Race To The Bottom Thread

Triumph

so we earned another useless point. Vancouver lost.

Unless we continue on this torrid pace of futility, I see us possibly passing Vancouver... we play NYI, PHI, PHI, PIT, NYI, DET. We're 1 point behind Vancouver, they play LAK, SJ, SJ, AZ, EDM, EDM. I feel like their schedule is tougher... I could see them losing 5/6 there. I am sure you can pencil us in to lose to PIT, and PHI is probably due to beat us too, but we probably have a high potential to split with them. I could also see us winning one of those NYI games as it's basically the last remaining "playoff type feel" game that we have. The Detroit game is a toss up, but I'd give the upper hand to them with that being the last game at the Joe.

Fortunately we're basically only competing with Vancouver at this point, so hopefully they can surprise me and win half their games. Think that would be enough to stay ahead of us.

that means a difference of almost 2% on a 1st chance and about 5% on a top 3 chance, and then the 5th pick instead of a 4th...  the second scenario is the significant one, hate to drop that one spot when were up there so high..  almost time to start scratching starters

Everyone can appreciate picking in the top 3 of the first round, especially first overall, with the hopes of finding an NHL ready player. But remember, there is tremendous value in those 2nd and 3rd round picks, especially as trade bait for established players, which is what has widely been rumored to be Shero's plan because of the number of picks NJ has stockpiled. Not all second round picks are created equal, and ours should be intriguing to other GM's. Whether we trade them or use them is up to the boss.

I agree that it's brutal seeing NEW JERSEY at the very bottom of the conference standings on NHL.com everyday, but maybe, just maybe, this 16 losses in 18 games (read: "tank") can be the catalyst for a turnaround. Hope is all we've got.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NLinfante said:

Everyone can appreciate picking in the top 3 of the first round, especially first overall, with the hopes of finding an NHL ready player. But remember, there is tremendous value in those 2nd and 3rd round picks, especially as trade bait for established players, which is what has widely been rumored to be Shero's plan because of the number of picks NJ has stockpiled. Not all second round picks are created equal, and ours should be intriguing to other GM's. Whether we trade them or use them is up to the boss.

I agree that it's brutal seeing NEW JERSEY at the very bottom of the conference standings on NHL.com everyday, but maybe, just maybe, this 16 losses in 18 games (read: "tank") can be the catalyst for a turnaround. Hope is all we've got.

Absolutely...but this years draft is really not regarding as a deep one. So I think the value would be diminished somewhat this year.

I would absolutely try to deal our 2nd round pick this year if we can net an established play that can help us in 17-18 and beyond.

17 hours ago, Toasterleavins said:

I would be okay with Mittlestadt, Veleno, Hischier, Patrick, or Glass depending on where we pick. I do not want Owen tippett or Rasmussen.

Veleno is 2018 eligible. I actually quite like Owen Tippett, for my money he has the best shot in the draft, and we need right wingers.

4 minutes ago, CommonDreads said:

Veleno is 2018 eligible. I actually quite like Owen Tippett, for my money he has the best shot in the draft, and we need right wingers.

**Vilardi

Damn italian names.

Regarding Tippett, for some reason he makes me think of Jake Virtanen a little too much. All tools, no toolbox etc. 

Edited by Toasterleavins

3 hours ago, Jerzey said:

I hate to be a pessimist here but couldn't putting Coleman and Pietila out on the PK late in the 3rd when the game is tied be considered a tank move? Not that I'm against it at this point.

They've been doing this sort of thing for 2 weeks now.  They're evaluating the kids. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Jerzey said:

I hate to be a pessimist here but couldn't putting Coleman and Pietila out on the PK late in the 3rd when the game is tied be considered a tank move? Not that I'm against it at this point.

That's the old double-edged sword with playing the kids.  Don't get me wrong, at this stage of the game (pure garbage time) I'm 100% fine with young inexperienced players getting ice time...better them than Tootoo and Ruutu-types.  But this is what you'll often get early on...a lot of ugliness, mistakes, and guys not seeming to be ready. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

That's the old double-edged sword with playing the kids.  Don't get me wrong, at this stage of the game (pure garbage time) I'm 100% fine with young inexperienced players getting ice time...better them than Tootoo and Ruutu-types.  But this is what you'll often get early on...a lot of ugliness, mistakes, and guys not seeming to be ready. 

Not for nothing, it was fun listening to a Daneyko trying to distinguish between Tootoo and Ruutu. If they could have played with Auvitu his head would have exploded. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

It was actually for group leaders only. Sucked. Last year they had free beer but no luck this year. Also an hour of traffic on 20 which usually takes me 15 mins.

What are group leaders? (pardon my ignorance, just legitimately have no clue)

2 minutes ago, Steven M. said:

What are group leaders? (pardon my ignorance, just legitimately have no clue)

My mom gets together about 40 people every year and gets special rates, there was about 300 people there and the guy who heads up the Group Members operations gave a speech and they had a raffle of some things