2017 NFL Free Agency/offseason thread

MadDog2020

21 hours ago, Daniel said:

I get the sense that everyone sees to know that going for a QB in the top 15 will be a reach.  There's just that herd mentality that once one team pulls the trigger, the rest follow pretty quickly.

Its a QB league, if you donot have a good 1 its really hard if not impossible to win...so teams who donot have 1 are always looking to find 1

Dolphins actually got a guy the Jets really wanted. Jets were trying to keep it quiet but I believe when it came to interviews and workouts Harris was top of the list. Though I don't know what they were waiting for. Harris is a tremendous talent and if the Jets were thinking he may drop into round 2...it just wasn't going to happen. You had to jump up and trade for him

Very happy with Jamal Adams. I think he's absolutely a complete, impact safety who can come in and play in the NFL right away and be a difference maker. No holes in his game. A true leader and somebody who always gives max effort.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Daniel said:

Bears are the new Benny Hill music of the NFL.

You're not kidding...the 49ers gotta be loving this...they not only get the player they wanted anyway, but they get what amounts to three free picks out of the whole thing.  Lynch already looks like a genius, lmao.

5 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

And to top that off the Bears JUST gave Glennon a big deal. To do that and trade for Trubinsky in the same offseason is mind boggling. Talk about being desperate times ten.

I don't think it's desperate...to me this all reeks of having absolutely NO plan whatsoever.  What other explanation is there? 

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I don't think it's desperate...to me this all reeks of having absolutely NO plan whatsoever.  What other explanation is there? 

Listening to various people on the radio, it appears that the Bears can cut Glennon next year with very little pain.  So I guess they really liked Trubitsky and want him to sit for a year.  That's not the worst plan in the world, it's just looks like they got seriously played in giving up all that to move up one spot when they really didn't have to.  You hear that the Bears got the sense that someone else was trying to trade up into that pick, but logic dictates that it had to be a smoke screen, or at least whoever else might have wanted to move up to that spot was not going to draft Trubitsky as it been a hell of a lot to get a non-sure thing QB. 

4 hours ago, '7' said:

Dolphins actually got a guy the Jets really wanted. Jets were trying to keep it quiet but I believe when it came to interviews and workouts Harris was top of the list. Though I don't know what they were waiting for. Harris is a tremendous talent and if the Jets were thinking he may drop into round 2...it just wasn't going to happen. You had to jump up and trade for him

Very happy with Jamal Adams. I think he's absolutely a complete, impact safety who can come in and play in the NFL right away and be a difference maker. No holes in his game. A true leader and somebody who always gives max effort.

Best line I heard on this pick the Jets made was listening to Joe Beningo this morning.  Guy calls in and says not much wrong about the Jets pick.  Beningo says:  "it's the Jets,  what possibly could go wrong??"

5 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

And to top that off the Bears JUST gave Glennon a big deal. To do that and trade for Trubinsky in the same offseason is mind boggling. Talk about being desperate times ten.

.....and ON TOP OF THAT .....to not tell your head coach this plan until hours before the draft.....John Fox has been around enough to at least deserve better than that

.....given Trubinsky might take two years to learn an NFL offense.....but geesh.....

Is there an unwritten rule against lying about the interest other teams have in your draft pick?  I've heard different things, but it sounds like Lynch pretty much lied to Chicago about being in talks with other teams, or at least really exaggerated it.

10 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Is there an unwritten rule against lying about the interest other teams have in your draft pick?  I've heard different things, but it sounds like Lynch pretty much lied to Chicago about being in talks with other teams, or at least really exaggerated it.

I'm sure it's done a lot but how would you ever get found out/called on it?  Unless you specifically said team X made you an offer and they publicly deny it maybe.

It's an actual strategy they employ. Draft/sign talented but troubled players and hope more often than not they work out...because when they do you have an enormous steal and bargain on your hands.

And when they don't, just pray they don't kill somebody

It's a way that they, in a small and generally undesirae market, can build a talented and competitive team on the cheap.

7 minutes ago, '7' said:

It's an actual strategy they employ. Draft/sign talented but troubled players and hope more often than not they work out...because when they do you have an enormous steal and bargain on your hands.

And when they don't, just pray they don't kill somebody

It's a way that they, in a small and generally undesirae market, can build a talented and competitive team on the cheap.

There's no such thing as a small market team in the NFL, at least in the sense that there are teams that can't afford to spend money on talent.  

I saw something on twitter that the guy was only on five teams' boards.  

To quote a Seinfeld episode, that's bad, even by rat hat standards.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
Just now, MadDog2020 said:

Has anyone heard about this Lucky Whitehead story with Dallas? The Cowboys are honestly such a fvcking joke. http://deadsp.in/FJTlAp9

Agreed, Jesus Christ, just admit that you fvcked up big-time and call it a day. 

That being said, they had reason to cut him based on last year's performance and some other issues...he was late to a meeting and fined and de-activated against the Giants, and fumbled three times on the season (losing two of them).  But let's face it, they cut him as a "last straw" move based on something Whitehead clearly didn't do.  ADMIT IT. 

• Like 1