Jump to content

GDT - Devils vs Canadiens 2/27/17


NJDfan1711
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Nicomo said:

There's other guy's that suck too, like Lovejoy, but I expect Cory to steal a game once in awhile. Elite goalies are supposed to be capable of that. 

I don't even see tonight as a game he needed to steal. They played well enough to win and didn't. I'm a Cory defender but I dunno who else to pin tonight on.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

I will say, if you're a fan of this team and consistently pay money to watch an inferior product lose in disappointing ways, you're a better man than I. 

I'm thrilled that there are only 10 home games left. I'm burnt out with all these losses lately, especially these past 2. Might be using the buy back option on a few towards the end of the season to go on vacation earlier. I knew it was very unlikely but I was waiting to see if we would climb back in it... Lol

Edited by Satans Hockey
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

I'm thrilled that there are only 10 home games left. I'm burnt out with all these losses lately, especially these past 2. Might be using the buy back option on a few towards the end of the season to go on vacation earlier. I knew it was very unlikely but I was waiting to see if we would climb back in it... Lol

I've been to one win since January 2nd. One. I've been to every game except four, I believe. I have been done with this season for weeks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not going to get on Schneider since the season is over win or lose today. We've seen him have stretches like this before...he overcomes then.

We just give up way too many chances.

I'm starting to get worried about this potential rebuild. Seems like we are more treading water than building towards anything. 

Edited by '7'
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, Steven M. said:

I don't even see tonight as a game he needed to steal. They played well enough to win and didn't. I'm a Cory defender but I dunno who else to pin tonight on.

I agree with the bolded part.  Schneider didn't play great, but I'm not sure I'd primarily blame him though because after the Devils went up 3-1 (which they accomplished by largely outplaying Montreal and controlling the game), the Canadiens asserted themselves/the Devils slacked off and Montreal overwhelmingly controlled play IMO until the end of the game (even though the fact the Devils had a couple really good scoring chances in the last 10 minutes of regulation).  You can't blame Schneider for Montreal controlling the action after it got to 3-1.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, '7' said:

Not going to get on Schneider since the season is over win or lose today. We've seen him have stretches like this before...he overcomes then.

We just give up way too many chances.

I'm starting to get worried about this potential rebuild. Seems like we are more treading water than building towards anything. 

It's slow, and what didn't help is that the Devils were supposed to be quite bad last year but ended up just being worse than average. But no, they're still quite bad.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

I will say, if you're a fan of this team and consistently pay money to watch an inferior product lose in disappointing ways, you're a better man than I. 

I was one of those. Been a fan since 1984 and a STH for last 10 years. Lower sec. it has been a sacrifice since I live at the shore. I love this franchise because of the pride it brings to NJ. There were plenty of lean years but you always felt they were really building something. And the ownership were fans too albeit not too money rich. Lou was a wizard .These owners are empty, spiritless businessmen and  are making lots of money at the Rock . Not just on hockey. They say all the right things of course. The product on the ice is not worth the money I have to lay out not the time traveling to the rink  on a regular basis. This team and franchise is going nowhere...fast. Shero went to all the Pittsburg retreads to help him in his experience curve with a new organization. The coach is in a fog. No emotion or passion. He may be a good developmental coach but come on. This is the Big show. Get somebody who has won something. Shero let Stevens go. Look at Minn goals against! I digress . I will always be a Devils fan. Period. I will follow them as fervently as ever. I will go to the occasional game. But I cannot support this lifeless organization as a STH anymore. Too big a commitment on our part as fans for a management group that is not  committed to delivering a product that is exciting, competitive and has a crazy wild desire to win. Get some passion! Sorry about the rant but I have not renewed my  season tickets and I have put them all up for sale. I'll stay home and watch. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, CHIP72 said:

I agree with the bolded part.  Schneider didn't play great, but I'm not sure I'd primarily blame him though because after the Devils went up 3-1 (which they accomplished by largely outplaying Montreal and controlling the game), the Canadiens asserted themselves/the Devils slacked off and Montreal overwhelmingly controlled play IMO until the end of the game (even though the fact the Devils had a couple really good scoring chances in the last 10 minutes of regulation).  You can't blame Schneider for Montreal controlling the action after it got to 3-1.

