Trade Schneider

Devils Pride 26

11 hours ago, Steven M. said:

So you think that with Hall, they wouldn't be making the playoffs this year? Like he's some kind of magical presence that prevents wins?

Maroon should basically give his entire paycheck to McDavid. Put him on any other team and he never comes close to the season he's having.

You can't win without quality D. They upgraded. You also can't win without a great goalie. Talbot is that this year. It's not how many goals you score. But how many you prevent. Talbot deserves inclusion for the Vezina.

I refuse to believe they couldn't have upgraded their defense sufficiently without giving up one of the best left wings in the game. It was a stupid deal, making the playoffs doesn't absolve them of it, and Larsson isn't some savior that we all thought he'd be. They honestly would've probably been better off asking for Severson from us.

Severson is younger and they probably wanted to keep him over Larsson, who had a movable and workable contract. Funny enough. I envisioned a Severson for Hall deal the year before. But it turned out to be Larsson. Larsson fits into Edmonton's top 4. That shouldn't be underestimated. McDavid is a great great player. Not complete yet. But he will put up 100 points a year and win scoring titles and contend for MVP's. Of course, you need that caliber player in a rebuild. They finally got it. It took long enough. How many times did they win the lottery? The Sabres didn't do too badly with Eichel. He's quietly been on a tear since the second half and is basically a point-per-game. 

I think it's harder to stay competitive without a top 10 pick. Say like the Red Wings. SI had this great piece on The Joe. I finished reading it yesterday. How they drafted so well and landed gold mines like Lidstrom, Fedorov, Datsyuk and Zetterberg. Their scouting was unreal and the biggest reason for the streak. It will end this year. Ironically, Datsyuk went home following another first round exit. Gordie Howe passed as did Ilitch. It's amazing how consistent they were. It takes a lot to stay that competitive for so long. In the long run, Detroit is better off hitting a lull now. They can rebuild for the future and finally land a high pick.

9 hours ago, Derek21 said:

Severson is younger and they probably wanted to keep him over Larsson, who had a movable and workable contract. Funny enough. I envisioned a Severson for Hall deal the year before. But it turned out to be Larsson. Larsson fits into Edmonton's top 4. That shouldn't be underestimated. McDavid is a great great player. Not complete yet. But he will put up 100 points a year and win scoring titles and contend for MVP's. Of course, you need that caliber player in a rebuild. They finally got it. It took long enough. How many times did they win the lottery? The Sabres didn't do too badly with Eichel. He's quietly been on a tear since the second half and is basically a point-per-game. 

I think it's harder to stay competitive without a top 10 pick. Say like the Red Wings. SI had this great piece on The Joe. I finished reading it yesterday. How they drafted so well and landed gold mines like Lidstrom, Fedorov, Datsyuk and Zetterberg. Their scouting was unreal and the biggest reason for the streak. It will end this year. Ironically, Datsyuk went home following another first round exit. Gordie Howe passed as did Ilitch. It's amazing how consistent they were. It takes a lot to stay that competitive for so long. In the long run, Detroit is better off hitting a lull now. They can rebuild for the future and finally land a high pick.

And not even that...they would uncover gold mines every year seemingly and seemingly inconsequential vets would step in and play huge roles and play well. Johan Franzen, Dan Cleary, they took on Bertuzzi...the most hated man in hockey, and he worked out for them. Mikael Samuelsson, an aging Matt Schneider. They got great value out of Filppula (3rd rounder) Darren Helm (5th round)

They hit on so damn much. 

• 3 months later...

Why would you bump this now AFTER the Johansson trade?  If anything I thought this was bumped yesterday.

2 hours ago, CarpathianForest said:

Yeah, but where? He's coming off a pretty underwhelming season.

There's that and the fact few contending teams really need a goalie.

1 hour ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Why would you bump this now AFTER the Johansson trade?  If anything I thought this was bumped yesterday.

There's that and the fact few contending teams really need a goalie.

Perhaps might've been the worst timing in the world, trade broke minutes after I bumped this :ph34r:

• 8 months later...

Why bump this when there are two other threads eviscerating Cory.  Because you were 'right' about him being washed up when the team was good?   He shouldn't be washed up at 30! (yes I know he's 31, I"m going by his age when he started this slide into total loserdom).  Fvcking Lundqvist is 36 and still going strong with a lot more miles on his tires.  Same with Luongo in Florida.

And you obviously 'can't' trade him now so again I don't see the point.  Might as well have just linked your post in the other Cory thread to be an I told you so.

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Why bump this when there are two other threads eviscerating Cory.  Because you were 'right' about him being washed up when the team was good?   He shouldn't be washed up at 30! (yes I know he's 31, I"m going by his age when he started this slide into total loserdom).  Fvcking Lundqvist is 36 and still going strong with a lot more miles on his tires.  Same with Luongo in Florida.

