The NJ Offseason Thread

Derlique

8 minutes ago, Antiquated Colorado Rockie said:

Not retaining Schlemko and Stempniak when they fit the system and justifiably wanted raises. That was concerning to me. Maybe they all of a sudden didn't want to be in NJ I guess, not sure.

The most NHL games Schlemko had ever played in any given season prior to last year was 48.  I can understand why Shero wasn't sure about committing to him long-term (even though the cap hit wasn't too bad).  BTW Schelmko missed 20 games this year.

Stempniak has played for seven teams since the start of the 2013-14 season...he was pretty good last year, but is it really that big of deal that he's not a Devil anymore?   

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Antiquated Colorado Rockie said:

Not retaining Schlemko and Stempniak when they fit the system and justifiably wanted raises. That was concerning to me. Maybe they all of a sudden didn't want to be in NJ I guess, not sure.

This is sort of the inverse of people who would bellyache over Stephen Gionta.  He might have stunk, and maybe there were players better than him who could have had his spot, but he was not the difference between winning and losing.  I doubt that Stempniak and Schlemko make the Devils noticeably more competitive, which, in any event, was probably a good thing in the long run that they weren't given the need for high draft picks. 

14 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Not giving David Schlemko and Lee Stempniak multi-year contracts doesn't constitute cheapness, it constitutes prudence and smart roster and salary cap management.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess if you are planning on tanking. These guys would be fairly high on the depth chart now with the roster we have. Cap wise we are so far below it certainly wouldn't matter in Stempniaks case (given the term) and likley not Schlemko either.

14 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

The most NHL games Schlemko had ever played in any given season prior to last year was 48.  I can understand why Shero wasn't sure about committing to him long-term (even though the cap hit wasn't too bad).  BTW Schelmko missed 20 games this year.

Stempniak has played for seven teams since the start of the 2013-14 season...he was pretty good last year, but is it really that big of deal that he's not a Devil anymore?   

good points. I just remember them being better than I was expecting and the seemed to fit the system well and the problem is we had no one to replace them.

I have an offseason plan worth a couple of wins.  Get rid of the high fiving stair route to the ice and just have them come out of the tunnel 10 feet from the dressing room.:P Yes I'm saying professional athletes can't deal with a stair climb 4 times a game for 41 games. :o

• Like 4

I know a lot more people though we should have gotten a pick instead of Prout in the trade with Columbus but I think (read: Hope) Shero had the plan all along to {a} see if a change in scenery worked for the guy (it didn't really) and {b} use him as a trade piece to get a defender from a team that needs an expose-able contract. I think Anahiem and Minny both will need to expose a good d-man or two just because they don't have enough expose-able contracts. Prout is worth his weight in gold in this scenario to one of those teams. You can snag a player from them on the cheap while giving them the ability to not have to expose a more valuable D man. And in the worst case for that team, Prout isn't taken by Vegas, his contract is pretty cheap (1.575 Mil cap hit) and only has 1 year left on it.

Edited by WaffleFries
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Jerzey said:

Anyone have any thoughts on Hynes? Give him till Thanksgiving or Christmas, another whole year, fire him...?

I guess we should give him a little more time but at this point I'm not really confident he has what it takes. 

I'm fine with Hynes for now but I hope his leash is very short next year. His coaching staff needs to be gone, like, yesterday though. 

I'm also okay with letting Schlemko and Stempy go. These aren't guys that are going to make or break your team. You have a perennial journeyman and a guy who at the time still didn't necessarily prove his worth in the NHL. Was I sad go see Schlemko go? Sure...I liked the guy and felt he was servicable, but I think that was a perfectly okay management decision. IIRC he's done okay enough in San Jose but he's missed some time.

I'm okay with keeping Moore. I think he came on strong after that awful injury. I understand if he's not in our future but for what he's worse, I like the guy. You know, I found a military appreciation jersey of his(replica) on ebay for like $50 and I ended up snagging it. Brand new jersey no less. Not a bad find. 

Devils absolutely should not sign TJ Oshie to the kind of deal he's gonna ask for. He's playing with Bäckström and Ovechkin both at evens and on the PP and he gets to shoot from the best spot in the NHL on that PP. He's a fine player but in one of the best environments in the league Signing him up for whatever his dollar price will be until he's 36-37 will be a terrible deal.

20 hours ago, Weekes Head said:

Great post sundstrom. On the money 100%. I agree that Hynes' staff needs to go. I'm fine with him staying. He can have one more shot. I don't think he is an awful coach. He more or less had an AHL team this year. But the special teams are a mess and desperately need to be addressed. These guys all need to go, just clean house 100%. I'm iffy on Terreri though. He's one of my childhood heroes and I love me some T-Bone but you gotta wonder if there's a better direction this team could go when it comes to their goaltending. Ehh. I'm not so worried about that right now. Fix the rest of the team first. And throw the checkbook at Shattenkirk and Oshie. That's a start. 