Yeah, I mean it was another situation of not being able to put the game away. We had that 2 on 1 late where someone fed Noesen for the partial break and he didn't score. Had quite a few partial breaks we didn't pot come to think of it. Then there was the icing Hall & Palmieri wiped out. Between them behind the net and then the breakout through the neutral zone... there's 5 Devils on the ice still there. You need to win those battles and get the ENG. It's not surprising to me that we end up getting scored on when we almost always spend over 60 seconds trapped in our zone when the opponent's goalie is pulled.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

The guy is facing a fvcking ton of shots lately...over 33 per game on average for this month.  Elite goalies can only do so much.  This team does damned near nothing to make his job any easier.  

I saw Lundqvist go through this last year. And also this year. If your D is below average and you are not good at puck possession, the goalie's play will suffer. Until the Devils put out a better roster, Schneider is being wasted. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This had been such a sh!t year. 

Two years ago I really got into the team as I was coming over to watch them play so I have a soft spot for that team. Last year the effort and the heart was there , it felt like there was a lot to root for and progress was being made. 

This year my expectations were probably way too high. 

This team misses Adam Larsson a lot. 

Edited by Chimaira_Devil_#9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, munichdevil said:

They will never win anything with that guy in goal. These softies every night break the team. They have to work so hard to get a goal and then Schneider lets easy goals in again and again. Get rid of this guy before Wednesday and go with Kinkaid and Appleby, then sign somebody in the summer.

I'm not ready to give up on him yet, but I think he has a lot of work to do this offseason. I'm not sure what the answer is (better D would certainly help), maybe he needs to work with a different goalie coach or something. All I know is I'm sick of losing games where they score enough to win, and he let's in bad goals. Especially these last minute killers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I have no idea why, but when I read this I pictured Foghorn Leghorn saying it.  And it made me laugh.  And I'm glad it did, because I need a good laugh.  Man have the last two losses been boot spears to the balls.

If he started with " I do declare", that would have been the only way for that to be more Foghorn Leghorn. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Derek21 said:

I saw Lundqvist go through this last year. And also this year. If your D is below average and you are not good at puck possession, the goalie's play will suffer. Until the Devils put out a better roster, Schneider is being wasted. 

Since the start of the New Year, Cory's facing 31.8 shots per 60 min, yet has managed a .926 save% and 2.35 GAA during that time...behind a defense that gets (rightly) crucified on an almost nightly basis, and doesn't seem to be improving much.  There's at least three guys in Killjoy, Moore, and Quincey that pretty much everyone wants to see gone.  And then there's Damon "The Minus Man" Severson (was actually a +2 last night...so now he's only a -28...there's no one even in his time zone on the Devils, as far as that number goes). 

Tri pointed it out in the last GDT, and it's the truth...get the fvcking SA down, and stop giving the other team chance after chance in your end, and Cory will be fine, even with the occasional softie...the guy has proven himself to be a fine puck-stopper, even with his bad November and December this year.  It's kind of funny, because we all piss and moan about the crappy defense, about how Killjoy just seems to exist to find ways to help the Devils give up goals at the worst possible time, about how the Devils are clearly short on talent compared to the better teams and often struggle to score..but Cory is supposed to magically be able to overcome ALL of that, and prop this bad team on his shoulders. 

And yes, Schneider is being wasted at the moment.  Hopefully this is going to be a productive offseason, where the Devils can realistically challenge for a playoff berth next season...because I think both Cory and Taylor Hall really need it at this point.  I'm sure it's gotta sting Hall that, going strictly by at-a-glance perception, some would say "The team that dealt you is better off for having done it, and you really haven't made much of an impact on your new team."  Hall has to be getting frustrated...especially since he can't buy any puck luck these days.  Just 6 goals in his last 36 GP, on 104 shots (5.8 shooting%).   Eventually the lack of rewards has to start getting to him.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

If he started with " I do declare", that would have been the only way for that to be more Foghorn Leghorn. 

