GDT - Devils vs Senators 2/16/17

NJDfan1711

I have a feeling this is going to be a close, tight game.  Schneider already confirmed for tonight, not that it's a surprise, but a very early confirmation.  Mike Condon likely in net for them.  Stats are very similar between the two -- Condon:  16 wins, 2.53 GAA, .913 Sv%, 4 shutouts.  Cory:  18 wins, 2.66 GAA, .912 Sv%, 2 shutouts.  If we get Cory's best tonight, I think we win this one 3-2.

I don't understand why Auvitu is not up in the big club if he's healthy now, but in the interest of keeping things simple, I really just hope the rest of the lineup remains the same, as it seems we're starting to get a little bit of chemistry going.  It's worked well for the past half dozen games or so.  I really would like to see some guys like Henrique, Zajac, and Noesen continue to score.  As I mentioned in another thread, I think it's imperative that we get some help and contributions from our bottom 6.

Hoping the lines look something like this again:

Hall - Henrique - Palmieri

Cammalleri -  Zajac - Parenteau

Zacha - Josefson - Blandisi

Wood - Noesen - DSP 

Greene - Severson

Moore - Merril

Santini - Quincey

Keep Lovejoy on the bench because he deserves it, and Helgeson on reserve as a decent 7th d-man if necessary.  (this assuming again that Auvitu needs to be in the minors for whatever reason, otherwise I'd bring him up and send either Moore or Quincey down).

Would love to get 2 points in regulation here and continue to climb the standings.  We're only 6 pts behind Ottawa but they have two games in hand.  A win in regulation tonight gets us quite close to them.  They're in the other conference so it's not quite as important as playing some of the other teams in the Metropolitan division, but for the wildcard we're still chasing a team like the Leafs, and more than likely since they have games in hand they could pass Ottawa for that top 3 spot, so it still definitely is important to beat them tonight.

Let's Go Devils.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

I think the Devils win this one, solidly. I think we'll all get our hopes up, seeing the boys 1-3 points out of a playoff spot. And since this draft isn't exactly elbow deep in top tier talent, I hope we are in the thick of things. I miss being anxious on game day, I miss being nervous during the games. I've been so "ah, whatever" about these boys for so long now. 

Yup, exactly how I feel too. I think we all do.  These past two weeks as they've been playing better and wining some games in regulation has brought some of that back.  We're not too far from a playoff spot now where it seems like more of a possibility rather than just a lofty pipe dream.  It's really nice and exciting to look forward to games and have them mean something. I hope we keep it up and get close down the stretch.  Sure I'll be disappointed if we fall just short again, but I'd much rather see exciting and competitive games and fall just short, as opposed to keep losing and not watch hockey for the last month of the season because it's boring and awful, 

What's stupid? BB8 > Blandisi. It's not even really that close.

You're right, it isn't even that close.  BB8 is not nearly better than Blandisi.  In 40 games so far, Bennett has 3 goals and 7 assists.  In 41 games last year, Blandisi had 5 goals and 12 assists.  He hasn't hit the scoresheet yet this year, but he's played all of 5 games, and most of those have been just lately.  Give the guy a chance to develop some consistency and chemistry, and he'll probably start potting some goals again.  He's also 3 years younger than Bennett, and doesn't make nearly the amount of stupid mistakes he does either.

But honestly, all of that aside, you want to really know what the stupid part is?   Calling up Bennett and putting him on the 4th line, instead of the 3rd where he finally, actually, MAYBE had some chemistry and good things going with Zacha/Josefson.

• Like 1

If you're using points to judge a player, I guess we can't really have much of an argument. If you think Blandisi gives this team a better chance to compete right now than BB8, we have hugely different views on this team. 

Blender was fun when he came up last year, until he dragged his name and the organizations name through the mud with, what was it, 4 diving calls? I think he may have a chance to be a player some day, but letting him develop in the AHL playing solid minutes sounds much better to me. 

You really are going to hold that much of a grudge against a then 21 year old?   And you really think our organization's name was dragged through the mud?  For starters, I don't hear or see ANYONE talking about it -- certainly no one national, and not even anyone in the local media that covers just the Devils.  And beyond that, clearly the organization doens't think it was too big of a deal or else they woudln't have brought him in as the guy on standby when someone like Bennett gets hurt.  They could've just as easily brought in Quennville or Coleman again, or Pietila, etc.     

9 minutes ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

Oh relax. No, I'm not holding a grudge. I am saying that the only reason 29 other teams know the name Blandisi is because of his soccer-like diving and acting. 

I've said it a dozen times now. When healthy, BB8 is a better hockey player than Joe Blandisi. If you disagree, that's neat. That's why it's a forum. 

Fair enough.  Agree to disagree :)

• Like 1