2017 Expansion Draft Thread - LV Takes Jon Merrill

mfitz804

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

Brooks made some obscure tweet that makes it sound like Vegas selected Josefson.  Hopefully there was no side deal for that one other than something very minor like a sixth round pick.

Whether they take Josefson or not, I don't see why we'd offer them anything to select or not select anyone in particular.  Not like anyone left unprotected as a do or die player for us.  Save everything else we have, and let them pick whoever they want.  Whoever they get, it's basically scraping the bottom of the barrel.

So there's speculation that Vegas will claim Neal from the Preds, but then flip him.

Wonder what it'd cost.  He's a young enough guy where I'd be interested if the price wasn't outrageous. 

Edited by Devilsfan118

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

Brooks made some obscure tweet that makes it sound like Vegas selected Josefson.  Hopefully there was no side deal for that one other than something very minor like a sixth round pick.

I may be in the minority but Josefson is who I thought we were loosing form the start.  After the Mueller trade it I am closer to 66-33 Josefson - Merrill now.  He plays well in all situations.  Just can't score.  I know, get hurt every time he actually gets on a roll. Is he injury prone or unlucky?  I also know quite a few would be happy to see him go(which I am not one).

I also thought we were gonna make 1 or 2 more more moves before the protects were in so what do I know.   

Hopefully we make the 1 or 2 more moves during the draft because we just seem to have way too many picks.  I would be surprised if we gave up anything to protect any of our non-protects unless it was to unload Cam's $$

18 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Whether they take Josefson or not, I don't see why we'd offer them anything to select or not select anyone in particular.  Not like anyone left unprotected as a do or die player for us.  Save everything else we have, and let them pick whoever they want.  Whoever they get, it's basically scraping the bottom of the barrel.

I think something minor and ultimately close to worthless is worth it to make sure Vegas didn't select Merrill or Bennett. 

If Shero has done any deal with Vegas I hope it's to take the largest cap hit from us, as that will give us more cap space for free agents like Shattenkirk. 

I think Vegas are either going to have a fairly decent team from the get go or a hell of a lot of picks on friday. 

5 minutes ago, Aitchmack said:

If Shero has done any deal with Vegas I hope it's to take the largest cap hit from us, as that will give us more cap space for free agents like Shattenkirk. 

I think Vegas are either going to have a fairly decent team from the get go or a hell of a lot of picks on friday. 

Cap space will not be an issue for Shattenkirk and being able to sign him will not be impacted at all by Vegas taking Cammeleri or Lovejoy.  Both of their deals will be ending soon enough anyway.  If it were absolutely necessary, the Devils could probably buy out one or both of them.

40 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I think something minor and ultimately close to worthless is worth it to make sure Vegas didn't select Merrill or Bennett. 

I suppose that's true.  I've said before I'd be a bit disappointed if they took Merrill, but in all honesty, if neither of those guys improves upon their seasons from last year, then even if we offered up a 6th round pick, in a few years that 6th round pick could end up equaling either one of them.  I'm not saying that's all they're worth right now, but if the decline rather than get better, well I think most of us would agree they'd be inching close towards that same perceived minor and/or worthless mark themselves.

6 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Cap space will not be an issue for Shattenkirk and being able to sign him will not be impacted at all by Vegas taking Cammeleri or Lovejoy.  Both of their deals will be ending soon enough anyway.  If it were absolutely necessary, the Devils could probably buy out one or both of them.

Shattenkirk ain't coming here unless we throw a massive amount of dough at him. He's been on playoff bound teams for most of his career. I doubt he's going to be interested in going to a team that is at least 2 years away from a playoff spot.

5 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

McKenzie tweeted this morning that it looks like Vegas will claim Clayton Stoner, is passing on Vatanen/Manson, and Anaheim is giving them Shea Theodore for their trouble.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good deal for Anaheim.

5 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

McKenzie tweeted this morning that it looks like Vegas will claim Clayton Stoner, is passing on Vatanen/Manson, and Anaheim is giving them Shea Theodore for their trouble.

Unless there's more to this deal or they're really, really high on Theodore, it doesn't make a ton of sense to me from Vegas's standpoint.  Vatanen and Manson are both proven commodities, are young and on/will be on reasonable deals.  Instead, you take an unproven player and a bad contract? 

27 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Unless there's more to this deal or they're really, really high on Theodore, it doesn't make a ton of sense to me from Vegas's standpoint.  Vatanen and Manson are both proven commodities, are young and on/will be on reasonable deals.  Instead, you take an unproven player and a bad contract? 

that's what I think. I don't really get some of these reported deals. If I am Vegas I just take Vatanen and Dumba. Stock up on good players, espeically dmen, you can always flip quality dmen if you claim more than enough. Maybe there is more to the deals.

that's what I think. I don't really get some of these reported deals. If I am Vegas I just take Vatanen and Dumba. Stock up on good players, espeically dmen, you can always flip quality dmen if you claim more than enough. Maybe there is more to the deals.

You have to consider that Vegas isn't trying to build the best team for today- they are trying to build an organization from scratch. They need picks- picks are much more valuable to them than players at this point.

9 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

You have to consider that Vegas isn't trying to build the best team for today- they are trying to build an organization from scratch. They need picks- picks are much more valuable to them than players at this point.

That's true, I'd still be inclined to think the greatest trade value is with commodities like Vatanen and Dumba even if you trade them, though I guess a 1st is reported in the Minny deal.

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

As I understand it, this deal was done before they ever exposed Vatenen or Manson.   Basically the Ducks were short two protection slots.  Past that, there's really no one worth protecting.  Buying out Bieska would have been an easy way to get the first one so Murray probably told Vegas that if they didn't work out a deal for a lesser piece, he would do the buyout and trade Vatenen before the freeze, leaving Vegas with something like Kerdilies.  With that in mind, Theodore is a pretty nice pickup.       

Edited by Lateralous