The NJ Offseason Thread

Derlique

44 minutes ago, Jerzey said:

Please pick up a copy of Gray's Sports Alminac in your travels.

What's the catch?  

No catch...bet on the Rangers not to win the Cup every season except 1994, and you'll never lose.

• Like 6

On 7/17/2017 at 1:28 PM, moustic said:

I read on hfboards this trade proposal with the Blues 

Jordan Schmaltz + Carl Gunnarsson + 2019 2nd for Adam Henrique

What would you think? 

Why those two defensemen?  I haven't seen them play, but Schmaltz is interesting, but I don't see how he's much better than Mueller in terms of value.  Why did the STL fans seem eager to ditch those two?  

Isn't Gunnarsson a trainwreck in his own end?  I was never a big fan of his.  His advanced metrics look bad too.  Pass.  Maybe Schmaltz, a 2nd, and a better d-man

I'm not sure how everyone else feels, but I would think the 2nd is the only thing that brings Ray to the table.  

I think a big question to ask is what role do you see Henrique playing on another team.  Teams aren't going to overpay for Henrique if they see him as a 3C in the best possible lineup situation.  I see him being perfect on a contender and slot him in at 3C, but you aren't going to trade 3 assets for that. If we see Henrique as barely a top 6 guy or just a top 6 guy on a good day, then why should we expect a whole lot coming back the other way at all?

Edited by RizzMB30

Columbus beat writer brightened my day with this response to the original tweet :evil: : 

Mark Scheig‏ @markscheig  

Mark Scheig Retweeted Michael Dunlap

Devils defeat Rangers in Messier guarantee game. How different would the history look?

Michael Dunlap‏ Verified account @DunlapSports

You can change the outcome of one sporting event during your lifetime. Which one would you choose and why?

• Like 2

Some Hall quotes from Puckdaddy about the offseason pickups: 

"We've got some good pieces," he said. "I don't think the team is done by any means. I think there still might be a couple things they're looking to do.

"But when you see Nico come along, Brian Boyle come in. The Johansson trade was huge for us, I think he's a great player, so that really gets you excited for camp and excited for the year."

Full article (not much too it though) in case anyone is interested:  https://sports.yahoo.com/impatient-encouraged-taylor-hall-likes-devils-offseason-adds-180636795.html

• Like 1

Good article. Hall seems like an insightful guy. He is known as a guy who really wants to win and is all hockey all the time. He might have a future as an executive when his playing career ends. 

On a side note, I didn't realize that there is such thing as a charity ping-pong tournament.

51 minutes ago, Antiquated Colorado Rockie said:

Good article. Hall seems like an insightful guy. He is known as a guy who really wants to win and is all hockey all the time. He might have a future as an executive when his playing career ends. 

On a side note, I didn't realize that there is such thing as a charity ping-pong tournament.

FWIW, I've heard third hand, but pretty reliably, that Hall has made it clear to people in the organization that he wants to be with the organization long term, and that reports that he's not happy in NJ are not accurate.

That would obviously change, I imagine, if in two years the Devils are still a bottom five team, but it's good to know it's not a situation where he's already planning an exit strategy.

• Like 3

Three years is a long time.  People need to stop worrying about what might happen with Hall three years from now.  We may not even want him to stick around by then...but assuming that we do, Shero is doing some good things.  Feels very much like this is headed in the right direction.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Nicomo said:

I should have been a hockey player...

To the tune of Dire Straits' "Money for nothin'"...

I should've learned...to skate on pond ice...

I should've learned...to shoot that puck...

• Like 6

31 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Pretty honest...had to be weird for him to see his old team make the playoffs without him. 

Feels like this is a big year for him...it feels like he's straddling that line of "good player who needs some help" and "possibly overrated".  He's averaged 24 goals and 38 assists over 82 GP in his past three seasons, and missed 39 games to boot.  I still have high hopes for him, but he seems like he could be one of those guys who just never does as much as you're hoping for.  That's why I'm not really worried about three years from now.  I think Hall still has a lot to prove. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, redruM said:

So I saw rumor that Devs Talking to Markov?

2 years max and I'm OK with it,. although I'd rather see them sign the Hobey Baker winner that will not sign with the Avs...

On Markov, I guess it depends on whether Shero has something like a soft tank in mind for this year.  Metro Division is extremely tough, and someone like Markov, even if he's not completely washed up, might help you win a few more games than you otherwise would but probably won't help get the team into the playoffs, and he's clearly not part of any long term solution.  Although I guess if he's a good lockerroom guy and might help the younger defensemen it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

Doubt Butcher signs here.

So Will Butcher, former Colorado Avs prospect and 2017 Hobey Baker recipient, has elected to not sign with the Avs and instead will be a free agent.

http://lastwordonhockey.com/2017/07/26/scouting-will-butcher-college-free-agent/

Sounds like something the Devils could desperately need as far as a defensive prospect.   I don't think he's a guaranteed home run blue-chip kinda guy, but it couldn't hurt to add free youngish talent.

Thoughts?  Hits the market 8/15.  I'm sure the cap-strapped teams will be all over him (read: Chicago).

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/9/2017 at 1:32 PM, Nicomo said:

Not sure where to ask this, but does anyone know when single game tickets go on sale? I'm planning a trip to NJ in Oct and I want to pick some good seats for a game. 

It looks like they already are? http://www.ticketmaster.com/venueartist/16847/805982?brand=devils&camefrom=NJD_DEVILS_WEB_NJD_NAVBAR&intcmp=tm203642&wt.mc_id=NHL_TEAM_NJD_NAV