2017 NHL Trade Deadline Thread

Devilsfan118

14 minutes ago, Antiquated Colorado Rockie said:

Given the location and cap space I think we got a shot at him in July, as long as ownership is on board. I would be happy if we overpaid and got him, our millions and millions of unused cap space have won us exactly zero games.

I think our cap space now will have us take on some dead weight-expiring deals so someone else can make bigger moves at the deadline. Come summer, we'll have close to $22m in space with 5 RFAs to potentially sign from the current roster.

1 minute ago, 2ELIAS6 said:

this is what cam saying. if people don't want him on this team with what we currently are working with then.. I don't even know what to say. those must be the people that are all about tanking year after year. We need talent period, in the front and the back, its going to be a weaker draft supposedly and the FA market isn't supposed to be a big one this season either. How else would we go about trying to get skill, theres not much you can trade when most of your roster is made up of a lot of spare parts at the moment. we aren't going to trade key guys zajac, palms,  rico etc and other guys such as camm aren't worth a nickel at this point. 

And Cory isn't getting any damn younger, we have a window. Adding Oshie and a good defender [doesn't have to be KS] could get us significantly closer to actually being a factor.

All this, however, I believe will be moot cause I cannot for the life of me see Washington allowing him to walk. It'd be dumb.

35 minutes ago, jagknife said:

And Cory isn't getting any damn younger, we have a window. Adding Oshie and a good defender [doesn't have to be KS] could get us significantly closer to actually being a factor.

All this, however, I believe will be moot cause I cannot for the life of me see Washington allowing him to walk. It'd be dumb.

I agree, and Washington obviously is talented and one of the best teams in the league so I don't know why he would even want to leave to come to a team like ours in its current state. However with the amount of cap space we will have we need to be trying as hard as anyone else to improve ourselves in any way possible. its been 5 years since the 12' run now, I know I'm not the only one getting tired of this same crap season after season. I do believe we have some key pieces up front the obvious few we need to find the forward or two the will push them over that hurdle. as well as finding a way to sharpen the D ...I know easier said than done but they need to improve both ends with at least one meaningful player. enough with the patches on a flat tire clearly its not holding any air.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, njd3b1ink said:

I feel like 6m a year for Shattenkirk is a couple million lower then what he would get at UFA. I think when it's all said and done he's getting paid 7.5-8m a year. I think that's more of a reason he turned down Tampa then anything. Also he's said he wants to be closer to home. I don't think it's necessarily Rangers or bust, I think he realizes he can get more on the open market and have his choosing of which team to go to. 

Probably wants between $6.5 to 7 million on average. So, that could be in the neighborhood of 6 for 42 or 7 for 49 tops. Personally, I don't think he's worth it. Shattenkirk's an excellent offensive defenseman and puck possession player. But I am sketchy on him defensively. Of course, his market value and big season will get him that contract. The idea of giving up assets (top prospect, 1st round pick) doesn't appeal. I wouldn't do it if I were the Rangers. But they have a history parting with that kind of package for Yandle, who worked out okay. But Vigneault misused him on the 3rd pair and 2nd power play unit. I don't know what's up with Duclair. He's not even scoring since he was sent down. Bad year or was last year a fluke? Shattenkirk probably winds up here. He is from the area. Looking at his career statistics, more than half his points have come on the power play. That is a big need for the Rangers. Their power play sucks. They have no true point man. I would wait till the summer. If he wants to sign with them so bad, he can wait.

I have heard they're in on Brendan Smith. Not sure how I feel about that. People like him. He'd come cheaper. Eh.

12 hours ago, jagknife said:

They have to bump up Kuznetsov significantly. He's restricted. Orlov and Schmidt are Group II as is Burakovsky. Justin Williams comes off.along with Daniel Winnik and probably Karl Alzner. I don't see how the Caps can keep Oshie, who will command $6 million plus.

