all end all. If it means two teams get the same odds, that's fine by me. but since it also says they can only go as far down as 6, it means that the devils (assuming they are third worst team) would go as low as 7 (because if lets say 3 teams win the lottery that are above the worst 4 teams - well everyone moves back).

example:

end of season finish (worst to first)

col - arz - njd - det - dal - van

end of season draft odds (worst to first)

col - arz - las - njd - det - dal - van

draft order after lottery assuming det/dal/van all win

det - dal - van - col - arz - las - njd

so since vegas is getting put in the 3 spot, you'd assume they get 3 spot odds and they're not giving more than one team odds at each slot. it would mean that there is no 4th place odds. and that is something I haven't seen anywhere.

edit: tankathon.com has vegas and 3(4) spot w/ same odds. that's not NHL official though.

you could be right but it hasn't been 100% verified as far as I'm concerned.

50 minutes ago, HOLLYWOOD said:

wtf... Wild are 2-8 in their last 10 and  just crushed by the Canucks today.

This pleases me.. I know opinions here vary, but I would GREATLY enjoy seeing Parise and his ranch buddy Suter retire without a cup.

-------

So it would seem we're destined to finish 27th or 28th. Not bad, would be something if the lottery balls broke out way again.

Edited by Devilsfan118
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

This pleases me.. I know opinions here vary, but I would GREATLY enjoy seeing Parise and his ranch buddy Suter retire without a cup.

-------

So it would seem we're destined to finish 27th or 28th. Not bad, would be something if the lottery balls broke out way again.

Ditto, be nice to get down to 29th and increase the odds on the lottery. Looks like Gabriel Vilardi

has been moved up to 2nd overall in the draft. I think he's the top pick this year.