The NJ Offseason Thread

Derlique

22 minutes ago, grcenter47 said:

do the devils have the most cap space in the nhl compared to every team in the nhl

They do and they'll use it all up signing up third and fourth liners and a bunch of 5th and 6th pairing D as usual. In addition, most of the players will have either played for PITT or WBS

On 4/26/2017 at 1:50 PM, Martyisth3b3st said:

My point is that his value as a player to the Devils is greater than his trade value. You're out of your stinking mind if you think he's worth a first round pick

May be true under certain circumstances, but look at what Minnesota gave up to acquire 30+ year old dud Martin Hanzal from Arizona:  2017 1st, 2018 2nd, and probably a looks like also a 2019 2nd rounders.

Too bad Kovy didn't come back this past year, the Devils could of made bank off of trading him to the Wild.

Never underestimate the dire needs of other teams to win it all

ref:  Wild pay the Moon for Hanzal in trade with Coyotes

5 hours ago, HOLLYWOOD said:

May be true under certain circumstances, but look at what Minnesota gave up to acquire 30+ year old dud Martin Hanzal from Arizona:  2017 1st, 2018 2nd, and probably a looks like also a 2019 2nd rounders.

Too bad Kovy didn't come back this past year, the Devils could of made bank off of trading him to the Wild.

Yup, if he was skating with them when the season started.

Teams will overpay at the deadline because they have been able to take a good look at where their team is and what their needs are based on a good portion of the season having gone by.  And they do that overpaying because they know that the spot there in and feel that whatever move they make can take them deep.  I heard Fletcher say at the deadline this year that his team has never been in this spot this late in a season.  It may not have worked out, but he tried.

11 hours ago, HOLLYWOOD said:

What also made the Wild more willing to make that deal was that their prospect system is pretty stacked, so they could live without the pick in the mid-20s.   Fewer and fewer teams will be willing to do that.  

I think the spotlight is well and truly on Shero now. He's got the expansion draft, #1 draft pick, 9 other picks, the potential return of Kovy and a ton of cap space to work with this summer. Time for him to shape the future of the team. To say I'm looking forward to see how things unfold over the next few months is an understatement.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Aitchmack said:

I think the spotlight is well and truly on Shero now. He's got the expansion draft, #1 draft pick, 9 other picks, the potential return of Kovy and a ton of cap space to work with this summer. Time for him to shape the future of the team. To say I'm looking forward to see how things unfold over the next few months is an understatement.

Yes sir.  I really think Shero can get some back end help and maybe an extra RW.  But I really would like to be done with hearing about draft lotteries for a bit.

16 hours ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

Apparently some trouble brewing in CHI-town between MGMT and Coach Q after his assistant was fired. 

Do your damn thing Ray.

Can someone doctor up this webpage to make it look like Quenneville either played or coached in the Penguin organization at some point, and send it to Shero?  Ray might be interested then:

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=4425

Can someone doctor up this webpage to make it look like Quenneville either played or coached in the Penguin organization at some point, and send it to Shero?  Ray might be interested then:
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=4425

Hey we have his cousin! Get er done Ray! [emoji14]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Should we start getting worried about Kerfoot at this point? I know we have until August but there's not much else for Ray to do right now except choose between Nico and Nolan and try to get the ball rolling on some trades. Is Kerfoot even worth getting upset about losing to free agency?

8 minutes ago, Jerzey said:

Should we start getting worried about Kerfoot at this point? I know we have until August but there's not much else for Ray to do right now except choose between Nico and Nolan and try to get the ball rolling on some trades. Is Kerfoot even worth getting upset about losing to free agency?

While he is still very much up in the air in terms of how he will pan out, I would be at the very least annoyed if he left via FA.  This college loophole is dumb and prevents teams like us or Nashville from holding onto these guys.

2 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

While he is still very much up in the air in terms of how he will pan out, I would be at the very least annoyed if he left via FA.  This college loophole is dumb and prevents teams like us or Nashville from holding onto these guys.

Yeah I don't like it either. I like that they give incentive to finish you education but why give them the option for free agency? I will also be pissed at losing an asset but maybe we'll gain an asset with Kovy (whether we keep him or trade him).

Kerfoot isn't signing here (he could've signed and collected a signing bonus, played in a couple games, and burned a year off of his ELC, and he didn't, so what does that tell you?), especially now after the Devils won the lottery. He's probably gonna go to Vancouver where he'll have less competition and a much better shot at the NHL.

15 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Kerfoot isn't signing here (he could've signed and collected a signing bonus, played in a couple games, and burned a year off of his ELC, and he didn't, so what does that tell you?), especially now after the Devils won the lottery. He's probably gonna go to Vancouver where he'll have less competition and a much better shot at the NHL.

Actually I don't believe he could play for us, as Harvard was still playing until our season pretty much ended.  I believe Ray said he was going to touch base with him once he graduated... 

Actually I don't believe he could play for us, as Harvard was still playing until our season pretty much ended.  I believe Ray said he was going to touch base with him once he graduated... 

Harvard's season ended in time for him to play in the Devils last couple of games. 100% sure of that.

26 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

If the Devils do end up signing him before the draft, if anything it's a sign that the team is leaning towards Hischier who some say could end up being a winger.  Otherwise, if the choice is Patrick, there's really no room for Kerfoot, who's a center if the centers for the forseeable future are projected to be Patrick, McLeod, Zajac, Quenneville.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/article/stars-should-offer-the-no-3-pick-to-the-devils-for-cory-schneider

Stars should offer the No. 3 pick… to the Devils for Cory Schneider

I don't agree with the assumption that always seems to get thrown around that the Devils are not close to competing for a playoff spot (they are actually a decent shot to make the playoffs if Schneider returns to form and if they make one or two smart moves during the offseason and if Kovy comes back) but this would be something I would definitely consider. 

You could actually turn around and make a trade for Fleury, or some other goalie you might get .918 from. 

11 minutes ago, Daniel said:

You could actually turn around and make a trade for Fleury, or some other goalie you might get .918 from. 

In NHL 17 I would totally play some musical chairs with the goaltenders if the right offers were on the table, but in reality I don't think it makes much sense.

Then again, I'm not a GM.  Maybe Shero has some master plan in the works.

14 minutes ago, Daniel said:

http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/article/stars-should-offer-the-no-3-pick-to-the-devils-for-cory-schneider

I don't agree with the assumption that always seems to get thrown around that the Devils are not close to competing for a playoff spot (they are actually a decent shot to make the playoffs if Schneider returns to form and if they make one or two smart moves during the offseason and if Kovy comes back) but this would be something I would definitely consider. 

Take the deal if they add a sweetener, because their side would probably involve a deal which moves Stars' boat anchor(s) goaltender Lehtonen or Neimi maybe both. So it could be a cap space deal on top. How much can Shero buy from dealin Dallas and their mess?

I say a lot...  maybe time to move Green(old, slowing, but a help for the Stars. Devs in a rebuild anyway, I'd say, GO BIG this off season, grab Vilardi with that #3.

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dallas-stars/stars/2017/04/03/dallas-stars-get-rid-lehtonen-niemi-follow-plan-fill-void-goal

Edited by HOLLYWOOD