GDT - NYR at Devils 3-21 7pm

Satans Hockey

12 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Only way it could've been better is if Lundqvist took an errant puck to the face while sitting on the bench.  

I'd prefer if he was on the ice today...the king of nothing.

3 minutes ago, thecoffeecake said:

Does Miles Wood have any idea where he is?

Yes, he's in the woods.

Nice game to be at.

Whoever said it was empty earlier in the thread - it wasn't. This was a "Devils sellout" in that there were probably 500 empty seats scattered around but still full enough to call it a sellout. I'd say about 40% Rangers fans for this one but they weren't as vocal as they have been in the past. Sure there were LGR chants. And there was some schmuck who eventually got thrown out in section 5 who kept taking his shirt off. But that happens at every NJ-NYR game.

That fight put energy that was sort of missing into the game. It was nice to see Quennville and Blandisi do some things during the game - they could be very good 3rd line/PP guys.

Hall was very good but still tries too often to force the play going one on four.

Very nice game by Cory even with the loosey changeup goal on goal 1.

Really liked Severson's game.

I thought Merrill was really pretty bad - a bunch of turnovers and just unsure of himself. Hopefully this isn't what he really is (like last year) and is more like he was last month when he played well with santini.

And of course, Miles Wood. He's frustrating in that there's talent there but not sure the head will be there to go with it. But of course, I loved him tonight. He might be a perfect 4th liner on a really good team. It's funny - the Devils have a bunch of guys that can make up a really nice bottom six. The issue is they need 3 more top 6 forwards.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, sundstrom said:

Nice game to be at.

Whoever said it was empty earlier in the thread - it wasn't. This was a "Devils sellout" in that there were probably 500 empty seats scattered around but still full enough to call it a sellout.

The traffic was terrible today, looked like it had a lot of people arriving late. I saw people keep showing up even more than halfway throug  the first period. I agree with the 60-40ish thing, but might have been closer to 50-50. Our fan base sucks when it comes to this subject and it's beating a dead horse at this point. 

I'm just thrilled they got a win for those of us who showed up. 

19 minutes ago, eldon said:

The Wood locker room interview with Fischler was priceless. 

He's a young kid. This is a whole new experience for him. He's like a wild horse. He just needs to be tamed, and he'll be running at the Belmont. 

Maybe. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

Uhhh how does this work

Screenshot_20170321-220046.png

Wasn't watching the game but checked my phone and got the same thing, I did a double take and was thinking it was just my luck to miss the first multiple goal overtime win in NHL history.

• Like 2

Thank god they played well tonight and came away with the W!  We had these moron Rags fans sitting behind us talking about how afraid they were of losing Kreider and Miller in this years expansion draft for the entire first period, then we had to listen to their Russian mail order brides that wore more makeup than a whore in Shanghai squeal like they were being stabbed every time the Rags touched the puck.  It was insufferable.

the kids looked great tonight.  They played a key role and some crucial minutes.  Hopefully this experience bodes well for their/our future.

• Like 1

Can't watch much Devils hockey right now (I'm in Aruba), but very happy for the team and the Devils fans in attendance.  Don't know if anyone saw Blandisi's postgame comments, but apparently he and Q are the best of buds.  This game was clearly a blast for them...thrilled for both of them.  Hope they enjoy the moment, in a season of so few enjoyable moments.  

And screw the Rangers and their dipsh!t fanbase.  Really look forward to the days when we won't have to live for (technically) "meaningless" highlights in dreadful seasons like this.  Keep playing the kids...don't need to see Cam take so much as another shift this year (and hopefully never again as a Devil, though I think he'll be back...and if that's the case, hopefully he's got something approaching 2015-16 left in him).  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, sundstrom said:

Nice game to be at.

Whoever said it was empty earlier in the thread - it wasn't. This was a "Devils sellout" in that there were probably 500 empty seats scattered around but still full enough to call it a sellout. I'd say about 40% Rangers fans for this one but they weren't as vocal as they have been in the past. Sure there were LGR chants. And there was some schmuck who eventually got thrown out in section 5 who kept taking his shirt off. But that happens at every NJ-NYR game.

That fight put energy that was sort of missing into the game. It was nice to see Quennville and Blandisi do some things during the game - they could be very good 3rd line/PP guys.

Hall was very good but still tries too often to force the play going one on four.

Very nice game by Cory even with the loosey changeup goal on goal 1.

Really liked Severson's game.

I thought Merrill was really pretty bad - a bunch of turnovers and just unsure of himself. Hopefully this isn't what he really is (like last year) and is more like he was last month when he played well with santini.

And of course, Miles Wood. He's frustrating in that there's talent there but not sure the head will be there to go with it. But of course, I loved him tonight. He might be a perfect 4th liner on a really good team. It's funny - the Devils have a bunch of guys that can make up a really nice bottom six. The issue is they need 3 more top 6 forwards.

I think it was listed as a sellout. 16,514 is capacity, right? I am sure there were some empties. Same as MSG these days. But you had a mostly full building for an exciting rivalry game that actually was good. Well, the second half and the OT. The first half was boring. Hardly much happening. Once the Devils scored, it got exciting. Plus a couple of scraps following the Holden hit on Wood. I understood it. Vesey and Coleman was good. It was nice to see some of that intensity back. It's been missing the past few years. The games have had no edge. You had Miller and Santini jawing post whistle. Then those scraps which livened it up. 

