2017 Stanley Cup Playoffs thread

MadDog2020

Some fun first round match ups this year. It's nice to see a lot of Canadian teams in it but I don't think many of them will go very far. Really interested to see how Edmonton fares in the postseason though. Gotta wonder if they struggle to find the grit and presence that a veteran playoff tested team can bring to playoff hockey. ..alas, Washington has bombed out every year since the beginning of time so what do I know?

I kinda hope Ovi finally gets his Cup but if they somehow face off against the Pittsburgh Crosbies then they're toast as usual. Also would be good for Shattenkirk to grab the Cup so he doesn't feel the need to inevitably go to New York to chase it next year. Of course, I'm sure even if he does get his Cup he'll still jet off to Broadway because fvck us, right?

I do hope someone other than Chicago or Pittsburgh wins this year. San Jose has always been my second team but they've choked their way into oblivion so unless they have a Devils 2000-esque run in them I don't think they'll make it very far. They're also quite banged up right now and Burns has cooled off a bit. 

This Rangers-Habs series will be fun. I'll be a Habs fan for the next couple weeks but more than anything I'm rooting for both teams to knock the everliving sh!t outta each other. I think we all can get on board with that. 

Gosh, I love playoff hockey. My wife already understands that the living room TV is mine for the next couple months. I've reluctantly offered two months worth of offseason movie date nights in exchange for her letting me completely submerge myself in hockey until June. She's a good gal. 

Edited by Weekes Head
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Nicomo said:

^totally worth it. Nothing else in sports beats playoff hockey. 

First round especially.  Teams are healthy and full of energy. 

It's the best time of the year for the sport, without a doubt.

As far as predictions go:

1. MTL-NYR: I have no faith in Montreal to do anything significant in the playoffs.  I think they're a soft team (even with the deadline acquisitions), and unless Price decides to turn on God mode again I think they're done in 5 games or less.  Rangers win this one easily imo.
  2. OTT-BOS: How far can Bergeron will the Bruins?  I think the Senators are going to be hungrier, but honestly this one's a tossup to me.  Ottawa in 7.
  3. WSH-TOR: What a "feel good" story for Toronto, finally relevant again and in the playoffs because they tanked in the right year.  I hope the Caps absolutely decimate them, but I could see things going the Leafs way (as they have all year) and pulling off the upset.  But in the end I think the Caps are too good.  Caps in 5.
  4. PIT-CBJ: I would LOVE to see Columbus knock out the Penguins.  But how can you possibly bet against Crosby?  Penguins in 6.

I don't follow the west closely enough to make educated guesses (though as I'm sure will become apparent after the show begins, my educated guesses for the Eastern teams I DO follow will be way off anyway.)  Hard to bet against the Hawks though, and McDavid is in the same tier as Crosby now imo (as in: don't bet against him).  Hawks, Wild, Flames, and Oilers move on to the 2nd round.

Edited by Devilsfan118

Rangers are pretty soft as well, and have goaltending issues. But they can score and in bunches, and are very fast. I don't love the Habs scoring depth after Pacioretty.

Seems like a 7 game toss up to me. Neither of these teams make it out of the 2nd round though.

Matt Murray went down for the Pens in warmups and MA Fleury gets the nod. ..good thing they kept him I suppose. Is Murray showing signs of being injury prone? I feel like he's had a few injuries already and he's still quite young...

All these games seem par for the course so far. Nothing overwhelmingly exciting  although this Sens-Bruins series looks like it has the early makings of a nasty little match up. I'm excited to see how McDavid and Edmonton fares against the Sharks. Something like half their team making their postseason debuts tonight. 

Edited by Weekes Head

10 minutes ago, Weekes Head said:

Kinda looking like Edmonton may very well steamroll the Sharks at this point. I know it's early but San Jose totally crash landed into the post season and they're not looking hot here either. Oilers looking hungry!

They're really missing Joe Thornton. 

Yay we have some playoff OT on night one! There goes sleep...who needs to be functional for work tomorrow?  Ha.

Glad to see San Jose wake up. Larsson has really been tested tonight. Think he nearly had a 3 minute shift at one point. Poor dude is going to be absolutely dead tomorrow me thinks.

• Like 1

Kinda looking like Edmonton may very well steamroll the Sharks at this point. I know it's early but San Jose totally crash landed into the post season and they're not looking hot here either. Oilers looking hungry!

You were saying? [emoji1]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3