New York Mets 2017 Season Thread

NJDevs4978

Maybe someone can explain to Sandy that not only does offense matter, but so does defense.  This team does NOTHING to support its arms, in any way. 

And now the Mets' offense goes right back into Meek Mode.  At least Thor got a friggin' hit.

God Reyes do you suck.  fvck you. 

31 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

And now the Mets' offense goes right back into Meek Mode.  At least Thor got a friggin' hit.

God Reyes do you suck.  fvck you. 

Looks totally lost. And I remember all those Spring Training write ups about how young and fresh and quick and dynamic he suddenly looks again.

Two nice shots from Conforto and Bruce (Conforto with a BOMB, Shea bridge area) have them up by 3 again. 

The Mets offense can hit solo home runs with the best of them.  The one and only thing they do well.

They're really gonna have to give Reyes a short leash since they have actual other options (TJ Rivera's one of those guys that's going to go somewhere else and become a good utility guy but he's gonna get the shaft here), but he'll probably get a longer one than we'd like for reasons already discussed.

Of course they're not playing Conforto tomorrow after his breakout tonight.  I guess it's a good problem to have as long as Bruce keeps hitting but really you're going to have to eventually figure out how to get one of the OF'ers over to first base.

At least Thor gave an ace performance when one was neccesary and they got out of the homestand at 3-3.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Reyes' plate approach is so fvcked at this point (when since did he subscribe to the Rob Deer school of hitting?  All he does is swing (and miss) as hard as he can).  And the problem is, since the Mets have a very difficult time distinguishing the past from the present, yeah, Reyes will get too long of a leash.

But what is Reyes' ultimate upside at this point?  Maybe a .265 BA/.320 OB%?  And it's not like he showed any capability of raising his game in the big spots when he WAS in his prime.  He's just not that good anymore...I know he had moments last year, but I wish he'd never been brought back...you can't keep trying to build a winner with losers. 

Smith slash:  .375/.375/.500 (6-for-16, 2  2B, 0 BB)

Rosario slash:  .375/.375/.375 (6-for-16, all singles, 0 BB, 1-for-2 in SB attempts)

Who would've thought that Bruce would've been the big stick at this point?

By all means Curtis, keep hitting directly into that shift.  

Another night of not many hits and lots of Ks.  And a solo HR...no shock to anyone except for Sandy.  Jacob at least gives you whatever he's got, even when it isn't much.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

I do love how Jacob always seems to right the ship enough when he doesn't have his best stuff. The guy almost never implodes. That's what separates the very good from the great pitchers. deGrom can rely on his stuff when he needs to...but he can also just as well outsmart the opposing hitters too.

Our domination at Citi Field South continues. I literally expect the Mets to win every game they play there. I know the run won't last forever...but that place is like the reverse Turner Field now.

Since August 24th 2011 the Mets are 35-14 at CBP. 

9 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Who would have thought Jay Bruce would be authoring a storybook redemption season?  That chip on his shoulder's really working.

It's funny...with Syndergaard, deGrom, and Harvey all turning in good starts in their five appearances, and with Bruce being so hot and Reyes being so cold, a lot of struggling bats and not-great fielding have kind of flown under the radar.  If the Mets aren't 4-3 and Bruce isn't off to this kind of start, and Reyes isn't sucking to almost unfathomable levels (.108 OPS), then Cespedes (.574 OPS), Walker (.399 OPS), d'Arnaud (.464 OPS) and Granderson (.450 OPS) are probably starting to hear it a lot more than they have in the early going...Cespedes of course will get more of the benefit of the doubt, and with good reason. 

Somehow this team managed to score four runs on four hits...but we all know what they live and die by, and 2 HRs will always help.  They're now slashing .192/.270/.332 through seven games.  We really should count our luckies that the Mets are 4-3.  And that the Nats haven't gotten off to a quick start; all things considered, as maddening as this offense looks like it's going to be, things could be a lot worse. 

Next two games are going to be interesting, as far as the Mets' starting pitching goes.  Harvey at times looked pretty good in his last start, but also seemed to get his fair share of good fortune...he seems like he's still in danger of getting hit hard, despite what the radar gun says.  Ditto Wheeler, who I think really should be in extended spring...but the depth just isn't there at the moment, and no way in hell that I trust Rafael "Same Old sh!t" Montero to get starts at this point.  But I get the feeling Wheeler's in for another rough one...hopefully these Met bats wake up long enough to cover for these guys if they don't have it.   

And on another note...the friggin' inconsistency with these umpires on certain things is infuriating.  Syndergaard gets tossed with no warning last season for throwing an obvious purpose pitch, but when Ramos does it, it's just a warning.  The latter was probably the right action, under the circumstances (though the team that gets thrown at always gets screwed), but I could still strangle that dipsh!t call-up ump from last season who not only was completely wrong for ejecting Syndergaard, but also for wearing that smug little "ha ha you can't touch me" face that these arrogant fvcks always get when anyone dares to call them out on their bullsh!t.

And of course, once again this season, we're seeing how often they blow painfully obvious calls...which they NEVER have to answer for.  It's painful to watch, it really is...and the number of blown calls continue to slow down an already slow game. 

31 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

And on another note...the friggin' inconsistency with these umpires on certain things is infuriating.  Syndergaard gets tossed with no warning last season for throwing an obvious purpose pitch, but when Ramos does it, it's just a warning.  The latter was probably the right action, under the circumstances (though the team that gets thrown at always gets screwed), but I could still strangle that dipsh!t call-up ump from last season who not only was completely wrong for ejecting Syndergaard, but also for wearing that smug little "ha ha you can't touch me" face that these arrogant fvcks always get when anyone dares to call them out on their bullsh!t.

