2017 Stanley Cup Playoffs thread

MadDog2020

3 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

The Nashville fans are great, I do wonder if they have a group of the fan base that hates using the word suck. Only bringing that up cause they used in like 5-6 different chants lol 

Why the hell does NBC send Pierre to a different game every day? He's on tv every damn night during the playoffs. Do they think people actually like this guy? He's so annoying, I don't give a sh!t what high school or bumble fvck town these guys are from, just shut the fvck up.

Part 1: Their fans seem to know ALL of their chants, and actually participate in them. We can't even sustain a 'Let's go Devils' chant, let alone scream you suck in unison. They also have enough intelligence to chant whatever team they're playing is the one that sucks, not the ones who they are constantly trying to prove they aren't the stepchild of the area. ;)

Part 2: NBC is like Bettman, pretends they know what the fans want, but in reality, just love blowing themselves and basking in their own donut glaze.

Edited by jagknife

Just now, Martyisth3b3st said:

I can't remember the last time I went to a Devils game without a sustained and loud "Let's Go Devils" chant. Overuse of hyperbole is getting boooooring on this site 

Both games I went to this season [NYE and the Boston game on the 2nd], the chant died off after two iterations on average. Also, from watching on TV, it was not a rare occurrence. We as fans are not on the level of other teams, and that's okay, we don't have much to cheer for, but please don't pretend that we bring it every night.

7 minutes ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

You're right, a last-place team's chant isn't as strong as a team who just punched their ticket to the conference finals. 

When the Devils were good, our crowd (especially for big games) was great. Compare apples to apples, here, bud.

Rather than put another quarter in the merry go round and point things out, I'll just call it a night

Oilers embarrass the Ducks to force the first Game 7 of these playoffs, nice.

Edited by jagknife

10 hours ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

You're right, a last-place team's chant isn't as strong as a team who just punched their ticket to the conference finals. 

When the Devils were good, our crowd (especially for big games) was great. Compare apples to apples, here, bud.

Sorry but he's right.  Starting a LGD chant during that Florida series in 2012 was like pulling teeth.

9 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

I saw that idiot in Edmonton who wears tons of shirts and takes them off and throws them to the crowd, it's amazing teams actually keep paying this guy to do it. He did it at Devils games a few times too. What a scam. 

That's JVB era "arena experience" for you.  Some sweaty Senators fan shill being paid to strip off white sweat-stained t-shirts while dancing as if he is having a seizure and throwing them to fans who just don't know better. 

Yet the new owners get sh!t for shelling out money re-doing the entire concourses and adding other stuff.

5 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

Sorry but he's right.  Starting a LGD chant during that Florida series in 2012 was like pulling teeth.

I agree.  I do hear LGD chants still, but they are very localized to a section or two and are never sustained.  Even when the Devils were good they were few and far between compared to other teams.  However our fans had no problem shouting you suck or singing chants about teams that are not even in the same arena.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

I went to 6 games in that Florida series. 3 in NJ and 3 in Florida. You're incorrect, completely and totally. The loudest I've ever heard the prudential center was Zajac's late goal to send game 6 to OT.

Oh so it's gonna be that kind of thread. 

lol head down that path and yeah I am going to say it.  I am also feeling pissy today so I guess that doesn't help.

13 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

I saw that idiot in Edmonton who wears tons of shirts and takes them off and throws them to the crowd, it's amazing teams actually keep paying this guy to do it. He did it at Devils games a few times too. What a scam. 

Oh god. I forgot about him. I think my brain had surpressed that painful memory. He was so fvckin' annoying. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

I went to 6 games in that Florida series. 3 in NJ and 3 in Florida. You're incorrect, completely and totally. The loudest I've ever heard the prudential center was Zajac's late goal to send game 6 to OT.

Oh so it's gonna be that kind of thread. 

You weren't at Game 6 vs the Rangers that year, were you? Cause I was at both and it was hands down the loudest the Rock has ever been.

