Elias Announces Retirement

sundstrom

16 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Well, they didn't in 2000... 2001 and 2002 were disappointing endings though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2002 was the first of our BS spectacularly unlucky playoff losses to Carolina. We were better in that series but got no breaks. No bounces. Down 2-0 in the series...tied it at 2-2. Leading late in game 5 and Holik takes a penalty and Carolina scores on the PP and wins in OT. Awful.

• Like 1

2002 was the first of our BS spectacularly unlucky playoff losses to Carolina. We were better in that series but got no breaks. No bounces. Down 2-0 in the series...tied it at 2-2. Leading late in game 5 and Holik takes a penalty and Carolina scores on the PP and wins in OT. Awful.

Yeah that was a brutal series, that was really the start of Carolina being a total pain in our asses in the playoffs (we took our foot off the gas against them in 01 and made that series waaaay more interesting than it needed to be too). I HATED Kevin Weekes by the time that 02 series was over lol.

Just now, '7' said:

That was a scream-at-the-TV moment for sure.  And then there was the hell that was Game 6.  I had a killer tailgate with my then soon-to-be-fiancé (now my wife of 12.5 years), nice sunny day, was so psyched up for the game...and then a 1-0 loss, with the Devils looking completely flat and lifeless.  And I only needed five damned minutes to know that the Devils were losing that game.  Very frustrating loss...and yeah, never would've guessed it at the time, but wow did those Hurri-fvcks turn out to be a serious thorn in our side.  Arrrrrgh.

• Like 2

He was the most understated, unassuming star player that I can remember.  Loved watching him play.  Glad that his jersey will deservedly hang in the rafters at the Rock alongside Stevens, Brodeur, Neidermayer, and Daneyko.  IMO...he is definitely a Hall of Fame player.  If he had this career on an original 6 franchise, it wouldn't even be a question. 

#ThankYouPatty

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Chuck the Duck said:

He was the most understated, unassuming star player that I can remember.  Loved watching him play.  Glad that his jersey will deservedly hang in the rafters at the Rock alongside Stevens, Brodeur, Neidermayer, and Daneyko.  IMO...he is definitely a Hall of Fame player.  If he had this career on an original 6 franchise, it wouldn't even be a question. 

#ThankYouPatty

I think he's borderline myself (which is a damned fine achievement on its own, to be even be able to be discussed as a HHOF candidate)...I can understand both cases for and cases against. 

15 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Funny, you could really see how frustrated Toronto was getting with the Devils at that point...having lost to them in the playoffs two seasons in a row.  Joseph almost seemed to be screaming "Goddammit, not AGAIN...these fvcking Devils!"  The Leafs seemed to try to construct a team that would finally match up against the Devils come playoff time, but as we know, that matchup never happened. 

If you're referring to the 2001-02 team, losing Mogilny hurt...then the A-line becomes a home-ice wonder...and Tri pointed this out previously, but suddenly the pucks stopped going in for the Devils, despite the fact that they were still outshooting and outchancing their opponents pretty handily.  That was another one of Marty's not-great .906 save% years too. 

That pretty much is an accurate way to describe the 2001-02 team.  I thought they looked a little rejuvenated after the Arnott trade but that was only temporary.  Also they had Kevin Constantine basically talking to a wall when he was coach as the team never responded to him (you have pointed out Marty said in his book as much).  What a weird year that was.  Lou seemed to get a little desperate that year by trading for Kamensky and Richer and getting Beezer out of retirement down the stretch.

1 hour ago, DJ Eco said:

The things he says, and the way he sees the game, Patty has "general manager" written all over him.

*-if he wants it

I don't know if I see him as a hockey lifer though more and more great players have tried to make that transition.  I see him as someone that wants to enjoy retirement and live quietly for a while.

Absolutely loved watching him play. Smooth as silk. Such a natural skater and stick handler, with eyes in the back of his head.  He was dripping with hockey sense.  A gentle soul off the ice but inside on the ice a serial killer.  Love the player and man.

Enjoy the kids patty. Perfect timing.. hope you,re family life is as blessed like your hockey life. He's now my Mr. Devil.

• Like 2

It's funny that guys like Yzerman and Hossa are given so much credit for changing their game, at the expense of personal stats, into the type of two way leaders you need to win championships.  I sometimes think it works against Patty that he didn't just go out and play an offense only style and run up crazy numbers in his first few years before settling into a more responsible game.   Even in the season where he was 3rd in the league in scoring, the A line was playing against the other teams top line most of the time and Patty's +/- was ridiculously high.  I think that speaks volumes about both Elias and the Devils development system at that time that he was playing to win from day one.

