Jump to content

Elias on radio, Devils broadcast.


BostonNala370
 Share

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Looking that way. At this point, I say bring him back, let him do whatever he can do and then let him have his moment on the ice at the last home game. 

Last years moment on the ice will be hard to top with him scoring with like 16 seconds to go in the game. Personally I'm fine with him retiring at this point. Can't wait for his retirement ceremony. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Last years moment on the ice will be hard to top with him scoring with like 16 seconds to go in the game. Personally I'm fine with him retiring at this point. Can't wait for his retirement ceremony. 

If that's how it goes, I'm fine with it too. But if he were well enough to go, and he wanted to, that'd be fine also.

Edited by mfitz804
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

I don't know what that means. But it's true. 

BN posted on here for years under the name LucifersDog until he was permabanned for threatening my fiancé multiple times in an alarmingly disturbing way. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

BN posted on here for years under the name LucifersDog until he was permabanned for threatening my fiancé multiple times in an alarmingly disturbing way. 

What??? That's ridiculous, how is he allowed to just come back with a different name??

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

I swear, five tough years and you see the character of some people in this fanbase. It fvcking disgusts me. Go put your fvcking Ranger and Bruin jerseys on and fvck off.

You could definitely see this coming though.  A lot of entitled Devils fans continued to bitch and bitch and bitch some more about how Lou couldn't somehow keep the already incredibly long run of success going even longer.  Sure, he made some iffy moves and decisions and applied one too many Band-Aids as his time here wound down, but no GM can make the right moves all of the time, and not all players can be replaced...we were so lucky to see the very memorable and special players who helped the Devils win championships...and none of those guys just fall out of the sky. 

It was obvious that actual bad Devils teams were going to be way too much for some to handle.  Not saying that fans should just accept losing of course, and this team is definitely not a fun watch at the moment, but at the same time, it's pretty weak to just flat-out bail during a valley.  And we've seen valleys MUCH worse than the one the Devils are in at the moment. 

16 hours ago, BostonNala370 said:

For me his retirement because of injury is sad. He and Claude were my favorites. Devils don't screw up his retirement and  retirement of his number and respecting him with a terrific send off. I hope he gets a job with the Devils. 

 

16 hours ago, BostonNala370 said:

With Elias gone I feel like an era of the NJ Devils and myself are over. I enjoyed the Devils win of 1995, 2000, and 2003 but we have sucked since than because of many reasons. I wonder if Elias being done it means I am done with the Devils. For me its has been a great 34 year run. I am from Boston might be time to go back to the Bruins I was following a NJ team since I live in NJ.

 

Man, both of these quotes are a joke.  For one, EVERY Devils jersey retirement ceremony has been nothing but first-class, all the way...if anything, I'd say Brodeur's retirement took it up another notch...the Devils couldn't have possibly done a better job with that event.  The only ceremony that was a bit of a trainwreck was Ken Daneyko Day, but that was a long time ago, and you won't ever see anything like that again. 

If you want to lament the end of an era, that's one thing...to me Elias was indeed the last symbolic piece of one amazing run, and yeah, it sucks in that it's the final and strongest reminder that the Lamoriello & Co New Jersey Devils are gone forever...every now and then I go on youtube to watch old highlights, and I see all of the terrific names that I almost used to take for granted, and I do miss those days...I think a lot of Devils fans do...how could you not?  Even though some didn't like the Devils' style of play, EVERYONE respected them for the way they were run, and for their year-in-and-year-out success.  It's not fun to watch a team that once boasted as air-tight of a defense as you could ever hope for now sporting zilches like Lovejoy, Quincey, and Moore...and I can get downgrading your emotional involvement during a valley, as getting pissed at a team that isn't good for not playing well can become a vicious cycle of pointlessness (though I can't help myself).  But to just walk away and say "Oh well, I'll just switch to another team?"  I give the Jets fans here like Has, 7, and Beez a lot of credit and respect them a lot, because those guys are all-in, all the time, and their team curb-stomps their hearts seemingly every year (even when they're pretty good).  Ditto MD2020, who sticks by his Dolphins no matter what.  If those teams ever find a way to win a championship, these guys will love and appreciate every last second of it. 

Anyway, like others have said...you wanna bail now, I don't think anyone here is going to be shedding many tears.  If anything, maybe you can finally admit that you're LD on your way out?

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Man, I am not even going to comment on that statement.  Everyone has hit the nail on the head with their feelings and opinions on it already, mine won't be any different.

