GDT - Devils @ Blue Jackets 3/7/17

NJDfan1711

37 minutes ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

I don't know what paper tiger means, but that sounds adorable.

Also, if anyone is watching the waning seconds of a 2-0 defeat coming on the heels of a 3-0 defeat, and thinking "I can't be any angrier than I am now" -- they really need to check out your post game comments on how amazing we played. 

Here's the funny thing.  If we win an ugly game, you would bitch and moan.  It doesn't matter if we won, it only matters that they played poorly.

But yet here, they play a good game and lose.  So what you're saying is style points only mean something when they win.  You can't have it both ways.

Full disclosure, I watched about 15 minutes of the first period. 9-19-21 had two pretty nice shifts at the end, but the rest of the team is unwatchable. Really, it hurts to sit on the couch and watch this kind of futility. I'm going to revert to the fan of 3 years ago who didn't give a damn about any of the stats and relied on my eyes: this team is terrible in all three zones and all the call ups with jersey numbers in the 40's and 50's haven't given me any reason to think that they are NHL'ers. 

But, that's what you'd expect post-deadline in a losing season, so I'll just turn my attention to Shero pulling off some minor miracles. I still believe that this team is only a few reasonable pieces from fighting for a playoff spot or even making the post-season. I guess we'll hope for another big summer and for the love of God get 9 a real #1 C to play with and let 19 do his shutdown thing against the opposing team's top line. We can order #1 C's on Amazon or something, right?

Edited by NLinfante
  • Like 2

we've been shutout 3 times in our last 4 games.

I really want to just sell off all the remaining games I have for this season. I have close to no desire to even watch them anymore, this is honestly worse than 2014-15. I'm excited for this offseason but the last stretch here is like watching bloody murder. Fvck

7 hours ago, Mike Brown said:

RECAP

• That's how you play winning hockey.
  • Devils were easily the better team, and played exactly how you need to play to win games.
  • Columbus is a paper tiger.
  • Kinkaid was excellent.

EVEN STRENGTH POSSESSION

• CF: 50 to 49, 50.51%
  • FF: 40 to 34, 54.05%
  • SF: 31 to 22, 58.49%

Sometimes it's really hard to justify my love for the Devils these days, but I've just got to keep looking for that ray of light at the end of the tunnel.  Feel bad for Hall and his goal being disallowed, but in fairness, it definitely wasn't borderline.  I really hope that I live to tell stories of future Cup-winning teams, but for now, I guess I'll remember the good ol' days.  Someone on this team really needs to start burnin' up...maybe Palms can get into the groove again.  But I'm with '7'...as much as it's become en vogue to rip the Devils for sucking, I'm not going to express myself like that.  At least the Devils aren't in a league of their own, in terms of how much they're struggling to win.

8 minutes ago, jagknife said:

I see I missed another riveting night of Devils' hockey...

They try, but it just feels like they're never going to score.  I think Hall now has 6 goals in his last 37 GP...it's just hard to fathom. 

4 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

They try, but it just feels like they're never going to score.  I think Hall now has 6 goals in his last 37 GP...it's just hard to fathom. 

They honestly didn't play badly yesterday, but the first (and aside from the empty net, only) goal was a defensive lapse plus a goalie without a stick. If we had any kind of offense at all, it wouldn't have been an issue.

But an anemic offense against arguably a top 2 or 3 goalie, and you get what you get.

A big, fat zero. 

5 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Sometimes it's really hard to justify my love for the Devils these days, but I've just got to keep looking for that ray of light at the end of the tunnel.  Feel bad for Hall and his goal being disallowed, but in fairness, it definitely wasn't borderline.  I really hope that I live to tell stories of future Cup-winning teams, but for now, I guess I'll remember the good ol' days.  Someone on this team really needs to start burnin' up...maybe Palms can get into the groove again.  But I'm with '7'...as much as it's become en vogue to rip the Devils for sucking, I'm not going to express myself like that.  At least the Devils aren't in a league of their own, in terms of how much they're struggling to win.

This is fantastic and deserves recognition. 

Oh and I can't wait for the St. Pats game because we need a Holiday..,some time to celebrate. 

Edited by mfitz804

4 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Oh and I can't wait for the St. Pats game because we need a Holiday..,some time to celebrate. 

Just make sure you don't drink too much green beer, or things might get a little crazy for you.

6 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I I love having something to play for and hope to be in the playoff picture, but I don't think any of us thought that was realistic this season. The pressure goes on some of these players, from wherever, and the play dips. Palms was under a new contract this year, played in the world cup, maybe felt like he had some shoes to fill, as opposed to last season, and it got to him. Not saying it was necessarily management, could have just been the pressure he put on himself.

42 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

The St. Pats retro game will be the first one I am going to in person since the Kings game (which I think was mid to late January).  Longest time I have not gone to any games in person during the season in years.

