Jump to content

Did you guys hear the morons on the midday show on WFAN?


njbuff
 Share

Recommended Posts

I think it was Tuesday when they were discussing the Islanders situation.

Then they decided to throw it out there that the Devils should lose their team, not the Islanders.

First of all, why would the even bring the Devils into the argument when the Devils have absolutely nothing to do with the Islanders situation.

I guess it was more the Jet loser Benigno saying this but, it really pissed me off how they took a dig at the Devils for no reason whatsoever just to push their Islanders argument.

The Islanders are the ones with the massive arena issue, not the Devils.

Again, did anyone else hear this and make you angry like it did me?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I heard about it and frankly I don't care.  Those two losers don't know jack about hockey so whatever they say should be taken with a grain of salt.  They throw that out there simply because the Devils are right in the NY metro area that doesn't have New York in their name, so it is easy for them to write them off.

These guys also don't care about the Rangers or Islanders either and only care when one of them is in the playoffs.  Even then they barely talk about then unless they start getting to rounds 2-4.  They are followed by Mike Francesca who has come out and said before that he doesn't like and care about hockey.  That's fine by me as this is the same guy who made a fool out of himself during the World Cup in 2014 when he asked a former US coach if soccer players are allowed to kick with either foot or just with one foot.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

I heard about it and frankly I don't care.  Those two losers don't know jack about hockey so whatever they say should be taken with a grain of salt.  They throw that out there simply because the Devils are right in the NY metro area that doesn't have New York in their name, so it is easy for them to write them off.

These guys also don't care about the Rangers or Islanders either and only care when one of them is in the playoffs.  Even then they barely talk about then unless they start getting to rounds 2-4.  They are followed by Mike Francesca who has come out and said before that he doesn't like and care about hockey.  That's fine by me as this is the same guy who made a fool out of himself during the World Cup in 2014 when he asked a former US coach if soccer players are allowed to kick with either foot or just with one foot.

I actually don't mind listening to those two, especially since they talk about the Mets.

I'm with you, in that I don't care about what they said about the Devils.  Joe is actually a big Rangers fan, and he's been begrudgingly respectful of the Devils (especially when they were winning) in the past.  It's not like his "Devils should be the team to leave" opinion was based on months of research either.  He simply threw something out there, like many people will, and it has no chance of happening, so why would anyone let that bother them?  

13 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

I didn't hear it, but I'm not surprised. Especially from that dipsh!t Benigno, who's a jealous-ass Rags fan from Jersey who I'm sure deep down in his heart regrets the fact that he's not a Devils fan.

If it was 2003, sure.  Definitely not so much at the moment.  Really hope that they don't win a Cup during this window (and it's looking like their best chances came and went).  The windows are a lot less memorable when they don't result in championships.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I remember a few years ago when some Rangers fan called Joe and Evan making fun of both Isles and Devils attendance and what not.  Evan told the guy that the Devils were the most successful team in the area at the time and that when it comes to winning and losing "the Devils have owned you."  

Like both Joe and Evan.  Will be happy when they take over for Francessa, which looks like is what will happen.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

They are followed by Mike Francesca who has come out and said before that he doesn't like and care about hockey.  That's fine by me as this is the same guy who made a fool out of himself during the World Cup in 2014 when he asked a former US coach if soccer players are allowed to kick with either foot or just with one foot.

I had never heard this one before, that is.... just.... wow.

Anyway, in general 24 hour sports has the same problem as 24 hour news, there's really not enough to talk about to fill the airtime, so it's repetitive and people just say whatever will cause the most people to tune in. I don't have a problem listening to any wfan host for a short period but even as a Mets fan I can only take so much Mets talk in a single day.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I like those two guys. 

Years ago when Benigno was on overnight, I happened to be listening to him. He was going on about the teams he liked and basically said that if any local team not his own was vying for a Championship, he roots for them.................EXCEPT the Devils.........lol

I didn't like him for years after that, but he wore me down and I think he's alright

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I like those two guys. 