In regards to Elias though, it's going to be pretty sad and emotional if he hangs them up and announces his retirement here shortly.  Maybe he'll do it on my birthday on Thursday.  That would be kind of neat.  For various reasons I've had to say goodbye to some things in my life in the last year or so, and I don't really feel like celebrating, so I might as well say goodbye to Elias on that day too.  Whatever happens, him calling it quits, or him coming back for a short stint, I think we're all OK with it.  He's earned and deserves it.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not sure if I said this already, but I was thinking about this a week or two ago...how cool would it be if Elias came back on St. Patty's day, and just played through the end of the season?  We play the Penguins on the road that day.  If they let us wear our green road jerseys, could be one last time he gets to wear them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Speaking to a Devils employee at the Rock last night, he seemed convinced that once we have been mathematically eliminated, Patrick Elias will be signed to finish out the season.

Whether this was based on actual information, I have no clue. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Speaking to a Devils employee at the Rock last night, he seemed convinced that once we have been mathematically eliminated, Patrick Elias will be signed to finish out the season.

Whether this was based on actual information, I have no clue. 

And he'll still finish the season with more goals than JJ, BB, and DSP!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I get the feeling that if Elias does come back, he'll go out there with a completely different mindset...just to have some fun on a truly primal scale, on a team that will have nothing to play for.  And who knows, maybe that rubs off on the rest of the team, and they actually have some fun (and even win some games) as their season winds down.  At this point, there's no harm.  And though I never thought I'd say this, I think I'd rather see a brief Elias swan song (even if he has very little left) as opposed to some of the "no real future, but at least they're young" guys we've been seeing lately. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I hope he comes back, and honestly, I hope he has enough left where he's able to play a full season next year too.  I want him to play a complete season and go through the grind one more time.  For that "hope".  It's not looking like in a year's time we will be in a much better spot and competing for any type of playoff spot, but you never know, and I'd much rather at least have him be part of that pipe dream than simply come back for a few games that don't matter.  If that's the only option though, then I do of course hope to see him put the jersey on one more time.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I hope he comes back, and honestly, I hope he has enough left where he's able to play a full season next year too.  I want him to play a complete season and go through the grind one more time.  For that "hope".  It's not looking like in a year's time we will be in a much better spot and competing for any type of playoff spot, but you never know, and I'd much rather at least have him be part of that pipe dream than simply come back for a few games that don't matter.  If that's the only option though, then I do of course hope to see him put the jersey on one more time.  

My issue with him coming back is that his presence (though not overwhelming by itself, the way a Messier-type would be) might hold back other guys from assuming more leadership.  I think that Elias coming back might lead to a bit of an identity crisis with this team...I obviously appreciate the balance of Elias' Devil career and I can't wait to go to his jersey retirement ceremony, as I know it will be every bit as great as Marty's was, but I don't know that having a 41-year-old Elias who may not be capable of playing in the NHL anymore (from both a health AND skill standpoint) would really be the best thing for the 2017-18 and beyond Devils...to me it would feel like they're still stuck in the past.  That being said, I think Elias could possibly help the team, in other ways not related to being an every game player...assuming he'd be interesting in some coaching/consulting.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

My issue with him coming back is that his presence (though not overwhelming by itself, the way a Messier-type would be) might hold back other guys from assuming more leadership.  I think that Elias coming back might lead to a bit of an identity crisis with this team...I obviously appreciate the balance of Elias' Devil career and I can't wait to go to his jersey retirement ceremony, as I know it will be every bit as great as Marty's was, but I don't know that having a 41-year-old Elias who may not be capable of playing in the NHL anymore (from both a health AND skill standpoint) would really be the best thing for the 2017-18 and beyond Devils...to me it would feel like they're still stuck in the past.  That being said, I think Elias could possibly help the team, in other ways not related to being an every game player...assuming he'd be interesting in some coaching/consulting.

I would agree with you, if we weren't talking about him coming back for three weeks. I can't really see how that's going to hold anyone back from assuming a leadership role. If they haven't done it all year, odds are it wasn't going to happen in the last three weeks of a garbage season. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, mfitz804 said:

I would agree with you, if we weren't talking about him coming back for three weeks. I can't really see how that's going to hold anyone back from assuming a leadership role. If they haven't done it all year, odds are it wasn't going to happen in the last three weeks of a garbage season. 

