Elias Announces Retirement

sundstrom

2 hours ago, sundstrom said:

CR76 - the thing i loved about the three videos you posted - the goal songs. The two from the Rock when they couldn't get a good song.

And the one from the playoffs w/ RR part 2 - did you notice something about it? Let's just say that the thing we hate wasn't "always there" as so many like to think.

MD2020 posted those vids.  (Watching them and others like them never get old.)

I'll always miss both R&R Part II (when it was just about the "HEY!"s) and the old goal horn.  Lots of great memories punctuated by both of those.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

MD2020 posted those vids.  (Watching them and others like them never get old.)

I'll always miss both R&R Part II (when it just about the "HEY!"s) and the old goal horn.  Lots of great memories punctuated by both of those.  

Whenever I hear R&R Part II, I think of 4 players: Brylin, Elias, McKay and Friesen. Brylin for his '95 SCF Game 4 goal, Elias cause of, well everything, McKay for the glass climbing in '95 and Friesen for '03

Hats off and Stick taps to Patty, thank you for all the memories and only wearing one sweater throughout your career.

I hope to be able to get a #26 banner next year to complete my set of 5, frame them, and display them proudly in my living room.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jesus Christ - to have Parise, Kovalchuk, Elias, and 'prime' Clarkson on the ice for a powerplay... compare that to what we have now and it's laughable. .

• Like 2

I think one of my favorite memories of Elias (and I can't seem to find a damn video of it) was upon his return in 2005-2006, I think, when he finally managed to make it back after fighting off Hep C.

If my memory serves, he scored in that first game back on a slapshot against the Habs.  I think it was deflected on its way in actually - but either way, as a fan I was worried he'd never be the same player because of the illness.  But scoring in his first game back, I believe, kinda showed us that he'd be just fine.

Incredible player.

That was Elias' second game back (2 goals and 2 assists).  He really came out flying...4 goals and 12 assists in his first 10 games back in the lineup in 05-06.

• Like 2

Another one of my favorite goals from that 2003 cup run.  Totally froze the future playoff MVP:

10 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

That was Elias' second game back (2 goals and 2 assists).  He really came out flying...4 goals and 12 assists in his first 10 games back in the lineup in 05-06.

sh!t, well I was close :lol:

Awesome post dr33.  Welcome back.

You did a nice job fleshing out what I alluded to before...that his team clearly didn't always do right by him.  I remember in 2009, he was asked to drag along Zubrus (who for some reason always got treated as being capable of providing more offense than he really could) and Brian "Logo-seeker" Gionta (who was seeing his goal-scoring decline yearly after that fluke 48-goal season).  Somehow, through the season's first 30 games or so, that line was actually producing...Gio was at about a point-per-game, and Zubrus had 19 points after his first 26 GP...but of course, it was only a matter of time before Gio and Zubrus fell back to Earth...leading Elias to somehow stubbornly (similar to the 2003-04 season) find a way to remain productive. 

I LOVE the fact that Elias seems to have made peace with all of that, and is focusing so much on the positives of his Devils career.  A different player might bring up some of the mistakes his franchise made...sounds crazy in that Elias was a part of teams that made the playoffs for the large majority of his career, and he did play in four SCFs, but the fact that everyone wonders what his numbers could have been elsewhere shows that, now more than ever, there's a lot of "What if?" with Elias.  And I give him a lot of credit for not really delving into that, and him just saying that he was proud to have been a Devil his entire career, with no hard feelings about anything at all.  He's truly as classy as it gets.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 3