Heh heh, for me it started with the "I will say...".  Once I read that, that quickly turned into Foghorn's "I say, son I say" when I read the rest of the post.  Apparently Foghorn Leghorn was a composite of a pair of characters from two different radio shows (one from the 30s and another from the 40s), one being a blustery Southern politician, and the other being a hard-of-hearing sheriff.  The "Foghorn" first name is supposed to allude to his often being loud and obnoxious, and Leghorn is his actual breed.  I actually didn't find him that funny as a kid, but as an adult I think that character can be pretty humorous...I think partly because Opie and Anthony used to play some Foghorn soundbites at some pretty memorable times, which has somehow made him more amusing to me. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Palms is en fuego

I knew he was hot, but I didn't realize how "en fuego" he's been:  11 G and 7 A over his last 20 GP.  He now has 97 points in 142 GP as a Devil (49 G and 48 A).  Nice find by Shero, and signed to a very reasonable cap hit of course.  You wonder if he can keep shooting around 13.5-14.0%, but as long as the Devils don't ask him to do too much, he should be a solid and useful player. 

Go back a little further and his offensive numbers are pretty solid after a slow start:  Just 3 G and 4 A in his first 17 GP, and 16 G and 17 A in 43 GP since.  You wonder if Palms playing under his new contract affected him at all early on...sometimes guys put a little extra pressure on themselves, trying to do too much.  I'll take 50-60 points from him and be plenty happy with it. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I knew he was hot, but I didn't realize how "en fuego" he's been:  11 G and 7 A over his last 20 GP.  He now has 97 points in 142 GP as a Devil (49 G and 48 A).  Nice find by Shero, and signed to a very reasonable cap hit of course.  You wonder if he can keep shooting around 13.5-14.0%, but as long as the Devils don't ask him to do too much, he should be a solid and useful player. 

Go back a little further and his offensive numbers are pretty solid after a slow start:  Just 3 G and 4 A in his first 17 GP, and 16 G and 17 A in 43 GP since.  You wonder if Palms playing under his new contract affected him at all early on...sometimes guys put a little extra pressure on themselves, trying to do too much.  I'll take 50-60 points from him and be plenty happy with it. 

He was a nice find overall. I always noticed him on the rare occasions I saw him play vs NJ but he was always seemingly buried in Anaheims then deep roster. It's not always a given these guys work out though once they are given a top six opportunity. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

For some reason I watched last night's and this weekend's game.  While they got a point out of each, with these two losses and the trade deadline coming up where we are sure to be sellers these games pretty much the final nail in this seasons coffin for me.  At least from now on I can go into every game with zero expectations other than to kill some time and maybe watch some guys pad whatever miserable stats they have.

When the game had about 7 minutes left and the Devils were up 3-2 I told my wife that the Canadiens will pull their goalie and tie it in the final 2 minutes.  Like clockwork that's what happened and they lost eventually in overtime.  Team just sucks at protecting leads but I guess that's what lousy teams do especially ones that let their goalies get shelled on a nightly basis by the other team.

I am at the point where I am pretty much done with Uncle Fester behind the coach.  I know he has very little to work with, but to put HateJoy out there on the tying and game-winning goal is beyond stupid.  I won't kill him for having to deal with a gutter-dwelling team, but to make questionable decisions on who to put out here at critical times is without explanation.

I really hope Shero does some serious overhauling over the summer with both the expansion and entry draft along with free agency.  If Shero loses Shattenkirk only because we didn't offer him enough and instead puts the money towards more players from the Penguins s&%t-bin I will completely lose it.  Lovejoy, Farnham, Bennett, etc have been largely losers and I hope this doesn't become some sort of pattern like Lou did with Devils-retreads and over-the-hill ex Canadiens.  We will see.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was ticked at Hynes too when I saw Killjoy out there with the game on the line.  I'll say this much...if nothing else, we've come up with a lot of good derogatory variations of Lovejoy in the last 12 hours or so.  I caused my wife to stir (she was asleep next to me) when I said, "Oh great, fvcking Killjoy is out there, here comes the tie"...that was quickly followed by "Oh of course!  Of fvcking course!" 

Yeah, Shero's done some good things here, but yeah, stay out of the Penguin Dollar Store for a while.  Just because.  I think he's got some creativity to him though...Palms was a solid acquisition, and Shero's going to have a lot of picks to work with.  I'm actually pretty optimistic, as far as the offseason goes.  But I think the remainder of this season is going to be borderline torture. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, mackchi said:

 Shero let Stevens go. Look at Minn goals against! I digress .

 

Look at Minny's d-corps:

Suter, Scandella, Brodin, Dunba, Spurgen - from the Devils, only Severson cracks that lineup. Not even Greene would make their top 6.

Nevermind that Dubnyk has been playing lights out also.

You need the horses.

Scott Stevens is not Larry Robinson.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.