Race To The Bottom Thread

Triumph

2 hours ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

It was actually for group leaders only. Sucked. Last year they had free beer but no luck this year. Also an hour of traffic on 20 which usually takes me 15 mins.

After the product they iced this year, they should have been handing out free kegs.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

My mom gets together about 40 people every year and gets special rates, there was about 300 people there and the guy who heads up the Group Members operations gave a speech and they had a raffle of some things

Oh duh, groups, I forgot about that program. Neat.

Insider trading, they talk about a number of topics, one of them is John Hynes job security. Bobby Mac thinks Hynes is safe (this snippet starts around 2:35)

http://www.tsn.ca/video/insider-trading-is-jagr-serious-about-playing-to-50~1090037

13 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Not for nothing, it was fun listening to a Daneyko trying to distinguish between Tootoo and Ruutu. If they could have played with Auvitu his head would have exploded. 

Speaking of Dan-o...much as I like him, sadly I don't think it's ever going to happen for him as a color man.  I was more than willing to give him a while to grow into the job, but it just doesn't seem like a great fit.

Ditto Johnny Mac in his role...pains me to say that, as he'll always be my favorite player (damn that ACL, he was going to score 50 that year), but he's brutal on the air. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

Speaking of Dan-o...much as I like him, sadly I don't think it's ever going to happen for him as a color man.  I was more than willing to give him a while to grow into the job, but it just doesn't seem like a great fit.

Ditto Johnny Mac in his role...pains me to say that, as he'll always be my favorite player (damn that ACL, he was going to score 50 that year), but he's brutal on the air. 

Yeah I love them both as Devils, but they suck on-air, especially Johnny Mac. If I were in charge of the broadcast team I'd make almost across the board changes, as follows: Deb and Johnny Mac out on pre and post, Matt Loughlin moved from radio PBP to pre and post TV host (a role he excelled in before); Hire Scott Gomez for Johnny Mac's job- he has the right personality for it and I think Gomez would be good at that job; hire Don LaGreca to take Loughlin's place in the radio booth as the full time Radio PBP guy- bring LaGreca home so he can stop shilling for the Rags- he and Sherry Ross would make a good team; finally, I'd keep Cangi and Dano in their roles because I honestly don't know who we can hire at this point who would be clear upgrades over either of them- plus Dano IS 'Mr. Devil', which, while he isn't the greatest color guy, does hold some weight. Both guys have been around and know the team very well too- I can live with them, but the rest of the crew needs an overhaul.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I don't think Dano is going anywhere, to be honest. I think he does a fine job, a color guy's job isn't necessarily to be that articulate and I don't think his voice is nearly as annoying as some people think. He's kind of a mess, but so was Chico and that's what I love about them.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Steven M. said:

I don't think Dano is going anywhere, to be honest. I think he does a fine job, a color guy's job isn't necessarily to be that articulate and I don't think his voice is nearly as annoying as some people think. He's kind of a mess, but so was Chico and that's what I love about them.

Exactly. If he were the main guy, he couldn't be that way. But the color guy? Its what is expected and its fun. 

Even Dano has admitted he screams too much and blessed the production crew for trying. I like jmac the player but his analytics are weak and I usually tune him out.

I think Deb isn't bad when she isn't forced to be the main personality, which happens when she is interacting with Johnny.

The maven is cringe worthy and I hope Msg retires him soon.

28 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Exactly. If he were the main guy, he couldn't be that way. But the color guy? Its what is expected and its fun. 

Yeah. I also think that despite being a complete Devils homer through and through, he still offers adequate praise and is not overly cringy toward opposing teams. We all know the type. I think they are both pretty good at what they do to be honest, we are just spoiled from years of Doc & Chico which was quite frankly an unbeatable tandem. 

• Like 1

Just now, Steven M. said:

Yeah. I also think that despite being a complete Devils homer through and through, he still offers adequate praise and is not overly cringy toward opposing teams. We all know the type. I think they are both pretty good at what they do to be honest, we are just spoiled from years of Doc & Chico which was quite frankly an unbeatable tandem. 

I'm not a Cangialosi fan, but you are probably right on point as to why. Doc was one of the best ever. 

My favorite part of Dano's schtick is how bad he is on the trivia questions that pertain to times he was on the team. I swear once the answer was "Ken Daneyko" and he had no clue. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I'm not a Cangialosi fan, but you are probably right on point as to why. Doc was one of the best ever. 

