Jump to content

GDT: 1994 @ NJ Devils, 2/25/17 5:00 pm


CommonDreads
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Mike Brown said:

RECAP

  • Another game where point shots really hurt us.
  • No matter how many times they get burned by them, they always seem to allow them at will.
  • Otherwise, this was a great effort.
  • The Rangers are going nowhere with that defense and system.
  • Their d-zone system is probably even worse than ours.
  • Quincey was great tonight, and I hope our other d-men follow his lead from tonight.

EVEN STRENGTH POSSESSION

  • CF: 55 to 55, 50%
  • FF: 49 to 42, 53.85%
  • SF: 37 to 35, 51.39%

The Rangers are good. I'll give them that...but what I saw today (and throughout) this season really doesn't align to their record as it is right now. Especially with the goaltending they've gotten this year from Lundqvist. 

Grabner has been immense for them. But no I would not trust their D. We never get scoring chances and we got 2 million of them today

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Mike Brown said:

RECAP

  • Another game where point shots really hurt us.
  • No matter how many times they get burned by them, they always seem to allow them at will.
  • Otherwise, this was a great effort.
  • The Rangers are going nowhere with that defense and system.
  • Their d-zone system is probably even worse than ours.
  • Quincey was great tonight, and I hope our other d-men follow his lead from tonight.

EVEN STRENGTH POSSESSION

  • CF: 55 to 55, 50%
  • FF: 49 to 42, 53.85%
  • SF: 37 to 35, 51.39%

So far Rangers are making payoffs and will most likely go past the 1st round. We are going straight to a golf course. That's probably because their d-zone system is worse than ours.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

McLeod and Bastian look to be very average NHLers if they ever get there.   Rykov may never leave the KHL.  Joey Anderson has been impressive, but will almost certainly end up taking the Vesey route.  Probably will end up on the Rangers.

McLeod is having just as good of a season as Zacha ever had in the O, as recently as last night he had 6 points in one game. Just chill out man, losing to the rangers sucks but it's no reason to go off the deep end. Their team is in a different state than ours, and we can thank Lou for leaving us in this position with years of choosing to never let go when we should've began rebuilding forever ago.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We're really pinning this loss on Cory? Sure the winner was absolutely pathetic, but come on.

Clendening's goal was thanks to Nojoy using a soft check, then screening Schneider.

Dude Sucks at Playing ran into his own teammates no fewer than 3 times, including two guys at once twice.

We only decided to play motivated hockey at 10 minute clips during the first and third.

This team is pathetically weak mentally. If you can get a goal against, they feel sorry for themselves for waaaaay too goddamn long.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, '7' said:

The Rangers are good. I'll give them that...but what I saw today (and throughout) this season really doesn't align to their record as it is right now. Especially with the goaltending they've gotten this year from Lundqvist. 

Grabner has been immense for them. But no I would not trust their D. We never get scoring chances and we got 2 million of them today

They are probably the best team at finding ways to score timely goals. I'm not surprised with their record. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Devs64 said:

Can anybody hit Palms with a trash can in the locker room? How many times did this team shoot themselves in the foot? 

Yeah, let's hit one of the few guys that gives a sh!t night in, night out with a trash can because he didn't score his 3rd goal of the fvcking night. Why don't we hit Beau Bennett with a trash can for squandering about 50 chances from the slot? or DSP? or Josefson? or sh!t, the entire team since we had about 500 chances to end this in regulation but didn't.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Devs64 said:

They are probably the best team at finding ways to score timely goals. I'm not surprised with their record. 

They have had unusually good goal scoring this year for the talent they have...which is good...but they shouldn't be this good. And the sh!tty goaltending will catch up to them in the playoffs. Lundqvist can't carry sh!t anymore.

They will not be in the be in the Finals or ECF this year. This year is an unusual anomaly for a team supposed to take a step back.

Edited by '7'
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, '7' said:

They have had unusually good goal scoring this year for the talent they have...which is good...but they shouldn't be this good. And the sh!tty goaltending will catch up to them in the playoffs. Lundqvist can't carry sh!t anymore.

They will not be in the be in the Finals or ECF this year. This year is an unusual anomaly for a team supposed to take a step back.

The way that Grabner has turned out for them has to be one of the most fortunate signings I've ever seen. He was garbo for so many years and suddenly has more even strength goals than practically everyone in the league.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Didn't we blow a late 3rd period lead against the Rags last time we played them? And lost in OT or SO?

Cory is a great case for the anti save percentage guys. He will always let in the worst goals at the worst times and is bad in the shootout, bad in OT.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, Devs64 said:

Can anybody hit Palms with a trash can in the locker room?

They could try, but it would sail past him into the boards.

