Trade Schneider

Devils Pride 26

Going to get worse before it gets better. We suck with him this year, let's leave no doubt next year. Get some pieces to build around. Average goalies have become the running backs of the NHL. Dime a dozen. Great goalies make the difference between good and great teams - folks we ain't going to be good for a while. I've held out hope as long as possible but we just lost to the worst teams in the league. 

By the time we're any good, Schneider will be washed up. 

3 minutes ago, Jas0nMacIsaac said:

Cory Schneider is one of the selling points for FA's to come to NJ. at this point it's too late to trade him. If it was going to get done it should have happened two years ago.

What FA? Shattenkirk? He might be a positive influence, but I'd hesitate to call him a selling point. All he's going to do is ensure we don't bottom out rock bottom style.

No, with a rebound season he is the difference from a 20th place team to a playoff team. If NJ for some reason ends up getting Hischier you have the possibility of adding McLeod, Speers, Quenneville, Hischier and Kelleher in the next two years to an already very young forward crew. NJ is an attractive location being so close to NYC. 

Edited by Jas0nMacIsaac

What's the point of trading him NOW when you still have him under control for a number of years (at about the same contract you'd have to pay a dime a dozen goalie platoon) and you'd be selling at 50 cents on the dollar coming off a career-worst season in a market with a glut of goalies?  They're bad with him anyway if you just want high picks, and there's no generational talent imminent in the draft to be a quick fix.

Edited by NJDevs4978

21 minutes ago, Jas0nMacIsaac said:

Cory Schneider is one of the selling points for FA's to come to NJ. at this point it's too late to trade him. If it was going to get done it should have happened two years ago.

Or at least trade him after he has an actual good season.

• Like 1

Schneider turns 31 next week and has played 10 playoff games.  What are we trading him for that's going to be so valuable?  I mean, I think you could get a late 1st for him, maybe.  But if he goes back to being a .925 goalie next year, that'll look pretty stupid.

• Like 1

What happens when Schneider has a .925% season next year and we finish with the 10th overall pick? More of the same. 

Perhaps you guys are more optimistic than I, but this team is putrid. Next year is going to be a very similar team. More cannon fodder. Trading Schneider would guarantee a top pick next year, in addition to this year. 

It's easy to be fooled by randomness but right now, in addition to being bad, the Devils are also unlucky.

The turn forward will not be easy, but it will involve purging the bad players.  That means Moore, DSP, and this version of Miles Wood - if Wood shows up next season playing like this, he can't do it in the NHL.  The turn forward will involve Zacha taking the next step.  It will involve acquiring some FAs or someone via trade using draft picks or prospects.  But it's not impossible, and even if the Devils do finish 10th next year, they're going to be a better team, and they're going to keep getting better.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NJDevs4978 said:

What's the point of trading him NOW when you still have him under control for a number of years (at about the same contract you'd have to pay a dime a dozen goalie platoon) and you'd be selling at 50 cents on the dollar coming off a career-worst season in a market with a glut of goalies?  They're bad with him anyway if you just want high picks, and there's no generational talent imminent in the draft to be a quick fix.

1 hour ago, Triumph said:

Schneider turns 31 next week and has played 10 playoff games.  What are we trading him for that's going to be so valuable?  I mean, I think you could get a late 1st for him, maybe.  But if he goes back to being a .925 goalie next year, that'll look pretty stupid.

Both of these are true. Trading him now would guarantee you get less value for him. 

14 minutes ago, Triumph said:

It's easy to be fooled by randomness but right now, in addition to being bad, the Devils are also unlucky.

The turn forward will not be easy, but it will involve purging the bad players.  That means Moore, DSP, and this version of Miles Wood - if Wood shows up next season playing like this, he can't do it in the NHL.  The turn forward will involve Zacha taking the next step.  It will involve acquiring some FAs or someone via trade using draft picks or prospects.  But it's not impossible, and even if the Devils do finish 10th next year, they're going to be a better team, and they're going to keep getting better.

I have a hard time swallowing the "unlucky" part right now. What are they unlucky with currently? They were unlucky in the shootout years ago. Now it's ineptitude. 

I think the Devils suffer much more from the lack of good players than too many insufferable bad players. Moore and Dsp can gtfo but other than that who is dragging them down? Hall is creative, Palmieri and Henrique are more hustlers than creators. Hopefully Zacha develops into a creator. By all accounts McLeod sounds like a hustler, same with  Quennville. Really hoping the pick this year is someone with some creativity. 

5 minutes ago, Devils Pride 26 said:

I have a hard time swallowing the "unlucky" part right now. What are they unlucky with currently? They were unlucky in the shootout years ago. Now it's ineptitude. 

I think the Devils suffer much more from the lack of good players than too many insufferable bad players. Moore and Dsp can gtfo but other than that who is dragging them down? Hall is creative, Palmieri and Henrique are more hustlers than creators. Hopefully Zacha develops into a creator. By all accounts McLeod sounds like a hustler, same with  Quennville. Really hoping the pick this year is someone with some creativity. 

I'm not a huge believer in expected goals, but the Devils are last in the league in differential between expected goals and actual goals. I don't even need to be a believer to see that the Devils' shooting percentage at even strength sucks.  And before I get a lot of bullsh!t about how it's always sucked, those players are gone now, and those coaches are gone now.  

Wood is a giant anchor.  DSP is a giant anchor. And they've only played together for 160 minutes.  They both need to go, though if Wood improves he can stay.    

Hall is good.  Bennett is pretty good too - he needs to score more, but so do his linemates, but he can play on a 3rd line for sure.  I like what Blandisi is doing here, he's showing he's someone capable of playing.  How about a 3rd line next year of Cammalleri-Blandisi-Bennett?  Maybe it needs someone better in the corners, but that doesn't sound awful.  Split up Hall and Zajac and find a few wingers for them.  I don't like Vanek but I'm talking myself into him as a winger for Hall.  There'll be guys available for trade because of expansion.

Fixing the blueline is harder.  I've reached the limit of what I feel like typing here, but the Devils aren't this bad.

• Like 5

I think there's no need to trade someone. Just improve RW and D lines

KHL, Finnish, Swedish, Czech, Slovak and even German leagues is full of cheap talent lads. Bring them to Binghampton. Then choose the best of them. Show the road to an NHL. Make their dreams come truth - membership of big boys elite hockey society. And who knows, holding the Stanley Cup. First for them, fourth for us

• Like 1

If you're gonna trade Schneider might as well trade Hall too, which I'm not completely against. I'd just like to see how we're doing by Thanksgiving or Christmas next year before we decide to blow it up or not. Between the regular draft and the expansion draft I still think we might be able to turn things around next season but we'll see.

Edited by Jerzey

Trade Schneider for a 2018 1st rounder packaged with lovejoy who will act as an anchor and make the new team a bottom 5 team. End result: 2 top 5 2018 picks. Win the cup in 2020 backstopped by Jeremy Brodeur . I would say win the cup in 2019, but I think we'd need a year to gel. Just trying to be realistic. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Bumping this thread just for discussion - it's become glaringly clear that Dallas is in desperate need of a goalie.

Hypothetically, what do you guys think we could get from Dallas for Cory?  I'd assume Seguin and Benn are off the table.

I'd argue that a team like Dallas is the exact reason we shouldn't trade him, and if it's not for one of those two (it wouldn't be) then I don't really know who else they have.