The kicker is that 90% of the reason why I am going is because I pre-ordered one of the retro game worn jerseys and want to see it in action in person.  I guess the hockey game may or may not be a bonus.

16 hours ago, Mike Brown said:

RECAP

• That's how you play winning hockey.
  • Devils were easily the better team, and played exactly how you need to play to win games.
  • Columbus is a paper tiger.
  • Kinkaid was excellent.

EVEN STRENGTH POSSESSION

• CF: 50 to 49, 50.51%
  • FF: 40 to 34, 54.05%
  • SF: 31 to 22, 58.49%

Just because you out-possess a opponent and outshoot them doesn't guarantee success. The Rangers have a losing record when they have more shots and are something like 26-6 when being out-shot. Corsi is a good measure of possession. It summarizes what we see during shifts. I don't need charts to tell me whether my team is struggling. I can tell it from paying attention. Sometimes, your goalie can steal a game. Bobrovsky is one of the best at it. Lundqvist did it last night and Raanta on Monday. If you have a goalie who can make the big stops and steal two points, then you're ahead of the game. 

To your comment that the Blue Jackets are a "paper tiger." Are you kidding? What is this based on? One or two games. I will say this about that team. They are tough to play against. They have physical guys like Dubinsky and Jenner who are pests. Gritty ones like Calvert and Hartnell. And skilled types like Atkinson, who might be the most underrated star in the game. He is up to 30 goals and is money on breakaways. Not to mention guys like Wennberg, Saad, Foligno and Anderson. The blue line has been totally rebuilt thanks to the trade of Johansen for Jones. Werenski is a stud. Jack Johnson doesn't have to be the guy anymore. Savard is highly underrated. They've improved. They play a gritty game which can work in the playoffs. Plus have a nice mix of skill types with speed. They're well coached.

The only question is the lack of experience. They are my sleeper to make a run if they can get through a potential first round with the Pens. Big if. It's not favorable. But Dubinsky relishes facing Crosby and has done well against them this year. Bobrovsky can steal games. He's that good. If it doesn't happen this year for Columbus, it could in the next couple of years. 

1 hour ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I I love having something to play for and hope to be in the playoff picture, but I don't think any of us thought that was realistic this season. The pressure goes on some of these players, from wherever, and the play dips. Palms was under a new contract this year, played in the world cup, maybe felt like he had some shoes to fill, as opposed to last season, and it got to him. Not saying it was necessarily management, could have just been the pressure he put on himself.

For me, making the playoffs wasn't necessarily something I thought was realistic this year, but what I did think was realistic, and typically to be expected by most fans, and rightfully so, was for us to be better than last year.   Last season we didn't miss the playoffs by too much, and if we improved this year over last then we would have been even closer, but to your point, realistically, I thought we'd still fall a little short again.  That's not what has happened though.  We aren't improved over last year.  We added DSP late last year, and he started off nice, but this year he has shown he's really not much more than a 4th liner, if that.  Other guys like Henrique and Plamieri are having good seasons, but unfortunately not what they did last year.  Then you have someone like JJ, who still hasn't found any semblance of a knack for scoring.  Then a guy like Cammalleri who continues to have on and off health issues, albeit minor ones.  And then of course the regression of the defense in a few respects -- obviously losing Larsson, and adding guys like Quincey and Lovejoy who haven't helped this team become better.  

The thing that's most troublesome is the goal scoring.  Make no mistake about it, I have no problem with our "traditional" defensive style of play that we employed for years.  When we played the trap, I loved it.  We suffocated teams and they couldn't do anything about it.  And as we got really good at it, and added skilled forwards to our team, we saw in the late 90s and early 2000s that the trap could be employed AND you could have a high scoring team.  A lot of those teams that smothered opponents defensively often led to chances going the other way and good offensive opportunities for our forwards.  It was fun.  And best of all, we were winning.  Even if the games were 1-0, 2-1, 3-1, etc. We were winning.  But now, we're not scoring, AND we're not winning.  I can't take that.  At least at the end of games between the years of roughly 93-2005 we had a reason to stand up a cheer.  Sure, maybe it wasn't often during the game itself because we didn't always score much, but we stood up at the end because the score on the giant board above center ice was in our favor.  Now though, that scoreboard rarely favors us, and we still don't cheer during games.  Three shutouts in the past four?  Ouch.  That's depressing.  If we're going to lose 50-60% of our games, let's do it while putting the puck in the net and lose them 3-2, even 4-2, or 5-3.  But at least give the fans a reason to cheer a little and get excited.  Otherwise, if you cant's score, then bolster your defense to the point that it absolutely stifles teams like it did in the 90s.  I don't always need scoring, but I need something.  If it's not scoring, just give me wins.  We have a good goaltender.  Help him with guys on the blueline and let's just bury teams.  Go back to winning 1-0 and 2-1.  Who cares.  I just want to cheer again.  I really can't do that lately with this team, and it hurts.