You're funny though, we would have been totally embarrassed without Palmieri tonight, instead we got one point and lost in OT. What can you do.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Didn't we blow a late 3rd period lead against the Rags last time we played them? And lost in OT or SO?

Cory is a great case for the anti save percentage guys. He will always let in the worst goals at the worst times and is bad in the shootout, bad in OT.

Yes we did, and we lost that one in a SO. Schneider is not clutch at all.

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Steven M. said:

Yeah, let's hit one of the few guys that gives a sh!t night in, night out with a trash can because he didn't score his 3rd goal of the fvcking night. Why don't we hit Beau Bennett with a trash can for squandering about 50 chances from the slot? or DSP? or Josefson? or sh!t, the entire team since we had about 500 chances to end this in regulation but didn't.

Take it easy dude. I love Palms. Just pissed with the way the game ended. You are 100% right. Sometimes I simply refuse to believe what I see when this team blows a ton of chances and lose in a most pathetic way. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Devs64 said:

Take it easy dude. I love Palms. Just pissed with the way the game ended. You are 100% right. Sometimes I simply refuse to believe what I see when this team blows a ton of chances and lose in a most pathetic way. 

Sorry man, seen a few people (not on here) blaming him for our loss and I'm just like really? Dude was flying all night. I know how you feel though. That's the way the last half decade has gone for us. It would've just been oh-too-perfect for him to end it with a hatty in OT.

Fvck it, at least it was a fun game I guess. Probably better in the long run for us to lose games at this point anyway.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Steven M. said:

Sorry man, seen a few people (not on here) blaming him for our loss and I'm just like really? Dude was flying all night. I know how you feel though. That's the way the last half decade has gone for us. It would've just been oh-too-perfect for him to end it with a hatty in OT.

Fvck it, at least it was a fun game I guess. Probably better in the long run for us to lose games at this point anyway.

Peace brother. I'm just tired of waiting for at least making playoffs. We are moving in the right direction, but the old symptoms still cost us.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, '7' said:

Didn't we blow a late 3rd period lead against the Rags last time we played them? And lost in OT or SO?

Cory is a great case for the anti save percentage guys. He will always let in the worst goals at the worst times and is bad in the shootout, bad in OT.

Or the pro-win guys though it's basically the same thing.  You need 32 saves to lose 2-1 against Ottawa?  Cory's your man.  You need 35 saves in a November game against Buffalo or a March game against Carolina after we're out of the playoff chase?  Again Cory's your man.  But not when you need a big late third period or OT save.  Cory usually does just good enough to lose when it matters.

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Fun game to be at, and I was proud of the Devils effort. It is just a shame that it can get sabotaged by essentially two players. 

 

Lovejoy - I'm sorry but he fvcking sucks. He is a net negative and hurts the team being on the ice. He is an invitation to opposition to attack him and he looks like end of career Daneyko out there. All the Girardi jokes we make - he's fvcking Bobby Orr to lovejoy. I have had very little quibble w/ Shero but this was in the Lou mold of going with what you know and not what is the truth. 

Goal 3 is 100% his fault. The sequence before the icing - devils have complete control and he is behind the net with the puck. He's pressured - coughs it up - Rangers control play for 30 seconds including seeing Lovejoy out at the fvcking blue line because he's so out of sorts. Greene is forced to clear the puck and creates an icing out of it (Greene does this way too much by the way but he's playing defense against his own guy so what can you do). 

So after the icing - zajac wins the puck but Lovejoy still can't help - gets to the point and a shot gets by Cory. I don't love that goal but it's not awful. 

 

But then we get to the OT goal. I'm sorry - Cory has to have it. I know that I sound like the idiot fans I rail against. Simply put - a goalie that is going to win when games matter doesn't give that up. And yes - Roy, Hasek, Marty - they've all given up softies. It happens. 

But tonight was a playoff game for the Devils. They are very obviously not going to the playoffs. Their season is 20 or so games left. They are the definition of playing out the string. But games like tonight - you treat them like a playoff game if you're the players. And for the most part, they all did. 

Lovejoy is like playing short handed ever shift he's out there. He is in Malakhov territory for me which means there is no coming back. I will only complain about him until he is gone to the point of annoyance. If he scores a goal, I will credit the guy who assisted on it. He makes the Devils less enjoyable to me and I curse him being on this team. 

But Cory - honestly - they will never win anything with him. Tonight proved that to me. 

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Rangers are a fast team and we were flying up and down the ice with them... solid effort by the boys tonight. Cory was strong for most of the game.  It stinks to lose to these tools, but it was a exciting game ..far removed from that stadium series nightmare a few years back. This team/organization is making progress.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm not ready to declare Cory a no-pressure player just yet. 

But no arguments about Lovejoy. Unless Shero and Hynes are actively trying to tank by playing inferior players.. I can't see how this guy's in the NHL.