And of course, once again this season, we're seeing how often they blow painfully obvious calls...which they NEVER have to answer for.  It's painful to watch, it really is...and the number of blown calls continue to slow down an already slow game. 

I didn't think of it that way but that's an excellent point lol, oy vey. And the pitch last night was actually more dangerous than Thor going behind Utley's back.

I'm usually pretty bloodthirsty with this stuff but the Phillies are such small fries nowadays that I'm not especially interested in escalating things(and Cabreras bat flip last year was pretty over the top, though he doesn't deserve to get his head thrown at). With Harvey on the hill...I have no doubt he's going to plunk someone.

2 hours ago, '7' said:

I'm usually pretty bloodthirsty with this stuff but the Phillies are such small fries nowadays that I'm not especially interested in escalating things(and Cabreras bat flip last year was pretty over the top, though he doesn't deserve to get his head thrown at). With Harvey on the hill...I have no doubt he's going to plunk someone.

They can get payback at the end of the year if they really want to (though hopefully last night was the end of this crap).  No reason to do it now, especially now that the umps' collective dander is up, and with lots of games left to play between these two teams.  I could see Harvey getting (unfairly) tossed if he does something obvious.

BTW Boomer and Carton were shredding Fatso today, and with good reason...in a way it's unfair, because it's obvious that Mike is not aging well in the brains department, and really needs to go in December...but that over-the-hill idiot called Syndergaard "Saberhagen" in a monologue yesterday.  Now if Fat fvck had any sense of humor about himself...or one at all for that matter...then he might actually laugh at himself a little...but you know when he inevitably gets goofed on by prank callers, he'll stammer on (very predictably) about how he's been doing this for years, and how great he is, how much he gets paid, etc.  People are counting down the days until this irrelevant old schmuck's off the air indeed...but not for the reasons Mike thinks that they are.  He truly is beyond awful. 

35 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

They can get payback at the end of the year if they really want to (though hopefully last night was the end of this crap).  No reason to do it now, especially now that the umps' collective dander is up, and with lots of games left to play between these two teams.  I could see Harvey getting (unfairly) tossed if he does something obvious.

BTW Boomer and Carton were shredding Fatso today, and with good reason...in a way it's unfair, because it's obvious that Mike is not aging well in the brains department, and really needs to go in December...but that over-the-hill idiot called Syndergaard "Saberhagen" in a monologue yesterday.  Now if Fat fvck had any sense of humor about himself...or one at all for that matter...then he might actually laugh at himself a little...but you know when he inevitably gets goofed on by prank callers, he'll stammer on (very predictably) about how he's been doing this for years, and how great he is, how much he gets paid, etc.  People are counting down the days until this irrelevant old schmuck's off the air indeed...but not for the reasons Mike thinks that they are.  He truly is beyond awful. 

The thing is this recent rise in "Mongo Nation" (a liter Francesa ultra fan group which is kind of campy) has only inflated his ego and sense of importance. The next couple of months you're going to see an insufferable farewell tour. Then he'll fall vanish for a week in December and resurface.

What's hilarious is when he tries to make it sound like he was actually somehow involved or some special access "braintrust" back in the 80's and early 90s. "Yea I was dare in the coaches room when Possells and Bell-a-check were arguing about how to stop daBills no huddle..." 

3 minutes ago, '7' said:

The thing is this recent rise in "Mongo Nation" (a liter Francesa ultra fan group which is kind of campy) has only inflated his ego and sense of importance. The next couple of months you're going to see an insufferable farewell tour. Then he'll fall vanish for a week in December and resurface.

What's hilarious is when he tries to make it sound like he was actually somehow involved or some special access "braintrust" back in the 80's and early 90s. "Yea I was dare in the coaches room when Possells and Bell-a-check were arguing about how to stop daBills no huddle..." 

He LOVED talking up his friendship with Parcells back in the day...especially once Parcells became the Jets' head coach.  I remember one caller basically telling him to shut up about Parcells already, and that eventually Big Bill would probably dump him...Fatso went ballistic and said something to the effect of that the status of their friendship would never change. 

Of course, in being consistent with Fat fvck's prediction prowess, the two are no longer pals and haven't been in many years.  I also wouldn't be surprised if Mike thought the friendship was a lot deeper and more meaningful than Bill did.  The lyrics to the Doobie Brothers' "What a Fool Believes" come to mind. 

Through 5 GP in Vegas:

Rosario:  .400 on 8-for-20, all singles, no BB, no K

Smith:  .368 on 7-for-19, two 2B, one BB, one K

Puny sample stuff, but God it's nice to see only one K between them in what is essentially 10 man-games played. 

After one turn through the rotation, Ricky Knapp and Wilfredo Boscan had the best starts.  In Boscan's case, no reason to get excited...he's a 27-year-old Venezuelan who pitched 15.1 IP for the Pirates last season, but who first reached AAA back in 2013...his AAA numbers are pretty unremarkable (.291 BAA)...he has decent control, but doesn't strike out many.  Been over Knapp...he was pretty good in A+ and AA last season (and overage), but we'll see how he fares in the PCL.  Sad thing is with the way Met arms go down, you almost have to start keeping an eye on the farm guys from the start of the season.  No one saw Gsellman and Lugo making as many starts in the majors down the stretch as they did.

59 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

lol this is such a bandbox even Travis goes yard

I'd like to see what the Mets record is in parks that either lean hitter friendly or are all out bandboxes, because they seem to do very well in those stadiums. 

Harvey couldn't get through 6 but...6k's and the velocity continues to climb.

Edited by '7'