Devils got some excellent play from their key guys. Schneider had one of his better games standing tall in the 3rd and OT. Great poke on Grabner and robbery on Hayes. He was definitely locked in. Blandisi and Quenneville were excellent. They took advantage of a bad Rangers PK overload for Quenneville's first. And the winner was predictable. The Rangers got stuck with the same 3 out for over a minute. When they didn't change, I knew it was coming. McDonagh missed wide and he and Grabner had nothing left. Quenneville made a patient play passing for Blandisi for the sweet finish around Raanta. 

No complaints. Both goalies played well. Rangers held the shots edge (40-29), possession and attempts by a wide margin (68-41). I don't put much emphasis on that because they rarely win when they out-shoot opponents. They fall to 17-18-3. 

Hall had one of his better games. His goal from Palmieri off a bad Holden turnover was a laser. 8 total shots. But I come away saying Palmieri is their best player. He makes things happen. He forced Raanta into some tough saves early. And he got off to a bad start and still has 25 goals. When they got him, I knew it was a steal. Very good player.

I didn't care about winning. That means nothing. I just want to beat the Islanders and send their annoying fans home. They rarely beat them. It's their Cup. Should be interesting tomorrow.

2 hours ago, Triumph said:

Yeah, come on, you really have to be joyless to be all in on draft position here.  The Devils are going to win some games down the stretch and I'm glad this is one of them, fvck the Rangers and their dumb fans.

The thing that beats last year in terms of play down the stretch of a sh!tty, dead-end year is that we're not seeing guys like Ruutu and Gionta skating around out there, it's people who might have an NHL future.  Seeing Blandisi and Quenneville team up for an OT goal - who knows what the future holds for either of these two guys, but I like how both of them look and they've got some potential to be NHL regulars.

Or just not watching the game...it's easier to be passive about results if you keep your distance.

But yeah people get so wrapped up in draft position and then they forget well sure it's one thing to say the team should lose every game down the stretch and if you had the 2014-15 Devils that's one thing, but with this team if you lose that means the kids you ALREADY have aren't playing all that well and the vets you need to keep around/trade aren't playing all that well either.

This was one game where how they won was even more important than who they beat.

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, Jersey Sure said:

Yes.  I have an issue with our own fans rooting for this group to have gone winless and pointless down the stretch with the young guys getting chances.  You can't say.."I hope they play well but lose."   This group of younger players shouldn't be ok with running out the string.  So some wins really gives them something to build on.

Exactly...you can't have your cake and eat it too.  There's no such thing as losing while the kids play well.  

Just saw the highlights. Literally the only 3 plays I watched from the game were the Devils goals so the game looked incredible! That Hall shot was fvcking awesome. It hasn't been a banner year for Hallsy but you do that trade again 100 times out of 100. Was fun seeing the celebrations from the young guys, legit excited. Gives the team some energy and the fans reasons to watch as they play out the string.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

That dumb sh!t head Boomer Esiason was there apparently, even better. Glad he got to enjoy that live.

Watch the Henrique OT winner in 2012. Boomer has a front-row seat for it. 

Just reading the message boards Rangers fans really have zero respect for us. It's like we're almost too insignificant to even matter for them. And a lot of "Well this is the Devils Stanley Cup" posts...because of course the Rangers are the Yankees of hockey whose history is just brimming with Cup after Cup.

6 minutes ago, '7' said:

Watch the Henrique OT winner in 2012. Boomer has a front-row seat for it. 

I have the picture of the celebration after that goal hanging in my office. Are you telling me a dejected Boomer may be in that picture??

5 minutes ago, '7' said:

Just reading the message boards Rangers fans really have zero respect for us. It's like we're almost too insignificant to even matter for them. And a lot of "Well this is the Devils Stanley Cup" posts...because of course the Rangers are the Yankees of hockey whose history is just brimming with Cup after Cup.

It's typical of Rangers fans. They didn't say boo for years because we were so much better than them, now that the tables have turned they're all out of the woodwork and it's the early 90s again. 

• Like 2

It's typical of Rangers fans. They didn't say boo for years because we were so much better than them, now that the tables have turned they're all out of the woodwork and it's the early 90s again. 

I remember going to games against them in the Meadowlands circa 2000-2004 and, curiously, didn't see many Rags fans. Wonder why that was....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

fvck those a$$holes. Yankee attitude, Jet history.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

fvck those a$$holes. Yankee attitude, Jet history.

Had to slip the Jets in there:P But in all seriousness I have never seen any franchise held in such high esteem for 1 Stanley Cup in 77 years. Granted they have made some other finals since 1940 - but not many. They are the least accomplished of all the original 6. And that is taking into account Toronto's post 1967 malaise.

• Like 2

Had to slip the Jets in there[emoji14] But in all seriousness I have never seen any franchise held in such high esteem for 1 Stanley Cup in 77 years. Granted they have made some other finals since 1940 - but not many. They are the least accomplished of all the original 6. And that is taking into account Toronto's post 1967 malaise.

Haha couldn't help a little Jet dig, although I was gonna say MET history- but that would be giving the Rags too much credit, since the Mets, even with all of the frustration they've caused their fans, have managed two championships in 55 years... Still a better ratio than those self-aggrandizing dickheads at the Garden.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

The best was on the Henrique goal, the guy in the throwback Rags jersey in the front row behind the net slamming the glass in anger. emoji23.pngemoji23.png

Boomer Esiason was sitting right behind the goal for that one..  Loved seeing that.

EDIT: Ah damn, just caught up to the end of the thread and I see this was already mentioned.. carry on.

Edited by Crisis
  • Like 1