3 hours ago, SMantzas said:

Carolina and Dallas have done well. I'll be happy with a third for PAP and Quincey respectively, but I think a 2nd for KQ isn't unreasonable

Yeah man. Just keep eating up those picks. Like a fat kid with cake. Won't be long until we hit the gym and explode and start posting #TransformationTuesday posts. 

5 hours ago, Derek21 said:

They have to bump up Kuznetsov significantly. He's restricted. Orlov and Schmidt are Group II as is Burakovsky. Justin Williams comes off.along with Daniel Winnik and probably Karl Alzner. I don't see how the Caps can keep Oshie, who will command $6 million plus.

If it came down to it, I'd see them trading Eller entering his contract year in order to keep Oshie

And as if we all should have seen it coming, it's being reported all over that Shattenkirk wants to play for the Rangers even if it has to be at a discount. I actually got my hopes up over this one for fvcks sake. Now I have to go from potentially loving the dude to hating everything about him.

https://mobile.twitter.com/wyshynski/status/835670320333881344?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

Edited by Jerzey

6 minutes ago, Jerzey said:

And as if we all should have seen it coming, it's being reported all over that Shattenkirk wants to play for the Rangers even if it has to be at a discount. I actually got my hopes up over this one for fvcks sake. Now I have to go from potentially loving the dude to hating everything about him.

https://mobile.twitter.com/wyshynski/status/835670320333881344?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

ffs. Not a good sign when guys like Friedman and Bobby Mac are talking about him ending up on the Rangers. And to top it off probably at a cap friendly discount, tired of so many guys and their boner for the Rangers.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Antiquated Colorado Rockie said:

ffs. Not a good sign when guys like Friedman and Bobby Mac are talking about him ending up on the Rangers. And to top it off probably at a cap friendly discount, tired of so many guys and their boner for the Rangers.

It's such a huge advantage that they have. Top UFA's, NTC short lists, even college kids who don't want to play for their drafted team. There's always some a$$hole gm willing to help them out of a bad contract so they can make room for the new shiny free agent.

• Like 2

It's such a huge advantage that they have. Top UFA's, NTC short lists, even college kids who don't want to play for their drafted team. There's always some a$$hole gm willing to help them out of a bad contract so they can make room for the new shiny free agent.

The only thing about playing for them is living in NYC. That's it. Players don't go there to win, because there's no tradition of winning (though they like to pretend there is). That sorry ass franchise has won one Cup in 75 years. You don't go to the Rangers if you want to win Cups. You go there if you're content making the playoffs and never winning championships in a market where no one gives a fvck about hockey so you can cash checks and live in New York and no one will bother you because no one knows who the fvck you actually are. For hockey players, it's Toronto, minus the pressure and the attention of playing in Toronto.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

http://www.ottawasun.com/2017/02/25/senators-gm-burning-up-phone-lines-looking-for-a-deal

This article has the Senators looking at PAP as a possible acquisition given all the injuries they have up front.  Is a 3rd a reasonable ask?  

They've traded the Devils a 3rd round pick twice in the last 2 years, why not make it a 3rd time?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

The only thing about playing for them is living in NYC. That's it. Players don't go there to win, because there's no tradition of winning (though they like to pretend there is). That sorry ass franchise has won one Cup in 75 years. You don't go to the Rangers if you want to win Cups. You go there if you're content making the playoffs and never winning championships in a market where no one gives a fvck about hockey so you can cash checks and live in New York and no one will bother you because no one knows who the fvck you actually are. For hockey players, it's Toronto, minus the pressure and the attention of playing in Toronto.

