So when will the Devils be competitive again?

Daniel

I think I know the play your talking about. It may have hit the post but it was a crazy play. Basically Richer received a drop pass and unloaded a massive slap shot that Richter deadened with his pad...the rebound went too far to his left. MacLean was heading to the net along with Nicholls about to stuff it home...then the puck was swatted somewhere. It was a total mass of humanity and skates. Puck may have gone off the post there, but not on the original Richer shot.

One of the greatest games Brodeur ever played was game 3, the first Matteau winner. He deserved the W on that one. Totally under siege.

Ah yes, I believe you're correct- the puck was inches away from going in though with that scrum in front off the initial Richer slap shot. I could've sworn it hit the post at some point during that sequence.... One thing's for sure, we were literally inches away from keeping 1940 alive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Ah yes, I believe you're correct- the puck was inches away from going in though with that scrum in front off the initial Richer slap shot. I could've sworn it hit the post at some point during that sequence.... One thing's for sure, we were literally inches away from keeping 1940 alive.

I loved the 1940 chant.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Me too. It rolled right off the tongue lol.

It even forced an unoriginal 19-never reply. Not that we can really talk because nowadays Devils fans just completely bite Rangers chants.

• Like 1

1997 team was fully-stacked to win the whole thing after the Gilmour trade. No way Flyers represent the East that year if they had to go through the Devils. Just a combination of things went against them: 1) Andreychuk injury last game of the season 2) unfortunate second round matchup in that Rangers were matched very well against them though they were a few minutes away from playing seventh-seeded Ottawa by virtue of Ottawa almost winning the series vs Buffalo 3) just refusal of Lemaire to play young guys like Elias for likes of Zezel (RIP) and some goons because the whole team Lemaire included was completely mentally taken to the cleaners by Rangers

7 hours ago, PacificDevil said:

1997 team was fully-stacked to win the whole thing after the Gilmour trade. No way Flyers represent the East that year if they had to go through the Devils. Just a combination of things went against them: 1) Andreychuk injury last game of the season 2) unfortunate second round matchup in that Rangers were matched very well against them though they were a few minutes away from playing seventh-seeded Ottawa by virtue of Ottawa almost winning the series vs Buffalo 3) just refusal of Lemaire to play young guys like Elias for likes of Zezel (RIP) and some goons because the whole team Lemaire included was completely mentally taken to the cleaners by Rangers

I can't believe how he died [just read about it, had no clue], what a rough way to go, poor guy.

As for the team, I'm hoping we get lucky and pull in a top 6 forward this summer. Obviously I'd prefer a top line guy, but beggars cannot be choosers. As long as we don't stockpile bottom 6 guys who might have glimmers of bottom 9, I'll be content. We can't have, and I'm sure Ray is more than well aware, more of this close our eyes and hope moves on guys. I loved the DSP signing just for the term and price last summer, but sh!t that failed. Didn't love the Lovejoy move but figured hey, he won a cup and didnt suck.

Whenever it is, it can't be soon enough.   I understand that after years of success, these types of years are bound to happen.  The thing that sucks is that we are in an area surrounded by Ranger fans.  I get a text from my friend (a ranger fan) at 10:30 saying "Hank passes brodeur for most wins in first twelve seasons hahahaha".  I didn't respond.  I was going to ask how many were shootout wins, but I said F it, just not worth responding.  They seem to pick out some obscure stats.  

Then I walk into Dunkin Donuts (in Sussex County) and the cups have Rangers logos on them.  Needless to say I didn't even bother getting the coffee.  I mean, its the only cup they will have their name on for the last 23 years but still, I couldn't drink out of it.

• Like 1

This is a season where I think Ray can be the most creative due to the expansion draft being thrown in there.  We are pretty well set for that where it looks like we won't lose anyone of any real value in that draft and can easily take advantage of that.  Combined with the entry draft where more teams are needing to get under the cap the Devils can really pull another picks for Palmieri trade or two out of this along with a high draft pick.  This could be the off-season that lays down the foundations for a future perennial powerhouse.

I have already written off this season about a week or two before the trade deadline as one that is down the sh&*er.  The 15-18 games remaining are just time wasters at this point for me.  The Devils are both boring and frustrating but it is what it is and I am passed the point of being pissed off at them (with the exception of Lovejoy who pisses me off just looking at his number).