Especially interesting because he's a "low mileage" goalie - he has 368 GP at age 31.  You'd think he has a ton of good, healthy hockey left.

8 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

And you obviously 'can't' trade him now so again I don't see the point.  Might as well have just linked your post in the other Cory thread to be an I told you so.

There were signs there that Cory could fall off this season going into it, some refused to acknowledge them. 

27 minutes ago, Devils Pride 26 said:

There were signs there that Cory could fall off this season going into it, some refused to acknowledge them. 

Oh please...the guy had one poor season on a lousy team prior to this one.  There was every reason to think that it could just be an isolated bad year, and that he might be able to bounce back.

And it looked like he was until this brutal slump...he was 17-6-4 with a .923 save% through 12/27.  He's now in a brutal funk for sure, and he needs to be much much better.  He knows it, and so does everyone else.  The fact that he's not THAT far removed from sustained good play (10 games ago, as far as Cory goes) is at least reason for some level of hope. 

Not saying that I'm not concerned about him about at all, but I think it's too early to gleefully declare him dead, as you seem to be doing. 

• Like 1

I don't think it's time to trade or buyout Cory, but I do think the organization needs to give their situation in net a good hard look in the summer. Realistically the Devils won't need to make any difficult roster decisions cap-wise for another two years, so we can afford to hang on to Cory even if he's still floating around a .912SV%. I think the best scenario is to find someone that can play in a 1A-1B scenario so we can ride the hot hand instead of being bootstrapped to just one guy. Right now our fallbacks are Kinkaid and Lack, and that's not good enough if Schneider is struggling. I would be heavily in favor of making a run at someone like Robin Lehner or Michal Neuvirth in the summer to give us something more stable in net, I'm sure there's team's around the league like a Vancouver that would take Kinkaid for a mid-round pick so I wouldn't worry about KK still being under contract.

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Oh please...the guy had one poor season on a lousy team prior to this one.  There was every reason to think that it could just be an isolated bad year, and that he might be able to bounce back.

And it looked like he was until this brutal slump...he was 17-6-4 with a .923 save% through 12/27.  He's now in a brutal funk for sure, and he needs to be much much better.  He knows it, and so does everyone else.  The fact that he's not THAT far removed from sustained good play (10 games ago, as far as Cory goes) is at least reason for some level of hope. 

Not saying that I'm not concerned about him about at all, but I think it's too early to gleefully declare him dead, as you seem to be doing. 

Wrong side of 30, worst save % of career, 2nd season in a row. I’m not saying he’s dead, but I don’t think he’ll be anything more than average with hot and cold streaks. And he isn’t being paid like an average goaltender. 

9 minutes ago, Devils Pride 26 said:

Wrong side of 30, worst save % of career, 2nd season in a row. I’m not saying he’s dead, but I don’t think he’ll be anything more than average with hot and cold streaks. And he isn’t being paid like an average goaltender. 

Plenty of goalies have success well in their early, mid, and sometimes even late 30s...and it's not like Cory has played nearly as many games as some other goalies his age.  To imply that you saw this coming after just ONE BAD YEAR is nonsense.  There was every reason to believe he'd fully bounce back.   

We'll see if he's going to be inconsistent and roughly average overall going forward.  Hopefully not.  His contract alone and Blackwood's very iffy future pretty much dictates that Cory is going to get at least all of next year to have a good season throughout, unless he's truly disastrous...at which point I'm not sure what Shero does.  I don't think KK can be realistically relied upon to handle weeks of playing #1 minutes.  The organization already showed you what it thinks of Lack, and Appleby is just another question mark.  Knowing Shero I think he'd at least explore bringing in someone else with starter's experience, but it will be tricky.   

None of us know anywhere near enough to know whether he's done or not. None of us know if he is still affected by injury (the one he was out with OR something else). I think he can still have a bounce back year. And his age is not as relevant to me as the number of games he's played is, a 31 year old with less than 400 games is much different than a 31 year old with 800 games. 

That said, he seems unfocused and unconfident, and I hope he can turn it around. If he continues this way this season, I would not be against listening to offers. I would, though, be against KK being our starter. It was only a week ago when KK was playing so badly that everyone was saying we only had a chance if Cory came back soon. 

But that's NJDevs for you in a nutshell. One good game and you're a king, one bad streak and you're the goat. I.e. I know Taylor Hall had points in 26 games until last night, but he had no points and I think no shots on goal last night, at least up until the third he was shotless. So he cost us that game last night and he better figure out his issues and contribute before the next game!

• Like 2