NJ Devils are totally firing John Hynes, right?

fsu1852

Honestly, I don't know.  We've had three coaches over the past four years (Hynes, Oates/Stevens/Lou and DeBoer) and the results have been basically the same.  And this year, Cory has been off his game.  

Maybe if Arizona fires Tippett, we can dump Hynes for him.

I assumed it 3 or 4 months ago. Players don't respect Hynes, lot of fans too. But management don't care

Remind me the Leicester story. With two differences. First, Devils isn't a defending Stanley Cup winners. Second, Leicester management showed respect to the opinion of their players, and fired Ranieri

The piece where Wysh just speculates. Eh. The Devils are a very bad team. You have to look at personnel. They have a captain that is being used as an anchor when on a good team, he's a 2nd pair defenseman. Plus a lot of unfinished products on the back end. Once those players develop and mature, then they'll become better. One more good D prospect in the system. 

Part of the issue is failed players from the Lou Era. That includes signings and draft picks. I feel for Hynes because he wasn't handed a good roster. But I also didn't think they would be this bad. I thought they would be in the mix for the last wildcard but miss out. I changed my mind due to the defense. I also didn't anticipate Schneider being inconsistent. A direct result of the team not being as good. 

I think Hynes will get one more year due to the rebuilding process. They'll wind up with a pretty good pick. But ultimately, he isn't the coach who will bring them back. But who is?

3 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Doubt it. Shero is in love with anything associated with the Penguins and their organization. 

agree, actually it concerns me. I think Ray is a pretty decent GM but a lot of his undoing in Pittsburgh was that he was too loyal to Bylsma as he should have fired him atleast 2 years before he was and actually Shero never did fire him and got canned first.

I am torn on Hynes but I think he stays at least until next year. I am not sold on him and frankly I wouldn't be sad to see him go but really the talent base, or lack there of, is the real problem so it is difficult to evaluate if he deserves the ax or not.

I'm not the biggest fan of John Hynes.  With that being said until he is given a roster where Ray Shero says that the stated expectations for this team are playoffs, it's tough to see him being let go.  The past 2 seasons Shero basically has said he wants the Devils to establish a level of competitiveness, not playoffs.  And when the team was sliding into the abyss in December Shero went publicly apespit on the players.  

12 hours ago, Derek21 said:

The piece where Wysh just speculates. Eh. The Devils are a very bad team. You have to look at personnel. They have a captain that is being used as an anchor when on a good team, he's a 2nd pair defenseman. Plus a lot of unfinished products on the back end. Once those players develop and mature, then they'll become better. One more good D prospect in the system. 

wrong

Not yet. Look what he has to work with.

I agree with Tri, if there arent signs of improvement next year, its time. I am starting to have doubts about him though... I do not like the defensive system he tries to play, and Im starting to worry that he appears to be very very bad at evaluating defensemen.

12 hours ago, Derek21 said:

Part of the issue is failed players from the Lou Era. That includes signings and draft picks. I feel for Hynes because he wasn't handed a good roster. But I also didn't think they would be this bad. I thought they would be in the mix for the last wildcard but miss out. I changed my mind due to the defense. I also didn't anticipate Schneider being inconsistent. A direct result of the team not being as good. 

I think Hynes will get one more year due to the rebuilding process. They'll wind up with a pretty good pick. But ultimately, he isn't the coach who will bring them back. But who is?

totally agree. Also agree with others that he doesn't appear to be the kind of guy to light a fire in the room when there needs to be one.  Solid player although he hasn't been all that impressive this season imo, He certainly appears to be a great guy but I would prefer a guy that showed more emotion outwardly.  An argument could easily be made what's the point with this roster and that would be true,  You can't get water from a rock,

4 hours ago, lazer said:

wrong

Elaborate why you think Andy Greene is a top pair guy. Hell. McDonagh isn't an anchor either. He's overrated. But at least he can play the minutes and produce.

Edited by Derek21

17 hours ago, Daniel said:

Honestly, I don't know.  We've had three coaches over the past four years (Hynes, Oates/Stevens/Lou and DeBoer) and the results have been basically the same.  And this year, Cory has been off his game.  

Maybe if Arizona fires Tippett, we can dump Hynes for him.

Devils hire Tippett, draft Tippett in 1st round?

Greener is a 1-4 D on any team. He's not close to being a Doughtie/Giordano/Ekman Larsson  etc.  

Hynes will not be kicked to the curb this year, but i feel he'll be on a short leash next season. If this a mess by Thanksgiving, Ray will have no choice.

Also, if Shero has another year like this one, I feel major changes will be made.  Marty Broduer will be new GM.

4 hours ago, Derek21 said:

Elaborate why you think Andy Greene is a top pair guy. Hell. McDonagh isn't an anchor either. He's overrated. But at least he can play the minutes and produce.

comparing him to McDonagh is a stawman arguement; greene is vastly underrated and hes an ironman

the age difference is there and its been a rough year for this team in general...if you look at greene stats from when he was 27 they are similar to McDonaghs and if you want to say that McDonagh is not a good top pair captain thats fine to. 

1 hour ago, vadvlfan said:

Greener is a 1-4 D on any team. He's not close to being a Doughtie/Giordano/Ekman Larsson  etc.  

Hynes will not be kicked to the curb this year, but i feel he'll be on a short leash next season. If this a mess by Thanksgiving, Ray will have no choice.

Also, if Shero has another year like this one, I feel major changes will be made.  Marty Broduer will be new GM.

Pass on Marty being a GM here

2 hours ago, vadvlfan said:

There is no way that Marty becomes the new GM.  If Vanderbeek -- who was an owner/fan -- were still the owner, maybe.  But Harris has no sentimental attachment to Marty, which is the only reason he would get the job.

Why is Marty becoming a GM so out of the question? Yzerman has done a great job in Tampa. And Marty has a couple years of FO experience now. 

It's not, but Marty should be a GM with a different organization than the one he became a legend with (like Yzerman) so when the day comes that he inevitably has to be fired, it doesn't tarnish his relationship with the Devils or the fans- look no further than what's happening with Sakic in Colorado.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

Having a bad team doesn't make the coach immune to being fired. He needs to be getting the most out of his players and sending the right message or his job should be on the line. I'm not saying he has or hasn't done those things, but his job shouldn't be safe because the team is bad. Early in the year, my perception was that he wasn't quite handling the group right, but I think the effort level turned around. I don't think he does anything special with the xs and os, but that's something he can get a pass on for now because of the exceptionally bad roster.

My issue is that I don't see Hynes as the guy to run the next competitive team here, and I think Shero nepotism brought him here and is going to keep him here as long as possible. Two USA Hockey pals whose relationship will outlast both of their tenures here, and for them I think building these relationships is more important than having the right guy for a team that'll be bad no matter who's coaching it. This certainly isn't a similar situation to Brett Brown's calculating navigation of a horrible Sixers team.

1 hour ago, Nicomo said:

Why is Marty becoming a GM so out of the question? Yzerman has done a great job in Tampa. And Marty has a couple years of FO experience now. 

I can be wrong but besides Yzerman dont usually former players suck as GMs or in front office positions. Example Sakic and Hextall