I would really like Ray to go all out on Shattenkirk.  Offer him the most $ and most years to get him.  The contract would probably be brutal starting around year 5, but that's a bit of a way to go until then.  Alzner wouldn't be a terrible plan B, but I wouldn't do anything more than 4-5 years on him.  Same for Oshie.

3 hours ago, lucifer91 said:

Whenever it is, it can't be soon enough.   I understand that after years of success, these types of years are bound to happen.  The thing that sucks is that we are in an area surrounded by Ranger fans.  I get a text from my friend (a ranger fan) at 10:30 saying "Hank passes brodeur for most wins in first twelve seasons hahahaha".  I didn't respond.  I was going to ask how many were shootout wins, but I said F it, just not worth responding.  They seem to pick out some obscure stats.  

Then I walk into Dunkin Donuts (in Sussex County) and the cups have Rangers logos on them.  Needless to say I didn't even bother getting the coffee.  I mean, its the only cup they will have their name on for the last 23 years but still, I couldn't drink out of it.

Fear not, for it's all they have and will ever have. The one Rangers game I'll watch on MSG every month or two, they pull out some weird ass stat that Lundqvist is working towards; it's literally all they have to make the fans happy. "Most saves in first period and a half of hockey games!" "Most Game 7 wins!" "Fewest rebounds allowed per 5v5 min." and sh!t like that that gets the Rangers fans planning parades for him.

• Like 2

Fear not, for it's all they have and will ever have. The one Rangers game I'll watch on MSG every month or two, they pull out some weird ass stat that Lundqvist is working towards; it's literally all they have to make the fans happy. "Most saves in first period and a half of hockey games!" "Most Game 7 wins!" "Fewest rebounds allowed per 5v5 min." and sh!t like that that gets the Rangers fans planning parades for him.

'Lundqvist passes Brodeur for most wins on Mondays in non-leap years!' 'Lundqvist becomes the winningest goaltender in NHL history in games contested between February and March in years ending in a prime number!' 'Lundqvist becomes the NHL's all time leader in saves against guys whose last names start with the letter D!' [emoji849]  The media (particularly the NY media and outlets like NHL Network) really goes to great lengths to pump his tires.

• Like 4

The simple response to the comment in the first paragraph is to ask how many Stanley Cups the Queen has won with the Rangers.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

The first two games went about as I thought it would, re:  Devils and Penguins...but when the Devils went into Pittsburgh and shut them out in back to back games, to the tune of 8-0 combined, that's when I was thinking "What the hell is wrong with the Penguins?"  Of course I was thrilled with those outcomes, but for Pens to come out like they just didn't want to play, in their own building no less...was just very strange...that series has always stuck with me for that reason.  This topic has come up before and Tri mentioned that Jagr (who only scored 2 goals in 16 playoff games after another big regular season), who was traded to Washington that offseason, might have already checked out.  He also rightly pointed out that those Pens were VERY top-heavy...basically five very productive forwards, and not much else...and a goalie in Hedberg who had come out of nowhere, and was being asked to help get his team to the SCF. 

Re:  Keenan, depending on who you believe, supposedly Messier was pretty much coaching the team more and more...much of the team had apparently come to regard Keenan as being completely off his rocker.  Some feel that the Rangers won that Cup more in spite of Keenan's presence than anything else.  I actually ran into him once, in the 90s in the St. Louis airport during a layover (he was the Blues' HC at the time)...he was actually pretty friendly.  We were walking in opposite directions and we made eye contact, so I said "Hi Mr. Keenan."  He stopped and said hello back, then asked what team I root for, so I told him.  He answered, "Oh geez, you must not be a big fan of mine.  That was a tough series, came right down to the end."  Then we said our goodbyes and moved on.  I don't know exactly what I was expecting, but he was definitely different than what I would've figured. 

That Bernier major penalty just killed the Devils.  Of course trailing 3 games to zilch at one point in that series didn't help (no more mulligans), but that penalty just seem to kill Game 6 before it ever had much of a chance to breathe...not all one player's fault of course, but that was just such a costly AND stupid penalty to take.  Then of course another LA goal to start the second period, and that was that...no way the Devils were ever coming back from 4-0, especially with the way Quick was playing.    

