Expansion Draft Poaching

Devils Pride 26

I know it's been discussed how we are in a great position to benefit from the expansion draft with teams unable to protect certain players. Teams may be more inclined to deal them and get something rather than lose them for nothing. 

Im curious of potential teams/players we may be dealing with. Which teams out there seem to be the most jammed up? Who should Shero be working the phones with? 

Maybe!. i think a few teams were preparing all along, and others trying to stay in playoff picture.  Guessing a team that has a fair amount of young talent with not enough room to protect?  Dallas?  Ducks? Oilers/  then again if we get say, a good D man (Fowler? Scandella/ D. nurse (unlikely) we got to leave a possible core guy out there.

4 hours ago, Devils Pride 26 said:

I know it's been discussed how we are in a great position to benefit from the expansion draft with teams unable to protect certain players. Teams may be more inclined to deal them and get something rather than lose them for nothing. 

Im curious of potential teams/players we may be dealing with. Which teams out there seem to be the most jammed up? Who should Shero be working the phones with? 

I think Nashville is going to be a target.  I think there might be a D-man like a Ryan Ellis...just spitballing here. Plus Shero and David Poille do have a relationship.  The Parentau trade might have been a "help me out type" move on that 6th coming here.  And it wouldn't shock me if there is a transaction between the 2 and that the 4th for Fiddler might even go back to the Preds.

But to the larger point you make in being in a great position to benefit from the expansion draft, this is, in my opinion going to be a major part of the offseason.  He has been constantly talking  this opportunity up and he has the assets and Cap room to make things happen.  I believe he is in a great position to really upgrade the roster and still have a draft.  What surprises me is that this hasn't been more of a discussion point so thank you for making it one.   This is where he starts moving his chips in.

I would look at the Western Conference.  Shero also has dealings with Bob Murray of the Ducks.  

I would love for the Devils to try and find a way to get Niklas Hjalmarsson here next year, Chicago needs to alleviate some cap to fit in Panarin and Hjalmarsson would be a great add for our blue line.

At the expansion draft I just want to see them bring in an upgrade on the blue line, Marco Scandella from Minnesota or Ryan Murray from the Jackets could be good options. Don't actually think Nashville is gonna have an issue keeping their blue liners unfortunately, don't think they have any issue going with the 8 skater route to protect their defensemen.

• Like 1

Friedman: Still think Shattenkirk wants to be #NYR, but wouldn't surprise me to see #NJDevils throw money at him. 

I don't have a problem throwing money his way. If the Devils can get him in FA. They can go out get another D piece via trade and another Winger.

The Devils are in amazing shaping going into this draft. I really hope Vegas takes Cammy. ( I guy can dream right?)

Edited by fsu1852

11 minutes ago, fsu1852 said:

Friedman: Still think Shattenkirk wants to be #NYR, but wouldn't surprise me to see #NJDevils throw money at him. 

I don't have a problem throwing money his way. If the Devils can get him in FA. They can go out get another D piece via trade and another Winger.

The Devils are in amazing shaping going into this draft. I really hope Vegas takes Cammy. ( I guy can dream right?)

"Amazing shape" meaning we have tons of holes to fill. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

Am I correct that the Ducks basically have to trade Fowler before the expansion draft?   They are going to protect Lindholm and Vantanen, and I believe they have to protect Bieksa because he has an NMC. 

I don't think Fowler is going to be moved at all anymore, he's been their best defenseman this year so I think he'll be in Anaheim next year no matter what. I think Bieksa is one of those NMC players that would agree to waive because it's unlikely he would be chosen anyways, but even if he didn't Anaheim would likely just go the 8 skater route and leave Silfverberg unprotected instead.

You guys are coming at this from one angle, I was thinking something a little different.

Are there any terrible contacts out there we can acquire? Find teams in desperate shape and at risk of losing a good player to the expansion draft, and take a contract off their hands (at a cost of course).

Hoard all the draft picks you can.

Edited by Devilsfan118
Grammar eludes me

4 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

You guys are coming at this from one angle, I was thinking something a little different.

Are there any terrible contacts out there we can acquire? Find teams in desperate shape and at risk of losing a good player to the expansion draft, and take the a contract off their hands (at a cost of course).

^^^^^^^Double down on this^^^^^^^      Bravo!  

On 3/25/2017 at 4:30 PM, Devilsfan118 said:

Are there any terrible contacts out there we can acquire? Find teams in desperate shape and at risk of losing a good player to the expansion draft, and take a contract off their hands (at a cost of course).

We've been doing this for a couple of seasons now. NJ needs to start moving picks for players if they are to improve anytime soon

• Like 3