Cory hasn't had a chance to play in the playoffs yet (unless you count him backing up and getting a small amount of playoff game action in Vancouver), but based on what I've seen from him in whatever games could've been considered important for the Devils while he's been here, I haven't been encouraged at all. You can't deny that he gives up very untimely goals, and they're usually soft untimely goals.

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, '7' said:

They have had unusually good goal scoring this year for the talent they have...which is good...but they shouldn't be this good. And the sh!tty goaltending will catch up to them in the playoffs. Lundqvist can't carry sh!t anymore.

They will not be in the be in the Finals or ECF this year. This year is an unusual anomaly for a team supposed to take a step back.

Lundqvist is 10-2-1 with a sub-2.00 GAA and .939 save percentage over his last 14. He's been carrying them for a while. Stepan has been sh!t since 1/17 and Zibanejad finally did something. They have been doing it mostly with Hayes/Miller/Grabner. They had an off game. And the 4th line has been good lately along with Skjei. But you are correct on the D. They are shaky. So, I have to think a move will be made. Look how bad they were at the start of the third. That was hideous. They are able to score timely goals. But in the playoffs, it gets much harder to score in transition. Hence why I still doubt the AV system.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, sundstrom said:

Fun game to be at, and I was proud of the Devils effort. It is just a shame that it can get sabotaged by essentially two players. 

 

Lovejoy - I'm sorry but he fvcking sucks. He is a net negative and hurts the team being on the ice. He is an invitation to opposition to attack him and he looks like end of career Daneyko out there. All the Girardi jokes we make - he's fvcking Bobby Orr to lovejoy. I have had very little quibble w/ Shero but this was in the Lou mold of going with what you know and not what is the truth. 

Goal 3 is 100% his fault. The sequence before the icing - devils have complete control and he is behind the net with the puck. He's pressured - coughs it up - Rangers control play for 30 seconds including seeing Lovejoy out at the fvcking blue line because he's so out of sorts. Greene is forced to clear the puck and creates an icing out of it (Greene does this way too much by the way but he's playing defense against his own guy so what can you do). 

So after the icing - zajac wins the puck but Lovejoy still can't help - gets to the point and a shot gets by Cory. I don't love that goal but it's not awful. 

 

But then we get to the OT goal. I'm sorry - Cory has to have it. I know that I sound like the idiot fans I rail against. Simply put - a goalie that is going to win when games matter doesn't give that up. And yes - Roy, Hasek, Marty - they've all given up softies. It happens. 

But tonight was a playoff game for the Devils. They are very obviously not going to the playoffs. Their season is 20 or so games left. They are the definition of playing out the string. But games like tonight - you treat them like a playoff game if you're the players. And for the most part, they all did. 

Lovejoy is like playing short handed ever shift he's out there. He is in Malakhov territory for me which means there is no coming back. I will only complain about him until he is gone to the point of annoyance. If he scores a goal, I will credit the guy who assisted on it. He makes the Devils less enjoyable to me and I curse him being on this team. 

But Cory - honestly - they will never win anything with him. Tonight proved that to me. 

 

I never understood the Lovejoy move to be honest. But they were cheap and have cap room to upgrade the back end. I thought Schneider was excellent. He stood on his head the entire 2nd. That was as lopsided a period as I've seen. Maybe you're being hard on him. You want to kill him for the winner. Zibanejad pulled off a good fake and got him five-hole. It's 3 on 3. That's not hockey. A lot of goalies can be made to look bad in such chaos. He gave up 4 goals. And was screened out by his own players on Clendening's tying marker. The other 2. One went off a Devil, Kreider and the post. And Lindberg was left alone. Schneider needs more help from his D. 

Palmieri absolutely blew that hat trick. He had room on the second chance but missed. Devils deserved to win.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, '7' said:

If it's not football season all Sunday games should start at before 4

The only reason for the early start was due to NBC and the damn NHL shilling for the Pens some more against the awful Flyers at Heinz Field. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Derek21 said:

 

I never understood the Lovejoy move to be honest. But they were cheap and have cap room to upgrade the back end. I thought Schneider was excellent. He stood on his head the entire 2nd. That was as lopsided a period as I've seen. Maybe you're being hard on him. You want to kill him for the winner. Zibanejad pulled off a good fake and got him five-hole. It's 3 on 3. That's not hockey. A lot of goalies can be made to look bad in such chaos. He gave up 4 goals. And was screened out by his own players on Clendening's tying marker. The other 2. One went off a Devil, Kreider and the post. And Lindberg was left alone. Schneider needs more help from his D. 

Palmieri absolutely blew that hat trick. He had room on the second chance but missed. Devils deserved to win.

I don't mind any other goal on Cory but the OT is garbage and can't happen. 

And he was fish out of water a ton in the second. Rangers didn't finish. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.