2017 Stanley Cup Playoffs thread

MadDog2020

Just now, DevsMan84 said:

Karlsson didn't play in the 3rd as he left the game with an injury

They're done.

They just held him out for game 5. No use playing him as this one was over already.

No doubt he'll be out there, just have to wonder how effective he'll be.

2 hours ago, Weekes Head said:

I really don't mind Toronto. Actually I used to actively hate them on the same level as Philly (think back to the early 00s and Tie the Turtle Domi) but it's hard to hate this team now. I hope they stay around in the conversation for a while. 

Yeah, I hated Domi, not the Leafs. I was shocked recently when I heard Daneyko say they're friends now.

The only player I've ever hated more is Sean Avery.

12 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Yeah, I hated Domi, not the Leafs. I was shocked recently when I heard Daneyko say they're friends now.

The only player I've ever hated more is Sean Avery.

I went the other way with Domi. He was a small, obnoxious, angry, violent little Oompa Loompa, and he was so entertaining. Obviously hated him on the Rangers because I hate everyone there, but as a Leaf, he was tons of fun. 

Avery was never even on the same page of coolness as Domi. 

• Like 1

The fact that Ottawa got to play Boston and have home ice no less in the first round is even a bigger joke to me. 

To me it shows how piss poor this playoff system really is. It doesn't reward regular season play whatsoever. 

If I had my way the playoffs would be seeded back in the 1-8 system but the divisional winners aren't guaranteed a top spot. You want a higher seed? Earn it in the regular season. The playoffs in the east should have been setup this way to me 

(1) Washington - 118
(8) Toronto - 95

(2) Pittsburgh - 111
(7) Boston - 95

(3) Columbus - 108
(6) Ottawa - 98

(4) Montreal - 103
(5) Rangers - 102

1 hour ago, Satans Hockey said:

The fact that Ottawa got to play Boston and have home ice no less in the first round is even a bigger joke to me. 

To me it shows how piss poor this playoff system really is. It doesn't reward regular season play whatsoever. 

If I had my way the playoffs would be seeded back in the 1-8 system but the divisional winners aren't guaranteed a top spot. You want a higher seed? Earn it in the regular season. The playoffs in the east should have been setup this way to me 

(1) Washington - 118
(8) Toronto - 95

(2) Pittsburgh - 111
(7) Boston - 95

(3) Columbus - 108
(6) Ottawa - 98

(4) Montreal - 103
(5) Rangers - 102

The Rangers still get the easy route to the Conference final with those two choke jobs >_<

But yeah, I dig that format.

11 hours ago, Since1982-83 said:

Domi. What a classless prick. Never forget what he did to Niedermayer back in the 2001 playoffs.

a_niedermayer2_i.jpg

That was terrible. One of the few times in my life watching sports where I legit thought a player had died. Then afterwards the Toronto media was talking about how it wasn't that bad. And how Niedermayer was up and about in the locker room talking to loved ones saying he's ok...so clearly not a big deal.

2 hours ago, '7' said:

That was terrible. One of the few times in my life watching sports where I legit thought a player had died. Then afterwards the Toronto media was talking about how it wasn't that bad. And how Niedermayer was up and about in the locker room talking to loved ones saying he's ok...so clearly not a big deal.

I'm with you brother and I can remember what I was thinking like it was yesterday...I thought Nieds was either dead or close to it, and if Stevens was able to get to Domi in the immediate aftermath, Domi may have been dead that night.

Edited by Since1982-83

22 minutes ago, Since1982-83 said:

I'm with you brother and I can remember what I was thinking like it was yesterday...I thought Nieds was either dead or close to it, and if Stevens was able to get to Domi in the immediate aftermath, Domi may have been dead that night.

Stevens' reaction was one of my legit most favorite reactions in all of sports, even compared to like funny and celebratory ones, but definitely my most favorite "intense"/"aggressive" reactions for sure.  I'll never forget how he looked like a rabid dog in the penalty box, almost foaming from the mouth and he literally wanted to dismember Domi.  It was inspiring.  It's the way I always felt whenever I played hockey -- you mess with one of my teammates and do something cheap and dirty like that, it's a reason to go.  I'll murder your ass.  

I just watched it again because nothing gets me more fired or amped up than watching then and I wanted to remember it clearly while discussing it here.  The best part might have been when they first showed Stevens -- and how he basically told Holik (who was also a pretty big dude), to do whatever had to to get Domi's ass, even follow him around the goddamn rink if you have to.  He wanted his head on a silver platter.

Edited by NJDfan1711
  • Like 6

This playoff system is great.  Giving more weight to divisional standings gives more significance to competition with local rivals. You go to a true 1-8 without giving division winners the top seeds, divisions are entirely useless, and NHL rivalries will become as flacid as they are in the NBA.

46 minutes ago, thecoffeecake said:

This playoff system is great.  Giving more weight to divisional standings gives more significance to competition with local rivals. You go to a true 1-8 without giving division winners the top seeds, divisions are entirely useless, and NHL rivalries will become as flacid as they are in the NBA.

I might agree with you if there were 3 divisions still and none of this wildcard garbage where you can win a division that you're not even in. 

2 hours ago, thecoffeecake said:

Rivalries now are pretty damn flacid as it is, we don't need the playoffs to start to create even more artificial ones than NBC Sports tries to do every season.

I'm 100% in favor of bringing back the old 1-8 system, but, alas, the damn bridge troll wont do it.

3 hours ago, jagknife said:

Rivalries now are pretty damn flacid as it is, we don't need the playoffs to start to create even more artificial ones than NBC Sports tries to do every season.

I'm 100% in favor of bringing back the old 1-8 system, but, alas, the damn bridge troll wont do it.

It's not creating artificial ones, It promotes organic growth of rivalries. It's awesome knowing we'll  see a second round of Pittsburgh/Washington probably multiple times  again over the next few years.

I don't think Getzlaf should've gotten that penalty shot. I didn't see anything wrong with what Lucic did defending that play, at least the angles I've seen.

So, uh, that may have been the best 3 minutes of the entire playoffs so far. Holy sh&#33;t. The young guys got a little too comfortable and the veteran playoff team pounced. If this is the turning point, Edmonton will have a LOT to learn from this game. sh&#33;t. 

Edited by Weekes Head
  • Like 1

You know, I had actually fallen asleep and missed the majority of this game. Finally tuned in with about 8 min left in the 3rd. Feels like I caught the game just in time, plus I'm nice and wide awake for the long haul. About to go to double OT. What a game. These guys are going to be absolutely exhausted by night's end. I hope this one goes the full seven...what a great series this has been.