Between the fans, the upper deck literally swaying for the first time since we were in CAA and in 03 we made the TV announcers comment on it, to the goddamn horn starting to crap out mid celebration, the Rock was rocking that night

Edited by jagknife

You weren't at Game 6 vs the Rangers that year, were you? Cause I was at both and it was hands down the loudest the Rock has ever been.
Between the fans, the upper deck literally swaying for the first time since we were in CAA and in 03 we made the TV announcers comment on it, to the goddamn horn starting to crap out mid celebration, the Rock was rocking that night

I can confirm, as I was at both as well. I thought the roof was gonna blow off when Henrique scored in game 6 against the Rags. It was loud for game 6 against Florida too, but not nearly as loud as when we beat the Rags.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

I can confirm, as I was at both as well. I thought the roof was gonna blow off when Henrique scored in game 6 against the Rags. It was loud for game 6 against Florida too, but not nearly as loud as when we beat the Rags.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since I wasn't in the arena for any of the cup wins, the Henrique goal stands as the loudest moment I've personally experienced live.

If you could sell the feeling in that arena when that goal went in, you'd be a billionaire. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

still dont understand how St Louis and Nashville are "west" teams

usmap-tn.jpg

MO_20650.gif

Hey somebody's got to be out West right? You already had Detroit worm their way into the Eastern Conference (they should've been kept out west imho)

5 hours ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

still dont understand how St Louis and Nashville are "west" teams

usmap-tn.jpg

MO_20650.gif

I don't mean to come across as snide or a jerk when I say this, especially because you probably haven't heard me say it, but it really isn't a big mystery.  I've said this to plenty of other friends and a few other forums I frequent whenever this topic comes up.  The reason Nashville, St. Louis, and pretty much any other team in the West are "classified" as West teams, even though they may actually be more towards the Eastern part of the country if you were to put a line down the middle directly in half, is simply because, in comparison to the other 28 teams in the league, and again dividing them in half, 15 on each side, they actually ARE more Westerly located than the others.  It really comes down to basic geography.  Right wrong or indifferent, the general landscape of the U.S. is more coastal than anything else, but even the central states aside, when you compare the East and the West the East region just typically is heavier populated, and therefore tends to have more metropolitan areas and cities.  Not to mention that the game of hockey itself is typically more popular on this side of the country as well, but again, just population-wise, there's more cities and areas in this half, so naturally you're going to have a few teams/cities that would realistically and "technically" be Eastern teams, but in the grand scheme of things, again with 30 teams total, they actually are on the correct half of the league when you divide them into two sides.

I've never really seen any issue with this.  Ok so it makes travel a *little* harder for some of those teams.  Big deal?  The only solution to that is getting rid of one of them and replacing them with the likes of a more "appropriate" Western team...Seattle?  Utah?  Portland?  

It's fine the way it is.

See attached.  I apologize that it's so small, but as you can see, with the expansion and relocation the past couple seasons (Atlanta moving to Winnipeg), we now have 16 teams in the East and 14 in the West.  Vegas coming aboard this coming season will make 15 in the West again.  It's my belief, and probably most others, that the NHL wants and is looking to even this out and expand with a 16th team on the West in just a few years, making it even in bother conferences again.  

Me, I wish they would have just left it 15 on each side and a nice round number of 30, but I can't fault them for wanting to grow the game and expand, especially when the behemoth model of all leagues, the NFL, also has 32 teams. 

But you get the point.

There's just no way they can have a team like St Louis or Nashville in the East, without massively changing the way Conferences are set up.

Capture.JPG

15 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

See attached.  I apologize that it's so small, but as you can see, with the expansion and relocation the past couple seasons (Atlanta moving to Winnipeg), we now have 16 teams in the East and 14 in the West.  Vegas coming aboard this coming season will make 15 in the West again.  It's my belief, and probably most others, that the NHL wants and is looking to even this out and expand with a 16th team on the West in just a few years, making it even in bother conferences again.  

Me, I wish they would have just left it 15 on each side and a nice round number of 30, but I can't fault them for wanting to grow the game and expand, especially when the behemoth model of all leagues, the NFL, also has 32 teams. 

But you get the point.

There's just no way they can have a team like St Louis or Nashville in the East, without massively changing the way Conferences are set up.

Capture.JPG

In other sports it is history that leads to bizarro geography.  The best example of this is the 1982 National League Championship Series, in which the NL East champion Cardinals had to fly east to face the NL West champion Atlanta Braves, and vice versa.

Edited by smelly

21 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

But you get the point.

Capture.JPG

Seattle may eventually join out west, while the Coyotes will bolt to probably Quebec City.