2017 Expansion Draft Thread - LV Takes Jon Merrill

mfitz804

So we're currently around 4 million under the cap floor. I know a couple of guys will be getting raises (Severson, Bennett, Noesen, a goalie and maybe Josefson) but let's say Vegas does happen to take Cammy, we're suddenly going to almost struggle just to make the floor.

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/devils

PROJECTED CAP HIT q.svg : $51,665,001
PROJECTED CAP SPACE q.svg : $23,334,999
PROJECTED LTIR USED q.svg : $0
CURRENT CAP SPACE q.svg : $23,334,999
DEADLINE CAP SPACE q.svg : $105,007,496
TODAYS CAP HIT q.svg : $51,665,001
ROSTER SIZE: 14/23
CONTRACTS: 30/50

30 minutes ago, Jerzey said:

So we're currently around 4 million under the cap floor. I know a couple of guys will be getting raises (Severson, Bennett, Noesen, a goalie and maybe Josefson) but let's say Vegas does happen to take Cammy, we're suddenly going to almost struggle just to make the floor.

We might be able to get some good players to sign if we go the Clowe route and overpay.

5 hours ago, Jerzey said:

our best problem. Imagine bringing in a $105 million dollar player at the deadline.

5 hours ago, CarpathianForest said:

We might be able to get some good players to sign if we go the Clowe route and overpay.

Probably exactly what we should do, take some chances. Maybe not in a guy with a concussion/injury history this time. But I'd back the bank truck up to Shattenkirk's front door, etc. 

7 minutes ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

"The New Jersey Devils have signed F Lionel Messi to a 1 year $105 million dollar contract"

Only problem, all his goals keep getting waived off because of his distinct kicking motion. 

• Like 6

9 hours ago, Antiquated Colorado Rockie said:

they would be crazy not to, he is by far the best goalie available and not that old, contract is no problem.

Is this true?  MAF had a 909 last year in a very pedestrian season before having a decent playoff.  He's played a lot of games in his career, turns 33 shortly after the season begins, and has been the backup for the last 2 cups in PIT.  I'd easily take Grubauer (WAS), Korpisalo (CLB), and Mrazek (DET) ahead of MAF.  You also have Pickard (COL), Neuvirth (PHI), Malcolm Subban (BOS).  Lots of young options and guys that potentially have a lot of immediate upside.  MAF isn't going to be the franchise goalie, so I don't agree that it's an absolute no brainer.  Even if LVK picks a bunch of goalies, there are some intriguing options outside Fleury.  I also don't think he's a guy that can be easily flipped since he's not in the final year of his deal.

I'd rate him at the top. He was 920, 921 the years before that and 924 in the playoffs and has been a 60+ games starter. He won 9 games in the playoffs including the toughest series against Washington when his team was outchanced so it is a stretch to say he was the backup. A less accomplished 35 year old Mike Smith just returned some decent assets so I think his trade value would be just fine. Then I would mix in some of the young guys you mention as future options, I don't think any of them are great but there are some decent young goalies, like Grabauer.

9 hours ago, Sharifijanov2099 said:

Is this true?  MAF had a 909 last year in a very pedestrian season before having a decent playoff.  He's played a lot of games in his career, turns 33 shortly after the season begins, and has been the backup for the last 2 cups in PIT.  I'd easily take Grubauer (WAS), Korpisalo (CLB), and Mrazek (DET) ahead of MAF.  You also have Pickard (COL), Neuvirth (PHI), Malcolm Subban (BOS).  Lots of young options and guys that potentially have a lot of immediate upside.  MAF isn't going to be the franchise goalie, so I don't agree that it's an absolute no brainer.  Even if LVK picks a bunch of goalies, there are some intriguing options outside Fleury.  I also don't think he's a guy that can be easily flipped since he's not in the final year of his deal.

Mrazek isn't on MAF's level in the least.  Korpisalo doesn't have any experience, and Grubauer, while looking good so far, also hasn't play many games.  MAF isn't young, and obviously that's the difference, but he's a guy that's capable of being a starter and playing at a high level for a number of years to come.  If you ask me it makes perfect sense to take him and a guy like Raanta/Gudlevski/Grubauer.  If you do that, you then have an experienced veteran that will play 50-60 games for you for a few years and probably give your team a chance to win every night, meanwhile you still have a younger guy that eventually will take the reins in a few years as he continues to develop and settle into a starting role.  The biggest thing though is the first point I made, having a chance to win every night.  You have to remember that this is a new franchise, and even though there's a lot of hype around them in general, especially with them being in Vegas and a city that always has a lot of buzz around it regardless, you never want to start off your new franchise with consecutive years of losing seasons and general poor hockey.  People will eventually lose interest and it will be tough to build a strong fanbase.  I saw this happen with the Lightning when they lost 40 or more games 5 seasons in a row from 96 to 2002.  While they eventually turned things around and gradually grew a strong following, it took the better part of a decade and a half, and a fortunate Stanley Cup win, to make that happen.  Point is, I think you do everything you can in the initial years of your franchise to bring in a mix of both young talent and veterans to give your team the best chance to compete in its early stages.  Vegas was already a questionable market the last few years as they eventually got the greenlight to put a team here, I don't think you want to give anyone -- media, fans, owners, etc, a reason to start doubting and regretting the decision.

