2017 NHL Trade Deadline Thread

Devilsfan118

2 minutes ago, Jas0nMacIsaac said:

He is sheltered so much at the moment. Do you want to pay 7 million plus per year for a 20 point 5on5 defensemen. Is he capable of playing tougher minutes without breaking.

Since I don't watch Blues games on a regular basis, I can't speak to whether he's sheltered or whether 20 points at 5 on 5 for a defenseman isn't good under the circumstances.  What I do know though is that he has 42 points, which is good for fourth among defenseman and blows away what Severson has.  If those points are coming on the powerplay, well, powerplay goals and points count. 

So far as the money goes, who in the organization will be in line for a huge pay raise to make that number unworkable?  Hall will probably see an AAV bump up to $7.5 or $8.  Maybe Severson becomes a $4-$5 million player.  If some combination of Zacha, McCleod, Speers, Wood, Santini and whoever the Devils draft this year are in line for big money three to five years from now, that's not a terrible problem to have.  

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Daniel said:

Since I don't watch Blues games on a regular basis, I can't speak to whether he's sheltered or whether 20 points at 5 on 5 for a defenseman isn't good under the circumstances.  What I do know though is that he has 42 points, which is good for fourth among defenseman and blows away what Severson has.  If those points are coming on the powerplay, well, powerplay goals and points count. 

So far as the money goes, who in the organization will be in line for a huge pay raise to make that number unworkable?  Hall will probably see an AAV bump up to $7.5 or $8.  Maybe Severson becomes a $4-$5 million player.  If some combination of Zacha, McCleod, Speers, Wood, Santini and whoever the Devils draft this year are in line for big money three to five years from now, that's not a terrible problem to have.  

Sheltered offensive defensmen are not who you sign long term to a big contract. How much better is he going to make the Devils PP? 4 to 6 goals? You end up with a Phaneuf type contract that you're married to.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Brian Boyle to Toronto: https://mobile.twitter.com/TBLightning/status/836316353120325633?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also, this nugget: Neal McHale‏@nealmchale 18m18 minutes ago
Pierre LeBrun talking Shattenkirk on TSN 1040: "I think he's looking at New York Rangers, New Jersey this summer....Devils could offer big$"

Well, we have the cap room...

28 minutes ago, Jas0nMacIsaac said:

Sheltered offensive defensmen are not who you sign long term to a big contract. How much better is he going to make the Devils PP? 4 to 6 goals? You end up with a Phaneuf type contract that you're married to.

And the Leafs managed to trade Phaneuf and they're not really that much worse for wear with the money they had to retain, and the Leafs apparently will be in a position to sign Tavares if it ever comes to that.

Ultimately we're not the type of team that's ever in a position to land a free agent that can really advance things.  And we don't figure to suck enough at the right time to really draft players that can turn things around.  But even if we do manage to draft a star, he's not getting paid for at least five years from now.  If Shattenkirk turns out to be a dud, he'll have two years left on his deal when you have to worry about it and there will be a new CBA at some point in the interim that will almost certainly give you two buy outs without a cap hit.

If we don't want to be a perrenial bottom 25 team, this is a risk worth taking.

• Like 2

And it looks like Washington is basically giving up not much.  A first this year, a conditional second next year and Zach Sanford, a prospect who figures to be a bottom six winger.  So, in other words, what figures to be the 27th to 31st pick in a crappy draft, maybe a second rounder next year, and the type of player you could pick up on waivers if you had to.  

And it looks like Washington is basically giving up not much.  A first this year, a conditional second next year and Zach Sanford, a prospect who figures to be a bottom six winger.  So, in other words, what figures to be the 27th to 31st pick in a crappy draft, maybe a second rounder next year, and the type of player you could pick up on waivers if you had to.  

For a rental on a team where it's Cup or bust, that's a steal. Good deal for the Caps.

20 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Welp there goes an exciting deadline for us.

As it should be, I suppose. Sell off a few pieces and let the kids play the season out.

Did you honestly think the Devils, out if the playoffs, were going to be the ones to trade for possibly the best available D-man at the deadline?? When does that player EVER go to a team not in contention?

4 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

For a rental on a team where it's Cup or bust, that's a steal. Good deal for the Caps.

There's no such thing as a steal for a rental unless you win the Cup. It's a desperate move by a team that's all in. Shattenkirk has half his points on the power play. Panic move due to the Pens being in. Glad we didn't bite. Hopefully, it works out for the Caps or they are gonna look like fools.

12 minutes ago, Derek21 said:

There's no such thing as a steal for a rental unless you win the Cup. It's a desperate move by a team that's all in. Shattenkirk has half his points on the power play. Panic move due to the Pens being in. Glad we didn't bite. Hopefully, it works out for the Caps or they are gonna look like fools.

Good move by Washington imo. They are the most dominant team in the league, their window is right now. Going for it is the right thing to do, you play to win championships.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

No one is taking Lovejoy, it's just not happening. I doubt we could give him away. 

PAP will fetch something as will Quincy. 

Hoping Ray can continue to pile up the picks and use them to snag another Palmieri type trade. 

It's not more difficult to trade a player that was taken from waivers ? 
Aren't we supposed to ask for every team or something like that ? 

(another strong possibility.. i'm totally stupid and misunderstand everything) 

2 hours ago, moustic said:

It's not more difficult to trade a player that was taken from waivers ? 
Aren't we supposed to ask for every team or something like that ? 

(another strong possibility.. i'm totally stupid and misunderstand everything) 

Not that I am aware of but I am really not the person to ask on that. CBA and trade rules are not something I ever tried to get to grips with. 

As an aside who is avaliable from the Penguins? As I am sure we will be in for them come the deadline.  

9 minutes ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

Not that I am aware of but I am really not the person to ask on that. CBA and trade rules are not something I ever tried to get to grips with. 

As an aside who is avaliable from the Penguins? As I am sure we will be in for them come the deadline.  

I'm pretty sure there are rules regarding trading players recently acquired in FA or waivers. Could be mistaken. Tri probably knows.