NHL announces non participation in 2018 Olympics

Chimaira_Devil_#9

11 minutes ago, thecoffeecake said:

That's not really a major factor in the difference in approach to international participation.  No soccer league holds the monopoly on talent and competition that we see  with the major sports here. Try holding players back from something they want to do, they'll go to one of the dozens of other top leagues that field star players. FIFA makes the rules in the soccer world, not the Premier League. International tournaments are the highest prestige competition in soccer as well, and are major revenue generators. The checks and balances don't exist in hockey for what's right for the game to always happen.

This is true about international soccer, but it is not really a better system overall - FIFA's is going to disrupt all the leagues deliberately in 2022 with a ridiculously greedy and craven decision that even the NHL would question.

2 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Some of them are not asking for it.  Ovechkin  said he is going either way. Whether he gets permission or not.  In fact, their owner said, in effect, what am I supposed to do if they want to go? 

That is exactly why the NHL is going to have to enforce some major penalties against players that go AWOL.  I don't know what they could do in terms of the collective bargaining agreement to fine/suspend players, but they can effectively force organizations like the Caps to file a grievance against players that leave for the Olympics by also putting into place fines and loss of draft picks, etc. for failing to ensure their players comply with the terms of their contracts.  What is interesting will be whether or not the IOC will allow AWOL players to play in the tournament in violation of their NHL contracts.  Not sure if there are any agreements in place that would prevent players from skipping out on the NHL season.  I'm sure the NHL lawyers were busy figuring out all of the legal ramifications of this and they feel they are on solid legal footing with this.

22 hours ago, Triumph said:

NHL players are not paid to go to the Olympics.  Their break is 'with pay' in that they get paid during the NHL season, but they receive no more money than they otherwise would.

I can't see many North American players playing a year overseas just for a shot at playing in the Olympics.  Veteran players tend to have families and putting them through that for an Olympic dream that should've been long-since dead - I dunno.  I'll believe it when I see it.  But I agree with the point above - there's no way that NHL owners are going to decide whether or not players can go to the Olympics.  Leonsis gets to look like the good guy when he tells Ovechkin and company that they could go to the Olympics, but it ultimately cannot be his decision.

For 1 year, I can see a vet doing so.  But, it would be someone close to retirement age, who might have a hard time getting a roster spot/ice time in the NHL.  Someone like Girardi comes to mind.  Belief is he will be bought out this summer, thus a UFA.  I can't see him getting big money, no more than $1-2MM on a short term deal and I don't think he would be a lock to make many teams in the NHL.  Could see him signing a 1-year deal to play in Europe hoping to play in the Olympics, or even having a wink-wink deal with Hockey Canada ahead of time.  

On 4/6/2017 at 11:48 AM, MadDog2020 said:

That'll go over well with the PA lol. Get ready for lockout #4 in about three years....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They won't have a choice.  There is going to be a lockout regardless.  Owners told the PA they would do the Olympics if they extended the CBA 3 years.  Players refused as rumblings have been that most are not happy with the CBA and want some changes.

19 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Some of them are not asking for it.  Ovechkin  said he is going either way. Whether he gets permission or not.  In fact, their owner said, in effect, what am I supposed to do if they want to go? 

That is cute on Ovechkin's part.  But, officials from the Russian Hockey federation have already stated if the NHL says they are not going, they will not allow Russian NHL'ers to play.  They are going to use this to try to get Russian FA's to sign with the KHL.  Ovechkin would have to pull a Kovalchuck as he is under contract until 2020-21.

10 hours ago, Matteau#32 said:

They won't have a choice.  There is going to be a lockout regardless.  Owners told the PA they would do the Olympics if they extended the CBA 3 years.  Players refused as rumblings have been that most are not happy with the CBA and want some changes.

This fvcking league. There will be lockouts and work stoppages every end of CBA or two.