53 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Mrazek isn't on MAF's level in the least.  Korpisalo doesn't have any experience, and Grubauer, while looking good so far, also hasn't play many games.  MAF isn't young, and obviously that's the difference, but he's a guy that's capable of being a starter and playing at a high level for a number of years to come.  If you ask me it makes perfect sense to take him and a guy like Raanta/Gudlevski/Grubauer.  If you do that, you then have an experienced veteran that will play 50-60 games for you for a few years and probably give your team a chance to win every night, meanwhile you still have a younger guy that eventually will take the reins in a few years as he continues to develop and settle into a starting role.  The biggest thing though is the first point I made, having a chance to win every night.  You have to remember that this is a new franchise, and even though there's a lot of hype around them in general, especially with them being in Vegas and a city that always has a lot of buzz around it regardless, you never want to start off your new franchise with consecutive years of losing seasons and general poor hockey.  People will eventually lose interest and it will be tough to build a strong fanbase.  I saw this happen with the Lightning when they lost 40 or more games 5 seasons in a row from 96 to 2002.  While they eventually turned things around and gradually grew a strong following, it took the better part of a decade and a half, and a fortunate Stanley Cup win, to make that happen.  Point is, I think you do everything you can in the initial years of your franchise to bring in a mix of both young talent and veterans to give your team the best chance to compete in its early stages.  Vegas was already a questionable market the last few years as they eventually got the greenlight to put a team here, I don't think you want to give anyone -- media, fans, owners, etc, a reason to start doubting and regretting the decision.

Or you can get a head start on being a bad team and accumulating one of the top 3 picks for several years in a row.  That's another path (and probably a better one if you ask me).  MAF has some hockey left to be played, sure.  I just don't think it's an absolute certainty that he is the most talented option out there.  If the team goes with all young netminders and none pan out, at least they are getting an excellent top shelf pick for a while and can build a high octane team almost immediately.  I'm not sure I see the value is striving for mediocrity simple for the fans sake.  But we shall see.  Perhaps MAF will be one of the main guys selected.  Or perhaps not.

6 minutes ago, Sharifijanov2099 said:

Or you can get a head start on being a bad team and accumulating one of the top 3 picks for several years in a row.  That's another path (and probably a better one if you ask me).  MAF has some hockey left to be played, sure.  I just don't think it's an absolute certainty that he is the most talented option out there.  If the team goes with all young netminders and none pan out, at least they are getting an excellent top shelf pick for a while and can build a high octane team almost immediately.  I'm not sure I see the value is striving for mediocrity simple for the fans sake.  But we shall see.  Perhaps MAF will be one of the main guys selected.  Or perhaps not.

Well if you look at the list of available players, I'm not so sure their only two options are mediocrity or complete failure.  Sure it's unlikely that they are a playoff team within the first year or two, or maybe even 5 years if that's the track record for some of the most recent expansion teams, but it's not at all impossible, and again, the point of running a team is to win, and I see no reason why you should settle for anything other than striving to win the Cup, even if it's in your very first year.  I think MAF + someone else gives you a better chance to win than a tandem of young netminders.  

Maybe I'm impatient and/or unrealistic, but if I was in that city and excited about this new team starting up in that area and was going to be a fan, I'd want them (the owners, players, everyone involved), to be ready to go from day 1.  I understand it's a process, but simply taking your sweet time and accepting (dare I say embracing?) what seems to be an inevitable bottom feeding first three seasons or so (at least from your perspective) would definitely spoil some of the fanfare and luster for me. 

1 hour ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Well if you look at the list of available players, I'm not so sure their only two options are mediocrity or complete failure.  Sure it's unlikely that they are a playoff team within the first year or two, or maybe even 5 years if that's the track record for some of the most recent expansion teams, but it's not at all impossible, and again, the point of running a team is to win, and I see no reason why you should settle for anything other than striving to win the Cup, even if it's in your very first year.  I think MAF + someone else gives you a better chance to win than a tandem of young netminders.  

Maybe I'm impatient and/or unrealistic, but if I was in that city and excited about this new team starting up in that area and was going to be a fan, I'd want them (the owners, players, everyone involved), to be ready to go from day 1.  I understand it's a process, but simply taking your sweet time and accepting (dare I say embracing?) what seems to be an inevitable bottom feeding first three seasons or so (at least from your perspective) would definitely spoil some of the fanfare and luster for me. 

If vegas wins the cup this year then I'm done with sports forever

Vegas is not going to be good, and they're going to have a hard time being good 5 years from now, which is the real problem.

All indications are that McPhee is doing a hell of a job, but it's just hard to go from having no players to having a team.

14 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

McKenzie reporting that Vegas will stay away from Dumba, Scandella and Staal for the Wilds 1st round pick, Huala and Tuch.  That seems awfully light to skip on Dumba in my opinion.     

That's actually a good deal for Vegas. A 1st, Tuch and Haula who is pretty decent.

16 minutes ago, CarpathianForest said:

That's actually a good deal for Vegas. A 1st, Tuch and Haula who is pretty decent.

I was thinking they could have gotten more from Toronto or someone like that if they flipped Dumba.   I guess not if they accepted the rumored deal.      

3 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Vegas also getting a pick from the penguins to select MAF.

Interesting to me, because MAF seemed to be the consensus best goalie available anyway.

They are doing Pitt a huge cap favor by taking MAF so even if they were planning to take MAF anyway, they probably used the threat of taking Rust to squeeze out another pick.  I'm guessing this isn't a 1st rounder going to Vegas.     

Edited by Lateralous

56 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

McKenzie reporting that Vegas will stay away from Dumba, Scandella and Staal for the Wilds 1st round pick, Huala and Tuch.  That seems awfully light to skip on Dumba in my opinion.     

Wild don't have a first round pick this year.