The NJ Offseason Thread

Derlique

20 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Another hypothetical I'll throw out there - 

What about a deal around Drouin and Severson?

The problem is without any defensive additions, I think losing Severson will hurt more than adding offense would improve.

I'd love for us to flush out assistant coaches, Killjoy for scraps and Cammalleri to Vegas in the draft, get KS22 and by some miracle, Oshie too.

Unless we get a couple significant pieces on defense, I'm dead set against trading Severson for almost anything. We can't move the puck out of our own zone to save our lives, moving Severson would make that worse regardless of what forward we add. Why do you think Colorado was so bad this year?

3 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Another hypothetical I'll throw out there - 

What about a deal around Drouin and Severson?

Be honest, I'd rather have Drouin than Duchene. NJ would have to sweeten that deal by fair amount

I just don't see us moving Damon at this point. We need puck moving guys, he had a really respectable year in terms of points. I don't expect us to trade really any of our young D this offseason - not including Merrill. 

I think Henrique is the bait here, but the one thing we have to remember is Henrique is still a 20/25 Goal player (probably 25-30 on a good team with a good PP). He also plays PK and can slot in center or wing. He's highly valuable and if we want to get more reliable D, than he's the guy. 

Behind Damon Severson there is nothing at RHD.  The Devils have Santini, who looks okay but wasn't anything special in his rookie season, and that is it.  Josh Jacobs had a totally nondescript year for Albany, and the Devils haven't drafted an RH D in two years.  

I love Drouin, but the Devils need defense too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Triumph said:

Behind Damon Severson there is nothing at RHD.  The Devils have Santini, who looks okay but wasn't anything special in his rookie season, and that is it.  Josh Jacobs had a totally nondescript year for Albany, and the Devils haven't drafted an RH D in two years.  

Perhaps more so than forwards, even. 

Yeah trading Severson would be a massive mistake- people need to remember he's still only 22. I really believe he'll be part of the solution if we allow him to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, fsu1852 said:

are we getting Shatty?

Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but at his exit press conference Shero mentioned that Yandle was the big catch in free agency last year and the Panthers ended up missing the playoffs.  Perhaps he's just lowering expectations in the even Shattenkirk ends up signing with the Rangers.

2 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Yeah trading Severson would be a massive mistake- people need to remember he's still only 22. I really believe he'll be part of the solution if we allow him to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Definitely. He'd be on my no trade list for now. Unless I was overwhelmed by an offer. 

• Like 2

I don't think he's covering for anything on the Yandle, etc signings. I think all he is saying he is, there's no silver bullet. If they think they can help themselves with FA, they'll do it, but they won't sign a ridiculously stupid contract. 

I think the fact is Shattenkirk would probably need a huge mega mega overpayment to sign here, and it's not going to happen.

4 hours ago, Daniel said:

Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but at his exit press conference Shero mentioned that Yandle was the big catch in free agency last year and the Panthers ended up missing the playoffs.  Perhaps he's just lowering expectations in the even Shattenkirk ends up signing with the Rangers.

I'm saying it in a way that we can't trade Severson unless we get Shatty and even if we do get him I wouldn't trade him

15 hours ago, fsu1852 said:

are we getting Shatty?

My suggestion was kind of based on us signing Shatty, yeah.  

But I agree that it's not smart to fix one hole on our roster by opening (or rather, worsening) another.  But if Shero manages to pick up another top-4 defenseman "during" the expansion draft and sign Shattenkirk (two major "if's") I think the trade might make sense.  Drouin, imo, is borderline Matthews/Laine/Eichel talent. 

• Like 1

On 4/14/2017 at 3:59 PM, Antiquated Colorado Rockie said:

The Palmieri trade does look like a bit of a fleece job, I am not assuming that they are going to get a player that will work out as well as Palmieri has as he has worked out unusually well for what they gave up. Not completely unforeseen though as he was on a very deep team in Anaheim and did not get near the ice time that he has got here since he is playing much higher in the depth chart on the Devils. By Palmieri style trade I mean I think it is likely we will get a decent young roster player for a couple of picks because we have a lot of cap space and 11 draft picks. Every single year there are teams with cap issues such as the Ducks were in 2015 and there should be more opportunities than normal this year because of the expansion draft protection which the Devils are also favorably positioned for.

That's true, I guess it may in fact come down to how Shero uses the draft picks he has at his disposal.  

13 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

My suggestion was kind of based on us signing Shatty, yeah.  

But I agree that it's not smart to fix one hole on our roster by opening (or rather, worsening) another.  But if Shero manages to pick up another top-4 defenseman "during" the expansion draft and sign Shattenkirk (two major "if's") I think the trade might make sense.  Drouin, imo, is borderline Matthews/Laine/Eichel talent. 

If he can land two top-4 d then I would want Drouin on this team

On 4/16/2017 at 6:00 PM, Triumph said:

Let's see what Shero does in the offseason. If he is as busy as he seems to be telegraphing, things could look a lot different.  I know I'm throwing Severson out there and he may be part of the solution or he may be somewhere else.    But if Shero is able to do some things this offseason to bring in some D-men, you never know. 

10 hours ago, fsu1852 said:

If you had to pick one T.J or Shatty. Who would you give the mega contract too

s4eamxv.jpg

But seriously, we have the money and space.

Shattenkirk should be the #1 priority imo, but if Oshie makes it known that he'd like to sign here if the price was right (read: not completely absurd) then I say bring him on.

It may look ugly down the road (as Cammy's does) but some drastic changes need to be made here.

2 hours ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

Who cares if the price is absurd? We paid 6m this year for a dead Mark Savard. It's not like we can't afford to be a little over-the-top. What I tell Shatty and Osh: "take whatever the top bidder is offering you, bring it to us, and we'll add a few mil."

This. When you underpay everyone, you can afford two overpay two legit stars. 

4 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

s4eamxv.jpg

This picture was an awesome reference. 

IMHO it will be almost impossible to get Shattenkirk here unless he is strictly following the money and we offer the most.

Severson has to be back, he's young and will only get better,

I'm also against Trading Henrique....unless Trouba or something similar is the return.

Henrique does so much for this team, and this year he did it w/ AHL wingers!!!