2017 Stanley Cup Playoffs thread

MadDog2020

14 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Count me in this group too. I want Nashville to win, but honestly, Pittsburgh has at least 3 guys (Crosby, Malkin, Kessel) that are possibly all better than any player our team has ever had. At the same time. A team like that is going to be successful. 

Besides, it's not like it's the Rangers. 

You're smarter than this. 

Brodeur was one of the best at his position ever.  Stevens was awesome and Niedermayer was pretty damned special too...and of course, Elias' career was terrific, and in a different system or with better complementary talent, would've likely had even better glamour numbers.  I wouldn't rank Kessel's Penguin body of work ahead of what Parise did as a Devil...not yet.

Kessel does seem to have a knack for raising his production in the playoffs, and will have a nice career for sure, but he's not that great.  Crosby's obviously already is one of the all-time greats, and when Malkin is healthy, he's a special player too...but Malkin misses a lot of games now, and has since his fourth season in the NHL.  

Devils have had some talented players here...don't sell them short.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I perhaps forgot the word "offensive". 

Brendan Shanahan, Ilya Kovalchuk Patrik Elias, Joe Nieuwendyk, Jamie Langenbrunner, Jaromir Jagr, Zach Parise...

I wouldn't put Kessel ahead of any of them. Not yet. Crosby and Malkin are a different story. 

So so I swung and missed once.

.667 gets me in the Hall of Fame, I'm ok with that. :)

For the record, I wouldn't put Kessel ahead of a bunch of those guys career wise. But in terms of what they did as a Devil? That's a different story as well. 

19 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

So so I swung and missed once.

.667 gets me in the Hall of Fame, I'm ok with that. :)

For the record, I wouldn't put Kessel ahead of a bunch of those guys career wise. But in terms of what they did as a Devil? That's a different story as well. 

Are we only talking about Kessel as a Penguin? Cause he's only been there 2 years. He is clutch in the playoffs though. 

58 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Are we only talking about Kessel as a Penguin? Cause he's only been there 2 years. He is clutch in the playoffs though. 

He takes an unnecessary amount of heat for a guy who always seems to perform. 

That being said, his last 2 years with the Penguins, his stats would have made him our leading scorer both years; last season he outscored Malkin and this year he was only two points behind him. He was third on the team in scoring both years.

And yet still people act like he sucks.

Id take him on my team all day, every day. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

He takes an unnecessary amount of heat for a guy who always seems to perform. 

That being said, his last 2 years with the Penguins, his stats would have made him our leading scorer both years; last season he outscored Malkin and this year he was only two points behind him. He was third on the team in scoring both years.

And yet still people act like he sucks.

Id take him on my team all day, every day.

No doubt. Even if he is a bit of a loon. :lol:

What joke?  No one's saying that they wouldn't take Kessel or that he sucks (though the money he still has coming to him might give one pause).  They're disputing mfitz's initial observation that the Devils have never had an offensive player better than him in their history.  He's obviously going to have a long and solid career, provided that he can stay healthy, but he's not some all-time great player...and based on his just his Penguins body of work, I could name some Devils forwards who were just as good or better than him (and weren't playing with guys like Crosby and Malkin in the lineup).  Kessel has found a good home with the Penguins for sure...he's a good fit for both parties (especially since his production doesn't end with the regular season).

Just looking at Kessel's stats, a couple observations:

1. Five 30+ goal seasons out of his first 11.

2. Seven 30+ goals out of his first 11.

3. Hasn't missed a game in 7 out of 11 seasons, including the last 7 (one being strike shortened)

4. Parise has a few more goals and less assists. He had one more season, but he had that one he played 13 games so we'll call that even. They are almost dead even in their careers. 

5. Kessel did more than half of that playing on an abysmal team that never finished higher than 3rd and made the playoffs once in his 6 seasons there. The argument that his production is improved by playing with Malkin and Crosby fails because he had more point production in his last two years in Toronto than his first two in Pittsburgh. 

7 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Just looking at Kessel's stats, a couple observations:

1. Five 30+ goal seasons out of his first 11.

2. Seven 30+ goals out of his first 11.

3. Hasn't missed a game in 7 out of 11 seasons, including the last 7 (one being strike shortened)

4. Parise has a few more goals and less assists. He had one more season, but he had that one he played 13 games so we'll call that even. They are almost dead even in their careers. 

5. Kessel did more than half of that playing on an abysmal team that never finished higher than 3rd and made the playoffs once in his 6 seasons there. The argument that his production is improved by playing with Malkin and Crosby fails because he had more point production in his last two years in Toronto than his first two in Pittsburgh. 

Kessel is a great player but he kind of plays the complementary role that Mogilny had on the 2000-2002 Devils teams.   Championship teams need those players but IMO he should never be mentioned in the same breath as a guy like Elias who was the centerpiece of possibly the top line in the league at that time, usually went head to head against the other teams top lines and came out like a +45 one year , killed penalties, etc.  

I actually feel the same way about Phaneuf.  He's an extremely useful player if used property but the Leafs should have never tried to make him a central piece of the core.   

Edited by Lateralous

I think Bettman gets more crap than he deserves, but him enthusiastically supporting the offside replay really annoys me.  Either get rid of it, or give the replay official 30 seconds to determine if there's a clear offside.

• Like 2

It's Bettman's favorite time if year where he gets to hand the Stanley Cup trophy, come hell or highwater, to his favorite team the Pittsburgh Penguins.

That offsides call was utter and complete bullshiet. But you knew it was going in the Pens favor. And now Malkin scores. What else is new.... 

Preds largely outplay penguins and get a goal called back on a play that would have been a goal two years ago.

Penguins get a 5 on 3 from an obvious penalty and another where Crosby just falls and they promptly score on that.  Preds get rattled and Penguins score again.

and now they just scored a third off the preds player.

Edited by DevsMan84

18 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

This is already getting hard to watch.  It's even worse listening to the two Pens jock sniffers they have calling the game with Doc 

Eddie doesn't even hide it.

And an intermission special about Crosby seals the deal for me. I'm out for tonight, better stuff to watch.