In Russia NHL returns you. Kovalchuk staying in KHL.

Derlique

Reading the comments, I wasn't aware we were unable to dress a full team because of the Kovy signing. 

Yeah that dude is a little misinformed, although there were like two or three games right in the beginning of that first season after he signed the contract where we had to reduce the game roster for cap reasons- I don't remember all the particulars, but it wasn't nearly as big a deal as that guy was making it out to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Reading the comments, I wasn't aware we were unable to dress a full team because of the Kovy signing. 

They were right up against the cap and had a couple of early injuries and a suspension.  I think they wound up dressing like fifteen skaters in one game against the Pens.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Just now, NJDevs4978 said:

They were right up against the cap and had a couple of early injuries and a suspension.  I think they wound up dressing like fifteen skaters in one game against the Pens.

There's other precedent for it.  Think the Penguins or maybe the Bruins had to do it at one point.  Really wasn't a big deal.

2 minutes ago, Daniel said:

There's other precedent for it.  Think the Penguins or maybe the Bruins had to do it at one point.  Really wasn't a big deal.

Well it didn't exactly help, cause we got off to a lousy start and never recovered until Lemaire came back.

That whole summer there was upheaval over who was gonna go, and it wound up being nobody cause Langenbrunner wouldn't waive his NTC and they finally had to wait for divine intervention to strike when Rolston had his hernia or whatever just to get under the cap.  But they still couldn't make any additions to the roster cause they were that up against the cap.

55 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

'Stay in NYC' lmfao. If that's what it sounds like, I mean... That's rich as fvck. As if. emoji23.png

Uhh, yeah ok. Not a chance, unless "stay in NYC" includes the Devils. We're not trading him to the Rangers or Islanders. 

Florida, maybe...can we have Eckblad?

:D

Edited by mfitz804
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, fsu1852 said:

I'm not sure who this Slava Malmud is, but how does he know about Kovy's intentions?

Sign and trade doesn't yield much for the Devils.  Teams will know that Kovy won't play for the Devils, so they will low-ball us.  Take it or leave it offers.

Look, if I'm Ray Shero, I'm talking with Kovy to gauge his interest in playing in Newark.  He would instantly give the Devils credibility up front, and is a world-class talent.  He would attract other world class talent to join the Devils as well. 

I think Kovy and a Top 4 D-Man can bring the Devils to the playoffs next year.  Kovy over Parise all day when it comes to pure talent.  Attitude is a whole other story, but we don't buy tickets for attitude.  (See Odell Beckham Jr.)

1 hour ago, Mitico12 said:

I'm not sure who this Slava Malmud is, but how does he know about Kovy's intentions?

Sign and trade doesn't yield much for the Devils.  Teams will know that Kovy won't play for the Devils, so they will low-ball us.  Take it or leave it offers.

Look, if I'm Ray Shero, I'm talking with Kovy to gauge his interest in playing in Newark.  He would instantly give the Devils credibility up front, and is a world-class talent.  He would attract other world class talent to join the Devils as well. 

I think Kovy and a Top 4 D-Man can bring the Devils to the playoffs next year.  Kovy over Parise all day when it comes to pure talent.  Attitude is a whole other story, but we don't buy tickets for attitude.  (See Odell Beckham Jr.)

You're saying people don't buy tickets to see OBJ? You're lost and what does that have anything to do with Devils

1 hour ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

I think his point is that there's no correlation between attitude and ticket sales. Skill is skill, and people pay to watch that

If that's what he meant then I misunderstood.

Edited by fsu1852

9 hours ago, Mitico12 said:

I agree.  He doesn't say that he spoke to anyone, and bringing up the Rangers or isles is just him projecting with no real connections to anyone involved in the situation being referenced.

I swear some of these hockey writers are can be a bunch of washerwomen with talk, sometimes.  I think it's because this sport has killed off it's offseason, in relation to the other sports.  Not much hockey trades or UFA signings of significance as the other sports, so when something might go down these guys go really overboard. 

I still think you guys are underestimating his value as a sign-and-trade.

Assuming Kovalchuk is receptive to go anywhere (which, if he returns this year, he needs to be) then the bidding war will be very real.  Especially considering we can retain half his salary.

Teams will literally jump at the chance to add a top-6 elite scoring winger on a bargain contract.

40 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

I still think you guys are underestimating his value as a sign-and-trade.

Assuming Kovalchuk is receptive to go anywhere (which, if he returns this year, he needs to be) then the bidding war will be very real.  Especially considering we can retain half his salary.

Teams will literally jump at the chance to add a top-6 elite scoring winger on a bargain contract.

I agree.  If we are really allowed to sign him to a contract and then turn around and flip him at 50% retained, that's going to be a valuable asset to a lot of teams.  Unfortunately, I have a hard time believing the NHL will let it be that easy.    

38 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

I agree.  If we are really allowed to sign him to a contract and then turn around and flip him at 50% retained, that's going to be a valuable asset to a lot of teams.  Unfortunately, I have a hard time believing the NHL will let it be that easy.    

I mean, what're they gonna do?  Fine us a couple million bucks and dock us a few picks?  ;)

• Like 1

Someone mentioned this somewhere else but I think the best thing would be a trade with a conditional pick.  Devils get a 2018 2nd if that team misses the playoffs, they get a 3rd if Kovalchuk is traded, and they get a 1st if that team makes the playoffs and Kovalchuk plays 40+ games (otherwise they just get a 2nd).

Another thing I think we've been missing here, which I've seen discussed elsewhere, is that Kovy would want to get back in now so as to avoid having to sign a 35+ contract, which teams will be less indulgent with.  If true, it's more leverage for Shero.