I thought the Pens would at least push that series 6. But I never thought they'd win. That Devils team was too complete. They had a great offense, a much better defense with the checking line of Madden, Pandolfo and Stevenson. Plus Brodeur. Pittsburgh couldn't deal with their tenaciousness. If you have the right combo and can turn mistakes into goals, you usually will win in these series. Having that added grit helps. Madden drove Mario nuts. He called him "Ace" and Lemieux dropped the puck to him thinking it was a teammate. He lost his mind at the end taking a penalty. I still say the '00-01 Devils were the most talented roster they ever had. They should've repeated. But got by on talent for a majority of the season. They should've beaten the Avs without Forsberg. That was a weird series. Neither Brodeur or Roy were great. Marty had that awful Game 6 allowing the Foote goal which deflated them. What did it end up? 4-0? It surprised me that Marty got outplayed by Roy. But it wasn't like Roy was great. But he did the job. 

Similar to how Brodeur outplayed Lundqvist in 2012. But they won in large part due to unforeseen contributions from the fourth line of Carter, Gionta and Bernier. That line killed us. In Game 5, I knew they were gonna come back from the 3-0 deficit. Even predicted it to my Dad. They tied it and then Carter scores the winner. That killed me. Those are the random things you can't predict about the playoffs. Like Salvador having that big postseason and getting that contract. A lot of you hated Salvador. But without him, the Devils don't make that run with a 40-year old Marty. I don't think you trade that even if they didn't get the end result. 

I have friends that still complain over the Bernier boarding major. They still would've been up against it to win Game 6 and bring the series back home. LA was pretty tough. Quick was out of his head. When the Rangers played them a couple of years later, it was mostly the awful third periods that doomed them at Staples Center. Plus a couple of controversial non-calls for goaltender interference involving Dwight King. Some of our fans are still sore over that. Maybe if they didn't sit back so much, they would've won the game they needed and who knows. Fact is they blew leads in each and lost in overtime. I was with coworkers for Game 5 at the bar for the crazy double overtime loss. Blown power play chances. Kreider's breakaway which I thought he had until Quick robbed him. And then Alec Martinez. :\ He also beat the Blackhawks. He's a good defenseman now too. When he scored, they turned it off. So, I didn't see the handshake or Kings celebration. It was odd. I still would've liked to seen the handshake. 

That's the playoffs in a nutshell. Forgot to mention. I enjoyed your story CR about meeting Keenan. At least he was nice. Once, I saw Darryl Sutter before a Sharks/Devils game when I was working production truck for the Devs. I said "hi," and he just gave me this evil stare. Unpleasant. Haha. From that point on, he's known as Scrooge. Other players or coaches I met were nicer.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

'Lundqvist passes Brodeur for most wins on Mondays in non-leap years!' 'Lundqvist becomes the winningest goaltender in NHL history in games contested between February and March in years ending in a prime number!' 'Lundqvist becomes the NHL's all time leader in saves against guys whose names start with the letter D!' emoji849.png  

The media (particularly the NY media and outlets like NHL Network) really goes to great lengths to pump his tires.

Who cares. I think him winning 30 or more in 11 of 12 seasons is a great accomplishment. Even if shootout induced, it shows how consistent he's been throughout his career. Lundqvist was a 7th round pick. It makes it pretty special. You don't have to like him. But he's one of the classiest athletes I've ever seen. As for the record books, he'll wind up in the top 5 all-time in wins and is a Hall of Famer. He's been a bit unlucky. They've never had a superstar who could carry them because they didn't tank like Chicago or Pittsburgh. And because the organization hasn't always made the right decisions. Due to not addressing the lack of grit, they're probably one and done again. Though Tanner Glass scoring made me smile. 

33 minutes ago, DJ Eco said:

I haven't watching non-Devils broadcasts much these past year or so.  They really do this?  That's insane and embarassing if they do.  Just wow.

Derek, re:  the 2000-01 Devils...for me, it was more that they simply peaked too early...I posted a thread about that team's 22-2-0 run (they scored 96 goals and allowed just 46, and some of the offensive numbers that players were putting up during that run were sick for the era...Elias notched 19 goals and 23 assists, and the A-liners combined for 98 points, for starters).