Not sure if that makes sense or if anyone else feels the same way.

I just finished watching the game and the thing that pissed me off more than anything else was that Kinkaid stood on his head and made a ton of great saves in a pointless game... Not that we would have made the playoffs anyway but when we actually needed to win the game against the Islanders this guy couldn't stop a shot from me. So annoying. 

Edited by Satans Hockey

19 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

That particular post wasn't meant to be taken that seriously. 

On 3/8/2017 at 2:52 PM, Derek21 said:

Just because you out-possess a opponent and outshoot them doesn't guarantee success. The Rangers have a losing record when they have more shots and are something like 26-6 when being out-shot. Corsi is a good measure of possession. It summarizes what we see during shifts. I don't need charts to tell me whether my team is struggling. I can tell it from paying attention. Sometimes, your goalie can steal a game. Bobrovsky is one of the best at it. Lundqvist did it last night and Raanta on Monday. If you have a goalie who can make the big stops and steal two points, then you're ahead of the game. 

To your comment that the Blue Jackets are a "paper tiger." Are you kidding? What is this based on? One or two games. I will say this about that team. They are tough to play against. They have physical guys like Dubinsky and Jenner who are pests. Gritty ones like Calvert and Hartnell. And skilled types like Atkinson, who might be the most underrated star in the game. He is up to 30 goals and is money on breakaways. Not to mention guys like Wennberg, Saad, Foligno and Anderson. The blue line has been totally rebuilt thanks to the trade of Johansen for Jones. Werenski is a stud. Jack Johnson doesn't have to be the guy anymore. Savard is highly underrated. They've improved. They play a gritty game which can work in the playoffs. Plus have a nice mix of skill types with speed. They're well coached.

The only question is the lack of experience. They are my sleeper to make a run if they can get through a potential first round with the Pens. Big if. It's not favorable. But Dubinsky relishes facing Crosby and has done well against them this year. Bobrovsky can steal games. He's that good. If it doesn't happen this year for Columbus, it could in the next couple of years. 

The Rangers are paper tigers.  I don't see them doing much in the playoffs.  Corsi has been proven to be the best predictive tool for success.  And shots on goal is not the best possession metric.  Shot attempts is.  Scoring chances and shot quality is also rather meaningless for determining long term success.

Columbus doesn't have a good system to have success in the playoffs Minny and Ottawa are two other teams that are in the paper tiger category.  If you have to rely on your goalie to play like a god, then you probably don't have a good team.  Boston did this in 2011, and won the Cup merely because Thomas played like a god.  It's not a reliable method to winning Cups.

If there's a good sleeper team, Boston would be that team.

16 hours ago, Mike Brown said:

The Rangers are paper tigers.  I don't see them doing much in the playoffs.  Corsi has been proven to be the best predictive tool for success.  And shots on goal is not the best possession metric.  Shot attempts is.  Scoring chances and shot quality is also rather meaningless for determining long term success.

Columbus doesn't have a good system to have success in the playoffs Minny and Ottawa are two other teams that are in the paper tiger category.  If you have to rely on your goalie to play like a god, then you probably don't have a good team.  Boston did this in 2011, and won the Cup merely because Thomas played like a god.  It's not a reliable method to winning Cups.

If there's a good sleeper team, Boston would be that team.

Wait aren't the Blue Jackets the paper tigers? Are all teams better than us paper tigers??

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Wait aren't the Blue Jackets the paper tigers? Are all teams better than us paper tigers??

It sure seems that way. I don't get it. Besides, I know the Rangers are "paper tigers." Just look at their style and who coaches them. Columbus mixes it up and has a better defense. But the Metro 2/3 is a match-up nightmare for anyone. I don't think the Pens want to see the Jackets either. They'd much rather play us.

7 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Columbus has the 3rd highest PDO which basically means a lot of luck is at play here.  A lot of that is Bobrovsky.  He's great.  But his SV% is incredibly difficult to sustain.  They're 18th in CA/60, 16th in CF%, and 15th in xGF%.  Good team, but definitely a great team.

1 minute ago, Mike Brown said:

Columbus has the 3rd highest PDO which basically means a lot of luck is at play here.  A lot of that is Bobrovsky.  He's great.  But his SV% is incredibly difficult to sustain.  They're 18th in CA/60, 16th in CF%, and 15th in xGF%.  Good team, but definitely a great team.

I know people like following all these stats now and I don't knock it, it's not my thing but reading a post like this makes me happy that I don't give a sh!t about it.  

• Like 1

I know people like following all these stats now and I don't knock it, it's not my thing but reading a post like this makes me happy that I don't give a sh!t about it.  

Advanced stats are overrated as fvck, and I'm sick of them overtaking sports.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk