New York Mets 2017 Season Thread

NJDevs4978

Might as well start a new thread for a new season now that it's less than two days away:

Opening Day roster's pretty much set now:

C - D'Arnaud/Rivera

1B - Duda

2B - Walker

SS - Cabrera

3B - Reyes

INF - Flores, TJ Rivera

LF - Cespedes

CF - Granderson

RF - Bruce

OF - Conforto, T. Kelly

SP - Thor, deGrom, Harvey, Wheeler, Gsellman

RP - Montero, Edgin, Smoker, Salas, Blevins, Robles, Reed

DL - Wright, Matz, Lugo, Lagares, Nimmo

SSPD - Familia

Edited by NJDevs4978

Definitely ready to roll. This team has tremendous potential...just have to remain healthy. I don't see the Nats taking off and running away with the division like they did last year where everything went right for them.

re:  the Nats, will be VERY interesting to see if 1) Murphy can approach those numbers again, and 2) if Harper can bounce back.

Taking a 1/2-day today so that I can go home and watch the game.  The best thing about this is that I can slowly but surely start purging the Devils' lost season out of my system.  As much as it's part of the long-term sports cycle, it kills me to see what the Devils have become. 

1 minute ago, Devils Dose said:

Is it an imposing lineup? Nah. But they've got power potential, and if the pitchers stay healthy (maybe even become better?) this could be a great season.

They're definitely too strikeout-prone, won't hit enough, and good pitchers will make mince meat out of losers like Jay Bruce and Lucas Duda (which is why this group will never do well collectively in clutch situations).  They'll have their occasional HR barrage days though. 

The good news is that there's guys like Dominic Smith and Amed Rosario in the system, who will (hopefully) bring much-needed different skillsets to the plate. 

I think the Mets win in the high-80s somewhere as currently constructed, provided everyone stays healthy.  That could increase into the low 90s if the more questionable bats (d'Arnaud, Duda, and Conforto, to name a few) have better-than-expected seasons. 

Eric O'Flaherty...lolololololol.

The exact kind of pitcher that Duda can do some damage against.

Teheran just flat out owns the Mets, but when it's Thor opposing him we can pretty much endure the dominance long enough to get into that wretched joke pen. 

Lots of good signs in this one so far. Duda with a big hit. Cabrera with a couple of hits. Even Granderson who has always been such a slow starter and so unreliable at getting runners in from 3rd with less than 2 outs got a sac fly.

Braves were definitely in charitable mode...hey, that's THEIR problem.  If Eric O'Flaherty is an answer for them, then I don't want to know the question.  God what an awful 'pen.

1 hour ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Now it looks like Lugo's getting a second opinion on his shoulder, oh great.  They're one more disaster away from Montero actually getting starts :P

Amazing how any diagnosis involving the Mets never seems to be right the first time.  

2 hours ago, '7' said:

Teheran just flat out owns the Mets, but when it's Thor opposing him we can pretty much endure the dominance long enough to get into that wretched joke pen. 

Lots of good signs in this one so far. Duda with a big hit. Cabrera with a couple of hits. Even Granderson who has always been such a slow starter and so unreliable at getting runners in from 3rd with less than 2 outs got a sac fly.

It is nice when you have a Thor-type that can match zeroes with anyone.

re:  Duda, he's like the preseason NFL player who shreds it against 2nd and 3rd-teamers.  It's great that he got a big hit off a zilch arm today, but his K against Teheran is much more symbolic of what he is.  But at least his numbers look good for a day.

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Amazing how any diagnosis involving the Mets never seems to be right the first time.  

This reminds me of the Wheeler nonsense a couple years ago when it went from nothing to TJS overnight :P

I get what you're saying about Duda (he's sort of the infield version of Nick Swisher) but considering we need to win games in the regular season to get the division I'll take a regular season compiler.  There are a lot of bad pitchers in baseball, especially in bullpens lol

And just out of curiosity I looked up the stats after typing this out and it's uncanny how close they actually are lol

Swisher - career .249 AVG, .351 OBP, 26 HR and 85 RBI per 162

Duda - career .246 AVG, .343 OBP, 26 HR and 81 RBI per 162

Pretty astute comparison, re:  Duda and Swish...VERY similar players.  Both guys fatten up and feast on lesser arms, but yeah, they'll be exposed against good pitching. 

My concern with Duda is last season...if he can be the 2014 and 2015 version, I can live with him.  The 2016 version will be hard to take...so much so that if Dominic Smith is tearing up AAA (and of course it will be hard to evaluate him on his numbers alone, as they'll be inflated) and Duda is struggling, maybe in July sometime Smith might get a look.  But no way to know what will happen right now. 

4 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Pretty astute comparison, re:  Duda and Swish...VERY similar players.  Both guys fatten up and feast on lesser arms, but yeah, they'll be exposed against good pitching. 

My concern with Duda is last season...if he can be the 2014 and 2015 version, I can live with him.  The 2016 version will be hard to take...so much so that if Dominic Smith is tearing up AAA (and of course it will be hard to evaluate him on his numbers alone, as they'll be inflated) and Duda is struggling, maybe in July sometime Smith might get a look.  But no way to know what will happen right now. 

I think unless he was really lighting it up, they'd try a Flores/Duda platoon first, or even a Flores/Bruce or Conforto platoon to get Conforto's bat in the lineup although maybe Bruce's little hip flareup in spring was a subtle message that he didn't feel he could handle first.

Duda was swinging well in the spring too so I'm not particularly worried about a 2016 type season though health itself always has to be a concern once back problems start.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Speaking of Smith...Las Vegas' season gets underway on Thursday.  Smith and Rosario are obviously the players to watch.  No one else really stands out that much, but it's not like there's tons of room with the big club for many young players in 2017.  Right-handed SP Ricky Knapp (who I don't know much about) pitched in A+, AA, and AAA last season and will be 25 years old in May, so guess he's worth checking out too, though his overall minor league numbers don't excite much.  There's also David Roseboom, a lefty reliever who's put up nice numbers for the most part, but is overage and a college draftee...and he's about to get his first taste of the PCL. 

Only current AAA pitchers on the 40-man are Goeddel and Gilmartin, who kind of are what they are.  Most intriguing position player on the 40-man is clearly Rosario...unless Cecchini does anything for you (if all goes according to plan he's obviously not the SS of the future here)...I'm guessing he'll be moving to second base? 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

17 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Braves were definitely in charitable mode...hey, that's THEIR problem.  If Eric O'Flaherty is an answer for them, then I don't want to know the question.  God what an awful 'pen.

O'Flaherty is why everybody should raise their children to be lefthanded relief pitchers. They always last forever nomatter how bad they are. I would've assumed O'Flaherty was already out of baseball by now. And yet here he is, mucking up yet another game.

9 minutes ago, '7' said:

O'Flaherty is why everybody should raise their children to be lefthanded relief pitchers. They always last forever nomatter how bad they are. I would've assumed O'Flaherty was already out of baseball by now. And yet here he is, mucking up yet another game.

He was actually good for the Braves from 2009-12...and was still good in limited duty in 2013-14 (he only appeared in 40 games combined for those two years...I'm assuming he had injuries that may have contributed to what he's become).  But yeah, he's basically been a complete disaster from 2015-on:  

59.0 IP, 86 H, 51 ER, 5 HR, 32 BB, 43 K, 2.00 WHIP, 7.78 ERA 

3 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Speaking of Smith...Las Vegas' season gets underway on Thursday.  Smith and Rosario are obviously the players to watch.  No one else really stands out that much, but it's not like there's tons of room with the big club for many young players in 2017.  Right-handed SP Ricky Knapp (who I don't know much about) pitched in A+, AA, and AAA last season and will be 25 years old in May, so guess he's worth checking out too, though his overall minor league numbers don't excite much.  There's also David Roseboom, a lefty reliever who's put up nice numbers for the most part, but is overage and a college draftee...and he's about to get his first taste of the PCL. 

Only current AAA pitchers on the 40-man are Goeddel and Gilmartin, who kind of are what they are.  Most intriguing position player on the 40-man is clearly Rosario...unless Cecchini does anything for you (if all goes according to plan he's obviously not the SS of the future here)...I'm guessing he'll be moving to second base? 

Cecchini looks like such an abject disaster at SS. I don't know enough about him to know if this is simply a SS issue or if these problems would carry over to any position we stick him at because of a poor arm or footwork issues...I don know the guy can hit but he doesn't slug enough to hide in a corner outfield position. I'm guessing they may eventually try him at third and the results may be pretty ugly there as well.

His solid hitting and age make him a prospect with some worth...but ultimately I don't see him as part of the future here. He strikes me as trade bait for a 2017 WS run.

12 minutes ago, '7' said:

Cecchini looks like such an abject disaster at SS. I don't know enough about him to know if this is simply a SS issue or if these problems would carry over to any position we stick him at because of a poor arm or footwork issues...I don know the guy can hit but he doesn't slug enough to hide in a corner outfield position. I'm guessing they may eventually try him at third and the results may be pretty ugly there as well.

His solid hitting and age make him a prospect with some worth...but ultimately I don't see him as part of the future here. He strikes me as trade bait for a 2017 WS run.

I tend to agree, but I doubt that Sandy signs Walker to a long-term deal after this season.  This team may look to fill the second base hole from within, with a cheap player (which always factors into the MO here).  I'm skeptical that this will work out, but Cecchini may fit that bill.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

41 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

I think Rosario and Cabrera (still has an option year left) or Walker are the middle infield in 2018, they shouldn't need Cheech.

You really think Walker has any chance of being a Met in 2018?  I'd be stunned if the Mets signed him to a multi-year deal. 

22 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

You really think Walker has any chance of being a Met in 2018?  I'd be stunned if the Mets signed him to a multi-year deal. 

I would say no except they ostensibly tried to sign him during ST.  I think if they do sign him Cabrera is gone and if not Cabrera probably gets the option picked up. I can't see them keeping both again.

Apparently Lugo now has a torn UCL...pitchers.

Edited by NJDevs4978