The other thing I don't think he gets enough credit for is that for many seasons after the EGG line was blown up, he basically covered a lot of Lou's roster sins by singlehandedly giving us a credible second line.  Look at 2012, while Kovy and Parise were taking most of the credit, Elias was top ten in the league in points while dragging Zubrus and the Ghost of Petr Sykora around the rink.  Just look at how many guys had career years playing with Elias.  Gomez, Gionta and Clarkson should still be giving him kickbacks on the huge contracts they signed after playing with him.      

Anyway, he's my all time favorite.  I moved to Philadelphia to go to college in 1993 and have been here ever since.  I will never forget the two goals he scored to win game 7 of the ECF as i was in a house full of Flyers fans that night absolutely getting it.  I guess it's because he was so classy but to this day, I rarely hear anyone say a bad thing about him.  Most everyone I skate with or hang out with is a Flyers fan and the worst thing I ever hear any of them say is "I cant wait until that guy retires, he absolutely kills us."  Well, that day has finally come.  I saw one Flyers fan on HFB today just post "Goodnight Sweet Flyers Killer" and chuckled.

I can't wait for Elias night because a compilation of his career highlights will be a crazy display of skill and clutch and he managed to be total class act the whole way.  

Edited by Lateralous
  • Like 5

Will forever love the way he embraced what it means to be a Devil. Guy was the epitome of class, there wasn't a smarter and more honest player in the league than Patty and you could really tell during all 19 seasons he played here that the crest on the front meant the world to him.

Enjoy retirement Patty, and thank you for everything.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Patty in the 22 jersey just looks odd! Also, he looks 14 years old.

Agreed.  Funny seeing Brian "Roger Dorn" Rolston on the bench behind Elias in this clip too.  God how I wanted to punch his winking face during his second run here...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

It's odd (and fortunate) that the Rangers wouldn't give a NTM/NMC to Elias. You routinely see players not even close to good as Elias get those.

• Like 1

I love Patrik Elias. Always have been a huge fan of him. He's the one player I always loved and respected from the Devils. A lifer. Franchise leader in goals and assists and of course points. It's too bad he didn't play. But it's just as well. Hasan said it best. At least his final memory was a goal and two assist game. Hasan wrote a great piece on our blog. I am not linking it. But if you want not only a good write up but also a personal experience meeting Elias by chance, then go read what Hasan wrote on our site. I really enjoyed it. 

Elias' greatest moments are dual in 2000. The 2 goals he scored in Game 7 vs Flyers to complete the Devils 3-1 comeback. And the amazing backhand saucer pass to Arnott for the Cup clincher in overtime. A great cover photo IMHO. He also lit us up in that one sided first round sweep in '06. The year the Rangers returned to the playoffs. I didn't much care. I knew they had no chance. Elias was so easy to admire for how he played the game and carried himself. A great two-way player. Very respectable. He also wore Sykora's jersey after the Devils won that Cup. 

It didn't matter that he wore a Devils jersey. It didn't stop me from getting a Czech Republic home white Elias #62 jersey. No.62 due to Rucinsky wearing 26. I still have it. It's not always about the rivalry. You can still admire a rival player without hating them. I often wonder how Devil fans felt when Jagr played for us. Was he that easy to hate? He hurt himself going after Gomez, who became public enemy number 1 when he signed here. But Jagr was always different to me. I always was a huge fan. I own a Pens home white '98-99 replica Jagr I bought at Cosby's after a game at the old MSG. I never hated Jagr. Even when he scored that winner to end Gretzky's career. Just awe. Ironically, Jagr played for the Devs too and became beloved. Because of who he is. He has personality and character and unreal talent. He's a living legend. Jagr has played for almost the entire old Patrick Division except the Islanders. 

I'm really glad Elias got to do it with one team. Here's hoping he gets the recognition one day from Toronto. It might take some time. Congrats to a class act. 

• Like 4

CR76 - the thing i loved about the three videos you posted - the goal songs. The two from the Rock when they couldn't get a good song.

And the one from the playoffs w/ RR part 2 - did you notice something about it? Let's just say that the thing we hate wasn't "always there" as so many like to think.

• Like 3

CR76 - the thing i loved about the three videos you posted - the goal songs. The two from the Rock when they couldn't get a good song.
And the one from the playoffs w/ RR part 2 - did you notice something about it? Let's just say that the thing we hate wasn't "always there" as so many like to think.

Yep- in all of those old videos from the Meadowlands days, no YOU SUCK.