Gotta totally disagree with you here. Sure they don't have the history of winning as many cups but they've certainly been a much more competitive team than we have for how many years now. Frankly who care about how many banners are hanging when none of them are recent? Our recent history is far less desirable,  in fact we've been mediocre at best.  We don't have nearly the same number of quality players on the roster that they do. Even they're up and coming guys are better,  there's not really any turds on the roster. A few underperforming based on they're contract but for every one of those there's a young guy doing pretty well. There's plenty of reasons why he would want to go there especially if he enjoys the city life which working on Wall Street is something I hate with a passion but some people love it. We need to get over it we'll always be the step child in situations like this. Sure we'll get a FA once in a while but not sure we would ever win one going up against them without drastically over paying.  Take out the history of winning cups and there's not much to lean on here now. The fact that we potentially could get significantly. better if another rounds of moves actually pan out well that's hardly a given. We have more questions that answers and that's with probably over estimating the value of some on our roster. 

Will we become a contender again as some point,  I sure hope so but for now we're a also ran. And a much as the tendency is to call MSG. A sh!t hole,  yay we may have a prettier arena that most nights has plenty of good seats available with not atmosphere for the most part. Love them or hate them when the Rangers are having a good season the place is night and day better. 

Sucks but we've fallen so far behind at this point not just on a given night but over the long haul of the past what 4 plus seasons now.  

Yes it's possible to turn it around,  will they that's yet to be seen and certainly not a given. 

Gotta totally disagree with you here. Sure they don't have the history of winning as many cups but they've certainly been a much more competitive team than we have for how many years now. Frankly who care about how many banners are hanging when none of them are recent? Our recent history is far less desirable,  in fact we've been mediocre at best.  We don't have nearly the same number of quality players on the roster that they do. Even they're up and coming guys are better,  there's not really any turds on the roster. A few underperforming based on they're contract but for every one of those there's a young guy doing pretty well. There's plenty of reasons why he would want to go there especially if he enjoys the city life which working on Wall Street is something I hate with a passion but some people love it. We need to get over it we'll always be the step child in situations like this. Sure we'll get a FA once in a while but not sure we would ever win one going up against them without drastically over paying.  Take out the history of winning cups and there's not much to lean on here now. The fact that we potentially could get significantly. better if another rounds of moves actually pan out well that's hardly a given. We have more questions that answers and that's with probably over estimating the value of some on our roster.   

Will we become a contender again as some point,  I sure hope so but for now we're a also ran. And a much as the tendency is to call MSG. A sh!t hole,  yay we may have a prettier arena that most nights has plenty of good seats available with not atmosphere for the most part. Love them or hate them when the Rangers are having a good season the place is night and day better. 

Sucks but we've fallen so far behind at this point not just on a given night but over the long haul of the past what 4 plus seasons now.  

Yes it's possible to turn it around,  will they that's yet to be seen and certainly not a given. 

I'm so sick and tired of the self-loathing from Devils fans... Some of you have such an inferiority complex about the Rags it's unreal. The Devils have had a rough 5 seasons after 20 years of nothing but success. It happens. We know the situation. They have more fans because they've existed for 750 years and play in the middle of one of the most overrated, arrogant, in-love-with-itself cities on planet earth. We know they're a better team right now, it's fairly obvious- anyone with two eyes knows that. And guess what, in 10 years no one will give a fvck about this era of Rag hockey if they don't actually win something. It's unbelievable... We got a SPECIAL 20-year run and now we're in a valley. That's sports. That's how it goes. It's cyclical. Yet when you listen to some of you, you'd think we haven't made the playoffs in 20 years. You want rough? Go be a Buffalo fan. You want suffering? Go be a Vancouver Canucks fan. Or a Blues fan. Or a Leafs fan. I don't respect the Rags and I don't give a fvck about their recent history. They never win sh!t, and until they do, they can blow me. They can keep their sh!tty history, past, recent, and otherwise. I'd rather be a Devils fan any fvcking day of the week no matter what the standings say because I wouldn't give back what we got to enjoy for two decades for anything. And if you don't think any Rag fan with more than two detectable brain cells in their head wouldn't trade their recent history of winning jack sh!t for the 20 years we just had, I have a bridge to sell you in Brooklyn for $50.