My favorite part of Dano's schtick is how bad he is on the trivia questions that pertain to times he was on the team. I swear once the answer was "Ken Daneyko" and he had no clue. 

Cangi's definitely not the best in the biz but I think everyone can at least agree he's improved a lot. Gone are the days of "SHOT SCAR!" and every single attempt being a "sharp angle shot!" I enjoy his blood-curdling OT calls the most I think... that's what made it so depressing that he didn't know Blandisi scored last game against the Rangers :lol:

I think he'll keep getting better and he's definitely a likeable guy, I think so I can deal with him. Enjoy him a hell of a lot more than the Sam Rosen's, pittsburgh tools, and Jack Edwards of the world...

Guess we should get back on topic... a Vancouver win tonight against LA would be pretty damn helpful tonight. Like I said in this thread earlier, they've got two pairs left, one against SJ and EDM so if they could take care of business in this game and their other standalone one (AZ) we could be in good shape for staying behind them.

• Like 1

Even Dano has admitted he screams too much and blessed the production crew for trying. I like jmac the player but his analytics are weak and I usually tune him out.

I think Deb isn't bad when she isn't forced to be the main personality, which happens when she is interacting with Johnny.

The maven is cringe worthy and I hope Msg retires him soon.

Someone else I hope the Devils give consideration to as a Deb replacement would be Julie Robenhymer. I think she's done generally pretty well as the Devils All Access host, and she also has a pretty good base of hockey knowledge (she's not hard on the eyes either lol).

24 minutes ago, Steven M. said:

Cangi's definitely not the best in the biz but I think everyone can at least agree he's improved a lot. Gone are the days of "SHOT SCAR!" and every single attempt being a "sharp angle shot!"

I disagree. He still says sharp angle shot multiple times each game, and if it only seems like he stopped with SHOT SCAR, it's only because we don't scar anywhere near as much as we should scar. 

He also constantly gets penalties and other things wrong. Like how he announced it was the "26th game in a row" that Palmieri, Hall and Zajac were together, which he's been doing every game and is completely annoying, but he didn't realize that Blandisi was out on that unit. 

• Like 1

I must be in the minority but I actually really like Steve. I think he's pretty articulate and well spoken, sure he makes the occasional mistake but show me a broadcaster that doesn't in a game that's as fast as hockey. I think he definitely has a professional sports voice, which can't be said for all broadcasters, I think the Isles new guy sounds like he should be calling D3 college games.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Someone else I hope the Devils give consideration to as a Deb replacement would be Julie Robenhymer. I think she's done generally pretty well as the Devils All Access host, and she also has a pretty good base of hockey knowledge (she's not hard on the eyes either lol).

She's been awesome. Jersey girl too, hope she sticks around and I agree that she'd do well on TV.

• Like 1

At first I found Dano almost unlistenable because of his neanderthal voice. Content wise I think he is okay and of course I appreciate what he did for the franchise on the ice. I got used to his voice but I think he should be upgraded tbh. I think Cangialosi is passable though there are better out there. Mac is borderline amateur and should be replaced to. Even our broadcast team is in a rebuild.

1 hour ago, Antiquated Colorado Rockie said:

At first I found Dano almost unlistenable because of his neanderthal voice. Content wise I think he is okay and of course I appreciate what he did for the franchise on the ice. I got used to his voice but I think he should be upgraded tbh. I think Cangialosi is passable though there are better out there. Mac is borderline amateur and should be replaced to. Even our broadcast team is in a rebuild.

Cangi has definitely grown on me over the years. Dano has only made me grow tired of him. Yay he did a lot for us on the ice, but I'd love to get an upgrade there, wont happen but oh well.

Mac, just like his time as coach, is a waste.

17 hours ago, EdgeControl said:

lets go desert dogs, you can do it!  29th!!!!! or bust

Running out of games but we sure are doing our best to let them catch up. That would be awesome if it happened, would essentially leap two teams with vegas there.

8 hours ago, njd3b1ink said:

If the Devils lose to philly on Tuesday there's a legit chance Arizona could pass us. I would be surprised if we beat the pens or isles and the Yotes play both Vancouver and Dallas coming up.

We need to do our part and lose out.  These games mean nothing as wins.