The NJ Offseason Thread

Derlique

37 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

FWIW, the Daily Mail is a UK publication so they probably don't know any better.  Most likely they saw he played in the NHL which is the highest league in the world for hockey and assume anyone playing in it is a star.

Which is actually very true in the grand scheme of things. 

2 hours ago, Chuck the Duck said:

The problem is, Shattenkirk is not a #1 defensemen, and has some holes in his game.  However, he is going to get paid like one on July1, and the expectations for this guy are going to be through the roof, no matter what team he signs with.  Unfortunately, he will never live up to his contract or the expectations that come with it, even though those expectations are unfair and unrealistic. 

That said, we absolutely should try to sign him in FA.  Like others have already said, he is better than anything we have on our roster.  Moreover, we have absolutely nothing in our system other than Rykov, who is likely at least 2 years from coming over from Russia.  I still don't think he will sign here, but it's worth the shot at this point.  His down playoffs is not ideal for him, but it doesn't diminish the player he is or what he has done in his career to date.  In fact, it might actually work to our advantage a bit and bring down the overall price on his deal a little.    

If he's not one of the 31 best dmen, he's certainly among the best #2's at 5v5. He's top tier on the PP. Every player has holes in his game to some degree. He's definitely one of the better UFA dmen in recent memory. 

Is Kevin Shattenkirk perfect? No

Do we have anyone better than Kevin Shattenkirk? No

Do we have anyone that projects to be better than Kevin Shattenkirk? No

Shattenkirk isn't a perfect player by any means, but an offensive defenseman of his ilk is nothing to scoff at. When you look at how bad the Devils were at transitioning and getting offense from their defense last year, you'd be dumb to say no to signing Shattenkirk if he gives any inclination of wanting to sign here.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

FWIW, the Daily Mail is a UK publication so they probably don't know any better.  Most likely they saw he played in the NHL which is the highest league in the world for hockey and assume anyone playing in it is a star.

and yet the Daily Mail still probably knows more about hockey than ESPN.  

Edited by Antiquated Colorado Rockie
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, CommonDreads said:

Is Kevin Shattenkirk perfect? No

Do we have anyone better than Kevin Shattenkirk? No

Do we have anyone that projects to be better than Kevin Shattenkirk? No

Shattenkirk isn't a perfect player by any means, but an offensive defenseman of his ilk is nothing to scoff at. When you look at how bad the Devils were at transitioning and getting offense from their defense last year, you'd be dumb to say no to signing Shattenkirk if he gives any inclination of wanting to sign here.

So you would sign him for 7 years at 7.5 million with a full ntc for the length of the contract if that's what it takes? Just curious.

56 minutes ago, Toasterleavins said:

So you would sign him for 7 years at 7.5 million with a full ntc for the length of the contract if that's what it takes? Just curious.

Too many years, IMHO. I might give him 5. 

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

Too many years, IMHO. I might give him 5. 

Problem is term might kill a deal as well.  Like most teams we want him in his prime years, not decline years. If he signed he is automatically our No. 1 D man.  I hope Ray makes a strong  effort to sign him.  Spooner-meh he could help offensively but what do you give to get him?  3rd rounder is reasonable.

BTW, I'm hoping we're able to get Joey Anderson's lil brother.(D man)  I think he's # 50 in rankings. 

6 hours ago, Toasterleavins said:

I would prefer a 5 or 6 year deal. I believe he is 28. So the contract would end when he is 33 or 34. I wouldn't mind that

A Right shooting puck moving D man in the prime of his career? Carolina could outbid us? Buffalo  might as well. Be prepared to pony up! Or let him go.

I can't believe that there is still debate to the signing of shatty. First off I doubt he really is going to want to come play here, lets be honest he grew up a ranger fan from the area and thats where he wants to go, maybe to the point that he may even go play for them for a heavily discounted rate. But who knows money talks and the fact that he wants to be in this area is pretty huge for us. I would have no issue giving him 7.5 per for 6 years. Again we have no one that is better then him or anyone coming up that is projected to be better then him, he instantly becomes our best Dman. we have alot of money, the only way to improve in FA is to spend it, lets start spending it to improve in areas that need improvement

2 hours ago, 2ELIAS6 said:

I can't believe that there is still debate to the signing of shatty. First off I doubt he really is going to want to come play here, lets be honest he grew up a ranger fan from the area and thats where he wants to go, maybe to the point that he may even go play for them for a heavily discounted rate. But who knows money talks and the fact that he wants to be in this area is pretty huge for us. I would have no issue giving him 7.5 per for 6 years. Again we have no one that is better then him or anyone coming up that is projected to be better then him, he instantly becomes our best Dman. we have alot of money, the only way to improve in FA is to spend it, lets start spending it to improve in areas that need improvement

The example I always think of is Ryan Clowe.

He really, really wanted to be a Ranger but Lou threw stupid money at him.  

Not all guys are the same obviously, but money talks.

• Like 1

On 5/5/2017 at 10:18 PM, fsu1852 said:

I would prefer a 5 or 6 year deal. I believe he is 28. So the contract would end when he is 33 or 34. I wouldn't mind that

We all would but the point is that it's most likely going take a 7 year offer at top dollar to even get him to consider coming here.   

23 hours ago, caron14 said:

we need him... Let face it... He is a 28 years old defenceman who would become our first defenceman... Be ready for a7 years contract and im fine with it

Same here.  I won't love the contract, but he would instantly be the best D-man on the team (with all due respect to a favorite of mine in Greene).  The top UFA are almost always overpaid but it is what it is and we don't have many other options.

I'd like for us to bring on Kulikov on a 1-2 year reclamation deal. LHD, young, has big boom potential and will most likely be able to be had for cheap.

Alzner should be an option as well, especially if we lose the Shattenkirk sweepstakes. 

Edited by TheMazz
  • Like 1