GDT: Devils v. Capitals, 1/26/17, 7pm RETRO NIGHT!!!

mfitz804

RECAP

• Against a lesser team, this could have been a win.
  • Defensive errors was the difference in this game.
  • Santini looked bad tonight.
  • Zacha and Josefson have looked very good the past few games.
  • Noesen looks really good.

EVEN STRENGTH POSSESSION

• CF: 44 to 41, 51.76%
  • FF: 40 to 37, 51.95%
  • SF: 26 to 27, 49.06%

1 minute ago, Mike Brown said:

RECAP

• Against a lesser team, this could have been a win.
  • Defensive errors was the difference in this game.
  • Santini looked bad tonight.
  • Zacha and Josefson have looked very good the past few games.
  • Noesen looks really good.

EVEN STRENGTH POSSESSION

• CF: 44 to 41, 51.76%
  • FF: 40 to 37, 51.95%
  • SF: 26 to 27, 49.06%

agree mike w/ santini. Puck chasing way out of his d zone. leaving a forward back, and that last goal, ugh

48 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

True, but even if it does turn into a "fight" (that wasn't much of a fight, in my opinion), they don't need to throw two guys out of the game. All part of the pussification of sports. Let them play, let them police the game themselves, right or wrong. 

Gimme a break.  They don't call these rules enough - third man in makes a fight very dangerous and should absolutely result in being thrown out of the game.  The instigator works under the same principle.  Good on the refs for actually getting this call right for once.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Triumph said:

Gimme a break.  They don't call these rules enough - third man in makes a fight very dangerous and should absolutely result in being thrown out of the game.  The instigator works under the same principle.  Good on the refs for actually getting this call right for once.

Was a punch even thrown? You call that a fight? 

2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Was a punch even thrown? You call that a fight? 

Yes, punches were thrown.  The reason why it didn't look like a traditional 'fight' and why not many punches were thrown is because Tom Wilson immediately jumped in as a third man in and was deservedly ejected from the game for that.

given their roster and our roster there is very little margin for error. And the Devils exceeded that margin for error by a lot. Too many breakdowns and boneheaded plays.

I know he doesn't have the horses but I'm not sold on Hynes. Never really have been.

Bright spot: the newbie gets one, that has to feel good for him, nice feed from PZ.

3 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Maybe when Barnum & Bailey folds its tents for good and puts all of its clowns on waivers, Shero can claim a few and stick 'em in the lineup.  Might be an improvement.  fvck fvck fvck.

I approve this message lol

At least this wasn't my fault, I've been 0-6 the last six Devil games I've been to in a two month span but thankfully didn't see this latest massacre (or the last Cap game for that matter).  Of course now the Devils themselves are 0-6 in their last six at home.  And season ticket renewals start next week :lol:

Edited by NJDevs4978

11 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

I approve this message lol

At least this wasn't my fault, I've been 0-6 the last six Devil games I've been to in a two month span but thankfully didn't see this latest massacre (or the last Cap game for that matter).  Of course now the Devils themselves are 0-6 in their last six at home.  And season ticket renewals start next week :lol:

They have 3 home wins in the past 14 home games since December 1st. So much for all that tough road schedule talk lol 

6 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

They have 3 home wins in the past 14 home games since December 1st. So much for all that tough road schedule talk lol 

I've brought up the schedule a lot...the earlier road/home scheduling imbalance was kind of my last hope, in terms of this team possibly having any surprises...but this team is what it is.  They'll finish somewhere between 77 and 87 points, depending on luck, injuries, etc. 

Now 11-18-6 since that 9-3-3 start that seems like a million years ago. 

Starting to think that Taylor Hall, who IS a good player and DOES have obvious skill, might be morphing into that dangerous combination of being a little overrated (not vastly, just a little) and becoming very frustrated.  All that guy has known since coming into the NHL is losing, losing, and more losing.  You wonder when it starts to wear on a guy, when effort and ability aren't translating to results.

I was annoyed with him last night, with the missed shots (as were others), and there's been times that I've been frustrated with him, but damn does that guy need some help.  Badly.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

Went through the game just to see some interviews and what not. Where did this Arda Ocal guy come from? MSG seems to enjoy hiring some of the most annoying people lately. 

Apparently he worked for the WWE but was never on the main shows here. Did some like YouTube and network crap that nobody watches. He stinks. 

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Starting to think that Taylor Hall, who IS a good player and DOES have obvious skill, might be morphing into that dangerous combination of being a little overrated (not vastly, just a little) and becoming very frustrated.  All that guy has known since coming into the NHL is losing, losing, and more losing. 