I meant for a full season next year.  I'm fine with this season.  I didn't make that clear in the post that you quoted.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ahhh, I see what you were saying. I'd agree with that. 

I don't think there's much of a chance he plays next year, if he comes back, its to say goodbye on his own terms. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Any news on Elias lately?  I would imagine at this point he's not coming back this year with only a few games remaining.  If I were a betting man I'd probably say it seems likely there will just be some type of anti-climatic retirement announcement at the end of the season which is a little sad and unfortunate, but I wouldn't be opposed to him wanting to come back next year, just to see what he's got.  I'm sure he would have no problem accepting a 2nd/3rd line role, and I really don't think, even with the draft and some young guys continue to develop, that we'd really be holding anyone else back or limiting their chances.  We're just not going to improve that much over the course of one off-season, where we wouldn't have room for a guy like Elias.  As I've said in other threads, I think we could vastly use his leadership and character on and off the ice.  Productivity and performance aside, from a leadership perspective I don't see anyone else, even a guy like Greene who is our current captain, stepping up and providing the same level of authority and wisdom as he would.  Not that I'm suggesting make him Captain if he were to return, but his presence and knowledge would be something I think this team could still benefit from, even if only for a year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have a theory that they're working up to the number retirement announcement. They did a pair of retired number players posters this weekend. There's four more home games left, but the Jets one is a makeup from earlier, so that'll just be the poster it was supposed to be two weeks ago.

I think in those last three games we'll see another set of posters, featuring Dano, Stevens, and then Elias for the home closer, where they announce his retirement and number retirement next season.

Just to be clear, I have zero actual information. It just strikes me as weird that they did the posters the way they did this weekend and assume there's gotta be at least two more like that, and with three games (besides tomorrow) remaining, why not?

Edited by thelastonealive
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, thelastonealive said:

I have a theory that they're working up to the number retirement announcement. They did a pair of retired number players posters this weekend. There's four more home games left, but the Jets one is a makeup from earlier, so that'll just be the poster it was supposed to be two weeks ago.

I think in those last three games we'll see another set of posters, featuring Dano, Stevens, and then Elias for the home closer, where they announce his retirement and number retirement next season.

Just to be clear, I have zero actual information. It just strikes me as weird that they did the posters the way they did this weekend and assume there's gotta be at least two more like that, and with three games (besides tomorrow) remaining, why not?

That's an interesting theory for sure.  The two posters from this weekend seemed to only go together and really not leaving anything for a 3rd and 4th to join it, but who knows what the Devils do.  They could have Dano and Stevens for a joint poster and then the last game have Elias by himself.

Regardless I am buying a ticket or two the instant they announce the retirement game.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Any news on Elias lately?  I would imagine at this point he's not coming back this year with only a few games remaining.  If I were a betting man I'd probably say it seems likely there will just be some type of anti-climatic retirement announcement at the end of the season which is a little sad and unfortunate, but I wouldn't be opposed to him wanting to come back next year, just to see what he's got.  I'm sure he would have no problem accepting a 2nd/3rd line role, and I really don't think, even with the draft and some young guys continue to develop, that we'd really be holding anyone else back or limiting their chances.  We're just not going to improve that much over the course of one off-season, where we wouldn't have room for a guy like Elias.  As I've said in other threads, I think we could vastly use his leadership and character on and off the ice.  Productivity and performance aside, from a leadership perspective I don't see anyone else, even a guy like Greene who is our current captain, stepping up and providing the same level of authority and wisdom as he would.  Not that I'm suggesting make him Captain if he were to return, but his presence and knowledge would be something I think this team could still benefit from, even if only for a year.

He's missed an entire season and will be 41 at the start of next season.  He's played 16 games since the end of 2014-15 (and was clearly in decline in 2014-15).  I think you could definitely find a role for him as a non-player (if he's really interested in that), as a guy who can help out in practices and such, but I just don't think he'll ever be physically up to playing in the NHL again. 

Elias' time as a player should be done.  Nothing against him in the slightest, he had one hell of a career here, but I just don't see him being able to turn back the clock far enough to help as an NHLer. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On Saturday, February 04, 2017 at 9:36 AM, BostonNala370 said:

The Devils must sign him by March 1 if he is to play this season. 

He indicated that possibly the heart wasn't there for him to come back.

I always like Elias and wish him the best with whatever decision he makes.

 

I hope he becomes a coach some day, especially with this team. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.