Here is a link to that thread:  http://njdevs.com/forums/index.php?/topic/134176-the-most-dominant-stretch-of-hockey-in-devils-history-226-to-4172/

They just couldn't keep clicking like that forever...to me, that run was when the franchise peaked on the ice, even though they didn't win the Cup that season, and would win one two seasons later...they could do everything, and were an incredibly entertaining watch, and playing so much better than everyone else, even with Brodeur still not doing his best puckstopping.  I think the Penguins damned near laying down in their series against the Devils had them believing that all was well again, when it really wasn't.  The 2000-01 SCF wasn't played particularly well by either team, really, and Brodeur was really inconsistent and overall not terribly good either in the regular season OR the playoffs that year.  That was the one season I remember being nervous about him, and not feeling terribly confident.

I was with some Devils fans in a hotel bar for Game 6, and that Game 6 was very strange.  All Brodeur said about it in his book was "I played indifferently", and that about summed it up for everyone involved with the Devils that day.  They had a chance to win a Cup on their home ice, their second straight, and there just didn't seem to be any urgency or emotion at all.  The Avs scored 7 straight goals over Games 6 and 7, before the Devils finally scored one last goal (on the PP) to make it 3-1.  I know the Avs were obviously trying to win those games too, so they deserve all the credit of course...but Brodeur's book is telling, in that he bitched about how the Devils handled travel arrangements between Games 6 and 7 (I forget the details), and was also bitching about the Avs doing a lot of talking to the refs during stoppages in play, supposedly to give their Top 4 D-men extra time to rest, so that they could stay on the ice longer.  As much as I'll always love Brodeur, it almost sounds like he (and possibly other teammates) were worrying about the wrong things...and maybe starting to feel a bit entitled.  But for Devils fans, every now and then that 2001 "Why didn't they get it done?" question comes up, as that team was so good and wasn't far removed from playing its best hockey of its history.   

And to be clear, I don't think that LA won strictly because of Bernier, and I don't think the Devils were ever coming back from 3 games down, and they still easily could've lost Game 6.  But that penalty definitely sealed the deal, without any doubt. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, Derek21 said:

Who cares. I think him winning 30 or more in 11 of 12 seasons is a great accomplishment. Even if shootout induced, it shows how consistent he's been throughout his career. Lundqvist was a 7th round pick. It makes it pretty special. You don't have to like him. But he's one of the classiest athletes I've ever seen. As for the record books, he'll wind up in the top 5 all-time in wins and is a Hall of Famer. He's been a bit unlucky. They've never had a superstar who could carry them because they didn't tank like Chicago or Pittsburgh. And because the organization hasn't always made the right decisions. Due to not addressing the lack of grit, they're probably one and done again. Though Tanner Glass scoring made me smile. 

With regards to the bold, I don't disagree with that.  I just find it ironic that on one hand a lot of ranger fans will put down brodeur saying that he is overrated but then on the other hand always have to compare Lundqvist to Marty. 

49 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

I haven't watching non-Devils broadcasts much these past year or so.  They really do this?  That's insane and embarassing if they do.  Just wow.

They do, I have seen some real odd stats that they cherry pick.  and the next day that's all the fans talk about.

They do, I have seen some real odd stats that they cherry pick.  and the next day that's all the fans talk about.

They constantly compare Lundqvist to Marty (despite regularly saying Marty is overrated) because they know Marty isn't ACTUALLY overrated (this is something Rag fans say to sound like tough guys, but know isn't remotely close to true) and they feel they have to pump their guy's tires because they know Lundqvist, by virtue of playing his entire career in the Tri-State area, will always be in the shadow of the winningest goalie in the history of the sport (and arguably the greatest of all-time).

• Like 1

On 3/7/2017 at 3:26 PM, '7' said:

I think I know the play your talking about. It may have hit the post but it was a crazy play. Basically Richer received a drop pass and unloaded a massive slap shot that Richter deadened with his pad...the rebound went too far to his left. MacLean was heading to the net along with Nicholls about to stuff it home...then the puck was swatted somewhere. It was a total mass of humanity and skates. Puck may have gone off the post there, but not on the original Richer shot.

I must have replayed that play 1000 times on my VCR..........cringing every time. It almost went off of Nicholls skate and I'm convinced somehow, someway, ot would have been waved off

2 hours ago, CHIP72 said:

The simple response to the comment in the first paragraph is to ask how many Stanley Cups the Queen has won with the Rangers.