I was annoyed with him last night, with the missed shots (as were others), and there's been times that I've been frustrated with him, but damn does that guy need some help.  Badly.

we need to be honest with him, he's a 20-25 goal scorer over 80 games, when healthy.. we knew he was more of an assists guy, which is rough for him here

Watched the game late on delay.  For the most part it sucked but the one bright spot is that you can really see Zacha gaining confidence.  The assist was an excellent pass and the play he made on the Henrique goal is not something I think we would have seen out of him before the new year.  I think he would have made a "safer" play instead of challenging the defender and taking the puck behind the net.   If he continues to progress and play the kind of hockey that he has the last two weeks for the rest of the season, it will be a successful season for him.  From the day the devils drafted him we knew he was a little further behind in the development curve than other guys drafted around him but man, all the tools are there.   

• Like 2

For all of the people that were calling for Hynes' head, and if they still are, I'm not in that group, at least not yet.  Not after the last few games.   There was talk from people, myself included, about possibly giving Kinkaid some starts over Cory since he seemed to be playing well and people were starting to doubt Schneider, whether it was age, effort, or just a slump.  Hynes responded and has given Kinkaid the opportunity over the past few games.  Granted one or two may have been from Cory being sick, but the fact remains, Kinkaid got the nod, and we didn't see any huge improvement.  Not saying any of it was Kinkaid's fault, because I think he did play well, but it just goes to show that goaltending, for the most part, wasn't and isn't one of our bigger problems, at least not one that needs immediate attention.  It still may be true that we see Schneider's final good remaining years come and go without giving him a great shot at the playoffs and a Cup, but I think the quicker turnaround would be to fix and continue to improve the pieces in front of him.  To trade him and look for a replacement would take longer, I think, than continuing to go through the draft and free agency like we have been doing.  We have a few good pieces, we just need to get lucky and make a few more smart acquisitions/selections that develop into something good.  It may seem like odd logic, because when you think about it anyone would probably say "isn't it easier to find ONE great player (a goalie), rather than 4-8 great players (a mix of forwards and defensemen)? But if you think about it, that answer is no, because it's pretty hard to find a great goalie.  We were fortunate to draft a guy 27 years ago that had potential and ended up reaching that potential, and much, much more.  A goalie is similar in value and importance to a QB in the NFL.  It's rare, and when you have it, it's usually best to hold onto it.  Not saying Schneider is HoF worthy, but I think he's dependable starter who, more often than night, gives you a chance to win.  For me, the talk and discussion about trading him is basically gone.   I'll still be mad and frustrated with him if he has off nights and plays poorly, just like I would with anyone else, but at this point moving forward I know getting rid of him isn't the best solution.  If we can manage to land a good free agent in the off-season, and a good draft pick as well, we should be in a better position to make the playoffs next year I think.  Lots of other things need to happen, (Merrill continuing to play well, Santini improving and getting better, Severson not regressing again, Henrique and Palms getting back to somewhat more normal numbers, etc), but none of that is unreasonable.

1 hour ago, EdgeControl said:

we need to be honest with him, he's a 20-25 goal scorer over 80 games, when healthy.. we knew he was more of an assists guy, which is rough for him here

For his career he's at 28 goals per 82 GP.  I think he's better than 20-25.  Should be able to flirt with 30.  But he does need help...he's not the kind of guy who's stubbornly going to get his numbers regardless of who he's on the ice with. 

Re:  Henrique and Palms, Palms' SOG-per-game are well down (from 2.7 to 2.0), and that's a bit concerning considering that he was around 2.0 in his final two seasons with Anaheim, despite getting much less time than he's currently getting.  He's on pace for 48 points over 82 games, which is probably a reasonable norm to expect from Palms going forward...somewhere around 50 points per 82.  Probably the same for Henrique, at best (his career avg is about 46 points per 82 games), and keep in mind that Henrique has yet to average so much as 2 SOG-per-game for any season to date (does have a pretty high S% though).  Maybe these guys will see some minor improvements next season, but they could very well repeat these seasons next year. 

53 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Palms looked awful from what I saw, and other than the assist so did Cammy. Idk, maybe it looked different on TV. Also, I have to say, I'm wearing my new socks today that they gave away last night and I LIKE THEM. 

Palms, Cammy and Hall were constantly missing the net when I was watching it on TV.  I think I read that Cammy has 1 goal in his last 23 games now.  I really hope we can somehow unload him at the deadline or this summer for a team looking to reach the cap floor.

I like Zacha and JJ together and for the 3rd straight game I think they were the best line on the ice overall for us.