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

I'm so sick and tired of the self-loathing from Devils fans... Some of you have such an inferiority complex about the Rags it's unreal. The Devils have had a rough 5 seasons after 20 years of nothing but success. It happens. We know the situation. They have more fans because they've existed for 750 years and play in the middle of one of the most overrated, arrogant, in-love-with-itself cities on planet earth. We know they're a better team right now, it's fairly obvious- anyone with two eyes knows that. And guess what, in 10 years no one will give a fvck about this era of Rag hockey if they don't actually win something. It's unbelievable... We got a SPECIAL 20-year run and now we're in a valley. That's sports. That's how it goes. It's cyclical. Yet when you listen to some of you, you'd think we haven't made the playoffs in 20 years. You want rough? Go be a Buffalo fan. You want suffering? Go be a Vancouver Canucks fan. Or a Blues fan. Or a Leafs fan. I don't respect the Rags and I don't give a fvck about their recent of history. They never win sh!t, and until they do, they can blow me. They can keep their sh!tty history, past, recent, and otherwise. I'd rather be a Devils fan any fvcking day of the week no matter what the standings say because I wouldn't give back what we got to enjoy got two decades for anything. And if you don't think any Rag fan with more than two detectable brain cells in their head wouldn't trade their recent history of winning jack sh!t for the 20 years we just had, I have a bridge to sell you in Brooklyn for $50.

This is incredible. How could anyone not agree with this? +100000 likes. It's fvcking exhausting watching the rags get opportunity after opportunity because of great players having boners for NYC. Thank god they have a front office that operates like as if they sniff glue all day or we might have to actually see them do well in the playoffs more often. I hope with every fiber of my being he just goes to Pittsburgh or Washington or anywhere else. 

Also,I'm happy to say, for the first time ever in my life I am jumping ship on a sports team (Yankees) and no longer like a single NY sports team. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

I'm so sick and tired of the self-loathing from Devils fans... Some of you have such an inferiority complex about the Rags it's unreal. The Devils have had a rough 5 seasons after 20 years of nothing but success. It happens. We know the situation. They have more fans because they've existed for 750 years and play in the middle of one of the most overrated, arrogant, in-love-with-itself cities on planet earth. We know they're a better team right now, it's fairly obvious- anyone with two eyes knows that. And guess what, in 10 years no one will give a fvck about this era of Rag hockey if they don't actually win something. It's unbelievable... We got a SPECIAL 20-year run and now we're in a valley. That's sports. That's how it goes. It's cyclical. Yet when you listen to some of you, you'd think we haven't made the playoffs in 20 years. You want rough? Go be a Buffalo fan. You want suffering? Go be a Vancouver Canucks fan. Or a Blues fan. Or a Leafs fan. I don't respect the Rags and I don't give a fvck about their recent history. They never win sh!t, and until they do, they can blow me. They can keep their sh!tty history, past, recent, and otherwise. I'd rather be a Devils fan any fvcking day of the week no matter what the standings say because I wouldn't give back what we got to enjoy for two decades for anything. And if you don't think any Rag fan with more than two detectable brain cells in their head wouldn't trade their recent history of winning jack sh!t for the 20 years we just had, I have a bridge to sell you in Brooklyn for $50.

I usually totally agree with you and the last thing I am is a self loathing Devils fan.  If you feel great comfortable living in the past that's great.  I don't spend any time looking up at the rafters rather I care about that's on the ice that night/season.  If you're talking about the here and now they're a better option for for any free agent and we can't compete without drastically overpaying.  If you're denying the advantage of being in NYC rather than being close enough to in in Newark I think that's not being realistic.  They may not win another thing (for that case we might not either).  Their roster today is in much better shape, I mean hell I can come up with more than half our forwards I would expose and a handful of defensemen I wouldn't sweat putting out there.  In their case they're gonna sweat it out up front and possibly lose Klein who would be a better defensemen than a good number of ours. It is what it is but I spend little time looking back to the good old days and prefer to focus on the here and now and it isn't pretty nor has it been the last coupe of years and it's probably gonna be a while before it is again.