2017 NHL Trade Deadline Thread

Devilsfan118

So with the trade deadline rapidly approaching on 3/1 it might make sense to start speculating on what the Devils should and will do.

There are some big names out there that are rumored to be moved, namely Duchene and Shattenkirk..  I'd kill to get either of them here but I think the cost would be prohibitive.  I'd entertain moving our 1st for one of them - my thinking being that the Devils will not finish bottom-5.

I'm personally a big believer in selling off minor assets if getting one of the two guys above isn't possible as I don't see this team making a strong enough push down the line.  I think the standings are deceptively close right now.. as of this post, the Devils need to hop over four teams for the last Wildcard spot.  Odds of making the playoffs stand at 3% (as of this posting on 2/15) and to have a decent shot of making it to the show they'd probably need to finish with at least 16 or 17 regulation wins out of the last 26 games which seems like a long shot.

List of UFA/RFA players: Link.  

Standings: Link

Odds of making the playoffs: Link

Schedule breakdown: Link

Edit:  List of deadline trades here: Link

Edited by Devilsfan118

Wouldn't you more expect guys like Duchene and Shattenkirk to be traded to a contender? We aren't in a buyer's position, and what would be the point of trading for guys on expiring deals (Shattenkirk's is anyway, don't know about Duchene) when we aren't going anywhere?

Well Duchene is signed for another two years, so you'd at least control him for that long and hopefully negotiation an extension before he hits UFA.

Shattenkirk on the other hand, I agree with @CommonDreads that it'd have to be a sign and trade situation.  Would absolutely not give up anything for Shattenkirk if he wouldn't agree to an extension beforehand.

My thought process is our 1st round pick this year, in a weak draft, probably won't pan out for at least 3 years (probably more).  By that time, Cory's probably out of his prime and who knows what the rest of our core is doing.  Acquiring a young 'star' caliber player keeps fans engaged, and helps keeps players like Hall from fleeing NJ as a UFA.

Edited by Devilsfan118
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Well Duchene is signed for another two years, so you'd at least control him for that long and hopefully negotiation an extension before he hits UFA.

Shattenkirk on the other hand, I agree with @CommonDreads that it'd have to be a sign and trade situation.  Would absolutely not give up anything for Shattenkirk if he wouldn't agree to an extension beforehand.

My thought process is our 1st round pick this year, in a weak draft, probably won't pan out for at least 3 years (probably more).  By that time, Cory's probably out of his prime and who knows what the rest of our core is doing.  Acquiring a young 'star' caliber player keeps fans engaged, and helps keeps players like Hall from fleeing NJ as a UFA.

You are 100% correct on that logic. As it stands, I can't see a guy like Hall re-signing. He'll be 28 and he'll want to go somewhere that he can compete for a Cup, and he'll have sufficient offers to do so. 

I would love Shattenkirk, but not sure that's feasible.  Only other guy I would really like is Oshie.  Not much else out there with guys south of 30 years old.

I think, given where we are in the standings and kinda in that "no man's land" area, we will probably be pretty quiet, with Shero maybe trying to land another Palmieri-type guy for cheap, but unless something like that falls to us pretty easily, I don't see him reaching for a star player, and I don't see him having a fire sale either.

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

Wouldn't you more expect guys like Duchene and Shattenkirk to be traded to a contender? We aren't in a buyer's position, and what would be the point of trading for guys on expiring deals (Shattenkirk's is anyway, don't know about Duchene) when we aren't going anywhere?

You could make the argument that we're one good d-man or forward away from being a pretty easy playoff lock, at least for something like the 8th seed.  

We're not far away from it now, so I think if we had someone like Duchene, we're most likely in and competing.

I'd expect us to be "sellers" in the sense that we'll be trying to move UFA's like Quincey, PAP, hopefully even DSP for draft picks. I don't really think that would affect our chances of making a miracle playoff run one way or the other though. Last year, with Cammy playing some of the best hockey he'd been playing in years then going down, followed by trading Stempniak, we knew we were throwing in the towel. I really don't think trading a PAP or a Quincey would negatively affect our longshot chances for this season though. 

Whatever happens, I am excited to see if Ray can acquire a few more picks for our arsenal. We're going to be going into this offseason as maybe one of the best prepared teams for this expansion draft and the entry draft in terms of cap space and amount of movable assets (picks). I hate saying "I can't wait for the offseason!" because I don't want hockey to be over with for THIS season but I'd be lying if I didn't admit I'm super excited to see what our FO does this summer.

Acquiring more picks for weak a draft? I know most teams make moves to boost themselves into playoff picture, and playoffs advancing.

. I look at us making a move for the future. (Landeskog/Duchene etc)  Would love Shattenkirk, but I doubt we're in the script.  Many teams (unlike us) have the chips to make the trade, but not the cap space.