Years ago when Benigno was on overnight, I happened to be listening to him. He was going on about the teams he liked and basically said that if any local team not his own was vying for a Championship, he roots for them.................EXCEPT the Devils.........lol

I didn't like him for years after that, but he wore me down and I think he's alright

I'll never forget during game 1 against the Rags back in 2006 we were kicking their ass after the first period; I'm sitting in the second to last row of my section in the upper bowl and Benigno comes walking up behind the last row to go down to the concourse looking pissed (this is after he talked copious amounts of sh!t on the air that the Rags would win the series). I look right at him and yell 'HEY JOE, HAVING FUN?!' I then cackled at him mockingly as he shot me one of the dirtiest looks anyone's ever shot me. I was looking for him after the second so I could mock him some more, but he didn't show his face again. [emoji23]

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

I'll never forget during game 1 against the Rags back in 2006 we were kicking their ass after the first period; I'm sitting in the second to last row of my section in the upper bowl and Benigno comes walking up behind the last row to go down to the concourse looking pissed (this is after he talked copious amounts of sh!t on the air that the Rags would win the series). I look right at him and yell 'HEY JOE, HAVING FUN?!' I then cackled at him mockingly as he shot me one of the dirtiest looks anyone's ever shot me. I was looking for him after the second so I could mock him some more, but he didn't show his face again. emoji23.png

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shows you how dumb Mr. "hey bro" is when it comes to hockey.  Anyone with a brain knew the Devils were the better team and were red hot going into that series, while the Rags lost something like their last 5 games to give the Devils the division title and home ice advantage.  As a Rags fan, you had to be an absolute moron to talk serious trash and be overconfident going in there.  Glad he got what he deserved.  

I just don't like him or that show.  The fact that he has a job on the radio is amazing to me. However, I will take him over Steve "monotone" Sommers any day of the week.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

With all the music options and podcast options we have on phones now I'm amazed anyone even listens to regular radio anymore.

Well it's funny you say that because for me listening to WFAN isn't really regular radio since I don't live in the area anymore, and it feels like a podcast or internet radio.  (Essentially it is, because I use the Radio.com app on my phone).

In regards to your question though with options for music and podcasts, two things still stand in the way -- signal issues, and data issues.  Sometimes depending where you are it can still be tough to get a signal to stream things, and there's also the cost factor.  I forget this often because I have unlimited data as my phone is still on my work's plan and everything's covered, but it's still an issue for most people who have to pay their own bill.  It's probably going to get easier as competitions continues to be fierce in that industry, but I don't see data caps and the current pricing model for speed and bandwidth changing a ton right away.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, Chuck the Duck said:

Shows you how dumb Mr. "hey bro" is when it comes to hockey.  Anyone with a brain knew the Devils were the better team and were red hot going into that series, while the Rags lost something like their last 5 games to give the Devils the division title and home ice advantage.  As a Rags fan, you had to be an absolute moron to talk serious trash and be overconfident going in there.  Glad he got what he deserved.  

I just don't like him or that show.  The fact that he has a job on the radio is amazing to me. However, I will take him over Steve "monotone" Sommers any day of the week.

For these reasons and that the Devils were so much more battle tested than the Rangers at that point in time, I have no idea how you could be expecting the Rangers to win. That maybe was the most confident I have ever been going into a series that the Devils were winning, probably would have bet my house on it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

One of the few advantages of not living in New Jersey is not having to listen to WFAN. I called up once when Steve Sommer said the Devils should move; my argument wasn't as eloquent as I would've liked, I'd love to run into him somewhere and berate him into the grave where he belongs. They're all morons on that station, but you wouldn't expect anything different. They have to pander to the brain-dead mouth-breathers known as New York sports fans.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

One of the few advantages of not living in New Jersey is not having to listen to WFAN. I called up once when Steve Sommer said the Devils should move; my argument wasn't as eloquent as I would've liked, I'd love to run into him somewhere and berate him into the grave where he belongs. They're all morons on that station, but you wouldn't expect anything different. They have to pander to the brain-dead mouth-breathers known as New York sports fans.

To be fair, I've met Sommers and he's a very good guy. That's a schtick that he does with the Devils and the Islanders. I've actually talked hockey with Sommers and he always respected the Devils, especially Lou and Marty. If you heard Sommers make a comment like that, it was likely in jest.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:


Yeah that's another thing. Benigno's schtick is tired. You can almost predict what comes out of his mouth before he says it. He's a tool.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same thing with Francesa, but in fairness he repeats everything he says 3 times so you probably heard him say it already. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.