Jump to content

Elias on radio, Devils broadcast.


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

They should retire his number on St. Patrick's Day next season. 

The Devils must sign him by March 1 if he is to play this season.  He indicated that possibly the heart wasn't there for him to come back. I always like Elias and wish him the best with what

Man I hope he sticks around with the organization after he retires from playing.

Can't wait for his jersey retirement night. He'll probably be the only forward to have his jersey retired for us for a very long time. 

That being said, I wouldn't mind if he wanted to lace them up for a few games one more time. We're not going anywhere this year so it's not like him taking up a roster spot from a young guy is going to hurt us. 

I also really hope he stays with us after he retires as some kind of coach. Seems like he really enjoys just being around the rink.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Jerzey said:

Can't wait for his jersey retirement night. He'll probably be the only forward to have his jersey retired for us for a very long time. 

That being said, I wouldn't mind if he wanted to lace them up for a few games one more time. We're not going anywhere this year so it's not like him taking up a roster spot from a young guy is going to hurt us. 

I also really hope he stays with us after he retires as some kind of coach. Seems like he really enjoys just being around the rink.

My daughter asked me at the game last night why I think defense is so important (I coach her soccer team and that's my philosophy). I pointed to the retired numbers and told her how we won 3 Stanley Cups; defenseman, defenseman, defenseman, goalie. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

My daughter asked me at the game last night why I think defense is so important (I coach her soccer team and that's my philosophy). I pointed to the retired numbers and told her how we won 3 Stanley Cups; defenseman, defenseman, defenseman, goalie. 

If you like defense at least you are coaching the right sport.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Antiquated Colorado Rockie said:

If you like defense at least you are coaching the right sport.

 

5 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

My daughter asked me at the game last night why I think defense is so important (I coach her soccer team and that's my philosophy). I pointed to the retired numbers and told her how we won 3 Stanley Cups; defenseman, defenseman, defenseman, goalie. 

NO NO NO, possession first! Defense falls in if you preach a structured game. Soccer isn't hockey in the way that good teams end up defending much less. You can't control the game from the back in soccer like you can on the ice.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, thecoffeecake said:

 

NO NO NO, possession first! Defense falls in if you preach a structured game. Soccer isn't hockey in the way that good teams end up defending much less. You can't control the game from the back in soccer like you can on the ice.

I should add my offense is horrible despite 4 years of effort. They still refuse to pass, opting instead to run into the other team's defenders and lose the ball. 

First practice of the Spring in about 3 weeks, possession/passing is where I'm starting. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I should add my offense is horrible despite 4 years of effort. They still refuse to pass, opting instead to run into the other team's defenders and lose the ball. 

First practice of the Spring in about 3 weeks, possession/passing is where I'm starting. p prob

 

42 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I should add my offense is horrible despite 4 years of effort. They still refuse to pass, opting instead to run into the other team's defenders and lose the ball. 

First practice of the Spring in about 3 weeks, possession/passing is where I'm starting. 

I can't remember but I think your daughter is 10. My grandkids are on different Town traveling teams and when they were 10 on traveling teams it was the same Problem you are Speaking about.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Man I hope he sticks around with the organization after he retires from playing.

For sure. Dano is the only connection to the Cup teams left in the organization isn't he? I'd love to see them find something for Patty. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

For sure. Dano is the only connection to the Cup teams left in the organization isn't he? I'd love to see them find something for Patty. 

Brylin is Assistant Coach with Albany, but in terms of the main team, yeah its just Dano. Would love to see Elias in a coaching or management position someday,

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

With the Fiddler trade [admittedly I just found out about it today], I wonder if Patty wants to come back, do we give him his send-off.

Yes, priority would/should be youth experience, but hell, its Patty and if we're out of it, why not give him a few last games if he wants it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, jagknife said:

With the Fiddler trade [admittedly I just found out about it today], I wonder if Patty wants to come back, do we give him his send-off.

Yes, priority would/should be youth experience, but hell, its Patty and if we're out of it, why not give him a few last games if he wants it.

Sounds like he doesn't want to play just for the sake of playing. Which is admirable. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I gotta be honest, I wanted to see Elias come back because even though he was back last year for a few games and the final game ended in possibly the best way it could have with him scoring, I thought it was too short, and I wanted him to get more time.   

However, I can't help but think at the current time, how he could possibly feel connected to the team still and even regain chemistry with some guys.  Who is on the team that he's really played with?  Who would be his buddies and guys he could enjoy the time playing and traveling with?  I can really only think of Zajac/Henrique/Greene.  Not saying it really matters, I mean obviously guys get traded or drafted and join teams all the time without knowing anyone, I'm just saying given what he's been through, having to come back from a few tough injuries, seeing the landscape of the team change over the past couple of years, him now being on the other side of 40, etc etc....all of that from a mental and emotional standpoint probably makes it even tougher for him to get back on the ice, as opposed to if he was 32 years old, still had other guys on the team that he was close with, and so forth.

Whatever happens though, I'll be OK with.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/6/2017 at 10:01 AM, NJDfan1711 said:

.. how he could possibly feel connected to the team still and even regain chemistry with some guys.  Who is on the team that he's really played with?  Who would be his buddies and guys he could enjoy the time playing and traveling with?  

how could he ever top that last game & his final shift ?? !!

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, BlueSkirt said:

how could he ever top that last game & his final shift ?? !!

Yeah, that would definitely be hard to top, but I still think it was kinda crappy because it didn't feel like his last game.  I think we, and he, deserve to get to watch him play more, but I guess the question is does he have anything left.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Earlier this year I really wanted Elias to come back even if it was just for a dozen games.  However, it looks more and more likely that will never happen and I am coming to terms with that fact and accepting it.  If he did come back I don't and never have expected him to really do much, but would be fun just to hear his name called again during play in a game.  Right now though, I think he should just have a nice little press conference between now and the end of the summer to announce his retirement.  He gave us over 1200+ games of good to superb hockey and all in a Devils sweater.  He will be the last banner to be raised for a long time and he would only be 1 of 2 players of the 5 banners to played all of his games in a Devils sweater.

Link to post
Share on other sites

You mean we can't start talking about the Zacha banner raising yet?  

Elias is my favorite player ever but I've also come to accept he is at the end of the line and almost hope that the last minute goal against the Leafs in the last game of the season was the final send off.  <--- What a fun night that was between the Elias goal, Zacha excelling in his first pro game and Palmieri + Henrique both hitting 30 goals for the year.       

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Sign him before March 1, 2017 for one day. Let him touch the ice for 30 seconds and then have a send off for him. Offer him a coaching job with  the big team, let's see what happens. We as fans owe it to him to be positive and go crazy with a send off. Do you agree?

 

Go Elias

Edited by BostonNala370
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BostonNala370 said:

Sign him before March 1, 2017 for one day. Let him touch the ice for 30 seconds and then have a send off for him. Offer him a coaching job with  the big team, let's see what happens. We as fans owe it to him to be positive and go crazy with a send off. Do you agree?

 

Go Elias

I don't think there's a reason for it. Just do it when they retire his jersey, which should be immediately. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, BostonNala370 said:

Good thought if they retire his shirt immediately this season. 

If he were to announce by March 1, I would think there's enough time to get it in before the end of the season. But if not, October/November at the latest.

 

Its not like they have to build him a statue...

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.