Needs to get going if he wants to catch up to Marty in Vezina's too. What's the "king" have so far? 1?

11 minutes ago, Jimmy Leeds said:

I must have replayed that play 1000 times on my VCR..........cringing every time. It almost went off of Nicholls skate and I'm convinced somehow, someway, ot would have been waved off

It wouldn't have been a distinct kicking motion though, but could you imagine the nightmare? No doubt the league would've taken that goal off the board.

MacLean came like a centimeter away from swatting it in off the rebound. And that goal definitely would've stood.

• Like 1

It wouldn't have been a distinct kicking motion though, but could you imagine the nightmare? No doubt the league would've taken that goal off the board.

MacLean came like a centimeter away from swatting it in off the rebound. And that goal definitely would've stood.

Yeah if we scored and it got waved off and then we lost, that would've been 10 times worse... As it was, I barely spoke for two days after that series- if we had lost after having the series winning goal waved off, they would've needed to haul me away to a facility lol.

15 hours ago, Derek21 said:

As far as wins go, though you obviously have to have considerable talent to win a boatload of games, high win totals will always speak much more about pure durability, regardless of shootouts/no shootouts...you can't win a lot of games unless you're playing in a lot of games (though Ken Dryden was an exception, albeit somewhat short-term)...and it goes without saying the ONLY reason you're playing in a lot of games for several seasons on end is because you're clearly at least above average in what you do over that time frame, and Lundqvist is definitely that...like you said, even if he doesn't get the hardware, he'll go into the HOF.  And even the best goalies can only do much for awful and mediocre teams...you can't win a lot of games as an NHL goalie if you're stuck playing on sh!tty teams year after year, even if you're mostly good to very good (see Schneider, Cory).  So high win totals for goalies are both a testament to durability and long-term team quality. 

What makes many Ranger fans annoying (aside from the usual) is that the same ones who would say (while completely ignoring the shootout rule, which clearly added to Lundqvist's win total to date) "Duuuuuuuhhhhh, Lundqvist's won more games dan Brodewr in his furst twelve see-zuns, so he's bettah!" are the same ones who would say "Duuuuuuuuuuuuhhhh, da only ree-zun dat Brodewr broke Wah's record waz becuz of da shoo-dowts!"  Even if those fans had a point originally, that became moot once Marty later "broke" the record again on the strength of "just" his career regulation and OT wins, and even when you eliminate his shootout wins (he had 42), he still has 649 regulation/OT wins for his career.   

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

They just couldn't keep clicking like that forever...to me, that run was when the franchise peaked on the ice, even though they didn't win the Cup that season, and would win one two seasons later...they could do everything, and were an incredibly entertaining watch, and playing so much better than everyone else, even with Brodeur still not doing his best puckstopping.  I think the Penguins damned near laying down in their series against the Devils had them believing that all was well again, when it really wasn't.  The 2000-01 SCF wasn't played particularly well by either team, really, and Brodeur was really inconsistent and overall not terribly good either in the regular season OR the playoffs that year.  That was the one season I remember being nervous about him, and not feeling terribly confident.

I was with some Devils fans in a hotel bar for Game 6, and that Game 6 was very strange.  All Brodeur said about it in his book was "I played indifferently", and that about summed it up for everyone involved with the Devils that day.  They had a chance to win a Cup on their home ice, their second straight, and there just didn't seem to be any urgency or emotion at all.  The Avs scored 7 straight goals over Games 6 and 7, before the Devils finally scored one last goal (on the PP) to make it 3-1.  I know the Avs were obviously trying to win those games too, so they deserve all the credit of course...

That was simply a great team.  After winning game 5 in Colorado, they just took it to the Devs.  I do recall in Game 7, when it was either scoreless or down 1-0, Sykora ripping a slapshot that completely beat Roy, but hit the post. Despite not scoring there, Roy had a tremendous ability to be shaken up getting beat with shots that far out (it was just inside the blue line) and I still feel that if Petr scores there, Roy may not have recovered.   Alas.......what can you do.

It's funny, prior to the '02-'03 season, Lou came and spoke at a small breakfast in Howell about the State of the Devils. After he spoke, he sat at my table and I was able to chat with him privately. One of the things I expressed was my frustration that the Devs "could" have won several Cups at that point.............Lou smiled and (paraphrasing) said, "I like to focus on the positives".......lol

• Like 3