I think Hynes will be on a short leash this fall. If this "rebuild" goes south by thanksgiving. He's gone. If both asst coaches are gone shortly, (they should be)  Hynes "new" assistants need to be qualified to take Hynes job if need be. I agree on Terreri as well. (maybe it's time to move on) Sometime a fresh voice goes a long way.

Like weekes said, Im ok with Hynes for now, he has some experience running sheros attacking offense..we all agree that the skill at the top isnt there, yet we're killing the coach

we need a stud top pair defender and a 30 goal forward to replace cammy.. I like zachas vision and skills, he will only get better and possible can play with hall.. but they need to be finishers 

where does moore fit in?

11 minutes ago, EdgeControl said:

Like weekes said, Im ok with Hynes for now, he has some experience running sheros attacking offense..we all agree that the skill at the top isnt there, yet we're killing the coach

we need a stud top pair defender and a 30 goal forward to replace cammy.. I like zachas vision and skills, he will only get better and possible can play with hall.. but they need to be finishers 

where does moore fit in?

In my experience, you can get away with a guy like Moore on a 2nd or 3rd pair. Not good defensively but makes up for it with offense. 

BUT, to do that, your other 5 D-men have to be fantastic. We're nowhere near that. Greene is near the end of the line. Santini and Severson still have developing to do. Lovejoy is Lovejoy. 

With that crew, we can't afford to sacrifice by having Moore out there. Hopefully they get Shattenkirk, Vegas takes Lovejoy, and we go forth from there. 

Regarding the 30 goal scorer, yeah add one of those. Three would be good too. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Antiquated Colorado Rockie said:

good points. I just remember them being better than I was expecting and the seemed to fit the system well and the problem is we had no one to replace them.

They're just the kind of guys that are perfect one-year stopgap/fillers...maybe you get something more out of them than expected, both in performance and return (like being able to flip Stempniak for a 2nd-rounder).  But if someone else really wants to commit to guys like that long-term, then you just say "OK, thanks for everything, see ya." 

2 minutes ago, sundstrom said:

These quotes from Hynes and others about team effort and chemistry - I would not be shocked to see Henrique gone and either C change or Greene moved. Might be drastic but could be. 

I'd be open to any of the above, depending on who gets the C (Zajac or Palmieri in my opinion) and who would be coming back in a trade. I'd hate to lose Henrique, but if he gets a good return I would think about it. Greene is getting older and slower by the minute, an upgrade will be needed there shortly. 

Offseason for me...

Step 1 draft

Step 2: Throw money at Shattenkirk.

Step 3: be in the dance for Oshie

Step 4: acquire Alex Galchenyuk.

I'm not one to propose trades... But could a Henrique for Galchenyuk deal work? I'm not saying we should do that, but I'm thinking from the perspective that both guys may benefit from a change of scenery. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, sundstrom said:

These quotes from Hynes and others about team effort and chemistry - I would not be shocked to see Henrique gone and either C change or Greene moved. Might be drastic but could be. 

His buzzwords like "effort", "grit" and "being hard to play against" made me cringe. He hardly mentioned lack of skill.

24 minutes ago, SMantzas said:

His buzzwords like "effort", "grit" and "being hard to play against" made me cringe. He hardly mentioned lack of skill.

Mentioning lack of skill tells your players they suck. You can't do anything really about lack of skill as a player. You can do something about lack of effort. 

26 minutes ago, SMantzas said:

To be fair, Hynes also said that he's looking for more offense and not fourth line grinders.

So I think he gets it.  I get it too, doesn't mean I'm qualified to coach an NHL hockey team.  Nevertheless, I guess I'm ok with keeping Hynes for next season, and maybe seeing where things go in the first twenty games or so.  Especially given that there isn't really a can't miss coach that won't be available by then. 

From the exit meetings today. 

"Pride, tenacity, pushback,” Shero said. “We had it at times but not enough. Not close enough to where we want to be. Some guys had a chance to prove that this year. They won’t be back.”

I'm guessing Auvitu, DSP and maybe Bennett & Josefson are on that list. Although I'm in the minority that actually quite liked some of Bennetts play.

14 hours ago, sundstrom said:

I agree . I feel on most other teams Greener is a 3/4 D man,not top pairing. Rico I hope isn't going anywhere.

I'm wondering if Hall was a locker room issue? Even if he was, he's our #1 fw moving forward.