27 minutes ago, coldply123 said:

Sheri isn't trading the pick for a pipe dream sign and trade. It's going to be a Top 8 pick.  Any talk otherwise is ludicrous.

In reality, you're probably right.

But what if a top-8 pick gets you Shattenkirk on an extension?  I mean we traded a 6th for Cory and that has, for the most part, worked out very well for us.

This draft is apparently weak as sh!t, I'm not sure a top-8 or even top-5 pick gets you a game changer.

47 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

In reality, you're probably right.

But what if a top-8 pick gets you Shattenkirk on an extension?  I mean we traded a 6th for Cory and that has, for the most part, worked out very well for us.

This draft is apparently weak as sh!t, I'm not sure a top-8 or even top-5 pick gets you a game changer.

That was actually the 9th overall, not 6th. When we had the sixth overall we took Zacha.

Regardless, I'd hate to trade this years pick. If we could get something good for a first, I'd rather it be next years since I anticipate they'll be more competitive that year. I'd also anticipate that type of a deal going down in the offseason. Really feel like most things going down at the deadline will just be rentals for picks.

2 hours ago, Steven M. said:

I'd expect us to be "sellers" in the sense that we'll be trying to move UFA's like Quincey, PAP, hopefully even DSP for draft picks. I don't really think that would affect our chances of making a miracle playoff run one way or the other though. Last year, with Cammy playing some of the best hockey he'd been playing in years then going down, followed by trading Stempniak, we knew we were throwing in the towel. I really don't think trading a PAP or a Quincey would negatively affect our longshot chances for this season though. 

Whatever happens, I am excited to see if Ray can acquire a few more picks for our arsenal. We're going to be going into this offseason as maybe one of the best prepared teams for this expansion draft and the entry draft in terms of cap space and amount of movable assets (picks). I hate saying "I can't wait for the offseason!" because I don't want hockey to be over with for THIS season but I'd be lying if I didn't admit I'm super excited to see what our FO does this summer.

Agree, we will probably be soft sellers, there are just too many teams to climb over and too many reasons why we are behind all of those teams to begin with. There will be way more buyers than sellers so I expect we can get good value. Getting a 4th for Vernon Fiddler illustrates that.

Also agree on the offseason. I have heard speculation/report that Shattenkirk wants to sign for the Rangers. If that is true I nothing short of expect an aggressive pitch for him from ownership/Shero and if ownership isn't prepared to make a big offer with the location, all of that cap space and a glaring need I will be concerned with ownerships commitment. If they don't get him they don't get him but I expect them to aggressively try, I'm tired of playing tee-ball on July 1 when we have tons of cap space. Would also like to see another Palmeri style trade, hopefully Ray can make that happen.   

1 hour ago, Steven M. said:

Regardless, I'd hate to trade this years pick. If we could get something good for a first, I'd rather it be next years since I anticipate they'll be more competitive that year. I'd also anticipate that type of a deal going down in the offseason. Really feel like most things going down at the deadline will just be rentals for picks.

Depends on the return. If the draft is really as sh!tty as advertised this year, it may not be a bad idea if there's a good return to be had. 

16 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Depends on the return. If the draft is really as sh!tty as advertised this year, it may not be a bad idea if there's a good return to be had. 

I think everyone is a little misled on the draft. It doesn't necessarily sound like it's going to be sh!tty, just that there is a lack of the generational talents that have seemingly been coming from every single draft lately. The McDavid's, Eichel's, Matthew's, and Laine's etc... I think any time you are looking like having a top 5-10 pick you should probably hang on to it. I'm not going to claim we'll definitely make the playoffs next year, but it wouldn't surprise me if they were looking more at being in the 10-20 range than the 5-10 range.

6 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

So St. Louis has apparently had scouts at our last few games, including last night... rumors starting to build.

Tarasenko for Quincey and Lovejoy! Make it happen Ray!

In all seriousness, I wonder who they'd be willing to part with and for what. We've had to inquire about Shattenkirk but I just don't see us being a fit assets wise.

10 minutes ago, jagknife said:

Tarasenko for Quincey and Lovejoy! Make it happen Ray!

In all seriousness, I wonder who they'd be willing to part with and for what. We've had to inquire about Shattenkirk but I just don't see us being a fit assets wise.

Throw in JJ, and we also get Shattenkirk. Done deal. 

On 2/15/2017 at 5:04 PM, '7' said:

One thing is for sure, the Rangers will trade overrated drech and low draft picks for a very good player who will immediately say he only wanted to come to the Rangers to fulfill some lifelong dream.

Who? The rest of the post I don't get. They don't have enough cap space to make a significant move. I expect maybe a small trade for depth. Whether it be a depth defenseman or physical winger. One or the other would be okay,

For all the talks of sign and trade deals, they tend to be very rare in the NHL. It doesn't really make sense for a player to sign an extension with a team he hasn't played for outside of a free agency situation. Especially when free agency is months away for him. He can easily cash in this July. 

• Like 1